Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

loving megalol if Theresa "literal immigrant concentration camps" May thinks you're being a ghoul

People do tend to forget that the leader of the Tories is usually the most charismatic person they have. That's not a compliment to the leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Apparently based on the EuroMEP election results according to this comment:

https://twitter.com/grabcocque/status/1189521979222773761?s=20

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Coohoolin posted:

Here's a thing, I reckon some of you might enjoy checking out my mates' new shop of queer punk merchandise. If you do, fancy giving them a like and a share on facebook. Eyeing up the abolish the monarchy shirt myself.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ChaosCreationsSCO

https://www.facebook.com/chaoscreationssco/

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Vlex posted:

I don't know where to post this but just wanted to say that I've been offered a lectureship (i.e. a semblance of permanence in the rocky, lovely world of academia) doing what I love and I'm totally stunned. Lectureships have always been something that happen to other people.

hooray

Congrats!

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Scikar posted:

They did. I wouldn't blame anyone for not remembering but May pulled in 2.4 million more voters than Cameron managed in 2015. The political bubble has conveniently forgotten this in order to avoid giving Corbyn any credit, thus it is retconned to May being so terrible that people didn't want to vote for her. Yet she got almost as high a vote share as Blair did in 1997, and you'll be hard pressed to find political commentators claiming that Blair in 1997 putting people off. This is why any analysis that blindly claims Johnson will automatically do better than May is flawed. Who exactly were these voters who didn't vote for May when her numbers went up, and why would they vote for Johnson in greater numbers than those leaving the Conservative party because they can't stand him?

Cf Pissflaps' OP in his parallel thread, where he hints at this interpretation in his Labour writeup - that being the closest he is able to get to neutrality.

It is amusing how Flaps has carefully skirted the rules in a laughably transparent way. He's the Boris Johnson of UKMT. Perhaps Corbyn will destroy him too ;)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm a bit torn to be honest, on the one hand, to me he just sounds like a raving lunatic. On the other hand, so does trump, and people seem to like him.

Like he just comes across as a fat oafish bully but there's a lot of them in the UK and I don't know whether it will put people off?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Vlex posted:

I don't know where to post this but just wanted to say that I've been offered a lectureship (i.e. a semblance of permanence in the rocky, lovely world of academia) doing what I love and I'm totally stunned. Lectureships have always been something that happen to other people.

hooray

Congrats!

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I have thrown a few bucks to the Labour Party, Scottish Labour and Momentum

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tory MPs still the idiot bullies they were at Eton shocker.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oof, Labour MP asked about a Welsh Tory who personally intervened in a rape trial to try and get the rapist off the hook, which led to the trial being abandoned and brought to retrial where it successfully convicted the rapist, and the Tories responded to this by nominating him to the Welsh Assembly, she asked if Johnson would tolerate this

and he just said "I couldn't possibly comment." and sat down

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Vlex posted:

hooray

Welcome to the REF 2021 motherfucker

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

and Huw Merriman said that Corbyn "failed" by wearing his green tie

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Dick Braine pulls out.

https://twitter.com/claire_phipps/status/1189526389453668352?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

I'm a bit torn to be honest, on the one hand, to me he just sounds like a raving lunatic. On the other hand, so does trump, and people seem to like him.

Like he just comes across as a fat oafish bully but there's a lot of them in the UK and I don't know whether it will put people off?

Trump was very racist and came across as a lunatic but also told workers they were being hosed over while Clinton didn't even bother to campaign in their states

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bahahahaha just in time for votemas

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Aidan_702 posted:

Welcome to the REF 2021 motherfucker

I know plenty about the REF and the TEF, to my chagrin

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Just had possibly the most 'lib dem' Lib Dem flyer ever received claiming:

-Lib dems are winning here! (they placed 3rd in 2017, 10k votes behind our lab bloke, who was 20k votes behind the winning tory).
-They stormed home with 40% of the vote "the last time a local election was held" (meaning the most recent local council elections in this ward).
-Their candidate will stop the Tories (he would know as he was one until about 6 weeks ago) and is a proven election winner (as a Tory).
- The eagle eye'd or even regular eye'd would also spot that he is actually standing as the candidate for a neighbouring constituency.

The balls of it is just incredible.

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 30, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

Trump was very racist and came across as a lunatic but also told workers they were being hosed over while Clinton didn't even bother to campaign in their states

she literally had "America is Already Great" as a slogan lmao

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
well that's the Crosby chip booting up

"back brexit, back britain, back boris"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pochoclo posted:

loving megalol if Theresa "literal immigrant concentration camps" May thinks you're being a ghoul
Being a ghoul is not the issue - appearing to be one is.

Doccykins posted:

almost certainly, it's the same green as the Grenfell remembrance campaign
Sorry, I meant that particular shade of green. A darker, classier, more subdued green might not have gotten the same reaction. You seem to be right though, the tie matches the color of the Grenfell heart pretty well.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Rustybear posted:

While you're not wrong, it's not as simple as that. For example despite getting 2.4 million less votes Cameron had a working majority in 2015 while May lost seats.

