Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Off by default, so your friend probably still has hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t understand the difference between two step and two factor :confused:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

It didn’t give one to you when you first turned it on? I could be confusing it with the recovery key for macOS encryption but every other 2FA gives you some recovery keys from my experience.

But anyway, Settings > Name > Password/Security > Recovery Key.
I have 2FA on and there’s no Recovery Key option in that menu, just my trusted phone number.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I have 2FA on and there’s no Recovery Key option in that menu, just my trusted phone number.

Weird, so the option isn’t even there but disabled like in the picture above?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Weird, so the option isn’t even there but disabled like in the picture above?

This page says it’s only if you don’t have an iOS 9 or MacOS El Capitan or later device: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204152

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I was gonna say I swear I never got a key. I do have like 4 other trusted devices but the thought of a key I might need one day scared me.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
AFAIK they changed the behavior and name of two factor somewhere along the way. It used to be two step I think. Now it’s two factor. Now you don’t have a recovery key but have to provide trusted phone numbers. You are also urged to provide at least one phone number other than your own.

Edit: here are the differences explained:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207198

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204152

bronin fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 30, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’ve never heard of this recovery key thing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I also do not have a recovery key in my 2FA settings.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The recovery key is only for two step.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 30, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of recovery issues my kid changed her passcode and her iCloud password and promptly forgot both of them. We're currently waiting for Apple to complete an account recovery which is supposed to take upwards of 6 days.

They'll send some kind of notice that I have to respond to within 3 hours. They had me remove her SIM card and stick it in an old iPhone SE so now I have to carry 2 phones (plus her temporarily bricked phone) which sucks. When everything is finally working again I'll add my number as one of her trusted numbers to avoid this happening again.

Also I will forever hate Apple for not making an iPhone SE2 that's just an iPhone SE without a home button. I love this phone's size and how it fits in my hand. Give me a gesture based UI and a little more screen size and it'd be perfect.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Is there a way to reset notification prompts for all apps? I just upgraded to the 11 and none of my apps are showing badges or notications besides the stock ios ones.

I tried turning them on and off the settings but no dice. I'd rather not have to reinstall everything.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I’ve never heard of this recovery key thing.

I *think* it only ever really occurs when you’re a single device user. For example - “I only own an iPhone. I don’t have an iPad, MBP, etc.”

My mom had this situation with her iPad till she got an iPhone and I’ve never seen the Recovery Key thing since.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

how can i tell that deep fusion has kicked in on a photo?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You can't, from what I've read. It doesn't even show in the metadata.

More info on how to get it: https://9to5mac.com/2019/10/29/how-to-use-deep-fusion-iphone-11-pro-camera-feature/

Basically if 1x or 2x lens in medium light.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 30, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ulvir posted:

how can i tell that deep fusion has kicked in on a photo?

Make sure you're taking medium-light photos of sweaters?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Also make sure capture outside frame is off apparently

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

101 posted:

Also make sure capture outside frame is off apparently

does it have to be off for both video and photos, or just photos?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

god this blows posted:

does it have to be off for both video and photos, or just photos?

Just photos afaik. I'm still rocking a XS Max though, this knowledge is just from tech podcasts so take with a grain of salt

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Krispy Wafer posted:

Speaking of recovery issues my kid changed her passcode and her iCloud password and promptly forgot both of them. We're currently waiting for Apple to complete an account recovery which is supposed to take upwards of 6 days.

They'll send some kind of notice that I have to respond to within 3 hours. They had me remove her SIM card and stick it in an old iPhone SE so now I have to carry 2 phones (plus her temporarily bricked phone) which sucks. When everything is finally working again I'll add my number as one of her trusted numbers to avoid this happening again.

Also I will forever hate Apple for not making an iPhone SE2 that's just an iPhone SE without a home button. I love this phone's size and how it fits in my hand. Give me a gesture based UI and a little more screen size and it'd be perfect.

I had the same thing happen with my son a few weeks ago. I tried everything, even had Sprint switch his number to my iPhone, but to recover his Apple ID it still wanted his password. So I had to request a recovery to come to my number (you don't have to use her number), and 5 days later I got a text from Apple on my phone to reset his Apple ID password. Once I did, I was able to get his phone working.

