Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

At least go on IRC to ward off cube fever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Karatela posted:

What the hell is going on that that is even happening? Don't wreck yourself over something so dumb :(

We've got one of two critical machines down since Friday night waiting on parts. I stayed late last night to babysit the night crew to make sure the remaining machine completed a very carefully calculated schedule to keep from falling even far behind and around 1 am a third machine caught fire and I had to put that out and then direct the cleanup and recovery.

At that point it was 4am and we had a quarterly meeting with the owners at 6am and I figured what the hell, no point in going home for an hour so I just got everything set up to run without me for today.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I'm truly impressed at the machinations of my previous boss. She's got higher-ups convinced that she's both a genius and completely overworked, while she avoids doing most actual work by hiding behind policy and excuses.

Most recent story I just heard: where I used to assist people with preparing spreadsheets for mass imports to the system, her policy is to just throw an empty spreadsheet template at people and ask them to fill it in. Never mind that I had created an annotated version of the template with formulas and macros to assist users--she deliberately retooled the basic template to be more difficult to use. All to discourage people from making more work for her. Charming!

I know all this because I got a call from a buddy who's still working there. I reminded her that my old template will still work, so she could use it to produce the data and then just paste it into the dumb one that was sent to her.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Finished moving all my poo poo into a new office. It is larger, I've got more shelves for cords/parts/errata, I was given carte blanche to buy myself a crash bench of my choice, and it has *windows*. I might never turn on the lovely standard florescents in here, ever. The best part, is that I'm now out of the building where some of the laziest, most unpleasant smelling faculty are, and moved to where they will have to email me for help instead of darkening my doorstep... and nostrils.

I acknowledge that a thing like this runs contrary to the spirit of the thread. But, despite the great new digs, it's not offsetting the anxiety I've carried for almost the whole year, with my wife being unemployed and causing my credit reserves to get used up.

I'm contemplating finding weekend work at this point.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Macaroni posted:

I'm truly impressed at the machinations of my previous boss. She's got higher-ups convinced that she's both a genius and completely overworked, while she avoids doing most actual work by hiding behind policy and excuses.

Most recent story I just heard: where I used to assist people with preparing spreadsheets for mass imports to the system, her policy is to just throw an empty spreadsheet template at people and ask them to fill it in. Never mind that I had created an annotated version of the template with formulas and macros to assist users--she deliberately retooled the basic template to be more difficult to use. All to discourage people from making more work for her. Charming!

I know all this because I got a call from a buddy who's still working there. I reminded her that my old template will still work, so she could use it to produce the data and then just paste it into the dumb one that was sent to her.

You're not getting paid by them anymore, why do you care?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Because someone I consider a friend was inconvenienced by it. Shocking.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Bigass Moth posted:

You're not getting paid by them anymore, why do you care?

Because, shockingly, relationships formed at one place of employment do not cease to exist once someone leaves that workplace.

In addition, it is not, in fact, wrong to help a friend even if they work at your former place of employment, especially if that form of help requires very little effort on your part.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Once I stop working at a company the employees that exist in that company might as well not exist anymore. This is totally normal.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sickening posted:

Once I stop working at a company the employees that exist in that company might as well not exist anymore. This is totally normal.

Given that as soon as you step outside the door, you are completely purged from the company, that seems fair.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

^ this guy has no friends

E: I meant Sickening.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

^ this guy has no friends

E: I meant Sickening.

It’s a joke. Calm down.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boss was gone for like 45 minutes talking to one of the ladies in accounting.

They came back here. Bob can you take a look at this?

"This loving website. loving ASAP. What the gently caress."

First he blames the non-standard port. It's somecompany.com/sap:50010

Then the click on a document and nothing pops up. Pop-up blocker is on. hello. one click clears that

So they have what they want and he's still going on about how the site is broken and to not accept the PO because the numbers could be wrong....

Why he doesn't just let the desktop guys take those kind of calls I don't know.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

It’s a joke. Calm down.

Sorry I didn't catch the sarcasm, seriously. I've had a really bad day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry I didn't catch the sarcasm, seriously. I've had a really bad day.

