Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Pacific Rim is monsters and robots punching each other, it's not high cinema, but it doesn't deserve to be near the worst of the decade.

Pacific Rim wasn't terrible, but it was jarring because it was about 1000% more fascist than I would have expected from Del Toro.

Guy A. Person posted:

As long as everyone is going ham on super hero movies, I want to mention Spider-Man: Far From Home as holding special disgust in my heart entirely for the drone strike scene. I cannot stress how insanely out of place it is for a character like Spider-Man to just accidentally order a drone strike on the school bully and the whole scene is obviously supposed to be comedic instead of a horrifying commentary on the world we live in. And this is from a franchise (the MCU) that is generally praised for "getting the characters right".

It is mind-boggling to me that 5 years was enough time for marvel to go from Winter Soldier to Far From Home. Soldier was a stupid self-contradictory mess, but at least it understood that death from the skies and a complete violation of everyone's privacy was a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Pacific Rim is monsters and robots punching each other, it's not high cinema, but it doesn't deserve to be near the worst of the decade.

But it's really bad at showing robots and monsters punching each other and the monsters are all boring. For me it's a movie that fails completely at what it's trying to do and not in an interesting way. While it didn't make my top ten, it'd probably be in the top 20.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Retired forums poster penismightier had the best burn for Pacific Rim which was "it's like going through somebody else's puberty."

Pacific Rim is possibly the worst movie of Del Toro's career, just totally boring and a major disappointment. I'll take the ferocious incoherence of Transformers any day (that's not saying Transformers is good, just more interesting).

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Pacific Rim kind of feels like a box of visuals dumped onto a table and aligned to imply some sort of plot. I went in pretty hype because I love GDT, but it felt so... meandering at times.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just don't understand how anyone makes a Kaiju movie with boring Kaiju. Like the awesome monsters are the majority of appeal of those movies. There is very little I like about that movie but that's the part that still baffles me, I just love the part at the end where they're freaking out because a monster that is more powerful than all the others is coming and it just sort of looks like all the other ones except maybe bigger. I just don't get how GDT of all people could gently caress that up

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Pacific Rim was pretty great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jurassic world Fallen Kingdom was amazingly poo poo.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

I just realized we're at page 4 and no one has brought up the Hobbit Trilogy. Maybe we are better off forgetting it exists but I can't let it pass. Those drat films broke Sir Ian McKellens heart, that poo poo ain't right!

Oh and it hosed New Zealands film industry, let's not forget that.

I will say, though, everyone needs to watch the entire 9-hour making-of documentary. It might be accidentally the greatest look at filmmaking. It's like 8 1/2 if Claude Lanzmann had directed it. Watch Peter Jackson go from spry to gray-haired, haggard, and unhealthy-looking. Ian McKellan has a nervous breakdown from spending a day acting alone in a greenscreen room. The entire sound team stays up for 24+ hours to deliver the final sound mix for the first movie.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

I will say, though, everyone needs to watch the entire 9-hour making-of documentary. It might be accidentally the greatest look at filmmaking. It's like 8 1/2 if Claude Lanzmann had directed it. Watch Peter Jackson go from spry to gray-haired, haggard, and unhealthy-looking. Ian McKellan has a nervous breakdown from spending a day acting alone in a greenscreen room. The entire sound team stays up for 24+ hours to deliver the final sound mix for the first movie.

Do you know if this is available online anywhere, or is it pretty locked to special features? Can't seem to find it on YouTube.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tart Kitty posted:

Terrifier is a solid pick. I'm a horror gal through-and-through but that movie is straight smashed assholes.
It really is. They came up with a genuinely horrifying death sequence (the saw scene) and a clever reversal (pullling the gun) but buried it all under lovely editing and horrifying misogyny.

exquisite tea posted:

How should we film this grandiloquent, sweeping epic told across three decades of turmoil and civil unrest in 19th century Paris? I know, let's hold the camera five inches away from everybody's sweaty face at all times.

Simply baffling. I love both the book and the musical, the casting here was (mostly) on point. It should have been a much better film than it was.
You can forgive something like that in Mohawk, which was clearly made with spare change, but doing it when you have an actual budget is mystifying.

ruddiger posted:

It was easily one of the most evil moves in modern movie marketing and way worse than some fuckin' rad music video.
:colbert:

Egbert Souse posted:

I sort of need to watch this. I watched all the LOTR making ofs as a kid, and they were so goddamn sweet, how almost every scene and shot had a story behind it about how passionate everyone was and how much they all got along. Like how they had a big party/picnic all night in order to get some shot at dawn they needed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Earth Table posted:

Do you know if this is available online anywhere, or is it pretty locked to special features? Can't seem to find it on YouTube.

