Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

it's always worth remembering that a bunch of the best metal ever was made by teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart posted:

it's always worth remembering that a bunch of the best metal ever was made by teenagers.

igor cavalera was 14 when this was recorded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JkLO4CM0EI

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Muppets On PCP posted:

igor cavalera was 14 when this was recorded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JkLO4CM0EI

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lol holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Stefan_BC/status/1188883653767491585?s=19

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Nazzadan posted:

Ah lame I didn't check SA between my post and right now, hope you also had a good time at the show it ruled. I had a Necrot shirt on under a dark vest hangin out with another goon wearing a Motorheadp shirt and light vest

Yeah it ruled! I was the dweeb wearing a respirator with pink filters. My roommate decided to come out too so it was good times all round.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm not sure the next time I'll be in the bay area for a show but I'll hit you up before hand for a beer

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I took quite a few photos. It was a good time.

And finally, I'm not sure if I want to wash my vest or not.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Duck_King posted:

And finally, I'm not sure if I want to wash my vest or not.

Absolutely motherfucking not.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Don't you dare wash off that victory wine

Parachute
May 18, 2003
hey its leon del muerte

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I wanna know this guy's story...

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Parachute posted:

hey its leon del muerte

Yeah, I said "Hey! Lemme take a picture for Ami!" (The front for Cliterati, we saw them about a month ago).

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I wanna know this guy's story...

The band wasn't performing at this point because of technical issues, so Ross was just entertaining the crowd, cracking jokes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I wonder if he asked the cops to round that number up a bit, you know how much.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

idk what it is about Gatecreeper but I just can't fully get into anything they do. Finally listening to the new album, and it's just like.. still the least interesting band with that HM-2 sound

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I sorta feel like that, creeping death and mammoth grinder are more my jam for whatever reason

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Is it the cheeky Sabbath worship?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Varg posted:

the least interesting band with that HM-2 sound

that's some stiff competition

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gatecreeper perfected that sound for me. Their riffs and tone are exactly what I want from it.

e: of the modern inspired by swedes bands I mean

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only HM-2 poo poo I don't thoroughly enjoy is most Rogga Johansson projects. I have almost no standards if you have that tone and a good groove.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Henchman of Santa posted:

The only HM-2 poo poo I don't thoroughly enjoy is most Rogga Johansson projects. I have almost no standards if you have that tone and a good groove.

I feel like Rogga has a hard time actually editing himself and just throws out whatever poo poo he comes up with regardless of its quality.

Putrevore is definitely one of his better projects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSm0EdIaZo

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Just gave Pagan’s Mind - Enigmatic Calling a spin for the first time in years. God drat it’s so good.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

This is pretty weird.

15 years ago or so I used to listen to a Finnish metal group called Nightwish. They had some weird lead female vocalist that was actually singing in classical style, while the rest of the band played metal - with added orchestral music thrown in for good measure. Pretty close to when I started listening to them, the singer went away (there was like a scandal or sth) and I think they disbanded. I pretty much lost them in the following months.

Completely by chance, I saw one of their live performances last week on youtube (it was actually a video of a random dude reacting to said performance). Apparently, the group has a new line-up now (singer, drummer and a multi-instrumentalist) and...it actually sounded good!

This was the performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEzZRMthhXU

Was a bit intrigued (especially by the singer, she was not singing in operatic style), so I also watched this one afterwards (from the same show).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwg16K5AsSo

And that was completely different from what I used to associate the band with in the past. Especially the singing.
So I'm in the weird position now of re-discovering a band I used to hear when I was slightly past the pimply teenager phase..and still liking it. Is something wrong with me (nostalgia, lameness) or are they actually good/relevant now? The more I hear that singer the more I like it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dante80 posted:

So I'm in the weird position now of re-discovering a band I used to hear when I was slightly past the pimply teenager phase..and still liking it. Is something wrong with me (nostalgia, lameness) or are they actually good/relevant now? The more I hear that singer the more I like it.
They never stopped being relevant and sure as hell never disbanded.

The current singer, Floor Jansen, is actually their third. They released two albums in between with a Swedish lady named Anette Olzon as the vocalist, and while she had a very sweet and lovely voice that worked great on the studio albums (Dark Passion Play is possibly my favourite from them), her stage presence left a lot to be desired.

Floor Jansen, on the other hand, just *oozes* charisma, and is an absolutely fantastic and versatile singer. Their latest studio album (first one with her on the vocals) wasn't that great, but they've released a whole mess of live recordings with her that are all solid gold. She's pretty much the best thing that ever happened to this band, and I say this as someone who's been a fan since the beginning. They'll be releasing another live DVD in December, from their Decades tour where they focused on playing a lot of their older material that hasn't been on the set lists in years and years. There's also a new studio album coming out some time next year.

