Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's a matter of degrees. I support politicians for a variety of reasons. I'm okay if they aren't flagellating themselves in the street every single day over those issues because they have other things to talk about, things that might not involve me.

Why do you keep trying to frame criticism as being made in an unreasonable way, when we're talking about people who might criticize politicians for votes they took that negatively impacted them? Sex workers are a good example, because the current crop of Democratic candidates voted for SESTA/FOSTA which is getting people killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

GEEE EEEE EKSDEEE

December 12th, if corbyn wins he has 14 days to ban religious holidays. So folks dont christmas shop as your items will be repatriated upon the 26th to be given to the BABIESFORSTALIN orpahanage

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

This is the dumbest day in American history; followed by every subsequent day.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

King of Solomon posted:

From one Minneapolis resident to another, I'm gonna disagree with this. While Omar's recent present vote is a little dodgy, she's otherwise very consistently strong on foreign policy. If she did run for Senate, I would consider her foreign policy to by and large be a reason to vote for Omar, not a reason to vote against. Or...in other words, given her strength on foreign policy in general, that one vote would absolutely qualify as a bullshit purity test.

Yeah, that was to say that that weird protest vote would even be a consideration for me if she ran for US Senate, not that it'd be disqualifying. I maybe have picked a bad example due to recency bias :ohdear:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This seems timely

https://twitter.com/N1ckSandmann/status/1189533119646437377?s=19

Can we stop rationalizing what a good sweet boi he is now?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 30, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lemming posted:

Why do you keep trying to frame criticism as being made in an unreasonable way, when we're talking about people who might criticize politicians for votes they took that negatively impacted them? Sex workers are a good example, because the current crop of Democratic candidates voted for SESTA/FOSTA which is getting people killed

People on both sides of the argument are talking about different issues being the purity tests than people on the other side

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

This seems timely

https://twitter.com/N1ckSandmann/status/1189533119646437377?s=19

lol, gently caress this kid.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Get over the fact that I appropriated the word "change"

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's a matter of degrees. I support politicians for a variety of reasons. I'm okay if they aren't flagellating themselves in the street every single day over those issues because they have other things to talk about, things that might not involve me.

Well for me there's a difference between critiquing a politician's positions on an issue vs critiquing a politician's silence or apparent lack of focus on an issue.

It's different if a politician is conspicuously silent on an issue that really needs that politician to weigh in. But I don't think you can expect every politician to be aware of every issue, and you need to give them some leeway to become informed of the issue themselves.

In the case of not liking Bernie because he does not focus enough on sex workers, well, I understand that point because it can be frustrating to be confronted with silence when you desire a politician to speak up for you. I think it is something that should be brought up to Bernie's attention and something he should address. But I think deciding that he is going to be useless and that he sucks on the issue before he weighs in is counterproductive. Deciding that a politician will suck because he has not yet weighed in enough will shrink the pool of worthwhile politicians in a person's mind and encourage them to disengage from politics.

Obviously if people are asking Bernie in large numbers to support sex workers and he refuses to speak on it then that is a different situation. If Bernie made a vote that harmed sex workers that's also a completely different situation (did this happen? I'm not aware of it)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

People on both sides of the argument are talking about different issues being the purity tests than people on the other side

That's explicitly the point, "purity test" is broadly just a shorthand for "issue that I don't personally care about as much"

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Sandmann's twitter is somehow worse than I expected it to be.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:stonklol:

https://twitter.com/LACaldwellDC/status/1189608769141071873

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1189400814617542656

https://twitter.com/AlexThomasDC/status/1189559949837373440

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1189419696946339840

https://twitter.com/mannyfidel/status/1189598948174024704

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1189243062352044032

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

That's exactly what Taylor said.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

theflyingorc posted:

It's almost as if "purity test" doesn't mean anything and people just drag it out as a way to end uncomfortable conversations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Paradoxish posted:

It's almost as if "purity test" doesn't mean anything and people just drag it out as a way to end uncomfortable conversations.

Even if it did have a solid definition, I'd argue that the term has been poisoned to the point that busting it out will only piss people off.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

marshmonkey posted:

watermark in the corner, by "staff" I assume you mean which chud meme-factory account.