It's split up into three parts across the extended editions. Might be able to rent, though I've seen them in a lot of thrift/used media stores.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

axelblaze posted:

I just don't understand how anyone makes a Kaiju movie with boring Kaiju. Like the awesome monsters are the majority of appeal of those movies. There is very little I like about that movie but that's the part that still baffles me, I just love the part at the end where they're freaking out because a monster that is more powerful than all the others is coming and it just sort of looks like all the other ones except maybe bigger. I just don't get how GDT of all people could gently caress that up

The guy he had doing worldbuilding was a nerd fascist, so the kaiju are all untermensch. The category 5 is named "Slatern."

I can only assume that Del Toro abandoned the franchise out of embarrassment.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't feel right putting movies i haven't seen on a worst of list but by all accounts Range 15 is the product of a sick society, with the moral dignity and entertainment value of an ISIS execution.

Honestly I'd probably respect somebody more if they watched and enjoyed an ISIS execution than if they watched and enjoyed Range 15 because it takes more effort to find the execution video.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 30, 2019

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

Retired forums poster penismightier had the best burn for Pacific Rim which was "it's like going through somebody else's puberty."

I think he was the one who made the argument that both Pacific Rim and Movie 43 were the worst movie of the year, Pacific Rim because it had so much more potential, and Movie 43 because it was Movie 43.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pacific Rim is a combination Gundam/Kaiju movie without the good parts of either.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
A special mention for that Tyler Perry film that ends with a woman who cheater on her husband getting AIDS and it's treated as a moment of karmic justice.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I Before E posted:

Pacific Rim is a combination Gundam/Kaiju movie without the good parts of either.

There's nothing Gundam about Pacific Rim. It's got two pilots in one robot fighting alien monsters so the obvious comparison is Vandread.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 30, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

It's split up into three parts across the extended editions. Might be able to rent, though I've seen them in a lot of thrift/used media stores.

There's an extended edition of the Hobbit? gently caress why would anyone subject themselves to that?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

There's nothing Gundam about Pacific Rim. It's got two pilots in one robot fighting alien monsters so the obvious comparison is Vandread.

Honestly it's really blatantly riffing on Go Nagai and Ken Ishikawa stuff and I never really got the Gundam/Eva comparisons

Like the plot is almost literally Getter Robo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly it's really blatantly riffing on Go Nagai and Ken Ishikawa stuff and I never really got the Gundam/Eva comparisons

Like the plot is almost literally Getter Robo

I think for a lot of Americans if they have any point of comparison for giant robots at all, it's Gundam. In nerdier circles there's people who also know about Evangelion, so that's their only point of comparison for a giant robot that links to the pilot's brain in some way.

Like five people in America have read Getter Robo Go :(

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I Before E posted:

I don't feel right putting movies i haven't seen on a worst of list but by all accounts Range 15 is the product of a sick society, with the moral dignity and entertainment value of an ISIS execution.

Honestly I'd probably respect somebody more if they watched and enjoyed an ISIS execution than if they watched and enjoyed Range 15 because it takes more effort to find the execution video.

It's hard to really articulate how black the hearts of those filmmakers are. Like, this movie -- made by military bros who wanted to see military and gun culture depicted accurately on film -- ends with a potshot making fun of veterans with PTSD with a joke about one of the characters "isn't a pussy afraid of fireworks on the 4th of July."

One of two main female characters is randomly executed by one of the protagonists simply for speaking out of turn. Characters routinely laugh as their friends are bitten by zombies before immediately killing them. The fact that this came out in 2016 and there was no explicit reference to Trump is shocking.

Apparently there's a feature length Making Of doc that I haven't seen but got a copy of and I'm curious just to see what was going through these people's minds in constructing this abomination.

edit: I almost forgot, this movie opens with a trans woman (played by a cis woman) being punched in the face for being a trap and it being played for laughs. Just a cruel, sick movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm having a tough time trying to come up with worst movies of the 2010s because there's a ton of movies I saw this decade that I liked in theater but after the experience wore off, I became lukewarm. I think the biggest problem with the current system isn't making duds, it's overwhelming mediocrity.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

It's hard to really articulate how black the hearts of those filmmakers are. Like, this movie -- made by military bros who wanted to see military and gun culture depicted accurately on film

Wow, sounds like they nailed it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm having a tough time trying to come up with worst movies of the 2010s because there's a ton of movies I saw this decade that I liked in theater but after the experience wore off, I became lukewarm. I think the biggest problem with the current system isn't making duds, it's overwhelming mediocrity.

