Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
The final zoom in of the painting also focused on indistinct white and black spots/swirls; that, if anything, felt very close to the visual storytelling style Moore/Gibbons utilized in Watchmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
In the Hero Story clip, the criminal MEN asked for everyone’s WATCHES. This is a reference to the original graphic novel of the same name,

e: j/k, but it really is easy to go overboard with finding references in this show

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

KoRMaK posted:

Why the gently caress would I care about the difference between a communist and a nazi, both dead ideologies when capitalism was doing so well for me ?

How old are you?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The fictional political landscape of the show is so interesting. The ruling ethos is like a form of Third-Wayism except instead of taking the "good" parts of left and right ideology they took they combined the most horrible parts of each into a disgusting mix of smiling repression and misery.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I was about to post a crack theory about multiple Hooded Justices as the TV guy was white.

Then I realized they were probably just whitewashing Will.

I will say I do like how the show blends the most idiotic parts of both political sides into one hosed up whole.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I picked up the comic for a re-read as I'm enjoying the show so much. I remembered back in the early internet there were text pages going through it panel by panel and summarizing the connections and motis. Now all Google turns up is study guides for kids who have been assigned the book at school. Makes me feel old...

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Bedshaped posted:

The fictional political landscape of the show is so interesting. The ruling ethos is like a form of Third-Wayism except instead of taking the "good" parts of left and right ideology they took they combined the most horrible parts of each into a disgusting mix of smiling repression and misery.

I was thinking this world is the embodiment of political Twitter's greatest dreams/nightmares depending on your political alignment.

Nixonville seems to be a reference to Hoovervilles, though its residents worship Nixon instead? Echoes of Iraq invasion part 2 when they tear down the statue.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kodo posted:

Nixonville seems to be a reference to Hoovervilles, though its residents worship Nixon instead? Echoes of Iraq invasion part 2 when they tear down the statue.

Hoovervilles were not exactly full of people that thought highly of Hoover.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
The article about Judd's death, written from the presumably national "WPI Content Network" says

quote:

In a potentially related incident, an armed SWAT unit set up a perimeter around a local Nixonville enclave as part of larger police action in the community.

Note that it doesn't say "Nixonville, a trailer park 15 miles from Tulsa" or "neighboring community, Nixonville". Presumably the copy is saying "A local enclave in famous/recognizable town, Nixonville" or "A local community which fits the famous/recognizable model of other communities legally or colloquially known as Nixonvilles"

e: In Watchmen, Nixon abolished term limits and had a tremendous cult of personality, so it's not at all outside the realm of possibility that a town actually called Nixonville was established in like 1979 or whatever; I doubt it's important regardless of what the municipal designation actually is or means, but it's an interesting bit of worldbuilding

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 30, 2019

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

w0o0o0o posted:

Also I hope we find out what happened to the second shooter in Angela's house. Clearly he didn't pull the trigger; was he told not to finish her off? Her boyfriend/partner seems to vanish from the scene during that initial moment of panic too so maybe he came back with a gun or something.

It was totally Don Jon

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

Necrothatcher posted:

I picked up the comic for a re-read as I'm enjoying the show so much. I remembered back in the early internet there were text pages going through it panel by panel and summarizing the connections and motis. Now all Google turns up is study guides for kids who have been assigned the book at school. Makes me feel old...

https://archive.org/stream/AnnotatedWatchmen/Annotated+Watchmen_djvu.txt

Not sure if that's the one you're looking for. Looks like there are a few out there, plus the official annotated version of the book.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm guessing Nixonville is slang for any poor, conservative enclave trailer park.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Agent355 posted:

Internet conspiracy theory;

It's a pretty well known fact that Moore never liked how many people LOVED Rorschach. He's meant to be this flawed character who shows how hosed up black and white thinking is, but people are just unironically 100% supporters of him anyway.

Now in this show we have 2 characters that are Rorschach. Looking Glass is basically all the cool surface level poo poo. Neat mask, weird habits, but we don't really know what makes him tick. Sister Night on the other hand is basically Rorschach's philosophy without the same window dressing, right now she's torn and nuanced but I'm wondering if she has a 'dogs get put down' moment in the show and ends up being just the same twisted rorschach from the comics.

It'd be an interesting study into what exactly resonated with people about Rorschach in the first place, if it was just the surface level 'rule of cool' poo poo or if the actual morality system was what drew people in.

This is all apropos of nothing and meaningless internet spitballing but what else is TVIV for. It'd be an interesting consideration if the characters were written with that in mind.

It's all part of Ozymandias' secret plot, he's going to push them into the Dr. Manhattan reactor so they fuse, thereby resurrecting Rorschach.

"I've missed you old friend. Welcome back."

"Thanks. Great to be back. Hurmm."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Taking black and white symbolism in the wrong direction I see.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Necrothatcher posted:

I mean, you could easily restart such an effort and get a lot of clicks on a site if you were so inclined.