Be warn it will ask for the passcode again (at least it did for us) when taking the phone out of recovery mode. I had to call Apple, and they had me use the option I didn't know the passcode. From there it reinstalled everything, but it didn't install what is considered sensitive data (Wallet info, Health app info, etc.). You have to manually add that back.

I understand why Apple does this, but it is a little insane that you can't go to a Sprint or Apple store to prove to them you are the owner of the iPhone and get everything unlocked.

That said I do have a recovery key for my Apple ID (since the first day they offered it).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

nate fisher posted:

I understand why Apple does this, but it is a little insane that you can't go to a Sprint or Apple store to prove to them you are the owner of the iPhone and get everything unlocked.

I can understand having this available at Apple Store, but no fuckin way would I trust a carrier store (corporate or independent) with that ability.

If you login to appleid.apple.com you can set recovery options. You can add phone numbers and other email addresses for recovery purposes.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
AirPods Pro initial impressions:

Noise cancellation is good. Turned ESPN way up during a loud Stephen A Smith rant and put on a podcast and it was nice and clear. Bass is definitely improved from the IEM design. Don't expect BASSXXXXXXTREME poo poo but I definitely noticed it improved on the songs I listened to.

I also really appreciate how the ANC does not do the vacuum effect which can be really disorientating.

Only thing I'm having a bit of a problem with is getting used to putting them back in the case stem out, vs in with the old ones.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I had the same thing happen with my son a few weeks ago. I tried everything, even had Sprint switch his number to my iPhone, but to recover his Apple ID it still wanted his password. So I had to request a recovery to come to my number (you don't have to use her number), and 5 days later I got a text from Apple on my phone to reset his Apple ID password. Once I did, I was able to get his phone working.

Be warn it will ask for the passcode again (at least it did for us) when taking the phone out of recovery mode. I had to call Apple, and they had me use the option I didn't know the passcode. From there it reinstalled everything, but it didn't install what is considered sensitive data (Wallet info, Health app info, etc.). You have to manually add that back.

That said I do have a recovery key for my Apple ID (since the first day they offered it).

After we set everything up they said I could go back and change it to ping my phone number, but it always seems to default to hers so I'm doing something wrong. That means I'm carrying multiple gadgets like I'm some kind of NASA security guard. They did bring up another option which was to prove I owned the phone via a receipt. I submitted that as well, which is supposed to release the activation lock on the phone. Then my kid can create a temporary Apple ID if she wants.

This is the second time she's done this. The first time she made a 48 character passcode meticulously written down that of course had a mistake. That time I fortunately had a computer backup so I could restore it, but this time no bueno.

I hadn't heard about recovery keys. So it's a non-recoverable password/passcode that you can enter to bypass the other protections?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there an app or website that can help transfer contacts and photos from Android to iOS? My spouse will be making the switch tomorrow from a Galaxy 6S to my old iPhone 6S. They’ll be doing it at the Verizon Store if it makes any difference.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

terre packet posted:

Is there an app or website that can help transfer contacts and photos from Android to iOS? My spouse will be making the switch tomorrow from a Galaxy 6S to my old iPhone 6S. They’ll be doing it at the Verizon Store if it makes any difference.

Go to the play store and download Move to iOS. It's what I did for my LG G6. No complaints.

It won't transfer any paid apps though, so you'll have to find them in the App Store (Pocketcsts, etc.)

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Go to the play store and download Move to iOS. It's what I did for my LG G6. No complaints.

It won't transfer any paid apps though, so you'll have to find them in the App Store (Pocketcsts, etc.)

Perfect. Thank you!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

terre packet posted:

If you didn't want to use an app or wait on doing it, on PC you can export her contacts from Google, and upload to her Apple ID (I assume she has already setup an Apple ID) via icloud.com. That way they will just be there when she signs into the phone. Photos I would just make sure they are all backed up to Google Photos, and you can download the Google photos app on your iPhone. That way they will not take up any of your iPhone or iCloud space, and she will have access to them.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a store credit so I went in and tested out AirPods Pro and Beats Pro. Was not impressed with the sound quality. Really didn't make a big difference over my gen 1 AirPods.

