Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm guessing with the next event they will start with the new indrik berries, so if you can't definitely get all 4 berries for this one, don't get any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Seyda Neen Jodhpur Ensemble + Abah's Watch Turban w/ Mask makes a good Mortal Kombat ninja outfit, so here's my team dressed up as all of them.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 9, 2019

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

re: Dragonguard quest

The grappling bow was a funny gimmick but they could have just brought a ladder

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
@NuggetPls

i want in ya nerds

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
Could I get an invite for @Zelmel when someone has the chance?

happynoodle
Aug 9, 2004
Not really happy.
I'd like an invite for @Onorai too, thanks lizard goons

Garbageman
Jun 6, 2004

Here I come! Too-Too-Toodlin' along!

The guild invitations go to the account name right? If so, please invite @epodes when you get a chance.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
I'm really enjoying this game but the goon guild I joined 5 years ago is completely dead. Please invite me so I can beg for training armor. @unculturedswine

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

zwdzk posted:

I'm really enjoying this game but the goon guild I joined 5 years ago is completely dead. Please invite me so I can beg for training armor. @unculturedswine

Invite sent.

wolf13
Oct 21, 2006
Please add @OddPiranha when you have the opportunity.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

wolf13 posted:

Please add @OddPiranha when you have the opportunity.

Invite sent

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
So I had totally forgotten that set crafting stations are a thing. I just started a 2H Stam Necro, what kind of training set should I make for him?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Hunding's/Night Mother's Gaze was the go-to for years, should still be fine.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Hi just started playing, if I could get an invite for @Shinesparking please.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Why are these holiday events always a loving shitshow?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Why are these holiday events always a loving shitshow?

Well, for one, it dropped during patch week.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Scyantific posted:

Well, for one, it dropped during patch week.

Is that why Zenimax can't pay for scaling servers? This poo poo has been happening since launch.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Is that why Zenimax can't pay for scaling servers? This poo poo has been happening since launch.

13 million players tho :airquote:

E: I'm with you, the performance issues p much drove me away. Right now I only log in for writs mainly out of habit, I can't be bothered to even go around doing the dumb event.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I tried classic wow for a bit but afaik bethesda/zeni aren’t quite as lovely a company as blizzard these days so I’m thinking of coming back to eso.

As a casual player and sometimes reader of this thread I’ve seen a fair amount of complaints lately but as a lame-o who isn’t into endgame dungeons the game should still be fun for questing, exploring and occasional battlegrounds, right?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Snowy posted:

I tried classic wow for a bit but afaik bethesda/zeni aren’t quite as lovely a company as blizzard these days so I’m thinking of coming back to eso.

As a casual player and sometimes reader of this thread I’ve seen a fair amount of complaints lately but as a lame-o who isn’t into endgame dungeons the game should still be fun for questing, exploring and occasional battlegrounds, right?

Yes to the first two, stay away from PvP tho. Utter shitfest there, performance issues out the rear end and dogshit balancing issues make it an unfun experience unless you're super sweaty.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Cool thanks! I’ll be back sometime before long, I’m sure I’ve been purged but at some point I’ll try for an invite on @Stinkhorn.

ShaveThePolarBears
Jun 5, 2019
I bought elder scrolls online. Spent 6 hours last night downloading it. Then another hour today patching it. Finally ready to play... AND THE SERVERS ARE DOWN!!!!!!!!!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Yesterday was the worst day for performance issues I've seen in a long time. I got disconnected and logged back on to find myself standing where I'd been about 10 minutes prior, minus the world boss clear and dremora skull I'd gotten since then. Then I killed the same boss again, and it didn't drop a skull.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I also bought the game friday. First reaction is fantastic!
I've made about 3-4 characters, playing to lvl 4 or 5, before settling on a beginner's guide for a stamina templar. I'm currently level 8, doing all sorts of quests in Vvarrendell.

Questing
Does it stay so heavily story-driven with voice acting? It is really great. If I read it correctly, it doesn't really matter where I quest as the world scales along? Are there any exceptions to this? I met a hooded figure that says "Main Questline", but I don't shoot myself in the foot if I don't follow that yet?
The quest with the father and his two children, with the memories you follow... :)
Is the game great to play through with 2 people? Questing together and the likes.