I feel like those text pages must exists with the right searches, at least on archive.org. Best I can find at the moment: http://www.readingwatchmen.com/2012/01/chapter-i-complete-annotations.html

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 30, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Agent355 posted:

Internet conspiracy theory;

It's a pretty well known fact that Moore never liked how many people LOVED Rorschach. He's meant to be this flawed character who shows how hosed up black and white thinking is, but people are just unironically 100% supporters of him anyway.

I can see why people like Rorschach. He's a badass indisputably, and as some have pointed out in this thread, he was so steadfast in his beliefs (as hosed up as they were - and they were) he was willing to die for them. But what a lot of people overlook as to why a lot of people like him is that he's the first character, and so people latch onto him as a point of reference. That's both on the first read - besides the bumbling detectives, you first see Rorschach grappling his way into Blake's apartment - and on subsequent reads. The first panel that has any humans in it, one of the two is Kovacs holding is sign. The other is a rando washing blood off the sidewalk.

I really think this early establishment as a point of reference has a lot to do with people sympathizing with Kovacs/Rorschach and his batshit insane worldview.

Aside from that, I just have a hard time taking Moore seriously as far as not being happy with people liking Rorschach when: he just made the dude such an unrealistic badass. Rorschach is a bad person but Moore made him so badass he can operate with no income for a decade while on the run and killing criminals because....reasons?

Ultimately I'd say I agree with Moore that people are dumb for liking Rorschach, but I also would say Moore is dumb for the way he wrote Rorschach.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nail Rat posted:

Aside from that, I just have a hard time taking Moore seriously as far as not being happy with people liking Rorschach when: he just made the dude such an unrealistic badass. Rorschach is a bad person but Moore made him so badass he can operate with no income for a decade while on the run and killing criminals because....reasons?

Really? I thought the intention was that he was as gross as pathetic as it was possible to be, and everything else was a paper thin facade of cool.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Dave posted:

As someone that dives right into spoilers all the time: if you’ve seen or read what happens in the next four episodes, maybe sit this thread out. No one appreciates your input.
but how will i be able to impress people with my Big Shot Insider info?

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Enjoying the show so far, thought the pilot had some iffy bits but the the 2nd episode really nails it.

I disagree with the common thread in here, it seems, that Jed was/is part of the 7th Calvary. Just seems too on the nose. We're definitely supposed to make the connection that the white robe in his closet is his father's (that we see in the old timey photo at the end of ep1, with the same star I'd bet). This show is obviously dealing in some heavy generational stuff- the things we leave behind and the things we hold onto, even if they don't align with us now. Also don't think it makes much sense that it was HIM that invaded Angela's house on the White Night. Too much that could have gone wrong if he's there with another shooter, and if her husband saved her, then that's a hard bluff to pull off.

I was also going to say the scenes of him leaving his house don't match up if he is 7th Calvary, but in thinking about it right now, I guess that actually does imply that there is some other vigilante group (Will's friends) out there and and that we haven't seen yet. Still, they could be going after Jed based on perceived allegiance or entirely as a mistake ("well his dad was KKK he probably is too! Kill em all I say!").

I love everything they're doing with Veidt right now and can't wait to see where it goes. The play was so funny. "Would you like to be the new Mr. Philips?" What does everyone think he needs the burned bodies for?

edit edit: we're going to look back on this show in 10 years and say it predicted Trumpvilles.

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 30, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, you could easily restart such an effort and get a lot of clicks on a site if you were so inclined.

I feel like those text pages must exists with the right searches, at least on archive.org. Best I can find at the moment: http://www.readingwatchmen.com/2012/01/chapter-i-complete-annotations.html

Its called The Annotated Watchmen. It was included in the Watchmen torrent I and probably everyone else downloaded when I was 15, alongside the Sam Hamm script draft.

I looked it up when I reread recently too 😁

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just realised that when the police chant "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" in ep1 they're all sat facing one another, which answers the question.

Cool touch.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 30, 2019

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I was about to post a crack theory about multiple Hooded Justices as the TV guy was white.

Then I realized they were probably just whitewashing Will.

I will say I do like how the show blends the most idiotic parts of both political sides into one hosed up whole.

I hope it turns out that he's wearing a white mask under the klan hood

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://comicbook.com/dc/amp/2019/10/29/watchmen-jeremy-irons-ozymandias-doctor-manhattan-theory/

Still doesn't overcome how into his own quotes and own story he was in ep 2, but the skin thing stlli has a pin of interest stuck in it

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Its called The Annotated Watchmen. It was included in the Watchmen torrent I and probably everyone else downloaded when I was 15, alongside the Sam Hamm script draft.

I looked it up when I reread recently too 😁

Yeah, that's the one! Thanks for everyone that tracked it down. :)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Why the gently caress would I care about the difference between a communist and a nazi, both dead ideologies when capitalism was doing so well for me ?

are you the comedian? you're supposed to be dead

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 30, 2019

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

this post owns

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I can assume that in the 30 years since the Squid attack, relations between the USSR and USA have warmed up and immigration is possible between the two. That's why Red Scare is a cop in Tulsa.

