Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm looking up Theros lore since I wasn't playing at the time and it seems pretty cool, Elspeth rules

This is your annual reminder that Elspeth isn't from Theros, or Bant!

Elsepth hails from Parts Unknown!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Would changing Oko's +1 to only last until end of turn be something within the scope of errata or is it still too much of a rules change for errata? I mean obviously they should still ban it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Printing/editing errors and Ajanis pridemate aside, all errata is out of scope.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Eej posted:

Would changing Oko's +1 to only last until end of turn be something within the scope of errata or is it still too much of a rules change for errata? I mean obviously they should still ban it.

I'm pretty sure if they basically need to balance patch a card to make it valid, they'd probably ban it instead.

This isn't adding time counters to an artifact so people can't take infinite turns, this is fundamentally changing how a card works, and a card that's in currently selling packs. It's a lot easier to explain to a 12 year old that they can't use that card anymore, rather than explain that actually the card has been changed to something completely different now.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Toshimo posted:

Well, it happened the first time in Time Spiral, so probably in Return to Time Spiral next summer.

Wasn't Modern Horizons already Return to Time Spiral

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Toshimo posted:

This is your annual reminder that Elspeth isn't from Theros, or Bant!

Elsepth hails from Parts Unknown!

All we know is Phyrexians hosed up her plane. Thaaat's it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

that elspeth has no + abilities, so her ability to reset her loyalty is basically "die, then exile 4 cards" right? or am i just going blind?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

evilweasel posted:

that elspeth has no + abilities, so her ability to reset her loyalty is basically "die, then exile 4 cards" right? or am i just going blind?

Yes, that's why she's got a -1, -2, and -3, if her owner wants her to die they can almost always force the issue on their turn.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Count Bleck posted:

All we know is Phyrexians hosed up her plane. Thaaat's it.

Mirrodin confirmed, you heard it here first.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I may watch this tourney now.

https://twitter.com/StarCityGames/status/1189571694488412160

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Trying to make Oko ‘work’ is a losing strategy from every angle.

I am struggling to come up with a more direct “gently caress you, WotC” in recent memory and I’m coming up blank

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 30, 2019

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Cynic Jester posted:

Mirrodin confirmed, you heard it here first.

I don't think there were ever humans on Mirrodin, so I don't think she comes from there. She was there with Koth, Venser, and Karn when the plane was getting Compleated, though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Has SCG or a similar player of size ever come out and said 'Standards hosed' before? This seems unusually direct to me.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Retromancer posted:

I don't think there were ever humans on Mirrodin, so I don't think she comes from there. She was there with Koth, Venser, and Karn when the plane was getting Compleated, though.

Time travelling genetic experiment by Phyrexia confirmed.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I know SCG isn't Wizards, but lol that Wizards would let things get to a point where their biggest TO cancels an entire format rather than ban their money mythic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Scg does the simple things really well.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

SCG has shifted to Modern before when Standard wasn't super, haven't they?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Pioneer also has a truly epic level of buzz going on right now. People are extremely excited about it and major streamers are picking up on it in a big way so this isn’t completely out of left field. Icould even see this even being potentially something they had already talked about before those last mythic qualifier deck lists started in surface

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ItBreathes posted:

Has SCG or a similar player of size ever come out and said 'Standards hosed' before? This seems unusually direct to me.

There was the kaladesh period I want to say, with all the bannings, where they switched to like 80% modern 29% team for a long while.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bust Rodd posted:

Pioneer also has a truly epic level of buzz going on right now. People are extremely excited about it and major streamers are picking up on it in a big way so this isn’t completely out of left field. Icould even see this even being potentially something they had already talked about before those last mythic qualifier deck lists started in surface

Pioneer is going to kill Arena lol

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Retromancer posted:

Koth is human and he is from Mirrodin. All life native to Mirrodin has metal as a part of their biology.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Retromancer posted:

There's lots of humans on mirrodin, a tribe of each color (Vulshok, Auriok, Sylvok, Moriok and Neurok, and also a fair bit of the least appealing art Magic cards have had in the original block.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

odiv posted:

SCG has shifted to Modern before when Standard wasn't super, haven't they?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

There was the kaladesh period I want to say, with all the bannings, where they switched to like 80% modern 29% team for a long while.

this is a little different though, they significantly cut down on standard opens because not enough people would show up, the invitational is mostly grinders who are going to buy into standard no matter how much it sucks though. this is solely to boost viewer numbers and (probably more importantly) showcase a format that is more conducive to sales

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Commander announcement

https://twitter.com/commandcast/status/1189588313566404608?s=21

TLDR:
7 total commander decks next year 5 with Ikoria and 2 more with Zendikar. The decks will be tied into the themes of the standard sets they release with.

Commander Legends is a draft set with 20 card boosters and contains new 70 legends.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 30, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tainen posted:

Commander announcement

TLDR:
7 total commander decks next year 5 with Ikoria and 2 more with Zendikar. The decks will be tied into the themes of the standard sets they release with.

Commander Legends is a draft set with 20 card boosters and contains 70 legends.

Commander masters!

I hate it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Commander masters!

I hate it.

Lol same

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Sickening posted:

Commander masters!

I hate it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tainen posted:

Commander announcement

TLDR:

Commander Legends is a draft set with 20 card boosters and contains new 70 legends.

Prediction time, how many cards are going to break eternal formats

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Can't wait to see how this set fucks up edh like mh1 hosed up modern

Zhumma
Aug 5, 2006
title text
Oh boy more overpriced supplementary poo poo, just keep pouring it down my throat wotc.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

little munchkin posted:

this is a little different though, they significantly cut down on standard opens because not enough people would show up, the invitational is mostly grinders who are going to buy into standard no matter how much it sucks though. this is solely to boost viewer numbers and (probably more importantly) showcase a format that is more conducive to sales

It’s a good move on their part to get a lot of eyes on their stream - it’ll be the first high stakes pioneer tournament with a lot of players plus actual video coverage and a lot of people will be tuning in to see what is going on in the format. Hopefully WOTC doesn’t adjust the ban list right before the tournament, heh.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Theros: Beyond Spoilers

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Warbriar Blessing lets you have two of your opponent's creatures fight right? That's kinda cool.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Warbriar Blessing lets you have two of your opponent's creatures fight right? That's kinda cool.

Enchant creature you control.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Huxley posted:

Enchant creature you control.

Yup totally missed that line even though I was specifically looking for it.

Thanks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Yup totally missed that line even though I was specifically looking for it.

Thanks.

I didn't read it that way at first either, you asking made me double check in the first place.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Nice to see that devotion is actually returning.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tainen posted:

Commander announcement

TLDR:

Commander legends is also releasing with two supplementary commander pre-cons like Zendikar Rising, so 9 Precons total. The 4 smaller Precons contain fewer new cards and more reprints.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

someone’s getting fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

Theros: Beyond Spoilers

any word on how these got out? looks like this is a separate source from the earlier one