Adventuring
Right now, it seems really profitable to just go out and see what I find. Killing some monsters, finding chests and I found some treasure map. Is this something that remains in the game when you progress, or is this only for the first-time experience?
I'm also picking up tons of various materials and my bank is already clogged with crafting materials. I'll come back to this on the ESO part..
The world seems huge, by the way. Even without any expansions yet.

Gear
Gear seems quite rare. I sometimes find an item here or there, but everything is still basically the same. I try to stay on medium and heavy armour pieces and the guide seems to really promote dual-wield over 2h, even though I'd rather find a good 2h to play with. Is dual-wield far better for specific reasons?
I've also come across various items that have set bonuses. Are these generally sought after / strong, or should I not focus on it too much?

Crafting
Where to begin.. So many materials, so clueless what to do with them.
I have a basic understanding, I think, after doing the first certifications. I picked Cooking and Blacksmithing. The ore requirements of just the first writ is quite heavy. Seems like grinding for ore is real?
I sometimes find random recipes of various professions and I sort of learn them all on my character. Should I only learn the ones specific to my professions, or do they share across my account? The weapons and armour I can craft is still only from the Iron category, so it doesn't look like I can craft any upgrades. Might be best to find a crafting guide and start there, because it seems complicated, but very well done.
Fishing is a blast. My kid loves this and he's sitting next to me spotting all the nodes. I hope there is a lot of stuff attached to it / many different fish. :)

ESO
So even when cleaning up, I seem to have a huge lack of storage. 60 bank, 60 character it seems? I read about some endless crafting bag you get with the monthly sub. Can anyone sell me on that sub as a new player? Would it be smart or?
And exactly how should I buy this game? :) I just got the normal version for 20 euros, but there are tons of DLC / expansions. Is there a good way to buy them all or get access somehow?
I'm not against spending some money on this game; it seems to be really great so if I can make it a bit more comfortable...

Tips
Any recommendations for a first time player? What should I spend my gold on initially? Are there specific materials I should save / look out for? Do's or don'ts? :)
Is there an auction house of sorts to check prices / sell materials?

Really intrigued so far, hope it sticks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Acht posted:

Does it stay so heavily story-driven with voice acting? It is really great. If I read it correctly, it doesn't really matter where I quest as the world scales along? Are there any exceptions to this? I met a hooded figure that says "Main Questline", but I don't shoot myself in the foot if I don't follow that yet?
Yes. The world scales. Dungeons and other group content are going to be an exception in that you won't be able to solo them ... at first.

Acht posted:

Is the game great to play through with 2 people? Questing together and the likes.
Some people like questing together.

Acht posted:

Right now, it seems really profitable to just go out and see what I find. Killing some monsters, finding chests and I found some treasure map. Is this something that remains in the game when you progress, or is this only for the first-time experience?
No ... You can make gold as a lowbie just by looting everything and being smart about it. Treasure maps aren't particularly valuable, they are random drops, yeah. Keep looting everything if you want, but you're going to want that craft bag. It's not that the loot scales, it's that what seems like good gold to you right now really isn't.

Acht posted:

Gear seems quite rare. I sometimes find an item here or there, but everything is still basically the same. I try to stay on medium and heavy armour pieces and the guide seems to really promote dual-wield over 2h, even though I'd rather find a good 2h to play with. Is dual-wield far better for specific reasons?
I've also come across various items that have set bonuses. Are these generally sought after / strong, or should I not focus on it too much?
Just equip whatever is better for now. You're not seeing the full itemization yet and most of the set bonuses won't even make sense without a proper set of skills.

Acht posted:

I have a basic understanding, I think, after doing the first certifications. I picked Cooking and Blacksmithing. The ore requirements of just the first writ is quite heavy. Seems like grinding for ore is real?
Nah. You never have to grind for ore if you just do writs, you get survey maps (like treasure maps) to high count crafting nodes. Plus, mats are actually really cheap. Don't forget to deconstruct stuff if you're looking for mats and have enough gold.