At the end of the comic book they talk about job swap programs to help relations. Somewhere in Russia is some hillbilly in a cowboy hat working for the police.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I do think the character is Veidt, but I think the twist is going to be where he is. I don't think he could have built up a country Manor in what appears to be Western Europe and gathered the resources to clone servants and continue doing mad science in a world that is very motivated to find him. I think he is probably either imprisoned by Dr. Manhattan to keep him from meddling any further, or he decided if Osterman could reassemble himself, so can he and went into the intrinsic field chamber. The whole Manor sequence could be an abstraction of his attempts to become a Dr. Manhattan-like Superman.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gangringo posted:

The whole Manor sequence could be an abstraction of his attempts to become a Dr. Manhattan-like Superman.

This I like. The world we're seeing being Veidt's out-of-time fantasy where he's attempting to put himself back together like Manhattan did would be rad as hell.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I watched the first two episodes twice, rewatching helps a lot to piece together everything that's going on. Show is pretty awesome.

My speculation:

Jeremy Irons is indeed Veidt and grandpa Will did actually kill Captain Judd. They seem like they might be misdirection but aren't, there's just enough weirdness and mystery to make you question if Dr. Manhattan has taken the form of Veidt or whatever.

I don't think I saw it mentioned in the thread so far, but Will is the old guy in front of the bakery that asks Angela "do you think I could lift 200 pounds?" which is foreshadowing that he actually did lynch Judd, though probably with help from his "friends in high places."

Judd might be 7th Kavalry, but what's certain is he's a descendant of one of the Klan cops that participated in the Tulsa massacre.

Given the WWI German propaganda that Will has, I think he might be a member of some black/minority vigilante group, and he could have lynched Judd as sort of a generational revenge since that seems to be a theme.

This definitely isn't going to be a cops vs. Kavalry show, there's at least one other faction represented by Will. I expect he'll try and recruit Angela.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I deeply appreciate that Rorshach, chronically misunderstood as the protagonist, is continuing to be misunderstood in this universe. But honestly, the Kalvalry doesn't even misinterpret him THAT much though. It's not surprising the character from the original with randian and fascistic tendencies is idolized by white supremecists.

I reaaaally want to know who the heck has a giant magnet on a Nite-owl-esque ship though. My theory: considering that in the pilot the police had a Nite Owl-y ship, Im guessing some faction of the police are working with will. Some vigilante faction??

Also wtf with the tomato tree lmao

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Pellisworth posted:

I don't think I saw it mentioned in the thread so far, but Will is the old guy in front of the bakery that asks Angela "do you think I could lift 200 pounds?" which is foreshadowing that he actually did lynch Judd, though probably with help from his "friends in high places."

Did that really not get mentioned yet? Because I thought that was super obvious. They spent a lot of time focusing on some old dude in a wheelchair for no reason (at the time).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also wtf with the tomato tree lmao

That was one of the things that made me think yeah that's actually Veidt and not Dr. Manhattan. Bio-engineering a tomato tree is a very Ozy thing to do.

Nail Rat posted:

Did that really not get mentioned yet? Because I thought that was super obvious. They spent a lot of time focusing on some old dude in a wheelchair for no reason (at the time).

It's a brief interaction in front of the bakery but it really stands out on a rewatch.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I think nobody mentioned it precisely because it was so obvious. like it wasn't meant to be subtle or anything

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

of course goon faceblindness is very real so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people just didn't realize it was the same person

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
oh also, Jeremy Irons calls his horse Bucephalus, which is the name of Alexander the Great's horse

if it's Dr. Manhattan looking like Veidt then, well, he's trying really hard to emulate Ozy's particular obsessions

What I think makes most sense is it's Veidt trying to create his own Dr. Manhattan. He's made clones that are clearly somehow programmed to be totally obedient to him and he has them rehearsing the incident where Dr. Manhattan was created. If he can train them to closely replicate the incident maybe he can make a new Manhattan. He's a weird crazy old man.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Here’s a can of worms for the thread: how do y’all pronounce Veidt? The way I say it it rhymes with “white” but I just watched a video where the guy kept saying “Veet”

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i just hope they're not setting up a chronological twist. can't remember if there's anything indicating when irons is

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Considering Lori is in the show, I wouldnt be surprised if it was Dan rescuing Will at the end of the episode and we will get a surprise cameo/appearance by an aged Nite Owl II himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Here’s a can of worms for the thread: how do y’all pronounce Veidt? The way I say it it rhymes with “white” but I just watched a video where the guy kept saying “Veet”

His parents were German immigrants, and the German pronunciation would be "fight" which would make your first example more correct.

But then again a lot of immigrants Anglicize their names so who knows.