The picture does have a watermark. Thanks for the lovely photoshop, Daily Wire.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lemming posted:

That's explicitly the point, "purity test" is broadly just a shorthand for "issue that I don't personally care about as much"

Yeah, but I think it's pretty disingenuous to pretend that there's not a slew of people for whom failing any one of 50+ issues means that it's time to throw the baby out with the bathwater - and for a lot of them, it's just about establishing the moral high ground. It can also fail to accept that, occasionally, a politician is effectively forced to choose between two good things. There's a difference between "I really think this person should focus on this issue more" and "They haven't personally made a statement on the HK situation, we need to primary the motherfucker right now they're trash from a trash planet"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Does CrowdStrike even have an office in Ukraine? I can't find jobs listed there on their site and the only listings I see in Europe are in Romania.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ManBoyChef posted:

Dude I fell for it too. As soon as I saw who he chose for his cabinet I knew I had made a horrible mistake.

This isn't really directed at you, but it will never not be frustrating how much poo poo I've taken over the last 20+ years from people who are always so sure they know what's best and they turn out wrong over and over again. Kudos for admitting it. But I'd like to convey there is a lot of bitterness with people who have been saying "No, don't do that!" to people who were so sure they were right and then want to gloss over how wrong they've been. Especially when the narrative becomes "Well, EVERYONE fell for it, no one knew!" A lot of people knew. We were just mocked and called idiots. Whether it was that Bush would be a bad president, or that Gore shouldn't have tapped out for the "good of the country, or the Iraq invasion was a terrible idea, or Obama was a fraud, and now with climate change, and a thousand other things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Munkeymon posted:

Does CrowdStrike even have an office in Ukraine? I can't find jobs listed there on their site and the only listings I see in Europe are in Romania.

its also brainworm bullshit that putin/etc told him.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, but I think it's pretty disingenuous to pretend that there's not a slew of people for whom failing any one of 50+ issues means that it's time to throw the baby out with the bathwater - and for a lot of them, it's just about establishing the moral high ground. It can also fail to accept that, occasionally, a politician is effectively forced to choose between two good things. There's a difference between "I really think this person should focus on this issue more" and "They haven't personally made a statement on the HK situation, we need to primary the motherfucker right now they're trash from a trash planet"

Yeah and dismissing legitimate criticism or shutting down discussion on a topic by just throwing out the term "purity test" isn't productive at all and just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat. There's obviously nuance and room for legitimate disagreement, but "purity test" is not a particularly useful phrase for anything.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

1glitch0 posted:

This isn't really directed at you, but it will never not be frustrating how much poo poo I've taken over the last 20+ years from people who are always so sure they know what's best and they turn out wrong over and over again. Kudos for admitting it. But I'd like to convey there is a lot of bitterness with people who have been saying "No, don't do that!" to people who were so sure they were right and then want to gloss over how wrong they've been. Especially when the narrative becomes "Well, EVERYONE fell for it, no one knew!" A lot of people knew. We were just mocked and called idiots. Whether it was that Bush would be a bad president, or that Gore shouldn't have tapped out for the "good of the country, or the Iraq invasion was a terrible idea, or Obama was a fraud, and now with climate change, and a thousand other things.

This is a weird post.

"I've been right about everything, its very hard for me."

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

1glitch0 posted:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

1glitch0 posted:

You claimed the pizza sit in was a huge triumph for Republicans about 20 minutes before they all gave up and went home and the deposition continued as normal

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Munkeymon posted:

No; it's a total conspiracy theory that Giuliani was pushing State to investigate (and he was 'investigating' on Trump's behalf) because boomer's brains are clogged with plaque and lead.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Being a war criminal is basically part and parcel of being president. There are degrees to these sorts of things and democratic presidents have been on the lower end of the spectrum in recent years. Does anyone here think that a President Sanders wouldn't engage in any war crime activity (drone strikes, attempted capture/kills of "enemy combatants" in civilian populated sovereign areas, continued operation of illegal detention centers, etc.) during a full 4 year term?

oh wow good point, mass murder is fine then

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemming posted:

Yeah note how the demand "hey stop killing us" is turned into "hey flagellate yourself in the street every day for the rest of your life", magically turning the concerns of vulnerable people into some unreasonable unproductive burden.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

theflyingorc posted:

Real people are almost always way more nuanced than this. Do people exist who will turn on a political figure for the slightest mistake? Yeah, probably, but aren't particularly common. Terms like "purity test" are shotgun blasts in the general direction of a political wing, and that's going to cause people to get pissed off and circle the wagons because this bullshit is always directed at the left.