So yeah, welcome back and enjoy your stay.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 30, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tarja Turunen, the original vocalist, went on to do a solo career post-Nightwish. I think her work's more on the rock end of the spectrum, but I haven't kept tavs on her.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I listened to Nightwish a ton in college, and only stopped with the weirdness that was the Imaginereum or whatever. I *loved* dark passion play, but in once, dark chest of wonders is one of my favorite nw songs.

Agreed on them never disbanding or losing relevance. The scandal you refer to was (more or less) the rest of the band thought Tarja was being a diva, publicly released a letter saying "you're fired for being a diva", and she left in a bit of a huff, and started doing solo stuff.

I'm not going to comment on which side was right, though, because who the gently caress knows what backroom drama bands can have.

Dangit now I have to listen to once at work today.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I'm seeing Cattle Decapitation tonight and Party Cannon are supporting. I only know them from the colourful logo, are they actually worth heading along early for?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Tarja also has (or had? I don't know, I just remember various metal forums being full of crazy fanboys) the most insane fans, so maybe you didn't hear as much about Nightwish once she was gone.

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

I'm seeing Cattle Decapitation tonight and Party Cannon are supporting. I only know them from the colourful logo, are they actually worth heading along early for?

do you like dumb slam death metal? If yes, then yes.

please note that dumb isn't meant as an indicator of quality, it is merely a genre descriptor.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

It's garden variety slam with a decent live show. If that's your jam then yeah go for it if it's not too much of a hassle

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MrBling posted:

Tarja also has (or had? I don't know, I just remember various metal forums being full of crazy fanboys) the most insane fans, so maybe you didn't hear as much about Nightwish once she was gone.

It was probably dumb kids being horny, but that's prohibited now.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've never heard anyone say they like Annette's era of nightwish, huh.

Saw sabaton last night and it was one of those rare shows where the new material is the most fun. Also got dang TANK

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Anette's era was okay but Once was a really good album and Tuomas really let himself go all Hans Zimmer on the orchestration from DPP onwards.

Edit: Lmao of course Once is the one Nightwish album not on Spotify. :argh:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 30, 2019

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Also somewhere along the way there was a nightwish movie?? I know I watched it with some friends but ALL I can remember is the colour grey, a small boy and a creepy old man, and I think the old man turns into a lovely dragon at the end or something? It was bad

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

PARTIED

IN

HALF

:black101:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Floor is amazing. Check out the live AAL Star One convert to see her and her sister Irene do backing vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDsp-VE6_oY

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Nordick posted:

They never stopped being relevant and sure as hell never disbanded.

The current singer, Floor Jansen, is actually their third. They released two albums in between with a Swedish lady named Anette Olzon as the vocalist, and while she had a very sweet and lovely voice that worked great on the studio albums (Dark Passion Play is possibly my favourite from them), her stage presence left a lot to be desired.

Floor Jansen, on the other hand, just *oozes* charisma, and is an absolutely fantastic and versatile singer. Their latest studio album (first one with her on the vocals) wasn't that great, but they've released a whole mess of live recordings with her that are all solid gold. She's pretty much the best thing that ever happened to this band, and I say this as someone who's been a fan since the beginning. They'll be releasing another live DVD in December, from their Decades tour where they focused on playing a lot of their older material that hasn't been on the set lists in years and years. There's also a new studio album coming out some time next year.

So yeah, welcome back and enjoy your stay.

Glad to be back. I spent the better part of the day downloading and listening to their last three albums. Oh, and also watching live performances on youtube lol.

Some first observations.

1. Yeah, I missed that band. And I missed a lot too.

2. Out of the three albums, DPP was by far the best one. The last one was the weakest imo, but to tell you the truth I liked all three, for different reasons. 3 Best songs out of the three for me (although I liked far more):

DPP - The Poet and the Pendulum, 7 Days to the Wolves and Master Passion Greed <--(remind me never to piss off Tuomas, ever).
Imaginaerum - Song of Myself, Storytime and Ghost River.
EFMB - The Greatest Show on Earth, Yours Is an Empty Hope and Weak Fantasy.

3. Annete was/is actually a very good singer - I hadn't even listened to her till now. Both albums I took for a spin had great vocals from her. To give a metaphor, if Tarja is a Muse/Siren and Floor is a Valkyrie/Amazon, Annete is a Fairy/Pixie. Really loved her in Storytime, Sahara and Slow, Love, Slow, among other things. Also, she was apparently also fired from the band. While being pregnant. Dick move imo.