And its a well known fact that boat owners have lots of friends. Most of the time more friends than they actually want or need.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, how else am I going to get the benefits of a boat without having boat money.

Same thing for trucks. You don't have to own a truck, just have a friend that owns a truck.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody in :britain: have a good Aruba supplier they use? I’ve emailed our three regular suppliers who all do Aruba for pricing of Central licenses and none of them have bothered to respond, so they’re dead to me now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I mean, how else am I going to get the benefits of a boat without having boat money.

Same thing for trucks. You don't have to own a truck, just have a friend that owns a truck.
Don't forget about tools. My tool friend moved from walking distance from my apartment to a 45-minute drive.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

It's symbiosis. I help friends with yard work/dump runs on the condition that I can park a lovely old boat in their yard.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I emailed facilities support about the ticket I sent in Friday, stating my phone jack doesn't work, where they were at.

They said they have tried calling me, yesterday and today trying to schedule a time to get into my office.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

5er posted:

I emailed facilities support about the ticket I sent in Friday, stating my phone jack doesn't work, where they were at.

They said they have tried calling me, yesterday and today trying to schedule a time to get into my office.

:thunk:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

5er posted:

I had to fight with my ISP over a fried router once. It just stopped booting up, either due to being completely dead, or due to a broken power adapter.

I called in to get a replacement, as the device was a part of the monthly bill. They requested that we'd set up a time when they try to remotely connect to it to run diagnosis.

After that didn't go anywhere, I went to their closest store and explained the situation. The clerk handed me a router to borrow, and asked me to connect it, and then contact support so they can use that router to test the broken device, that still doesn't turn on.

:shepface:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I have a coworker that can drive me crazy somedays. He old 50s? 2 years seniority. He yells at me and tells me what to do once a week maybe. Its loving annoying. Boss caught him today and told to him to cut it out.

No real HR so no solution there. Should mention we are alone together often by the nature of the job that’s when he does it. Otherwise easy just be near other coworkers who would shut him down.

This guy wants a reaction. I’ve yelled back and he knows how the play the game and turn it around on me.

So I’ve tried ignoring him. But it builds end of the day.

I’m thinking ways to beat him at his game. He never uses foul language or anything. Recording it wouldn’t help.

My idea now is the next time he starts literally call anyone mom friend off work an 1800 any drat thing.

He does this to everyone but he’s the biggest rear end in a top hat in tone to me. I’ll take any suggestions but unless I catch him doing something illegal management isn’t getting involved.

I need to beat him at his own game or think outside the box the phone idea is that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you feel it's appropriate to yell at me this way, I feel it's appropriate to kick you in the balls for doing so. If you agree to this arrangement, continue as before.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

If someone started literally yelling at me at work, I would have a very hard time not laughing in their face.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
“You are not my boss. DON’T tell me what to do, Dad.”

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

It's a less immediately satisfying but I've personally found the most effective way to deal with poo poo like that is to very calmly tell them that their behavior is unacceptable and that you're not going to engage with them until they act like an adult. Depending on how much of a gently caress they are this usually either makes them irate or they reign it in. Yelling back is tempting but it just tells them that that's an acceptable way to behave in a professional environment. If they keep it up I tell them that I'm not willing to be treated that way and then I leave.

I had a boss that would occasionally decide that he wanted to get into a shouting match with someone (anyone) about something (anything) and this was the only approach that worked for me. After I walked out a couple of times he decided it was better to—I assume—find someone else to yell at. Depending on your position and how much they need you that may or may not work for you but, particularly at a small company with no HR, management probably isn't going to intervene unless you make it more work for them to continue to ignore it than it is for them to deal with it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Wallet posted:

