Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I hope Karishma and Noura go all the way into finale night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I literally puked on the bar of an Applebees like 20 years ago while doing many shots of vodka with a friend.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

I literally puked on the bar of an Applebees like 20 years ago while doing many shots of vodka with a friend.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

TMMadman posted:

And it was still more appetizing than anything on the menu.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Gosh. I think Dean might be one of the most attractive people I've ever seen on Survivor. Love seeing him pop up on my news feed

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I’ve never eaten at an Applebee’s, because any place that has an Applebee’s also has at least 1 other place nearby that serves food, and I’d rather go anywhere else.

One thing I don’t get about Karishma and the challenges, is why does her tribe keep giving her a big job to do, where she will be certain to slow them down and give the opposition a lead?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

she's bad at every job. no matter where they put her, she'll gently caress it up. she's a deer in the headlights 100% of the time. she nearly bled to death because she curled up into a ball when she sliced her hand open cutting a loving piece of fruit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

she's bad at every job. no matter where they put her, she'll gently caress it up. she's a deer in the headlights 100% of the time. she nearly bled to death because she curled up into a ball when she sliced her hand open cutting a loving piece of fruit.

"cutting" is a pretty generous way to describe what she was doing but yeah

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Applebees has like one thing that I really like, their Fiesta Lime Chicken. Everything else is okay to mediocre. There used to be one in my hometown, but the owner of the building they were in tried to jack up their rent and they responded by immediately announcing the permanent closure of that location and sending trucks to pick up all their poo poo the very next day. On the one hand, that's kind of hilarious, but on the other, that's a decent number of people who went from stably employed to unemployed in the span of like one day because of a conflict between a greedy corporation and a greedy landlord. :shrug:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Older Survivors are the biggest whiners?

Like Boomers.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
It's very cool to me that Erik gets routinely dumped on every time as a reference every time someone makes a survivor mistake and he's still cool about it like, 45 years later

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That tweet was boss.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As somebody from Oceania and not North America I literally have no idea what Applebees is. They seem fine? Like big servings but that's American dishes for you right? Like a Dennys or something. But how amazingly overblown were their responses to the reward reveal OMG OMG I LOVE APPLEBEEEES!

I also love it when they shoehorn in products that I literally cannot buy even if I wanted to. It's like having an immunity.

Saying that, I still need to get around to watching Jack and Jill staring Adam Sandler.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Applebees is a fancy sit-down for us poors.

Like, half a step above Chili's but not as ritzy as the good steakhouse you only go to once a year because you can't justify it more often.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well if you are living on rice for 12 days, someone saying you get Applebees, you're gonna love the poo poo out of it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

half a step above Chili's
Lol not a chance

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I used to work commercial food, and from word around town, no joke, virtually every Applebee's anything came by way of microwave. There were plenty of disgusting kitchens around town, but Applebee's is where food careers went to die.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Applebees is just kind of the standard US corporate diner that has too big a menu to appeal to too many people so it can't do anything with any real care and kind of tries to sell itself as both a family restaurant and your corner bar making it weird for both. There's worse places you can go for a sandwich or some appetizers (which is their big thing) but you're definitely not being drawn in for their food unless you're just one of those people who turns their nose up at anything local or "ethnic" or whatever and go for the commercial option.

But like, Applebees appetizers have been great a few nights when I was drunk and "starving" so I'm sure its mana from the gods to a Survivor after 2 weeks of rice.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Not without a loving bloomin' onion it isn't.

....was there a bloomin' onion?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
As far as chain casual dining goes, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse, and TGI Friday's are all above Applebee's

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Thank goodness this blatant advertisement has no effect on us.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Never had Applebee's but I can only imagine whatever drinks they would be having would have way too much alcohol and sugary syrup to be good for you when you've been subsisting on rice and water.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

How about they take a tip from season 6 - amazon where to prep the tribe for an immunity challenge they gave them spears and blow darts.

e: two good things about amazon: cast members are comfortable to wander off and do stuff like fish all day. there is this slow quiet to the whole adventure. and secondly, stuff like big spider bite reactions (she couldn't bend her knee). and piranhas biting deeply into fingers is super common and weirdly casually dealt with. like i'm sure the medics looked at them behind the scene but injuries are rarely their own beat. its more like 'oh yeah also while building the shelter he cut his leg a bit'.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 29, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ApplesandOranges posted:

Never had Applebee's but I can only imagine whatever drinks they would be having would have way too much alcohol and sugary syrup to be good for you when you've been subsisting on rice and water.

