Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell if it was intentional that they named them Xi'an and Xi'an Cuisine when there is a place on Earth called Xi'an and a cuisine called Xi'an Cuisine. It seems kinda bad to name your aliens and alien cuisine after a region and cuisine in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's because they're Asian themed aliens. They even live in the 'east'. It is 1000% intentional and incredibly lazy.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 29, 2019

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bob Wins posted:

So I remember hearing about this game a lot a couple of years ago and then never hearing about it again, is it safe to assume that it flopped?

What is unreleased may never flop.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But like they couldn't even make up a fake name they just named them after an actual place and cuisine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Popete posted:

But like they couldn't even make up a fake name they just named them after an actual place and cuisine.

Yes, but they also made their language the same as the actual place's language.

Imagination!

Also, their other aliens are barbarian Vanduul and merchant, money-lending Banu.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 29, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Now i'm imagining a Chinese made Star Citizen in which there is an alien race called New York that only eats thin crust pizza and deli sandwiches well talking in a bizarre alien language called English.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

trucutru posted:

Craps that take as much time as quantum traveling can't be healthy at all. Please visit your proctologist crap dude, he's likely a fan anyways.

Star Citizen isn't the only thing with blockers.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Sankis posted:

It's because they're Asian themed aliens. They even live in the 'east'. It is 1000% intentional and incredibly lazy.

Original character copyright Chris Roberts - DO NOT STEAL.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Popete posted:

Now i'm imagining a Chinese made Star Citizen in which there is an alien race called New York that only eats thin crust pizza and deli sandwiches well talking in a bizarre alien language called English.

Gunhed was a movie, but the macguffin was Texmexium.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Bob Wins posted:

So I remember hearing about this game a lot a couple of years ago and then never hearing about it again, is it safe to assume that it flopped?

It hasn't flopped because it doesn't exist.

The "game" is about in the same place as it was a few years ago, there's a pre-alpha demo/test bed/whale toy and the company continues to sell ships for said pre-alpha. There have been a few improvements, more players, planets you can land on, etc. But by an large it's still a buggy half baked mess of clashing ideas and quarter realized dreams trapped in development hell, all while the gullible throw money at it to buy the JPG of the ship of their dreams.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Good thing no one's salting the Halloween contest due to meager entries.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Dementropy posted:

Good thing no one's salting the Halloween contest due to meager entries.

Thank goodness for the totally organic way these things pop up, in no way connected to the munificence of the Calder dollar - after all, it'd be downright embarrassing if there were no entries at all.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Thank goodness for the totally organic way these things pop up, in no way connected to the munificence of the Calder dollar - after all, it'd be downright embarrassing if there were no entries at all.

I find it hard to capture the essence of Mae Demming, in a pumpkin.

Otherwise I would have contributed.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

One of you goons with better artistic skills than me needs to carve a Crobear or a Gary Parpman pumpkin and submit it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Jonny Shiloh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsvB4o8bjI8

Four hours of ObsidianAnt playing Store Citizer. I honestly don't have the heart.

I decided to take a random sample and skipped to an hour and 46 minutes in. He was in one of the 200 identical rest stops, picking up a box for a delivery mission, then struggling to remember which pad to ride the elevator back to. Yep that's pretty much Star Citizen. Thrill-a-minute.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Viscous Soda posted:

It hasn't flopped because it doesn't exist.

The "game" is about in the same place as it was a few years ago, there's a pre-alpha demo/test bed/whale toy and the company continues to sell ships for said pre-alpha. There have been a few improvements, more players, planets you can land on, etc. But by an large it's still a buggy half baked mess of clashing ideas and quarter realized dreams trapped in development hell, all while the gullible throw money at it to buy the JPG of the ship of their dreams.

Tell him about the Legatus package.

Edit: ^^^ to be fair, they’ve distilled the core elevator gameplay from ‘Mass Effect’.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
/r/StarCitizen: How long has your ship been in concept?

:lol::lol: :shepspends: :trustme:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sankis posted:

Not-so-honorable bird aliens attacked space pearl harbor first and used space kamikaze tactics because the lore is so deep and whoooooaaaa! holy poo poo! the lore! sooooo goooood. And their space katanas are the sharpest poo poo ever kakoi!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

That entire fluff piece about the bartender is fuckin insane lol. Aside from being absolute nonsense, it doesn't even make sense from an in-lore perspective. Why is the Star Citizen equivalent of sky mall interviewing a random nobody bartender at what is - let's be honest - an outdoor food stall?

i think they made that fluff piece about the bartender basically as an excuse to now show off the star studded mocapped bartender animations in the next video they put out, its just marketing on top of marketing for more marketing

ah she must use the same tailor as crobberts!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob Wins posted:

What is CR may eternal lie, and with strange eons even Ortwin may die.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Blue On Blue posted:

i think they made that fluff piece about the bartender basically as an excuse to now show off the star studded mocapped bartender animations in the next video they put out, its just marketing on top of marketing for more marketing

This amazing bar tender is going to be so impressive...

Why can I not see him in game?

Even if I can find it in the game why is he levitating 6m above the ground with his head stuck in the roof?

Even if he is there and working, why can I not do anything with him? I mean drinking water or beer isn't even I. The game.

Why would you draw attention to any of this ...