Acht posted:

I sometimes find random recipes of various professions and I sort of learn them all on my character. Should I only learn the ones specific to my professions, or do they share across my account?
They're not shared across your account. You can get all of the professions if you want. Most random recipes you find are probably worthless, there's no harm eating them. If you think it may be worth something, check on TTC (https://tamrieltradecentre.com/) first.

Acht posted:

So even when cleaning up, I seem to have a huge lack of storage. 60 bank, 60 character it seems? I read about some endless crafting bag you get with the monthly sub. Can anyone sell me on that sub as a new player? Would it be smart or?
If you want to do crafting you basically need the craft bag. Yes it's worth the sub if you actively play the game. You can increase your bank and character storage by buying additional bank slots, buying additional backpack slots, and training your horse. You can also put chests down in houses you own. Some of this is expensive, some of this takes time, all of it can be Googled ...

Acht posted:

And exactly how should I buy this game? :) I just got the normal version for 20 euros, but there are tons of DLC / expansions. Is there a good way to buy them all or get access somehow?
I'm not against spending some money on this game; it seems to be really great so if I can make it a bit more comfortable...
Just play the content you have now, for now. You'll know when you hit a barrier. Subbing to ESO Plus will get you all the DLC, but not the latest Chapter, which is a paid expansion.

Acht posted:

Any recommendations for a first time player? What should I spend my gold on initially? Are there specific materials I should save / look out for? Do's or don'ts? :)
I would say just try to play the game and don't try to get all of your questions answered by one person in one go. You could also use Google a bit more than you have I guess.

Acht posted:

All trading is player driven through trading guilds that can bid on having a guild trader in a particular spot. Guild traders are marked on your map and are in major cities, there is a group of them in Vivec City on the way to the moongate wayshrine. If you join a guild, you will be able to trade in your guild's store right from your bank. You can join up to 5 guilds. You should join a guild or five.

Acht posted:

Just long enough to overstay.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Thanks for the information. :)
You do come across a bit sour regarding the game, but I might be mistaken? Is the game taking a turn more experienced players do not prefer?

I'll take your advice and just keep playing onwards and see if some things make more sense. I've gone through a 3 1/2 hour beginner's guide on youtube while playing, but it was strangely not that informative in the end.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's not really a great game to just 'learn everything by reading before' because there's a lot, it's more like 'play it like a single player RPG and then Google the systems you encounter that you don't understand'.

We've talked about it in the thread before haha, if you just like questing, no reason to pay too much attention to the salt. The endgame meta has been dragged from one extreme to the next in short order, which is what pissed *me* off ... don't really want to invest in getting good if they're going to invalidate everything every month or two ... but apparently PvP has been really poo poo for a while too. But that's just the typical gamer endgame. If you want quests and houses and costumes and stories and roleplay, all that stuff is there. The technical part hurts a bit. But I'm still subbed and patiently waiting. :-P

There's still enough content to have a lot of fun before the salt rubs off on you.

edit- re: crafting, deconstruct EVERYTHING.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 28, 2019

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

its okay to take beaks

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Pivo posted:

It's not really a great game to just 'learn everything by reading before' because there's a lot, it's more like 'play it like a single player RPG and then Google the systems you encounter that you don't understand'.

We've talked about it in the thread before haha, if you just like questing, no reason to pay too much attention to the salt. The endgame meta has been dragged from one extreme to the next in short order, which is what pissed *me* off ... don't really want to invest in getting good if they're going to invalidate everything every month or two ... but apparently PvP has been really poo poo for a while too. But that's just the typical gamer endgame. If you want quests and houses and costumes and stories and roleplay, all that stuff is there. The technical part hurts a bit. But I'm still subbed and patiently waiting. :-P

There's still enough content to have a lot of fun before the salt rubs off on you.

edit- re: crafting, deconstruct EVERYTHING.

Haha, I'll keep it nice and unsalty for now. :)
Did buy the ESO membership though, the lack of storage bugs me, so I don't mind trying that for a month.
Trying to deconstruct, but it only lets me do it on white items for now. Maybe I need to level up a bit more.
Did finish my first writ. Really good rewards there, so trying to keep those going daily.

Edit:
Level 11 now with a horse and an ultimate. This is fun as heck. And the crafting bag alone seems worth the sub..

