Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Alright, yeah. This ain't my lane.

Thank you for being both reasonable and empathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Seth says, 'The Firefly Funhouse has been rebuilt, that makes The Fiend more dangerous than ever.' Because he's a carpenter?!" - Bryan "national treasure" Alvarez

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big Huski Boi posted:

"Seth says, 'The Firefly Funhouse has been rebuilt, that makes The Fiend more dangerous than ever.' Because he's a carpenter?!" - Bryan "national treasure" Alvarez

Seth would know, he's the architect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Huski Boi posted:

Can't believe Bryan called Bray Wyatt a good hand.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Can't believe Bryan called Bray Wyatt a good hand.

Agreed, he's being way too kind

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

rovert posted:

I get it totally.

But no one knows if New Japan expansion plans will take off? Most commenters/journalists in Wrestling are very much down on its prospects.

The thing with ACH is that William Regal publicly stated he was a massive fan of him, ACH won the NXT Breakout tournament, wrestled World Champion Adam Cole in a very even on TV and they were building to something between him and Keith Lee either one turning on the other or tag team. They had solid plans for him and he was used well before his absence. If he leaves he might be still leaving money on the table.

trust me, i'm not exactly bullish on its prospects either in the current landscape. they're definitely going through with it though and i think it could succeed on a pre collapse roh type level. plus, bushiroad's probably willing to eat a loss to some extent for the prestige as long as it's not a total money sink.

in his case it's prob a moot point anyway even in the off chance he leaves given tony khan's recent avatar change.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Talking about Wrestling Podcasts for a moment, but man, after enduring Tights and Fights ads across McElroy brothers properties I finally tried to listen to it and man, it was the most insincere, faux-positive, bad company shill thing I've ever heard. It started with them admitting that the hosts all hate wrestling fans (including themselves) and then they spend their entire coverage of AEW comparing it to WWE, in like real weird way including a weird metaphor about AEW as a copycat novel to the bad company that would need to find something to set it apart. Like it was weirdly smug and condescending and yet it also missed real obvious things. Anyone got a counter-point, am I just wrong in my read of it. Anyone else even care.

On a good news side of finding podcasts to kill time while cutting myself on glass and vinyl &c. Pinche Rudo, the Rudocast was a very good listen for a first time listener.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! It's been fun doing the podcast and having done it for about 6 months now I feel like we're starting to find a groove and really having a blast talking wrestling.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

karmicknight posted:

Talking about Wrestling Podcasts for a moment, but man, after enduring Tights and Fights ads across McElroy brothers properties I finally tried to listen to it and man, it was the most insincere, faux-positive, bad company shill thing I've ever heard. It started with them admitting that the hosts all hate wrestling fans (including themselves) and then they spend their entire coverage of AEW comparing it to WWE, in like real weird way including a weird metaphor about AEW as a copycat novel to the bad company that would need to find something to set it apart. Like it was weirdly smug and condescending and yet it also missed real obvious things. Anyone got a counter-point, am I just wrong in my read of it. Anyone else even care.

I listened to their first couple episodes and am surprised they managed to get worse. At first their gimmick was "we recap Raw like on every other show but one of us is A LADY!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT???" I didn't think they could dig down.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pinche Rudo posted:

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! It's been fun doing the podcast and having done it for about 6 months now I feel like we're starting to find a groove and really having a blast talking wrestling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7o5Tvd641Q
LividLIquid
Leonard likes this post!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Defiance Industries posted:

I listened to their first couple episodes and am surprised they managed to get worse. At first their gimmick was "we recap Raw like on every other show but one of us is A LADY!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT???" I didn't think they could dig down.

That was me when I tried listening to the first couple eps too. They all sounded like they got into wrestling a month ago.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1189378867699412992

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I like tights and fights but they're all kinda dumb, I mostly just listen for Open Mike Eagle. Everyone else on the show really didn't get into wrestling until they were adults and their only touchstone is WWE.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Big Huski Boi posted:

I loved this, Bryan is incredible at times.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Badasses throughout history have always known carpentry, Bryan.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I like tights and fights but they're all kinda dumb, I mostly just listen for Open Mike Eagle. Everyone else on the show really didn't get into wrestling until they were adults and their only touchstone is WWE.

Getting into wrestling as an adult is loving weird to me but I have a friend who seems to be doing it. Like they really liked a WWE houseshow they went to???????????????? Within the past month????????? I've agreed to go with them next time WWE is back in town????????

Anyway the ad for that show is actively repellent to me so it's interesting to hear it's about how I imagined it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

Getting into wrestling as an adult is loving weird to me but I have a friend who seems to be doing it. Like they really liked a WWE houseshow they went to???????????????? Within the past month????????? I've agreed to go with them next time WWE is back in town????????

Anyway the ad for that show is actively repellent to me so it's interesting to hear it's about how I imagined it.

