Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

quote:

SWEET SWEET CONTENT

Love this.

My DSLR viewfinder lost the metering display and stuff, need to get it sent out to be fixed in a couple weeks.

DaNerd fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Thanks dude

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

In the past week I've uncovered two rolls of undeveloped film. I'm sure they're fine. Only...10-20 years old I guess.

I've got some holga film I still need to develop, but they're probably all underexposed anyways since I bought a dumb iso.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This band of light appeared for about a minute and then off it went like that. I'd say the biggest learning lesson on this trip up in Alberta is being extremely observant for interesting light and how quickly it'll gently caress off.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
Shot this last week while on a work trip to Hawaii.. I can’t ever seem to figure out the exposure balance between foreground/background when the sun is in the shot. Thoughts besides just using a graduated filter or something else equally gimmicky?

Also.. just booked a trip to Yosemite a couple weeks from now — suggestions for good photo spots besides the basic tourist locations?

P.S: first post in years... I think I blacked out. Where the hell have I been?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Embrace it. It’s a high-contrast situation. Bumping up shadow recovery a bit would likely be ok but any further and the image could look weirdly flat. I think it looks great as it is.

No recommendations for Yosemite. Haven’t been there. What I usually do as prep work is to figure out the trail paths or potential spots and go in Google Earth to see how they would be lit during specific times of day using the Sun feature.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Seconding that that pic looked great. Was that a breaching whale?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Breakwaters are cool and that's a cool loving shot.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

DreadNite posted:

Shot this last week while on a work trip to Hawaii.. I can’t ever seem to figure out the exposure balance between foreground/background when the sun is in the shot. Thoughts besides just using a graduated filter or something else equally gimmicky?

Also.. just booked a trip to Yosemite a couple weeks from now — suggestions for good photo spots besides the basic tourist locations?

P.S: first post in years... I think I blacked out. Where the hell have I been?

I think that owns as is.

Here's a stage from last night's match. Moon's out, goons out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NMFbVCVyT4

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Seconding that that pic looked great. Was that a breaching whale?

It was breakwaters like Godholio said. Against the cliffs at a place called China Walls in Waikiki. It’s a pretty popular cliff jumping place with the locals and this set of rocks gets some gnarly sized wave breaks every few minutes.

Embrace it huh. Yeah I guess that’ll have to do 🤔

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

holocaust bloopers posted:

go in Google Earth to see how they would be lit during specific times of day using the Sun feature.

also.. a Sun feature? I've never heard of that before -- gonna have to give that a try.

Seems.. Lit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Dang. That's gorgeous.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Seconded. That’s a beautiful shot. I really like the green/yellow toning (did you bring that out in post?)

Here’s a shot I did a while back aiming for the same colors but met it with mixed results. Any other good color tones you guys have used before?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I did yea. Used two linear gradient filters to separate out the lake surface and the mountain/trees to work as two essentially separate but equal images. Boosted contrast using a curve, some selective coloring work, and raised the exposure since the sky wasn't very interesting and not worth keeping any highlight detail.

For your image, it looks like there's quite a bit of purple tint, so check your white balance and maybe adjust to add some green tint into it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced hard shell jacket? My 10 year old cheapo North Face HyVent shell is disintegrating into flakes of whatever the membrane material is made of. I’ve decided to stop being fat in the winter and do winter bike commuting/rides (i.e. 5-20 miles) so I’ll need something to replace that.

I was looking at this https://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-research-interstellar-jacket-mens which seems to get great reviews and I can order it for roughly half price (FYI, mil/vets can get a poo poo ton of outdoor pro deals from ExpertVoice).

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

REI brand goretex jackets are in the 150-250 range depending on model and features, and they're almost always included in their various sales.

Edit: also yeah ExpertVoice has a pile of discounts on all sorts of stuff for both active and vets, it's definitely worth checking out.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah I just bought some sweet Salomon goretex winter hiking boots for like 50% off on there.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Flying_Crab posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced hard shell jacket? My 10 year old cheapo North Face HyVent shell is disintegrating into flakes of whatever the membrane material is made of. I’ve decided to stop being fat in the winter and do winter bike commuting/rides (i.e. 5-20 miles) so I’ll need something to replace that.