Acht fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 28, 2019

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Acht posted:

Edit:
Level 11 now with a horse and an ultimate. This is fun as heck. And the crafting bag alone seems worth the sub..
I'm pretty sure that the majority of subs are for the crafting bag. The fact that you get about as many crowns from the sub as you would just buying them separately is a nice bonus.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

g0del posted:

I'm pretty sure that the majority of subs are for the crafting bag. The fact that you get about as many crowns from the sub as you would just buying them separately is a nice bonus.

Yeah so far it feels that the crowns you receive make the sub feel ok. Especially as I usually enjoy dress-up and from what I gather the store has an abundance of that as well.

The game really does feel like a huge RPG that just happens to be online so far. That's a good thing for me, but I must say I do miss a team-up here or there to defeat Nilbog for instance. That quest is in my log since I started and I am not sure how to handle it (group).
Is there a guild from SA active that is fairly open for new players? Wouldn't mind dipping my toes in some group content in a few levels.

I'm still resisting the urge to reroll. I found 4 defiler's items including a bow and now I feel like making an archer type class. This is exactly why I never got anywhere in Daggerfall and their follow-ups.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Acht posted:

I also bought the game friday. First reaction is fantastic!
I've made about 3-4 characters, playing to lvl 4 or 5, before settling on a beginner's guide for a stamina templar. I'm currently level 8, doing all sorts of quests in Vvarrendell.

Questing
The quest with the father and his two children, with the memories you follow... :)

Adventuring
I'm also picking up tons of various materials and my bank is already clogged with crafting materials. I'll come back to this on the ESO part..
The world seems huge, by the way. Even without any expansions yet.

Gear

Crafting
I sometimes find random recipes of various professions and I sort of learn them all on my character. Should I only learn the ones specific to my professions, or do they share across my account? The weapons and armour I can craft is still only from the Iron category, so it doesn't look like I can craft any upgrades. Might be best to find a crafting guide and start there, because it seems complicated, but very well done.
Fishing is a blast. My kid loves this and he's sitting next to me spotting all the nodes. I hope there is a lot of stuff attached to it / many different fish. :)

ESO

Tips

I'm a few months in, and it's already one of my favorite RPGs by a mile. It essentially has everything I wanted out of Oblivion and Skyrim (Which I also enjoyed immensely!). I am now level 50 with 200CP. This is all done with single player content. I haven't joined a single group yet, or done a dungeon. I've helped people kill dragons and some of the world bosses, but that's it. The entire storyline, quest system is great. I had a single "fetch" quest so far. One. Out of probably hundreds and hundreds of quests. One. Some of them are so well written that I'd read a book about it if it existed.

The crafting bag from a sub is pretty much required if you enjoy the game as much as I do. You want to collect all the ingredients. You'll have access to all the zones. A sub offers so much compared to any other MMO I've ever played. It comes off as a bargain compared to anything from WoW or Everquest back in the day. Some tips is that you want to research traits from weapons/armor asap. To craft the best gear you will need to have a lot of them researched. When you're researching the 5th trait for, say, a helmet, it might take 16 days to do it. The last one I think takes 60+ days to research. If you get any "instant research" scrolls SAVE THEM for the longer researches! Each day you can do a daily writ for each crafting ability. These give you a pile of crafting XP and extra ingredients. Do these every day! Crafting goes 10x faster. Node hunting is fun in itself. It's relaxing. I love just spending an hour just sightseeing while node hunting. This game has so many metagames to enjoy.

I expanded my normal storage bag to about 130 slots and it didn't cost too much gold. You get a ton of gold from doing crafting writs and the quests themselves. It'll go pretty easy. Gold becomes plentiful questing and such.

You also can upgrade your horse every 20 hours. Do this. I would suggest speed first, then stamina or bag space. Bag space might seem important now, but really just buy those on their own and upgrade your horse with speed first.