Pass.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm really interested in first impressions on the Echo Buds. I know the process is more seamless with AirPods, but my AirPods already gently caress up and unsync the moment I hit play in an area where I don't want my music blasting at least once a week. How much worse can a non-Apple product be.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Boris Galerkin posted:

It didn’t give one to you when you first turned it on? I could be confusing it with the recovery key for macOS encryption but every other 2FA gives you some recovery keys from my experience.

But anyway, Settings > Name > Password/Security > Recovery Key.

You only get the option to use a recovery key if you went directly from Two-Step to Two- Factor, which hardly anybody did.

Far more likely you're looking at account recovery if you don't have another trusted phone number already tied to the account (Everyone should have a second trusted phone number, but sadly few do) but you may be able to bypass the waiting period depending on Apple's arcane magics and how much personal info you can give.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204921

tl;dr version- You wanna use the Apple Support app or the Find My app on any other device (can even be store demo units) and try to sign in with the account and with luck it may allow you directly reset the password otherwise you gonna wait.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm really interested in first impressions on the Echo Buds. I know the process is more seamless with AirPods, but my AirPods already gently caress up and unsync the moment I hit play in an area where I don't want my music blasting at least once a week. How much worse can a non-Apple product be.

I have no idea because mine never do that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
So Trip Report for AirPod Pros so far:

- Apparently I can get Apple Store purchases delivered locally for $5 so that's cool.
- Noise-cancelling works pretty well.
- Transparency is neat and cool. I've used it a few times while at Coffee Shops to talk with the barista or w/e.
- Audio quality is definitely better than AirPod Poors. Are they better than similarly priced IEM's? No, but they are a lot better than just AirPod Poors.

Given the noise-cancelling, better audio quality, and the move from One-Size-Fits-Some model to One-Size-Fits-Most, I'd argue they're actually a better value than regular AirPods.

I'd probably tell friends/family that if you're willing to shell out $150 for the AirPods, just bite the bullet and get the Pros. They'll fit better, do pretty well on noise cancellation, and probably a better value for what they are.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah so far I am very happy with them.

The Noise-Cancelling works pretty drat good and I'm impressed and yeah that Transparency mode is very neat and cool.

Yeah they are expensive but I use mine every day and have gotten a lot of mileage out of the older AirPods (RIP).

I can't really comment on the sound quality but I feel like they are better but its not a night and day thing.

I also decided to add on the $29 Apple Care+ because it really isn't that much and these things weren't exactly cheap.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I'm torn on the Airpods Pro.

PRO: They have tips so they might actually fit my ears. I've never had any success with a bud or pod or whatever staying put in my ear, and on the rare occasion that it did, it started hurting after about half an hour.

CON: loving PROPRIETARY TIPS. Make something with at stem, Timb Apple, so I can put a Comply tip on that mother fucker.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Knockoffs will flood Amazon within weeks.

It does seem like a poor decision but on the other hand when Apple does stuff like this it's usually got some kind of quality of life logic behind it. Like maybe this new design eliminates the problem of comply tips sliding off the pole when they age, and getting stuck in my ears. :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah we will see knock off tips soon enough.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

Knockoffs will flood Amazon within weeks.

It does seem like a poor decision but on the other hand when Apple does stuff like this it's usually got some kind of quality of life logic behind it. Like maybe this new design eliminates the problem of comply tips sliding off the pole when they age, and getting stuck in my ears. :v:

Yeah, I think the design is so that you don’t have a hard plastic nozzle jammed inside your ear like with true IEM’s

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought proprietary watch bands were a blatant cash grab, but they're easier to take on and off. Apple may get a brief period of exclusivity where they make more money, but in the end the designs are just better.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, earbud tips are probably the easiest thing in the world to clone. The question is whether something like foam tips will work properly with the dynamic tuning they claim the new airpods do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The noise cancelling on these dumb things is pretty drat nice. And hey the case has wireless charging as well so it saves me the trouble of bothering with the cable.