Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"A poll indicating the liberal democrats are a very small swing away from a general election majority, at this time of year, in this part of the country, located entirely within your office?"

"Yes!"

"May I see it?"

"No."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Jo Swinson is on R4 claiming that the Lib Dems have internal polling showing that they're only "a very small swing" from winning hundreds of seats.

I mean, she kinda has to say things like that. Bit difficult to fight an election while holding yourself out to be one of the major options and then say "Frankly people, we don't have a chance of winning".

The Lib Dems only need a few % bigger swing from what ths polls currently say than Labour does...

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I really hope labour remember to point out that austerity was a Tory and lib dem project, I feel a lot of people need to be reminded.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
and that Swinson voted for it and still thinks it was a good idea

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sanford posted:

I went a bit wrong last night and ate five jacket potatoes, is this election fever?

Are you sure that you're not actually some kind of farm animal?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Happy to see an election at last but still a little sad we never got to see a

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

In the bizarre case that the entire country gets brain spiders and votes the Lib Dems into power, who even would take up cabinet positions? They don't have enough members currently to have a full shadow cabinet do they? Are we expecting complete nobodies to become Foreign Secretary?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

In the bizarre case that the entire country gets brain spiders and votes the Lib Dems into power, who even would take up cabinet positions? They don't have enough members currently to have a full shadow cabinet do they? Are we expecting complete nobodies to become Foreign Secretary?

They'll just let them pull straws out of a hat.
It's all fun and games until Philip Davies becomes Minister for Equality

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mrenda posted:

My world (kitchen) was changed when I found out you could do waffles in the toaster. Basically, I had to stop buying waffles lest I turn into one (from eating so many.)

People buy waffles?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Could be better than the somebodies we have now.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

mediadave posted:

Is it worth joining momentum? Is anyone here a member?
*raises hand*

Honestly it's a bit of a shite organisation, and the local lot round here are pretty useless, but they are an excellent campaign machine & help unify the left vote so it's worth joining just to chuck then some dues for campaigning & get the emails saying how to vote, where to campaign, &c

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

D. Ebdrup posted:

So who got closest on that poll on the google doc that I've apparently lost the link to?

What this?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

:siren: Election Sweepstakes :siren:

I did the googlesheet here it is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/101ShRNc4MC1YtBI2XE0ru8rda4aTlNBaIytsutD-QIc/edit?usp=sharing

There are various ways of doing an election sweepstakes but they're all poo poo imo, since we got an xls to auto calculate stuff we're doing sum of squares. just enter your best guesses, that's how to win

Careful not to doxx yourself with a Google account, use incognito if you want to be anonymous.

I don't really know what you mean because we won't know who got closest until the election? I assume you mean something else?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

EvilHawk posted:

They have 18 MP's now iirc, and a bare-minimum cabinet consists of a PM & 22 ministers, not including junior ministers, whips, etc. If they were to win power then of course they'd have enough MP's, but they'd be filling top positions with people who have likely never been an MP or even been to Westminister before. That's such a bad recipe for a new government I'm not sure Armando Iannucci would have written about it.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
https://twitter.com/ukpapers/status/1189451945658011648?s=21

sexy Corbyn makes this

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

is there gona be pmq's today or is parliament dissolved

I regret to inform you that there is PMQs today

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They used the most sexy smouldering photo of Jeremy they could find and said he's 'scowling'.

Also they seem to have finally ditched the October 31st countdown calendar. I'm disappointed.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

His Divine Shadow posted:

People buy waffles?

look nobody has time to render down potatoes into slurry and then form them into delicious grid shapes

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

EvilHawk posted:

If the current Libdem parliamentary trend continues, I'm sure they'll be able to borrow enough suitably qualified Tories.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

"Boris wins election date" really? Interesting spin that. Obviously a new election is hard fought and won by *checks notes* the sitting unelected prime minister presiding over a PR disaster.

Can't wait for the next world cup where the norwegian national team will be lauded in the newspapers for winning a trip back home

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Just checked how my new constituency has voted previously and it's fairly solidly Labour, in 2017 by about 5000 votes so looks like I'm in a good place to help that majority! Bring this fucker on.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
go status: Here we, loving

His Divine Shadow posted:

People buy waffles?