Gear, just try and use the best as you go up. It really only becomes a thing when you hit level 50 and 160cp. Gear stops upgrading at that point. So until then, just use what you want and enjoy the questing. CP are Champion Points. They are smaller sub-levels that xp goes into once you hit level 50. Each point can be spent on stuff like "Raise your magika regen by 0.22%" and similar. One thing that is cool is if you get say 800 CP on your guy, and you make a second character - Once you hit 50 you get the 800 CP on that dude also. (This is what I've been told, I haven't gotten a second character personally)

Selling items, joining a guild will often have a set vendor somewhere. There is no global auction house on purpose to keep the economy a bit harder to game. You can use the Tameriel Trade site which is somewhaaaat close to real-time. But not really. There are addons that will help with trading to an extent. (Shows you average sell values, etc)

Mostly, the game is entirely overwhelming, and you should just embrace it. Respecing is cheap so dont worry about doing that wrong, armor isn't important till wayyy later, dont worry about it. Just enjoy everything being overwhelming. The only things you want to do from asap is your horse upgrades daily, your daily crafting writs, and your crafting reseach. Now if you're a caster using light armor, focus on researching light armor. Etc.

I love this game so much. They have events every month almost, and new content ever other month. There is just so. much. to. do.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 29, 2019

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You actually get the cp right from the get go on new characters. Don't have to wait for lvl 50.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Aaaaand the login server is down again. Good grief.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Philthy posted:

I'm a few months in, and it's already one of my favorite RPGs by a mile. It essentially has everything I wanted out of Oblivion and Skyrim (Which I also enjoyed immensely!). I am now level 50 with 200CP. This is all done with single player content. I haven't joined a single group yet, or done a dungeon. I've helped people kill dragons and some of the world bosses, but that's it. The entire storyline, quest system is great. I had a single "fetch" quest so far. One. Out of probably hundreds and hundreds of quests. One. Some of them are so well written that I'd read a book about it if it existed.

Thanks for the extensive write-up, this is fantastic!
So far I'm also really impressed with the quests. I normally click through everything in other games, but I find myself really invested so far. It adds a ton to the enjoyment of levelling. As you mostly play solo, what would you say is your end-game? Gear upgrades, transmogs, ?

quote:

The crafting bag from a sub is pretty much required if you enjoy the game as much as I do. You want to collect all the ingredients. You'll have access to all the zones. A sub offers so much compared to any other MMO I've ever played. It comes off as a bargain compared to anything from WoW or Everquest back in the day. Some tips is that you want to research traits from weapons/armor asap. To craft the best gear you will need to have a lot of them researched. When you're researching the 5th trait for, say, a helmet, it might take 16 days to do it. The last one I think takes 60+ days to research. If you get any "instant research" scrolls SAVE THEM for the longer researches! Each day you can do a daily writ for each crafting ability. These give you a pile of crafting XP and extra ingredients. Do these every day! Crafting goes 10x faster. Node hunting is fun in itself. It's relaxing. I love just spending an hour just sightseeing while node hunting. This game has so many metagames to enjoy.

The crafting bag is already something I don't see myself ever parting from. It makes just picking up all ingredients and not worry about them so much more convenient. It also handily seperates all the other loot, so I can filter and learn it quicker. I'm still playing wherever it is my character started, but perhaps now I can go to Coldharbour somehow for some Blacksmithing thing I have. :)
With regards of the writs; I took Cooking and Blacksmithing, but I've only been doing the daily blacksmithing writ. Can I simply add all professions, or can only 1 be active?
I'll check the research, I haven't seen it yet I think. I did see that my next level-up gives me a scroll, so I'll definetely save it. :)

quote:

I expanded my normal storage bag to about 130 slots and it didn't cost too much gold. You get a ton of gold from doing crafting writs and the quests themselves. It'll go pretty easy. Gold becomes plentiful questing and such.

You also can upgrade your horse every 20 hours. Do this. I would suggest speed first, then stamina or bag space. Bag space might seem important now, but really just buy those on their own and upgrade your horse with speed first.

