Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dr. Stab posted:

People like doughnuts and coffee. After they made the doughnuts and coffee bad to save money, people didn't want to eat there any more. Then, poor people started getting their breakfast at mcdonald's and rich people at a&w.

No culture war explanation needed. Except the explanation that capital is really bad at accounting for long term viability.

you'll never get a cushy gig with postmedia writing like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't wait until a generation comes to destroy things millenials like

"are yeezers killing avacado toast?"
"are yeezers destroying crippling social isolation?"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

People like doughnuts and coffee. After they made the doughnuts and coffee bad to save money, people didn't want to eat there any more. Then, poor people started getting their breakfast at mcdonald's and rich people at a&w.

No culture war explanation needed. Except the explanation that capital is really bad at accounting for long term viability.

who could possible have foreseen that cutting quality to save money would work in the short run because of consumer inertia but would lead to losses in the long run due to declining market share to higher-quality competition

this has never happened before in the history of capitalism

well anyway speaking as tim hortons cfo i sold my stock at the peak of profitability after cutting costs but before sales started to decline, so idgaf

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Powershift posted:

The full canadian breakfast is $8 at A&W, and served on real plates if you dine in. That's hard to beat these days, and something everybody can benefit from.

Do I look like I'm made of $8? I could get a coffee and like 6 sausage mcmuffins.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Do I look like I'm made of $8? I could get a coffee and like 6 sausage mcmuffins.

Have you been to mcdonalds lately?

A sausage mcmuffin meal is $7

At A&W for $8 you get 2 sausages, 2 strips of bacon, 2 eggs, 2 slices of tomato, 2 slices of toast and hashbrowns.

e: An individual sausage Mcmuffin is $4.39, that's some straight up bullshit compared to an $8 full canadian breakfast.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

who could possible have foreseen that cutting quality to save money would work in the short run because of consumer inertia but would lead to losses in the long run due to declining market share to higher-quality competition

this has never happened before in the history of capitalism

well anyway speaking as tim hortons cfo i sold my stock at the peak of profitability after cutting costs but before sales started to decline, so idgaf

it's probably worth noting that the incredible genius behind that article is an entertainment reporter, so business analysis taking a back seat to some anti-millennial :argh: is not too surprising. or at least it wouldn't be if not for the fact that the author is the living embodiment of every hipster millennial stereotype.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Powershift posted:

At A&W for $8 you get 2 sausages, 2 strips of bacon, 2 eggs, 2 slices of tomato, 2 slices of toast and hashbrowns.

e: An individual sausage Mcmuffin is $4.39, that's some straight up bullshit compared to an $8 full canadian breakfast.

literally any local diner place i know of gives you that sort of breakfast for 5 bucks

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Young people hate Tim Hortons because without fail you go in and every single table is taken up by boomers for several hours

I don't remember a time when I've gone into a Tim Hortons and been able to actually sit down at a table.

Also they got rid of the Beyond Meat burgers which were the only draw for me in the past few months

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

self-identity built mostly through corporate branding, so when 'purestrain canadiana' begins to unravel so do they

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Always surprised by the # of Winnipeg goons. Any of you go to the Route 90 expansion town halls?

its the best city in canada not near a large body of water.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

literally any local diner place i know of gives you that sort of breakfast for 5 bucks

That kind of stuff is like $12 at this point. Even Denny's all-american slam is $13.79.

in researching that price, i found this.

That right there is solid loving advice.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Can't wait to pay for a Tim Horton's Bailout, to an American owned company, to protect our precious and fragile national identity.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Suplex Liberace posted:

its the best city in canada not near a large body of water.

How dare you slander the forks

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Powershift posted:

I was exaggerating a bit, but a sausage mcmuffin is under 2 dollars. I have no idea where you're getting that number.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

Can't wait to pay for a Tim Horton's Bailout, to an American owned company, to protect our precious and fragile national identity.

Tim Hortons is Brazilian

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Powershift posted:

Tim Hortons is Brazilian

Oh ok

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

turkey bundle is a wretched combination of words

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

I was exaggerating a bit, but a sausage mcmuffin is under 2 dollars. I have no idea where you're getting that number.

presumably ubereats, i don't think there's any other way to see mcD's pricing online and i'm pretty sure it's market dependent

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

My bad, i was using the sausage and egg mcmuffin price, because apparently an egg is $2.39

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

infernal machines posted:

presumably ubereats, i don't think there's any other way to see mcD's pricing online and i'm pretty sure it's market dependent

The mcdonald's app has them without a markup. Also, wtf, that egg mcmuffin is a full dollar more expensive that it is here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

The mcdonald's app has them without a markup. Also, wtf, that egg mcmuffin is a full dollar more expensive that it is here.