Awkward to shoplift and not much resale value

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

mod edit: nope nope nope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

From a few bages back, but JFC, just what was in that post?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Aumanor posted:

From a few bages back, but JFC, just what was in that post?

pretty sure it was joking about murdering a politician or something along those lines

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

hello to Mi5 who are having to read this thread :wave:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ItohRespectArmy posted:

pretty sure it was joking about murdering a politician or something along those lines
Technically maybe but it really depends who happened to be in the Houses of Parliament at the time

E: lmao imagine joining mi5 thinking you're gonna be a super badass pawn of imperialism & instead have to spend your day reading what a bunch of lefties think about crisps. You're a loser, mi5 dude, get a real job

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 30, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

All politicians

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Is the Daily Mail suggesting that the Prime Minister likes to sneak into childrens' bedrooms at night?

Of course not. They wouldn't write that even if it were true.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 30, 2019

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
There are PMQs today but expect every Tory to have had their Crosby chip updated to parrot whatever slogan they've been given as if they've come up with it themselves

Is there any specific fund/CLP you can donate to for a decapitation effort in Uxbridge or is that a bung to Momentum?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Nice piece of fish posted:

"Boris wins election date" really? Interesting spin that. Obviously a new election is hard fought and won by *checks notes* the sitting unelected prime minister presiding over a PR disaster.

That seems to be the line a few of the papers are going with, Corbyn caving, etc.

Braggart posted:

Is the Daily Mail suggesting that the Prime Minister likes to sneak into childrens' bedrooms at night?

He’s a Tory so :shrug:

Doccykins posted:

There are PMQs today but expect every Tory to have had their Crosby chip updated to parrot whatever slogan they've been given as if they've come up with it themselves

Yeah, they’ll come out swinging and hooting and hollering for every tepid slam boris tries to land and get incredibly excited for every intervention calling Jeremy a Marxist then they’ll all promptly disappear the moment Politics Live cuts away

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

That seems to be the line a few of the papers are going with, Corbyn caving, etc.

Coward Corbyn caves after his cowardly display of not caving.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

An old uni friend is currently challenging my assertion on twitter that young people are less likely to vote Tory and seems genuinely surprised that it's actually backed by data.

Additionally anyone in the greater London area who wants to come help in Watford (key marginal, 16% swing to Labour last time ~2000 votes in it and our incumbent is stepping down) PM me and I can give dates for canvassing when I know them. You can also be from outside the greater London area I guess ...

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Doccykins posted:

decapitation effort in Uxbridge

Does anyone know when the final candidates have to be confirmed? Just in case they try to shift Boris somewhere safe at the last minute.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What this?

I don't really know what you mean because we won't know who got closest until the election? I assume you mean something else?
I swear there was one for the number of nay votes for an amendment in parliament yesterday, but it's not that one so maybe I imagined it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 30, 2019

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

xtothez posted:

Does anyone know when the final candidates have to be confirmed? Just in case they try to shift Boris somewhere safe at the last minute.

19 working days before the poll so November 16th

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/gerudoku/status/1189002037733801984?s=20

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Braggart posted:

Of course not. They wouldn't write that even if it were true.

He was just looking for some tech lessons

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DesperateDan posted:

go status: Here we, loving

Awkward to shoplift and not much resale value

I guess I am gonna have to make waffles today.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SpaceCommie posted:

An old uni friend is currently challenging my assertion on twitter that young people are less likely to vote Tory and seems genuinely surprised that it's actually backed by data.

Additionally anyone in the greater London area who wants to come help in Watford (key marginal, 16% swing to Labour last time ~2000 votes in it and our incumbent is stepping down) PM me and I can give dates for canvassing when I know them. You can also be from outside the greater London area I guess ...

Don't forget https://events.labour.org.uk/ will tell you what campaigning is happening where - I might get involved with Watford but will probably, just for convenience, be sticking to Bad London and the Essex borders which have quite a lot of marginals, and also Two Cities because Chuka.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

SpaceCommie posted:

I had to show someone at work who is middlingly pro leave and Tory (we had to pay a mortgage at 15% interest and all the other bootstraps bullshit) the yougov poll about the elderly hoping Brexit would make their children destitute. Wouldn’t believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SpaceCommie posted:

It can be surprising if most of the young people you know are poo poo, or most of the non-poo poo ones don't vote.

Borrovan posted:

You're a loser, mi5 dude, get a real job
:actually: their real title isn't MI5 it's PIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP7vFG4XfmU