I mean if you have to go to a WWE event for whatever reason you might as well go to a house show where the wrestlers are allowed to have fun, be creative and have actual crowd interactions

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Mike Eagle is awesome, and Hal Lublin always makes for a pleasant enough host. Danielle Radford is irritating, though (I cannot abide an adult who says "fwiends") . I hung with their show for about six months, but I ended up souring on it. Most podcasts end up finding their groove after awhile, but they seemed to end up going in the other direction. It started out fun, theirs ended up really being a grind.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 30, 2019

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

durrrrrr

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I bought the subscription to the observer, and I gotta be honest - I really like Jim Valley the most of everybody there. But I think it's because of the angle he takes wrestling (plus his pop culture mind on things)

But I can't help but binge the Retro RAW and Nitro, and it really is the most magical podcast out there. You can hear the "Deep Hurting".

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I kinda want to go back and start listening to the retro shows from late 96 onwards. It seems so long since I heard Bryan say “Retro Raw and Nitro from 19 years ago this week... two very good shows!”

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rick posted:

I got into wrestling as an adult

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I also got into wrestling as an adult but I got into it because I found out wrestling existed outside of WWE.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Don’t bother with the Corey Graves pod

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t even know it was a thing. Gross

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

mkay0 posted:

way ahead of you, pal

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

mkay0 posted:

Don’t bother with Corey Graves

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

mkay0 posted:

darn i had such hi hopes

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I bought the subscription to the observer, and I gotta be honest - I really like Jim Valley the most of everybody there. But I think it's because of the angle he takes wrestling (plus his pop culture mind on things)

But I can't help but binge the Retro RAW and Nitro, and it really is the most magical podcast out there. You can hear the "Deep Hurting".

that's what i miss the most about having a subscription

haven't listened since they were up to mid-99 when bryan didn't think wcw was that bad at that point

mkay0 posted:

if it's wwe-sanctioned of course it's gonna suck

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are the retro nitros gonna become funny bad again before getting cancelled or is it just gonna be sorta bland till the end?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Incessant Excess posted:

Are the retro nitros gonna become funny bad again before getting cancelled or is it just gonna be sorta bland till the end?

I'm personally hoping for some huge apoplexy to ensue once they hit the era of "everyone cutting a backstage promo is looking off-camera at nothing and no-one for no reason"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Incessant Excess posted:

The show gets really boring and bad for a few months, and then around January they will probably start wondering why the show isn't good because they remembered WCW being good at the end.

Then in March the show will be kind of good for a few weeks.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

I kinda want to go back and start listening to the retro shows from late 96 onwards. It seems so long since I heard Bryan say “Retro Raw and Nitro from 19 years ago this week... two very good shows!”

I randomly pulled up a late 1996 retro Nitro review and it was so fun to hear them actually enjoy the show.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here’s a rare treat: Jim Sterling blasting WWE 2K20 and WWE, on the Jim Sterling YouTube channel!

https://youtu.be/-ScQuKXFPs0

Jim Sterling is a delight and I’d listen to a pro wrestling podcast that had him in it.

Edit: It's especially interesting because Sterling is a pro wrestling fan (and a pro wrestler himself now I guess!) but 99 % of his audience probably isn't, so he has to try to explain the weird poo poo going on in WWE to non-fans.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 30, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

extradite THIS! posted:

Here’s a rare treat: Jim Sterling blasting WWE 2K20 and WWE, on the Jim Sterling YouTube channel!

https://youtu.be/-ScQuKXFPs0

Jim Sterling is a delight and I’d listen to a pro wrestling podcast that had him in it.

Edit: It's especially interesting because Sterling is a pro wrestling fan (and a pro wrestler himself now I guess!) but 99 % of his audience probably isn't, so he has to try to explain the weird poo poo going on in WWE to non-fans.

this game is hideous

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Was waiting for Jim to tear into this game so this will be a nice watch after work

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
when did all gaming videos on youtube become "I'm going to talk freeform for ten minutes while barely related gameplay footage plays in the background"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

when did all gaming videos on youtube become "I'm going to talk freeform for ten minutes while barely related gameplay footage plays in the background"

Gaming in the Clinton Years implies that has been forever.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I like Jim's stuff most of the time. I guess the worst complaint I have with him is mostly the same as the other reviewers like YongYea and Angry Joe that mostly repost the same video on the same thing a half dozen times. Like, if I never hear Jim comment on Fallout76 or Anthem again it will be too soon.

It's funny that he just started following Bryan Alvarez due to the Hell in a Cell clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

I like Jim's stuff most of the time. I guess the worst complaint I have with him is mostly the same as the other reviewers like YongYea and Angry Joe that mostly repost the same video on the same thing a half dozen times. Like, if I never hear Jim comment on Fallout76 or Anthem again it will be too soon.

It's funny that he just started following Bryan Alvarez due to the Hell in a Cell clusterfuck.

They're just following the stories as they develop, as is only reasonable. I do get it if it gets annoying, though. If I've heard enough of a topic I'll just skip a video.

Jim also does this better than others because the weekly Jimquisition episode itself is generally (obviously not always) about something else than the current big outrageous story happening.