:same:

Hell, there are several movies that I remember not regretting an afternoon watching in the theater, but have no desire to ever revisit it. I feel like the overwhelming mediocrity is why I have such a lukewarm outlook on film these days.

EDIT:
I mean I saw the original Avengers in the theater, and in hindsight it definitely wasn't good, but on the otherhand I was unemployed and it was a fun enough afternoon, that ended with me getting shitfaced and making out with a rando at the bar that evening. I have not ever really had the desire to watch it again either.

Jurassic World is another one where I didn't have a bad time watching it in the theater, but I also don't really want to see it ever again either.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 30, 2019

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I feel like the 2010's in terms of bad films was mostly high profile duds, big budget bad movies which are generally boring etc.

The truly repulsive horrible poo poo were either indie or barely seen box office duds or "documentary" style films by idiots like Dinesh.

Again, I'll defend Marvel films, I even like Ultron, so maybe I'm the wrong person for this, but unless the film is activly ruining something like Jurassic World, big budget poo poo usually just kinda passes by like a fart. The worst of the worst are the things like All Hallows Eve or Range 15 which you can feel a sense of deep hatred for people in.

Here's one: The Green Inferno. Eli Roth makes a cannibal horror movie that's entire ethos is "loving CUCK LIBS, YOU WANNA SAVE THE RAINFOREST? ENJOY DYING HORRIBLY, loving IDIOTS, WHORES, MORONS!"

It's just a deeply hate filled movie.

OpenSourceBurger fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 30, 2019

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Splint Chesthair posted:

Wow, sounds like they nailed it.

Didn't mean to imply that they didn't.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TrixRabbi posted:

It's hard to really articulate how black the hearts of those filmmakers are. Like, this movie -- made by military bros who wanted to see military and gun culture depicted accurately on film -- ends with a potshot making fun of veterans with PTSD with a joke about one of the characters "isn't a pussy afraid of fireworks on the 4th of July."

One of two main female characters is randomly executed by one of the protagonists simply for speaking out of turn. Characters routinely laugh as their friends are bitten by zombies before immediately killing them. The fact that this came out in 2016 and there was no explicit reference to Trump is shocking.

Apparently there's a feature length Making Of doc that I haven't seen but got a copy of and I'm curious just to see what was going through these people's minds in constructing this abomination.

edit: I almost forgot, this movie opens with a trans woman (played by a cis woman) being punched in the face for being a trap and it being played for laughs. Just a cruel, sick movie.

Yeah if you're going to take the idea of worst movies seriously, then you need to think about movies that are morally appalling. Range 15, The Littlest Reich, Red Christmas.

A case could also be made for movies which are just out and out heretical, like Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas. People putting Pacific Rim on blast for not developing the international pilots enough, meanwhile Saving Christmas is literally trying to drat your soul.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

American Sniper is both morally disgusting and poorly made!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
When it comes to worst movies no one needs to do anything that goes beyond haw they define a movie as. If you think a movie was the worst of the decade, then it should be on your list in this thread. We aren't looking for objectively bad movies because that would be dumb.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

American Sniper is both morally disgusting and poorly made!

Also had the fun side effect of people on twitter cheering the idea of anyone of middle eastern descent being killed.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It's also not something that necessarily needs to be ranked. Like, Range 15 may be morally putrid but how many people actually saw it? The production of The Hobbit also actively crushed collective bargaining efforts in New Zealand, forcing changes to the law that impacted thousands of film workers and is still being felt today. So on top of it being a bloated, boring waste of time and resources it also had a tangible, awful effect on an entire country.

But even if Pacific Rim never really hurt anybody, I have no problem including it for failing to achieve everything it set out to do and generally disappointing and boring me. It doesn't have to be actively evil to be included here.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Everyone sees films differently. You find Age of Ultron to be awful, I really enjoyed it. People are going to find certain things about certain films more deserving of ire or hate than anyone else.

