Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

This thread is for little things, not thicc things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/DAIROCKETTO/status/1189229772251025415

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dr Snofeld posted:

I think Parvati might be my favourite thing about Outer Worlds.

I've done a fair amount of her quest. Shes the first character I've seen in a game that is an asexual but deeply romantic person.
I love this drat game

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Haven't played Outer Wilds yet, because I don't want to use the Epic launcher for anything apart from The Outer Worlds, but I will get the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPi25G4FonY

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Oct 30, 2019

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Haven't played Outer Wilds yet, because I don't want to use the Epic launcher for anything apart from The Outer Worlds, but I will get the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPi25G4FonY

You can get a month of the Xbox game pass for like a buck and play it without involving epic at all.

Edit: this is Outer Wilds not Worlds I apparently cannot read.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Push El Burrito posted:

You can get a month of the Xbox game pass for like a buck and play it without involving epic at all.

But they did get Outer Worlds on the epic launcher so youre not totally off.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Push El Burrito posted:

Both games are on Game Pass so you're not wrong :eng101:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They already dipped in, no reason to not get the superior OW as well

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Pi1fljNyY

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Petit Gregory posted:

Both games are on Game Pass so you're not wrong :eng101:
outer wilds is on the console game pass but not the PC one, which is deeply confusing and very frustrating

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been messing around with an old Transformers DS game, Transformers: Autobots, and it's got some interesting aspects. You play as an original character, so because you aren't an established one, there isn't any branding to worry about, like if you'd played as Bumblebee you would be stuck as the yellow car form. Because you are an OC you can actually take multiple vehicle forms, any car that you can scan you can turn into, and it's not limited to road vehicles - the mission I'm onto (and having trouble with) I get to turn into a helicopter. You can also switch between forms whenever unless you are doing a mission that needs a specific form.

Also it has some funny incidental dialog, like when being chased by Police in Robot form they have a line "Dispatch, we have a... uh... what's the code for 'Giant Robot'?" :3:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been messing around with an old Transformers DS game, Transformers: Autobots, and it's got some interesting aspects. You play as an original character, so because you aren't an established one, there isn't any branding to worry about, like if you'd played as Bumblebee you would be stuck as the yellow car form. Because you are an OC you can actually take multiple vehicle forms, any car that you can scan you can turn into, and it's not limited to road vehicles - the mission I'm onto (and having trouble with) I get to turn into a helicopter. You can also switch between forms whenever unless you are doing a mission that needs a specific form.

Also it has some funny incidental dialog, like when being chased by Police in Robot form they have a line "Dispatch, we have a... uh... what's the code for 'Giant Robot'?" :3:

You’ve played the fall of/war for cybertron games, right? I feel like they’d be right up your alley, those games ruled.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll need to find those online on Amazon, but I'll get around to them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You’ve played the fall of/war for cybertron games, right? I feel like they’d be right up your alley, those games ruled.

Transformers on the PS2 is also apparently well worth a play.

I actually found a copy a while ago and need to play it myself :cripes:.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Transformers on the PS2 is also apparently well worth a play.

I actually found a copy a while ago and need to play it myself :cripes:.

I got stuck on that one on the mission where Megatron is thawing and you need to destroy some things but you are constantly being beset by little robots who send you absolutely flying which wastes so much time and you have about 2 minutes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Platinum one is really good too (Devastation?) if you can get a hold of it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BTW get hyped because my brother got me £40 worth of PSN credit for my birthday and I have a bunch of cheap games that look cool that i'm going to play, so look forward to more of that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll need to find those online on Amazon, but I'll get around to them.

