Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good bundle at Best Buy this weekend
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1188949268297445376?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fact that series has been dead for more than a decade is just tragic. Though adding the on-foot missions to 3 was a baffling design choice, those were absolute rear end.

I sort of understand why, Rogue Squadrons bread and butter was recreating scenes from the movies and most popular comics, but after two games they were kind of running out of new stuff to adapt.

That being said - I would straight up kill a man for Project ACES to resurrect the title, Ace Combat 7 came out this year and shows that they still got it and could put together an absolutely bonkers dogfighting game to build a star wars plot around.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Ahh hell's bells. I've got a 10% off voucher for the Nintendo UK Store. I'm going to have to get the vouchers for two games, and use them for Luigi's Mansion 3 and DQ11, aren't I?

God dammit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Phantasy Star is the only super old school JRPG that aged well. Or well that's what I would have said if there were item descriptiobs and an in-game map.

I hope that the Dragon Quest Monster port gets localized. It's the GBC game, but surrounding the borders is the map and character stats and stuff. It looks super nice.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only dragon quest side game I want is rocket slime. Give me that pls

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I sort of understand why, Rogue Squadrons bread and butter was recreating scenes from the movies and most popular comics, but after two games they were kind of running out of new stuff to adapt.

That being said - I would straight up kill a man for Project ACES to resurrect the title, Ace Combat 7 came out this year and shows that they still got it and could put together an absolutely bonkers dogfighting game to build a star wars plot around.

The closest you're getting in the foreseeable future is Rebel Galaxy Outlaw that is hitting Switch sometime next year. Easily one of my top ten games this year and it works amazingly well on a gamepad. I expect it to run pretty drat good on the Switch since the devs have taken a lot of smart shortcuts to get it running on a hamster wheel of a PC.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Translate 1 and 3, then put them all into one collection. I would pay a lot of money for this.

Edit: Rocket Slime

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flint_Paper posted:

Ahh hell's bells. I've got a 10% off voucher for the Nintendo UK Store. I'm going to have to get the vouchers for two games, and use them for Luigi's Mansion 3 and DQ11, aren't I?

God dammit.
Did they extend the vouchers existing? I thought they went away at the end of July and to be honest I have not bought anything without using a banked voucher since then.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How did rocket slime end up being so good

Like to this day it defies explanation

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did they extend the vouchers existing? I thought they went away at the end of July and to be honest I have not bought anything without using a banked voucher since then.
UK vouchers are available forever.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You can preorder/redeem a voucher for Pokemon Sword/Shield on the eShop now, if anybody was waiting on that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So DQ1 is way better than FF1. DQ11 is way better than FFXV

AM I TO ASSUME EVERY DRAGON QUEST IS WAY BETTER THAN IT'S FINAL FANTASY CONTEMPORARY

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

T-Square posted:

drat it goons, I haven't bought a new Switch game besides Goose Game for months and was all excited to go pick up Switcher 3 and Luigi's Mansion 3 this week and you're all making me second guess my decision :(

Witcher is AAA open world trash, but LM3 is getting good reviews and looks promising.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Details? How is it so bad?

Bosses, bad level design, awful camera, the mini-games all suck, and the jumping mechanic is extremely inaccurate mixed with the camera, making it too difficult to get good timed jumps. I am dying a lot to really unfair situations that are outside of my control, it is not fun. I just wanted Monkey Ball 1 & 2 on Switch, and it's my fault for not researching this further. I'll probably keep trying to play it but I feel stupid buying this.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

RandomFerret posted:

The only dragon quest side game I want is rocket slime. Give me that pls

The girl in your avatar is my new waifu.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Most of the missions weren’t from the movies, they would usually have one or two space battles per game with the rest being new material.

I think a lot of the problem was that they kludged the on foot parts from the parts of the game where you ran around to pick a vehicle, but now you tap A to shoot dudes. It was pretty inelegant. They had some ground vehicle levels they made, they should have done more of those if they wanted to branch out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Level 5 died because of Sony and the six-axis

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

AM I TO ASSUME EVERY DRAGON QUEST IS WAY BETTER THAN IT'S FINAL FANTASY CONTEMPORARY

Generally yes

Final fantasy is just weird, it's not a bad time it's just bizarre and not often in a good way. All post SNES entries also have a very tryhard vibe that age poorly with each new shift in gaming trends

DQ gives you exactly what it promises on the tin. You either like traditional medieval fantasy turn based rpgs or you don't, no wankery involved

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It was half to avoid saying "monkey balls" and half because I take any opportunity to do the pluralization thing in hilarious ways

I applaud your restraint

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tae posted:

Level 5 died because of Sony and the six-axis

White Knight Chronicles 2 is unironically my favorite JRPG from them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I said come in! posted:

White Knight Chronicles 2 is unironically my favorite JRPG from them.

Is white Knight Chronicles 1 worth playing? I noticed it's on Sony's streaming service and I had totally forgotten that series existed but I remember being hyped about it at ps4 launch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Papercut posted:

Is white Knight Chronicles 1 worth playing? I noticed it's on Sony's streaming service and I had totally forgotten that series existed but I remember being hyped about it at ps4 launch

It's not in my opinion. WKC2 makes a whole bunch of balance changes to the combat that makes it much faster and less tedious to play. Plus more content. I really can't go back to playing WKC1 as a result. I wish the online mode were still going but it's not a big loss either. It's confusing that WKC2 wasn't on PS Now instead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ColdPie posted:

Witcher is AAA open world trash, but LM3 is getting good reviews and looks promising.