I was looking at this https://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-research-interstellar-jacket-mens which seems to get great reviews and I can order it for roughly half price (FYI, mil/vets can get a poo poo ton of outdoor pro deals from ExpertVoice).

Most Goretex and rainshells can have their DWR layer wet out and become very unbreathable. There are new hydrophobic fabrics that omit the DWR layer so they never wet out. You should take a look at the Outdry or Gore Shakedry lines. Outdry is much less expensive than the Goretex right now. Yeah it's Columbia but it's from their highest-end line and I find that it actually works.

https://www.backcountry.com/Store/catalog/search.jsp?q=outdry&p=category%3A1.bcs.Men%27s%5C+Clothing&nf=1

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

photo from honeymoon in Vietnam, need to format some more to post here as they were breaking tables

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 2, 2019

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

Most Goretex and rainshells can have their DWR layer wet out and become very unbreathable. There are new hydrophobic fabrics that omit the DWR layer so they never wet out. You should take a look at the Outdry or Gore Shakedry lines. Outdry is much less expensive than the Goretex right now. Yeah it's Columbia but it's from their highest-end line and I find that it actually works.

https://www.backcountry.com/Store/catalog/search.jsp?q=outdry&p=category%3A1.bcs.Men%27s%5C+Clothing&nf=1

How is this?

https://www.rei.com/product/894313/patagonia-torrentshell-jacket-mens

I got it last Christmas but haven't been in the rain for an extended period in it

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

photo from honeymoon in Vietnam, need to format some more to post here as they were breaking tables

Dope boots

elk scat from last year. a literal poo poo post

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Today was the last day of the season for one of the public beer gardens by me, beer was half off and there was a cyclocross race going on so I took some pictures:

This poo poo looks fun and also ball breaking.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 2, 2019

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That's rad as hell. I've always wanted to try cyclocross, but even regular ol' road cycling is :homebrew: and I haven't done that in years.

Then again, I have been saying for a while now that I need to get back in shape...

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

My mountain biking team puts on a cyclocross race at the Armed Forces Retirement Home in DC every October. The 2019 one was two weeks ago, but I’ll hook up a couple of free beers for any GIPper who can come by and say hi when I’m working the beer tent next year.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Double post

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 3, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

tr-tr-tr-iple post

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Does anyone else have a winter beater bike?

This thing is :krad: to bum around on, especially when there are chunks of ice and snow to deliberately run over like a child.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would bike in Chicago but I would also die

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

why

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
If it's anything like the burbs, they dont plow, or half rear end what they do

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

that's why you get studded winter tires (you can see the carbide studs in my picture if you zoom in on the tires)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

a considerable number of fatalities from collisions. I don't trust to share the road with people and I also abhor people who bike on the sidewalk.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I know there have been a couple high profile cyclist fatalities in Chicago recently (afaik there was one in Wicker Park a few days ago) but it's actually one of the safest cities for cycling on a per capita basis:

https://www.vox.com/2014/4/18/5621388/pedestrian-and-biker-deaths

Personally I'm jealous of the on street infrastructure CHI has compared to here in MKE, although we've got a really nice off street path network + low speed parkways all over the city up here. At any rate denser cities are far safer for cycling than just about anywhere in most post-war suburbs on account of much narrower streets and vehicle speeds.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 11, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
If you're don't want to spend $texas on studded bike tires, zip ties around the wheel and tire work very good as well.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

that's only going to work if you have disc brakes though, and I wonder how long it actually works before the ties come off. My two Schwalbe studded tires were like $70 total.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I went and rejiggered my semi MP5K because it was cheaper to upgrade that than getting a fullsize MP5.

:toot:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Dam that thing is super badass

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

What boots are those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://palladiumboots.com/collections/mens/products/75349-076-m

I have the same pair and color and they own.