Yeah since the crafting bag, I'm doing alright with storage for now. The horse I've been putting a point in speed daily. Now and then I see someone fly by and I notice I have a long way to go, hah.

quote:

Gear, just try and use the best as you go up. It really only becomes a thing when you hit level 50 and 160cp. Gear stops upgrading at that point. So until then, just use what you want and enjoy the questing. CP are Champion Points. They are smaller sub-levels that xp goes into once you hit level 50. Each point can be spent on stuff like "Raise your magika regen by 0.22%" and similar. One thing that is cool is if you get say 800 CP on your guy, and you make a second character - Once you hit 50 you get the 800 CP on that dude also. (This is what I've been told, I haven't gotten a second character personally)

Selling items, joining a guild will often have a set vendor somewhere. There is no global auction house on purpose to keep the economy a bit harder to game. You can use the Tameriel Trade site which is somewhaaaat close to real-time. But not really. There are addons that will help with trading to an extent. (Shows you average sell values, etc)

The gear bit is maybe a bit dissapoint to me right now, but I can't really judge obviously. Every item is still the same Iron Sword with no real variation. I presume it is all a bit more grounded in the gameworld. I keep finding, what I think is, transmog recipes. These simply cost gold to apply, but if you change an item, you would have to re-apply it? They are all too costly for me now, but that will change.
I searched for the auction house / selling and read up about those guild vendors. I think that's a very neat idea, to keep economies small-scale. Think I should dip my toes in add-ons. I picked up the UI one the first post talks about, but it's fairly buggy with LUA errors.

quote:

Mostly, the game is entirely overwhelming, and you should just embrace it. Respecing is cheap so dont worry about doing that wrong, armor isn't important till wayyy later, dont worry about it. Just enjoy everything being overwhelming. The only things you want to do from asap is your horse upgrades daily, your daily crafting writs, and your crafting reseach. Now if you're a caster using light armor, focus on researching light armor. Etc.

I love this game so much. They have events every month almost, and new content ever other month. There is just so. much. to. do.

This really is great, yeah. I do follow a beginner's build strictly, but I have to say it is not the most fun. I can understand it lets you shoot a bow once or twice, puts a point in it just so that it levels, but ok. I'll follow it for now as it does explain very well how and why certain things are done and which milestones I reach. Next to that, I just do quests and run around. :)

Would I be able to add you in-game, if I may? (I'm EU though)

ps: These log-in issues are a bit irritating by now. I think I've had issues every other day since I've started.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Re: Lua errors, an application called Minion UI can keep your UI addons up to date. If a patch drops and an author fails to update the add-on in time, the comment thread on ESOUI will usually have a hotfix in the comments.

Sometimes authors let big addons languish for too long though and they are beyond a simple hotfix from working

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Pivo posted:

Re: Lua errors, an application called Minion UI can keep your UI addons up to date. If a patch drops and an author fails to update the add-on in time, the comment thread on ESOUI will usually have a hotfix in the comments.

Sometimes authors let big addons languish for too long though and they are beyond a simple hotfix from working

Cheers, I'll grab Minion UI straight away.
I've only been using AdvancedUI so far from the OP.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 6, 2019

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Acht posted:

So far I'm also really impressed with the quests. I normally click through everything in other games, but I find myself really invested so far. It adds a ton to the enjoyment of levelling. As you mostly play solo, what would you say is your end-game? Gear upgrades, transmogs, ?
My end game is to complete the story and be a big guddam hero. I do not care about raiding, pvp, housing, or vet dungeons.

Acht posted:

The crafting bag is already something I don't see myself ever parting from. It makes just picking up all ingredients and not worry about them so much more convenient. It also handily seperates all the other loot, so I can filter and learn it quicker. I'm still playing wherever it is my character started, but perhaps now I can go to Coldharbour somehow for some Blacksmithing thing I have. :)
With regards of the writs; I took Cooking and Blacksmithing, but I've only been doing the daily blacksmithing writ. Can I simply add all professions, or can only 1 be active?
I'll check the research, I haven't seen it yet I think. I did see that my next level-up gives me a scroll, so I'll definetely save it. :)
You can level and max out all crafting professions on one character. You will eventually get enough skill points that you can get everything profession-wise and your weapon/class skills. You should prioritize the skills that allow you to research multiple items at once and reduce research time (same skill). Also the skills that get you better results when deconstructing equipment.