It's also worth pointing out that a lot of "single issue" leftist positions are literally matters of life and death. Racist cops and climate change are not areas where there's any room for compromise.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/thomascollins92/status/1189562435566485504

:hmmyes:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

How are u posted:

This is a weird post.

"I've been right about everything, its very hard for me."

It's hard when everyone keeps doing everything wrong and then is like, "Welp, no one knew this could possibly go wrong!" it becomes frustrating. I think that is fair. We still have so many people to this day saying that the Iraq invasion happened because everyone lost their mind in the country. Well, no. Many of us didn't. We were just ignored, called unserious, and marginalized. And that way everyone gets their "Get out of Jail Free" card for being a dummy by saying that NO ONE say this coming. It becomes frustrating.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Casey Finnigan posted:

I'd like to say that if you are someone who considers yourself an "ally" to a marginalized group, and your response to getting criticized by members of that group is to get angry at them, or to get incensed that you are not getting any credit for supporting them, or to begin feeling like you are being "purity tested" by them, it would legitimately, truly be better to just stop considering yourself an "ally" and just stop getting politically involved with that group. An "ally" who operates like that is not in it to provide genuine support for marginalized people, they're in it to receive self-gratification - it's just a completely different approach to the issue than the people who actually need support.

This is the misconception that should be clear. Some people are NOT looking for recognition, they are secure in their support, they aren't complaining 'woe is me give me credit' or shitposting about how woke they are. They are simply offended hearing disparaging burns against "ALLIES" that in this thread mostly relate to jerking themselves off in the next breath. Twice.

How about people just don't be assholes and read that Obama quote a few hundred more times. Jeez louise.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I might rule against gay people just because they're gay.

Where the gently caress do they find these loving people in 2019?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hellotoothpaste posted:

This is the misconception that should be clear. Some people are NOT looking for recognition, they are secure in their support, they aren't complaining 'woe is me give me credit' or shitposting about how woke they are. They are simply offended hearing disparaging burns against "ALLIES" that in this thread mostly relate to jerking themselves off in the next breath. Twice.

How about people just don't be assholes and read that Obama quote a few hundred more times. Jeez louise.

obama can eat my balls and gently caress off back to millionaire island

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

1glitch0 posted:

It's hard when everyone keeps doing everything wrong and then is like, "Welp, no one knew this could possibly go wrong!" it becomes frustrating. I think that is fair. We still have so many people to this day saying that the Iraq invasion happened because everyone lost their mind in the country. Well, no. Many of us didn't. We were just ignored, called unserious, and marginalized. And that way everyone gets their "Get out of Jail Free" card for being a dummy by saying that NO ONE say this coming. It becomes frustrating.

Iraq was pretty well known to be a scam, I remember participating in a pretty large-scale demonstration against the invasion back before it happened.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hellotoothpaste posted:

Do you want a medal for being an ally.

Is a ceremony enough, we can throw a parade plz let us know and sorry for all the hurt the LGBT community has caused you

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its also brainworm bullshit that putin/etc told him.

Yes, but I'm wondering if there's anything in the country for an investigation to even look at or, if this insane bullshit hadn't been exposed, would they just make an announcement under duress and ???.

e: nevermind, someone answered

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Paradoxish posted:

Real people are almost always way more nuanced than this. Do people exist who will turn on a political figure for the slightest mistake? Yeah, probably, but aren't particularly common.
I mean - yeah, but in the internet bubble they're pretty common, because saying "X is trash" on your twitter account carries no weight at all.

quote:

Terms like "purity test" are shotgun blasts in the general direction of a political wing, and that's going to cause people to get pissed off and circle the wagons because this bullshit is always directed at the left.
I mean - that's who does it, so of course that's the direction it's headed. The only analogue from the centrist wing of the party are the Howard Schultz types views of "socialists" and they're weak as poo poo and nobody likes them.

quote:

It's also worth pointing out that a lot of "single issue" leftist positions are literally matters of life and death. Racist cops and climate change are not areas where there's any room for compromise.
Everything is life and death in politics, and for the people who work on it, it's a job. There's always going to be tension there.

edit: I probably disagree with Obama on the significance of the issue, truth be told

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

sexpig by night posted:

obama can eat my balls and gently caress off back to millionaire island

Sick burn, herbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me