Well, if they gave the Survivors anything like what they (probably) serve in the restaurants. They'd probably be lucky to get 2 ounces of liquor in those shark bowls.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Propaganda Machine posted:

Not without a loving bloomin' onion it isn't.

....was there a bloomin' onion?

Bloomin' onion is Outback

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lampsacus posted:

How about they take a tip from season 6 - amazon where to prep the tribe for an immunity challenge they gave them spears and blow darts.

e: two good things about amazon: cast members are comfortable to wander off and do stuff like fish all day. there is this slow quiet to the whole adventure. and secondly, stuff like big spider bite reactions (she couldn't bend her knee). and piranhas biting deeply into fingers is super common and weirdly casually dealt with. like i'm sure the medics looked at them behind the scene but injuries are rarely their own beat. its more like 'oh yeah also while building the shelter he cut his leg a bit'.

The camp conditions are a lot 'safer' now since they want to focus more on gameplay and less on the actual survival aspects. The water wells have purification tablets in them so they don't even have to boil it, for example.

nerox
May 20, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

Bloomin' onion is Outback

I went to Outback Saturday for the first time in very long time, so I am running way behind on my Survivor sponsorship meals.

I forgot just how greasy a Bloomin Onion is.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I think the main reason a lot of the early seasons are so much harder is that the show didn't actually know what it was doing yet and the fact that they didn't accidentally kill anyone is a minor miracle.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

I think the main reason a lot of the early seasons are so much harder is that the show didn't actually know what it was doing yet and the fact that they didn't accidentally kill anyone is a minor miracle.

That and they realized that the survival aspect of the game is by necessity a sham since there are crew people swarming everywhere at all times, and they should just focus on the things that are real like the stress of being very hungry and the occasional pig-killing or chicken-freeing

nerox posted:

I forgot just how greasy a Bloomin Onion is.

It's terrible. The version they have at Texas Roadhouse is far, far superior.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I miss a lot of the survival stuff, but also its probably for the best if we never again have a bunch of people get told they need to stay in the fence so the lions don't eat them or go take water from the stream the elephants are pooping in.

I really gotta rewatch Survivor Africa.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So last night I decided that Rob and Sandra's giant heads are actually cabins and that's where the two of them have been living this whole time.

The eyes are windows.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yes! I've also come to the same realization. My other theory is that Island of the Idols is where Jeff has been living this whole time. And he'd spend his mornings after breakfast looking at the giant heads, then unfolding a page of printed lyrics from his pocket and start rapping.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wish I could get a sweet gig like Jeff, just make the millions without having to participate in the game for the rest of your life.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Invalid Validation posted:

I wish I could get a sweet gig like Jeff, just make the millions without having to participate in the game for the rest of your life.

I love watching Jeff but the reality is I couldn't schmooze the chuds he has to

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Looks like Australian Survivor is going to be running an All Stars season in early 2020... Gonna be a whole lot of Survivor early in 2020!

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/reality-tv/survivor/survivor-australia-all-stars-contestants-2020-59684

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I miss a lot of the survival stuff, but also its probably for the best if we never again have a bunch of people get told they need to stay in the fence so the lions don't eat them or go take water from the stream the elephants are pooping in.

I really gotta rewatch Survivor Africa.

You're a better person than I. At this point I mostly wish for a Survivor where there is only one survivor.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Looks like Australian Survivor is going to be running an All Stars season in early 2020... Gonna be a whole lot of Survivor early in 2020!

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/reality-tv/survivor/survivor-australia-all-stars-contestants-2020-59684
This is going to be a must-watch based on the great pool of players they have for an all-stars

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Should I muscle through all the seasons I haven't seen before watching? It's a lot. I've only seen season 1.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Zesty posted:

Should I muscle through all the seasons I haven't seen before watching? It's a lot. I've only seen season 1.

Definitely watch season 2, which is the strongest season by a long shot. Season 3 is pretty fun, IMO and despite there being a mild pagonging may have the overall most memorable cast, at least to me. Season 4 has the least number of super memorable players, but the ones who are, are great (one of which is a s2 returnee, the best player).

Survivor AUS is super easy to watch, honestly, because despite being longer than US it's overall more fun and has just more joy and less editing chicanery bullshit. They also still do intros which ARE MY FAVORITE THING YET CBS DECIDED TO NOT DO ONE FOR THIS SEASON EVEN TO PUT ON YOUTUBE IT JUST FLAT OUT DOESNT EXIST FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 39 SEASONS WHY WOULD YOU NOT DO THIS?!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I disagree it's super easy to watch. There's great production, the intros are loving cinematic and epic as hell, but at the same time, they're super long, there's heaps of em, and personally the little cultural disconnects make it a little harder to casually slip into.