Minimum wage is $15 here.

A&W ain't playin no games

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Young people hate Tim Hortons because without fail you go in and every single table is taken up by boomers for several hours

I don't remember a time when I've gone into a Tim Hortons and been able to actually sit down at a table.

Also they got rid of the Beyond Meat burgers which were the only draw for me in the past few months

my inlaws have been travelling around canada recently and my fil always insists on going to tim hortons for breakfast

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Powershift posted:

That kind of stuff is like $12 at this point. Even Denny's all-american slam is $13.79.

in researching that price, i found this.

That right there is solid loving advice.

no idea why cereal is an option

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

$5.49 for some cornflakes?

burn it to the loving ground.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah the sausage McMuffin no egg is my to-go choice along with a coffee and a muffin (also a solid combo price, between 1.99 and 2.69 depending on coffee size) and the muffins are usually still warm out of the oven!

I also love the A&W breakfast and eating in on proper plates etc. I don't know of any diners in the area that can beat it! When I lived in West side Vancouver the Nemoto cafe on Broadway was my go to but I would be surprised if it is still around. Cora's are apparently good too but they are always insanely busy and I don't want to wait 45min for a seat for breakfast.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

cora's is bullshit

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

priznat posted:

Yeah the sausage McMuffin no egg is my to-go choice along with a coffee and a muffin (also a solid combo price, between 1.99 and 2.69 depending on coffee size) and the muffins are usually still warm out of the oven!

I also love the A&W breakfast and eating in on proper plates etc. I don't know of any diners in the area that can beat it! When I lived in West side Vancouver the Nemoto cafe on Broadway was my go to but I would be surprised if it is still around. Cora's are apparently good too but they are always insanely busy and I don't want to wait 45min for a seat for breakfast.

gently caress cora's

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I've never been but I assumed it was good due to the lineups

now I want to know why it's bad?!?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

If you go to Cora's and don't eat a CFL football sized crepe filled with a full jar of nutella-like-substitute you ain't livin right

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Yeah, the thing that they're getting to supplant tims is the coffee+baked good for 2 dollars. Who they heck has the time + money to pay 4x for a sit down breakfast.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

Their pancakes have like 1500 calories

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

there's a greasy spoon on imperial where it meets bonsor that's loving aces. old russian grandma vibes, old russian grandma portions.

love a breakfast that has a legit chance of killing me.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

priznat posted:

stand in a lineup for 45 minutes to order overpriced high cal food that you eat as fast as possible because the place is shoulder to shoulder packed and full of kids running around. I'm sure it's just overpriced breakfast on like a wednesday at 11 but never ever go for weekend brunch

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I used to like ricky's big yukon breakfast for supper but they've gone so far down hill in every way i'll never go back.

Also, remember smittys? the sears of breakfast restaurants?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

priznat posted:

they're overpriced and their gimmick is loading up your plate with fruit. the actual food sucks rear end even by the standards of diner breakfasts, but they cost more than twice as much

the lineups exist because people are loving idiots

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Holy poo poo, smitty's still exists

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Powershift posted:

Holy poo poo, smitty's still exists

They recently moved here and displaced an a&w. Olds love it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

They recently moved here and displaced an a&w. Olds love it.

Boomers love it. the real olds go to A&W for the $8 full canadian breakfast.

Dietarily, I'm a 90 year old man.

e: I guess also automotively, medically, and in terms of expected life span, gently caress.

Powershift has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Oct 30, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I could never get why to go to coras with a wait when there is a white spot right next door here. Although lately white spot prices have been going a little nuts. It all started going downhill when they changed from regular hash browns to "smashed potatoes" which suck horribly.

also just walking past an IHOP will give you diabetes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Powershift posted:

Boomers love it. the real olds go to A&W for the $8 full canadian breakfast.

Dietarily, I'm a 90 year old man.

Yes but where do they go for lunch?

As an aside, my nonagenarian grandmother gets a mozza burger and onion rings for lunch, but she is the exception.

priznat posted:

I could never get why to go to coras with a wait when there is a white spot right next door here. Although lately white spot prices have been going a little nuts. It all started going downhill when they changed from regular hash browns to "smashed potatoes" which suck horribly.

also just walking past an IHOP will give you diabetes

Unfortunately, white spot is not a national chain.