4. Floor is pretty much my favorite female singer after today lol (yeah, first impressions and all ~ I know). Watched about 10 videos or so from Wacken 2013 and Wembley 2015. Holy loving poo poo, she commands the crowds beautifully, and has a ridiculous vocal production. The four performances that destroyed me from her the most was the Poet and the Pendulum (as posted above ~ this video started my searching in the first place), Song of Myself (she was downright nasty sounding in the second part of that song), 7 days to the Wolves (I actually couldn't believe how good Marco and her sounded together) and Ghost Love Score (WTF was that ending??!!!!!).

Out of all the things l watched today, I think the Wembley live versions of Poet and the Pendulum and 7 days to the wolves with Floor was the highlight.

Will see more tomorrow, I read somewhere that the show in Tampere 2015 was also pretty epic.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 30, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The War Queer posted:

PARTIED

IN

HALF

:black101:

Yeah Party Cannon is one of the better slam bands.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dante80 posted:

2. Out of the three albums, DPP was by far the best one. The last one was the weakest imo, but to tell you the truth I liked all three, for different reasons.

3. Also, she was apparently also fired from the band. While being pregnant. Dick move imo.

4. Ghost Love Score (WTF was that ending??!!!!!).

Will see more tomorrow, I read somewhere that the show in Tampere 2015 was also pretty epic.

2. It's not even that Endless Forms is bad songwriting-wise, what really sabotages it is the production; somehow it just sounds very listless and weak to me. Live recordings of those songs have more fire and heft and work a lot better.

3. If you just take that as face value, sure. From what I've read, she had also started acting very unprofessionally over some stand-in vocalists during a tour when she couldn't perform. So I guess the band wanted to cut their losses and nip the problem in the bud? Idk, I agree with what Silvergoose said above; I'm not really gonna pick sides because who the gently caress knows with drama like this.

4. Ghost Love Floor! :v: Yeah, that big crescendo is goddamn amazing and kinda became her trademark during the early parts of her Nightwish career.

And yeah, the Tampere recording is fantastic, probably my favourite so far. They have some serious sound engineering chops behind them, that gig sounds so goddamn good. (See 2: The Greatest Show on Earth on this recording is a loving ride.)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Going to see Skindred this week, finally, haven't seen Benji since he was (in) Dub War.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Dante80 posted:

3. Annete was/is actually a very good singer - I hadn't even listened to her till now. Both albums I took for a spin had great vocals from her.
Anette is a good singer, but she was a significant departure in style from Tarja: Tarja's style was very operatic, while Anette was more of a rock singer. It caused some problems with the band's back catalog, which may have contributed to the Drama. Floor is somewhere in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Nordick posted:

2. It's not even that Endless Forms is bad songwriting-wise, what really sabotages it is the production; somehow it just sounds very listless and weak to me. Live recordings of those songs have more fire and heft and work a lot better.

3. If you just take that as face value, sure. From what I've read, she had also started acting very unprofessionally over some stand-in vocalists during a tour when she couldn't perform. So I guess the band wanted to cut their losses and nip the problem in the bud? Idk, I agree with what Silvergoose said above; I'm not really gonna pick sides because who the gently caress knows with drama like this.

4. Ghost Love Floor! :v: Yeah, that big crescendo is goddamn amazing and kinda became her trademark during the early parts of her Nightwish career.

2. I've only seen Yours is an empty hope live from that album, and I agree, it was incredible live (the Cruise version is more atmospheric, the Wembley version has more raw vocals (especially the growling parts). Will have to watch The Greatest Show on Earth live tomorrow, I really liked it in the album.

3. Not picking either, hell I only learned about the whole thing today anyway. From what I understand, Annete is doing great now, both solo and in her group.

4. It's not that she hit a high note for me. It is how she did it (especially in this version that I saw an hour ago). Many, many female singers of the soprano voice can hit a high 5th note in mix, and most of them can do it live on a good day too. Only a few of them can do it in a 50% (non heady) mix without pulling chest, and those that do it with great resonance, full support and no strain or pushing are even fewer.

This was a loving Sohyang note, if you catch my drift. From a metal singer. O_o

Incoherence posted:

Anette is a good singer, but she was a significant departure in style from Tarja: Tarja's style was very operatic, while Anette was more of a rock singer. It caused some problems with the band's back catalog, which may have contributed to the Drama.

I can get that, especially if she couldn't deliver live some of the past big hits. Having said that, I'm guessing that the band already knew that when they hired her obviously.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 30, 2019