Yeah, unfortunately they got pulled from the Steam store a couple years ago, but you can still download them if you have/buy a key. That or just get the PS3/360 hard copies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice as the first game I got with my brother's gift cards, and I'm enjoying how heavy the combat feels. Certainly it feels slow, but most hits also feel very satisfying, although I'll need to learn how to deal with the guys with shields now that they have started appearing (Just did the trial of Val Raven, onto the Trial of Surtr)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice as the first game I got with my brother's gift cards, and I'm enjoying how heavy the combat feels. Certainly it feels slow, but most hits also feel very satisfying, although I'll need to learn how to deal with the guys with shields now that they have started appearing (Just did the trial of Val Raven, onto the Trial of Surtr)

Senua's melee acts as a shield break. You can also use her melee attack to extend the length of all your normal combos.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
To be clear, there is a dedicated guard break button separate from light and heavy attack, it should be the same as interact.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Senua's melee acts as a shield break. You can also use her melee attack to extend the length of all your normal combos.

Uhhh.. she uses a sword, all her attacks are melee attacks. Which attack do you mean, the counter that you can do when you press block as an attack connects, or the triangle attack that does a heavy hit, or another one that I don't know about?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BioEnchanted posted:

I hope you are wearing headphones. Almost required, to be honest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BioEnchanted posted:

Uhhh.. she uses a sword, all her attacks are melee attacks. Which attack do you mean, the counter that you can do when you press block as an attack connects, or the triangle attack that does a heavy hit, or another one that I don't know about?

Senua has three attack buttons: Light (square) Heavy (triangle) and Melee (circle). Melee acts as a guard break against the shielded dudes and also extends the length of any of her normal strings when used as the final input. So if you do L L L M instead of L L L L you'll extend the combo to press some more buttons instead of finishing her regular attack. She also gets different moves depending on if you're running or parried the last enemy attack. In each case, the circle button will guard break.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I didn't know the circle was a thing, thanks. Also I'm not using headphones for two reasons - I'm very squeamish about horror stuff so with headphones it would be too much for me atmosphere-wise, and also I don't have PS4 compatible headphones.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Since Outer Worlds is by the New Vegas devs, having a low intelligence gives you [Dumb] options in some conversations. But, unlike other games where you basically are inexplicably a caveman with particular dialogue, in Outer Worlds, the options reflect a character who can't understand such complex concepts as 'metaphors' and 'homonym', but can still complete full sentences. Like, someone tells you that once she was conceived as a child, her mother had to give her up. And a dumb option for this is basically 'Wait, so your mother simply thinks about having a child and has to give it up? How does that even work?'.

Or, my favourite so far (posted in another thread):

Guy who isn't quite all there: "The automechanicals are coming to wipe us all out and start a robot apocalypse!"
Response: "[Dumb] Well, gently caress me."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Morpheus posted:

I hope you are wearing headphones. Almost required, to be honest.

I need to pick that up again, can confirm that it loses a lot playing without headphones, especially if you keep the sound low so as not to disturb other folks. I have a viable headphone setup now, so quiet/atmospheric games are much more enjoyable.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Morpheus posted:

Guy who isn't quite all there: "The automechanicals are coming to wipe us all out and start a robot apocalypse!"
Response: "[Dumb] Well, gently caress me."

Okay, yeah, my next character is definitely going to be Big Dumb Bootlicker.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The game's audio mix is designed entirely for headphones, without a lot of the background chatter will sound strange and some of it may be almost inaudible. It's really a game made to lose yourself in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I can hear it fine, but again I feel that given my weak constitution for horror stuff I'd be enjoying the game a lot less with headphones due to that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got The Surge for cheap and can't keep playing Dark Souls 3 all day.

In the opening scene we are introduced to the world via a tram intro like in Half-Life. Ethan is sitting down but there is a wall blocking our view of everything below his shoulders. As the train stops and you get control, you move forward and see that he's in a wheelchair. They never mention it and the guards you can talk to don't put a spotlight on it.
What's more, even though this section is only a couple minutes long, they put in a lot of work to make the chair animations genuine. When you turn, Ethan will lift one of his hand to allow the turn to happen. If you go down the one ramp and don't touch the controls, he will fold his hands into his lap and enjoy the breeze.

They you get your frame installed and OH GOD OH GOD.

I hope the sequel is as good if not better. Not sure why this game got panned at first. It's great.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I didn't know the circle was a thing, thanks. Also I'm not using headphones for two reasons - I'm very squeamish about horror stuff so with headphones it would be too much for me atmosphere-wise, and also I don't have PS4 compatible headphones.