Range 15 might be underseen, but you can still find it disgusting and hate filled enough to deserve a place. Some people might find Green Inferno to be a decent look at an old horror genre, I think it's detestable. It's varied.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It’s worth noting that very rarely will I watch a movie that is intentionally awful. I will not watch Birdemic, Foodfight!, Unplanned, or DTV films that sound utterly cursed (which comprises 99% of DTV films). I also don’t watch as many films as I used to. Thus, Justice League reigns supreme even though I know objectively there are possibly dozens to hundreds of worse flicks out there.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I made my list based on what got the most negative reaction from me, so movies that are technically incompetent but hilarious couldn't honestly be on there, and sticking to movies I've actually seen disqualifies stuff like Littlest Reich where it's straightforwardly vile enough that I wouldn't give it the time of day.

I debated putting Frank on there, as it's just a dreary bore with bad music, but I just felt exhausted at the end of that, whereas after The Disaster Artist I felt insulted.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alec Eiffel posted:

It’s worth noting that very rarely will I watch a movie that is intentionally awful. I will not watch Birdemic, Foodfight!, Unplanned, or DTV films that sound utterly cursed (which comprises 99% of DTV films). I also don’t watch as many films as I used to. Thus, Justice League reigns supreme even though I know objectively there are possibly dozens to hundreds of worse flicks out there.

Birdemic doesn't deserve to be put in that company, it's legitimately hilarious and doesn't have a vile message.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I Before E posted:

Birdemic doesn't deserve to be put in that company, it's legitimately hilarious and doesn't have a vile message.

Yeah even if it's been meme'd out as gently caress, I can't really be mad at Birdemic. It's a labor of love. That love is blind and running into walls, but love nonetheless.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tart Kitty posted:

Yeah even if it's been meme'd out as gently caress, I can't really be mad at Birdemic. It's a labor of love. That love is blind and running into walls, but love nonetheless.

I never got around to Birdemic, but yeah, I never thought of it as bad on purpose. On the other-hand you had both Birdemic and The Room inspiring the bad on purpose genre.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

axelblaze posted:

When it comes to worst movies no one needs to do anything that goes beyond haw they define a movie as. If you think a movie was the worst of the decade, then it should be on your list in this thread. We aren't looking for objectively bad movies because that would be dumb.

The issue is that the notion of a “Worst Of” list creates the idea that a worst movie is a thing that exists.

That’s to say that, while you’re right that there is no objectively-worst movie, there is also no such thing as a subjectively-worst movie. There are multiple ‘worsts’ - which is why we end up with all these statements full of qualifiers, like “Green Inferno’s well-made, but the message is stupid”. Other movies don’t count as ‘worst’ because they’re too obscure to be impactful, and so-on.

You also get fixation on particular details - like, Jurassic World is a genuinely bad movie, but it was specifically brought down by studio editing that removed narrative context from around all the action scenes. (The infamous babysitter death scene was originally contextualized by the lovely older child character absolutely despising her and apparently fantasizing about her death - so he is ‘scared straight’ when it actually happens. Without that character’s specific libidinal investment in the babysitter, the scene is utterly pointless - but too expensive to cut.) So it's got possibly worst editing, but it's otherwise just a kind of mediocre Michael Bay riff.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 30, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

I made my list based on what got the most negative reaction from me, so movies that are technically incompetent but hilarious couldn't honestly be on there, and sticking to movies I've actually seen disqualifies stuff like Littlest Reich where it's straightforwardly vile enough that I wouldn't give it the time of day.

I debated putting Frank on there, as it's just a dreary bore with bad music, but I just felt exhausted at the end of that, whereas after The Disaster Artist I felt insulted.

Oh I liked Frank a lot. I've been in bands and have written songs, I'm fascinated by people like Daniel Johnston, Thomas Pynchon, Jandek, Scott Walker, all the performances are great, and the soundtrack is good in the movie. Outside of the context of the film, the music kinda falls apart except for "I Love You All". It's a solid flick in my book.

Something like Burton's Alice In Wonderland really infuriates me. Same with the aforementioned Red Christmas, which is just hateful and wrong and morally reprehensible.

Mike Flanagan's Absentia is also an annoying movie. I like Oculus and Hush, so it's not like I hate him, but Absentia gets under my skin. I've talked about it a few times, but the detective in that movie sucks so much, and he chews gum with an open mouth, and they added his gum smacking into the sound design, so I'm forced to watch this lovely actor play an a dumb character in a lackluster film, and I have to hear him chew gum every single time he's on screen. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I feel kinda proud I got to work on the worst and the best Nic Cage movies of the decade.