It's like sale pitch for a car yard that has no cars only a few bits of random rusty metal and a single bald spare trye ....

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

DigitalPenny posted:

This amazing bar tender is going to be so impressive...

Why can I not see him in game?

Even if I can find it in the game why is he levitating 6m above the ground with his head stuck in the roof?

Even if he is there and working, why can I not do anything with him? I mean drinking water or beer isn't even I. The game.

Why would you draw attention to any of this ...

It's like sale pitch for a car yard that has no cars only a few bits of random rusty metal and a single bald spare trye ....

It’s really amazing how empty the game is. Even the pointless fidelity minutiae they show off barely has any depth to it. Chris’ dumb obsession with seedy bars and the ungodly amount of time and money his team of 22 year old devs have spent trying to recreate an experience that is an after thought in most games is hilarious.

Like you can go up to a bartender and have a 50% chance of getting 1 of 3 canned responses spoken to you. Then you can order beer or whiskey, neither of which have any effect on your character or gameplay. Then you can grab your drink and have a 50% chance of it falling out of your hand and clipping through the floor as your frame rate tanks, or if you’re lucky you can fidelitously swirl it around, but the plane of the liquid is never parallel to the floor.

That’s it, that’s what years of work and millions of dollars have resulted in; something orders of magnitude worse than the radiant AI in Oblivion. which came out almost 14 years ago.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I love Star Citizen.

Buy an Idris.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

It’s really amazing how empty the game is. Even the pointless fidelity minutiae they show off barely has any depth to it. Chris’ dumb obsession with seedy bars and the ungodly amount of time and money his team of 22 year old devs have spent trying to recreate an experience that is an after thought in most games is hilarious.

Like you can go up to a bartender and have a 50% chance of getting 1 of 3 canned responses spoken to you. Then you can order beer or whiskey, neither of which have any effect on your character or gameplay. Then you can grab your drink and have a 50% chance of it falling out of your hand and clipping through the floor as your frame rate tanks, or if you’re lucky you can fidelitously swirl it around, but the plane of the liquid is never parallel to the floor.

That’s it, that’s what years of work and millions of dollars have resulted in; something orders of magnitude worse than the radiant AI in Oblivion. which came out almost 14 years ago.

Remember when NPCs were going to be undistinguishable from players? Ah, good times.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

no_recall posted:

I love Star Citizen.

Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Agony Aunt posted:

Remember when NPCs were going to be undistinguishable from players? Ah, good times.

I'm pretty sure they meant their players so it kind of checks out

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

I managed to catch the final part of his stream and it ended spectacularly. He took the elevator down in his ship and clipped through the ground, dying https://clips.twitch.tv/SillySmilingRhinocerosWOOP

Then he encountered some spooky immobile npcs before logging off https://clips.twitch.tv/FurtivePuzzledAsteriskBCWarrior

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bob Wins posted:

It's still in development hell and they are still selling ship JPEGs to whales to fund said development hell while Chris buys a mansion and goes on vacations.
Well, and you can more or less ride a train now or walk around in caves if you can find them.
And maybe see an NPC stuck in a time loop as the server slowly chokes and dies
https://i.imgur.com/gqrmDAk.gifv

Popete posted:

I suspect the Chinese are better at ripping things off than Chris is.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Star Citizen would make quite an excellent space horror game tbqh.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

So do you want to do some BMI (Bingo Meshing of Ideas) on this? Sounds like you in your heart you have some ownership of bingo.

:justpost:

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Lol they really expect us to think that someone hasn't posted for ten years and SUDDENLY they post an intricately-carved pumpkin in honor of Star Citizen. Twitter really is worthless and it exists solely as a bot-filled echo chamber for marketing.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Bofast posted:

And maybe see an NPC stuck in a time loop as the server slowly chokes and dies
https://i.imgur.com/gqrmDAk.gifv

Actually it's a new feature in Star Citizen invented by Chris Roberts because it has never been done before.
Space Stop Motion

Reminds me of this old vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzU3NjDikY

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Filthy console fidelity :smuggo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hyFSivSmw

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dynastocles posted:

Lol they really expect us to think that someone hasn't posted for ten years and SUDDENLY they post an intricately-carved pumpkin in honor of Star Citizen. Twitter really is worthless and it exists solely as a bot-filled echo chamber for marketing.

You won't laugh this much when in 10 years pre alpha 8.0 is releasing with procedural armband mesh layering and the new ready-to-flyable sickle arm devourer.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dynastocles posted:

Twitter really is worthless and it exists solely as a bot-filled echo chamber for marketing.

How dare you. It's the main policy tool for the United States of America.

Has it really been two years since the Pioneer?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

A Jpeg being in concept for 5+ years is definitely not a huge red flag for a scam completely covered in red flags

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

A Jpeg being in concept for 5+ years is definitely not a huge red flag for a scam completely covered in red flags

It's not a scam when a lot of people working on it. Good lord, get with the program fudster.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Do you even know about the pipelines you doofus?
Some are longer and some are shorter, this is game development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Hav posted:

Details, details.

February 5th 2013
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

Worth a read for the comparison to the progress they've achieved in six years.

I'm surprised they haven't taken this down like the other design pages. Like, 99% of this stuff is still inside CR's head only.