You have to use headphones, they designed the audio very tightly with the design of the game.

Honestly the audio and trickery they used was one of the best things about that game. Close second to Senua's performance. The combat gets pretty repetitive but the rest of the game is an experience.

Edit: you can also use literally any headphones on the ps4

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Playing MLB The Show and my dude is a third baseman. Whenever there’s a play to me the third base calls out where the play should be (if I need to throw it to second he’ll go “two! two!”). The audio comes through my controller though, which is only the second game I’ve seen really use the controller’s audio.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I got The Surge for cheap and can't keep playing Dark Souls 3 all day.

In the opening scene we are introduced to the world via a tram intro like in Half-Life. Ethan is sitting down but there is a wall blocking our view of everything below his shoulders. As the train stops and you get control, you move forward and see that he's in a wheelchair. They never mention it and the guards you can talk to don't put a spotlight on it.
What's more, even though this section is only a couple minutes long, they put in a lot of work to make the chair animations genuine. When you turn, Ethan will lift one of his hand to allow the turn to happen. If you go down the one ramp and don't touch the controls, he will fold his hands into his lap and enjoy the breeze.

They you get your frame installed and OH GOD OH GOD.

I hope the sequel is as good if not better. Not sure why this game got panned at first. It's great.

I replayed the game recently for the platinum, and that intro is one of my favourites, because, yeah, it's sort of a surprise to the player, but no attention is drawn to it as the camera just shifts enough to show that you're in one.

Also there's a unique idle animation where he sort of checks the wheels, rolling around back and forth a couple inches. Possible to literally never see this.

If you get the Walk in the Park DLC, you get a bit of backstory on why he wanted to join CREO and when he made his choice: he went to a CREO World presentation and was enamored by the fact that he'd be able to walk again using the rigs. He wanted to be a lumberjack. His girlfriend was not happy with this choice at first, but the final log you find with her shows that she realizes that it's important to him, just like an Ironmaus shirt that he wanted to get. She gets the shirt for him - it's the one he's wearing at the beginning of the game (and you can see it under the jumpsuit he wears for the rest of the game, too)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I can hear it fine, but again I feel that given my weak constitution for horror stuff I'd be enjoying the game a lot less with headphones due to that.

Honestly, I'm a wimp when it comes to horror stuff but I still heartily recommend them. Hearing the voices through speakers is one thing, but the game uses binaural audio to amazing effect, and hearing the voices bounce around you like they're right over both of your shoulders is fantastic. Also, apparently it's very accurate to what the disorder is like.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Joey Freshwater posted:

Playing MLB The Show and my dude is a third baseman. Whenever there’s a play to me the third base calls out where the play should be (if I need to throw it to second he’ll go “two! two!”). The audio comes through my controller though, which is only the second game I’ve seen really use the controller’s audio.

I got surprised with this when I started playing Evil Within 2 the other day, I get a mild spoop every time I step outside and pick up a new audio signal to track down, because somebody decided it'd be fun to give it an audible alert on the controller. Will I ever overcome my laziness and figure out how to turn it off? :iiam:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Honestly, I'm a wimp when it comes to horror stuff but I still heartily recommend them. Hearing the voices through speakers is one thing, but the game uses binaural audio to amazing effect, and hearing the voices bounce around you like they're right over both of your shoulders is fantastic. Also, apparently it's very accurate to what the disorder is like.

I was very glad that I used some high end headphones for this game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Also I found out that, on the PS4, if one person is playing with headphones, another can turn on a second controler, plug headphones into the jack on it, and hear the same thing. My gf and I played through the game like this.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Also I found out that, on the PS4, if one person is playing with headphones, another can turn on a second controler, plug headphones into the jack on it, and hear the same thing. My gf and I played through the game like this.

Didn't even occur to me that that'd work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll try the next leg of the game with Headphones, but if I'm right and it proves too much for me, I'll abandon them. I'm not going to sacrifice actually enjoying a game for some nebulous idea of "Playing it right" that I might not enjoy.