Counterpoint: the majority of the goon posts I've read about Witcher 3 are universal praise for it being The Best Game Ever and it's sitting at above 80 on Metacritic

I should play my copy someday

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FF is weird and ambitious and experimental with every new release while Dragon Quest is a polished, consistent product that always delivers exactly what you expect it to from a team that’s long since gotten these kind of games down to a precise science.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When people hate the witcher, they really hate it and on the internet, you only notice the negative things among thousands of positive remarks because brains are broken as poo poo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I much prefer FF to DQ. I like it when RPGs try new stuff.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Is there ever gonna be a time where they reduce some of the older/less popular first party Switch games in price. That would be sick

Buy used. You can buy them for like $40-50 and then resell when you're done for about the same price.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I much prefer FF to DQ. I like it when RPGs try new stuff.

DQ and Pokemon both fit into this category where, once a decade I get really pumped for the latest release, play it for 20-30 hours, then I'm good. I'm about at that point with 11, where I've gotten the whole party and finished a big plot chunk and was set loose in a new town where ... I dunno. I'm OK picking the series back up with DQ15 on the Switch 3 or whatever.

But I've played FF10 a half dozen times, and remember really enjoying 15 (even if that's literally all I can remember ... there was a car and a girl, then at the end you fought a guy in a scarf or something).

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 30, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I immediately discount anyone's opinion who dislikes games simply for being 'AAA'. Reeks of game-hipster bullshit, things don't become bad just because they have budgets.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Small, stupid point, but Final Fantasy 1's closest DQ contemporary is actually DQ3. Both DQ1 and DQ2 came out significantly ahead of FF1 in Japan, though of course were contemporaries in the US.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I immediately discount anyone's opinion who dislikes games simply for being 'AAA'. Reeks of game-hipster bullshit, things don't become bad just because they have budgets.

Yeah, AAA games are often bad because usually only certain types of games get that huge budget but it's not a sure thing

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The option to get a free steelbook case with when purchasing Pokemon from the eshop is weird considering you'd have nothing to put in it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Andrast posted:

Yeah, AAA games are often bad because usually only certain types of games get that huge budget but it's not a sure thing

I would say that there are definitely *more* AAA games that are open-world, shooters, etc. But I also feel like there is a pretty decent amount of variety these days, although it goes without saying certain genres lend themselves more to it than others. You're probably not going to see a puzzle game with a big budget too often, although the Witness probably counts there so even that has exceptions.

But there are also a ton of lovely budget shooters and open-world games too so...I just really think it comes down to people tying to build their personalities around not liking 'popular game series'

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SeANMcBAY posted:

My account finally stopped recommending “SJWs are coming to kill your video games” horseshit and I’m scared to click on anything new to make it come back.

Hit the three dots next to the video you don't want to see > Not Interested > Tell us why > I'm not interested in this channel: Reddit fuckwit theory

Keep doing this until you've blacklisted every channel you don't want to see.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I would say that there are definitely *more* AAA games that are open-world, shooters, etc. But I also feel like there is a pretty decent amount of variety these days, although it goes without saying certain genres lend themselves more to it than others. You're probably not going to see a puzzle game with a big budget too often, although the Witness probably counts there so even that has exceptions.

But there are also a ton of lovely budget shooters and open-world games too so...I just really think it comes down to people tying to build their personalities around not liking 'popular game series'

The Witness was almost entirely a passion project by a single guy, it definitely doesn't count

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Andrast posted:

The Witness was a passion project by a single guy, it definitely doesn't count

Yeah you're right, I guess I just think of it as being a bigger title because it had a decent amount of support from the platform-holders.

Just not a lot you can accomplish by throwing money at that genre.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah you're right, I guess I just think of it as being a bigger title because it had a decent amount of support from the platform-holders.

Just not a lot you can accomplish by throwing money at that genre.

Yeah, one of the coolest puzzle games I've ever played could probably be a NES game (Baba is you)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

T-Square posted:

drat it goons, I haven't bought a new Switch game besides Goose Game for months and was all excited to go pick up Switcher 3 and Luigi's Mansion 3 this week and you're all making me second guess my decision :(

Do what I do and buy old ports like RE4 or one of the Final Fantasies, or play the games on the Online SNES/NES emulators. (Currently going through Dark Souls. I'm enjoying it again so maybe that?) Also get Obra Dinn, it may not be long but it is perfect. Edit: Baba is You is great too!

Or become a Tetris 99 champ.

KingSlime posted:

Generally yes

Final fantasy is just weird, it's not a bad time it's just bizarre and not often in a good way. All post SNES entries also have a very tryhard vibe that age poorly with each new shift in gaming trends

DQ gives you exactly what it promises on the tin. You either like traditional medieval fantasy turn based rpgs or you don't, no wankery involved

FF is better if only because of the music. That in itself makes the series excellent. The games are actually really great. I haven't played many DQ aside from the demo of 11 and 8 but it is a pleasant and generic but perfect RPG. The weirdness in FF is terrific, and I say that having done only 1-6 for now. The range between the Job games, and the non-job games is huge but they're all good and fun. Also, I just love Dragoons. I don't see DQ having any Dragoons.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Port Phantasy Star IV and also remake it you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think it's great that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest both exist. Dragon Quest is a gold standard, always the best at what it does. And what it does is going to be extremely traditional. Final Fantasy on the other hand always strives to do something new and different and isn't afraid to polarize it's audience. Musically, I'll give it to Final Fantasy, easily. Dragon Quest is better at crafting stories that will pull at your heartstrings.

That said, if there's a practice that Dragon Quest ditches, such as random battles, then there's no excuse for the rest of the genre to keep them.