Acht posted:

Yeah since the crafting bag, I'm doing alright with storage for now. The horse I've been putting a point in speed daily. Now and then I see someone fly by and I notice I have a long way to go, hah.
Prioritize speed, carrying capacity, and then stamina. Without using skill books, which occasionally come up as daily log in rewards - never buy them from the cash shop, it will take six months and 45000 gold to max out your riding skills. Note that 45k gold is pocket change at high levels.

Acht posted:

The gear bit is maybe a bit dissapoint to me right now, but I can't really judge obviously. Every item is still the same Iron Sword with no real variation. I presume it is all a bit more grounded in the gameworld. I keep finding, what I think is, transmog recipes. These simply cost gold to apply, but if you change an item, you would have to re-apply it? They are all too costly for me now, but that will change.
I searched for the auction house / selling and read up about those guild vendors. I think that's a very neat idea, to keep economies small-scale. Think I should dip my toes in add-ons. I picked up the UI one the first post talks about, but it's fairly buggy with LUA errors.
Those pages you are finding are crafting recipes that will allow you to craft and transmog the specific piece listed in the recipe. IE using the recipe for Dremora shoulders will allow you to craft shoulder armor in the dremora style or transmog a shoulder piece to the dremora style (using gold or outfit tokens.)

As for UI add-ons, grab one that shows the locations of skyshards on your map and compass. Same for books that increase your Mages Guild rep/level. Another one I use puts a maker on your map when you activate a treasure map, though this is more useful once you have unlocked most of the quick travel points and can zip around the world.

Acht posted:

This really is great, yeah. I do follow a beginner's build strictly, but I have to say it is not the most fun. I can understand it lets you shoot a bow once or twice, puts a point in it just so that it levels, but ok. I'll follow it for now as it does explain very well how and why certain things are done and which milestones I reach. Next to that, I just do quests and run around. :)
The bolded part is the most important thing to keep in mind. Respeccing is cheap so feel free to deviate from the builds and experiment.

Acht posted:

ps: These log-in issues are a bit irritating by now. I think I've had issues every other day since I've started.
With the "Infinite" 100% experience boost from the Halloween event a lot of people are playing more then usual to level up Champion Points and/or alts and to farm up the new Halloween collectables. Or sell the collectables for tons of gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Acht posted:

Yeah, there have been a few quests that I have clicked through simply because it started to feel like a quest was being repetitive for the sake of making it a 30 minutes quest instead of a 15 minute quest. Not too many have been like that, but there are some. I've also clicked through quests if the quest giver is one of the annoying guys that literally chases you around a zone or falls out of a window every time you walk past. Basically if I get annoyed, the quests becomes a quick click through.

I honestly don't know what my end game will be. Housing maybe? Finishing all the zone main quest lines? I haven't thought about it much.

quote:

You can do them all, every day. I usually sign in, get my horse upgrade, do 7 writs, then go adventuring. I've got 6 of the 7 craft lines at 50 now. I'll probably slow down and not do them as often once the final one is maxed. You still get lots of stuff doing them, but my motivation for maxing them is to be able to craft all the housing stuff and make set gear if I ever want to.

quote:

The gear bit is maybe a bit dissapoint to me right now, but I can't really judge obviously. Every item is still the same Iron Sword with no real variation. I presume it is all a bit more grounded in the gameworld. I keep

I sort of agree with you on it. But you can customize a lot of it. ESO held back on making piles of really hard to acquire unique gear and opted for a more casual stance. Which I guess is a trade off.

quote:

I should dip my toes in add-ons. I picked up the UI one the first post talks about, but it's fairly buggy with LUA errors.

Yeah. Add-ons are great in this game, but it will take time to get them set up.

Minion is your friend as it will sort a lot of this out.

My "must haves" are:

pChat
AwesomeGuildStore
LoreBooks
SkyShards
BanditsUI

Also someone mentioned using Reshade effects processor which, imo, makes the game twice as beautiful. It makes everything "pop". It was kind of a pain to get going if I remember right, but it was worth it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/elderscrollsonline/mods/127/?tab=posts

quote:

Would I be able to add you in-game, if I may? (I'm EU though)

I'm in NA. :/

The login issues are a first for me. I only noticed when they messed up a patch last weekend and they took the servers down for 3 hours. I haven't had any issues with a sub 100 ping before and after. I'm NA tho, so ... yeah.