Total votes is less than meaningless in the UK.

I'm not saying that somehow May was a secret winner or deserved to keep her majority or anything. But anyone who wants to explain the 2017 result by saying people didn't want to vote for May needs to explain how her vote share went up in that case before their analysis is worth anything.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jose posted:

I saw a really good series of tweets about how the LRB is incredibly institutionally racist but can't remember who they were from

https://twitter.com/ejhchess/status/1189515860685316096?s=19

This is a very good thread and I recommend reading all of it. It's 7 tweets, so it's quite succinct.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jo Swindon pushing on the Farronist line of BWEKKKSIT and nothing else. God I want that seat lost.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Sure, but he also has a contigent of people who actually just love his racism and insane rambling. And I wonder how different they are from our rapidly going senile ancient racist rear end in a top hat contingent at home. The "make me and my children destitute for no reason" demographic.

Though, I guess, perhaps those sorts always vote tory anyway.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
i know its the lib dems but boris calling them all hypocrites in the chamber is almost certainly unparliamentary language

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Sure, but he also has a contigent of people who actually just love his racism and insane rambling. And I wonder how different they are from our rapidly going senile ancient racist rear end in a top hat contingent at home. The "make me and my children destitute for no reason" demographic.

He also relied on Clinton suppressing turnout because she was the most unpopular candidate ever fielded.

She still won the popular vote by 3 million and lost because the electoral college is gerrymandering to infinity and beyond.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Doccykins posted:

i know its the lib dems but boris calling them all hypocrites in the chamber is almost certainly unparliamentary language

:decorum:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doccykins posted:

I'm really looking forward to every time Swindon goes on TV she's asked about why she demanded an in-out referendum in parliament back in 2008.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

He also relied on Clinton suppressing turnout because she was the most unpopular candidate ever fielded.

She still won the popular vote by 3 million and lost because the electoral college is gerrymandering to infinity and beyond.

Voter suppression on black people in Madison WI was so severe it could well have accounted for the margin he won the state by

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did Corbyn choose this particularly.. vibrant.. green tie to goad the tories into doing exactly this?

Sneaky Corbyn tricks Tory MPs into looking like heartless monsters

By Daily Mail Reporter

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Doccykins posted:

well that's the Crosby chip booting up

"back brexit, back britain, back boris"

Yes, moving all of these things back would be generally a good thing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

quote:

Johnson was weak on the actual details of how the NHS works. But his attack lines against Corbyn - accusing him of sweeping anti-Americanism, and wholesale hostility to the involvement of private firms in the NHS (even though many NHS services are privately provided anyway - were much more powerful than anything Theresa May threw at Corbyn, and delivered with relish.

Thanks, Guardian

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The graun: not even trying, at this point, to pretend they would prefer Corbyn to Johnson.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tesseraction posted:

It's not really gerrymandering when the borders don't change.

Braggart posted:

Sneaky Corbyn tricks Tory MPs into looking like heartless monsters

By Daily Mail Reporter
Corbyn uses his mystical Rasputin-like powers once again.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Coohoolin posted:

Here's a thing, I reckon some of you might enjoy checking out my mates' new shop of queer punk merchandise. If you do, fancy giving them a like and a share on facebook. Eyeing up the abolish the monarchy shirt myself.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ChaosCreationsSCO

https://www.facebook.com/chaoscreationssco/

Some great stuff here, and if I hadn't just finished my metal band patch jacket I'd have put some lovely anti-fascist slogans on there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

... and then those workers went third party or failed to show up (either due to disinterest or comically aggressive voter suppression). I ran the numbers on this, and Trump picked up about as many low-income voters as Romney the card-carrying, child-torturing vulture capitalist (in fact, if you factor in population growth, he lost poor voters in real terms). The problem was that Clinton bled poor votes to Jill Stein and gerrymandering, and while rich and middle-class voters managed to make up some of the difference, they didn't make up enough of it.

Clinton ran a weak campaign, yes, and the Democrats were blindsided by the arsenal of dirty tricks Republicans obtained from their control of so many other branches of federal and state government, but the idea that Trump's pro-worker message has any real positive impact is revisionist history. Poor voters didn't buy it, and all he seems to have done is scare a few richer voters off to support Clinton.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Vlex posted:

hooray

I quiver with jealousy

Although tbh I'm already so alienated and jaded with academia that I'm not sure I could summon up the willpower to do the job properly anymore.

Seriously though, massive congratulations. Lectureships are a genuinely secure job. It takes an awful lot off my partner's mind to know that she's never going to be out of a job again (catastrophes of the near-future notwithstanding lol)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Don't pretend the democrats were surprised by the dirty tricks lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think i feel optimistic... did the voter id thing go through? Also is brexit party standing candidates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not really gerrymandering when the borders don't change.

If you gerrymandered them from their incarnation you don't need to change them while they're still working.