I had a boss that would occasionally decide that he wanted to get into a shouting match with someone (anyone) about something (anything) and this was the only approach that worked for me. After I walked out a couple of times he decided it was better to—I assume—find someone else to yell at.
Disengagement is the best answer. The job I loved a couple years ago started to go downhill when the boss--whom I previously considered a very close friend--completely lost her poo poo at me one day. It literally rattled me for about a year because it was so unexpected and hurtful. The next time she tried it I was more prepared, and I said, "You need to tone it down right now, because I won't respond to this kind of communication." It worked! I mean, things were still tense as gently caress until the day I left, but at least I didn't have to sit there for 30 min and get yelled at.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm gonna skip over the big thing that pisses me off, which is migrating my agency's email from a local server into a different domain while maintaining all the permissions and contact information and making sure all the internal apps will work (a technical success, with our new Fearless Leader causing more problems than not) - you know, no now I have to vent about it. This guy is just so out of his depth and inspires zero confidence, and every time we would have a technical meeting between us and HQ he would sit in for two minutes then *something would come up* every loving time. And when we can nail him now and keep him in a meeting he needs someone to clearly tell him "you need to communicate with the Helpdesk as you were the old Helpdesk Supervisor and since the execs really didn't want to hire you to be the IT Director they left that position vacant for months and now they have no direction". He's just so loving useless, and when he decides that he needs to make a decision on something so people know he's the Big Man in IT, his decision is seemingly random and upends what everyone else has been planning for. It's such a shame because I really looked up to the last Director and this new guy has me planning to find a job at HQ within the next year. I just want to finish up this Windows 8 -> Windows 10 upgrade and all the crap attached to it first so I can have that feather in my cap. A coworker left a week or two ago and they won't fill her position until April, which also puts a little pressure on me to stay for the short term.

Whew, I really just wanted to say that it bothers me when people use PowerPoint to make a document.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DropsySufferer posted:

I have a coworker that can drive me crazy somedays. He old 50s? 2 years seniority. He yells at me and tells me what to do once a week maybe. Its loving annoying. Boss caught him today and told to him to cut it out.

No real HR so no solution there. Should mention we are alone together often by the nature of the job that’s when he does it. Otherwise easy just be near other coworkers who would shut him down.

This guy wants a reaction. I’ve yelled back and he knows how the play the game and turn it around on me.

So I’ve tried ignoring him. But it builds end of the day.

I’m thinking ways to beat him at his game. He never uses foul language or anything. Recording it wouldn’t help.

My idea now is the next time he starts literally call anyone mom friend off work an 1800 any drat thing.

He does this to everyone but he’s the biggest rear end in a top hat in tone to me. I’ll take any suggestions but unless I catch him doing something illegal management isn’t getting involved.

I need to beat him at his own game or think outside the box the phone idea is that.

You need to talk to your boss. Don't engage in "games" with this guy because you're unlikely to change his behavior. If he yells at you calmly respond and tell him his behavior is unacceptable, walk directly to your boss if he continues after that. Request some kind of mediation session with your boss if she/he is unwilling to do anything.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sirotan posted:

You need to talk to your boss. Don't engage in "games" with this guy because you're unlikely to change his behavior. If he yells at you calmly respond and tell him his behavior is unacceptable, walk directly to your boss if he continues after that. Request some kind of mediation session with your boss if she/he is unwilling to do anything.

This is sound. Keep your cool.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Have you tried shoving him into a wood chipper? I find this works wonders with getting rid of problem people.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sirotan posted:

This is the sensible answer.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Have you tried shoving him into a wood chipper? I find this works wonders with getting rid of problem people.
But this is the better answer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spin kick that mother fucker in the head

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

spin kick that mother fucker in the head

This.

Or the wood chipper.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Moey posted:

This.

Or the wood chipper.

Spin kick INTO the wood chipper.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
A simple question by a customer lead to "poo poo that pisses you off" inception for me today. The request was: "Hey, can you remove the thousands separators from all Tableau dashboards on the server, Excel can't deal with them".

Layers:

- I didn't build these dashboards, you did.
- Changing the formatting means downloading the dashboard, changing the formatting for each measure, then uploading the thing. Emphasis on "all dashboards". You could just set this when you build the thing.
- Your company pays a bunch of money for Tableau, and a bunch more for us to integrate data etc. so you can work with it in Tableau or via SQL. You download everything to Excel, and even there, you can't deal with it.
- You do sales forecasting in Excel, but apparently can't figure out how to change a field in Excel to a number after you import the CSV crosstab download Tableau offers you.
- You do sales forecasting and analysis in Excel, but you can't figure out how make a pivot table in Excel after you import the other CSV download Tableau offers, which has the data without any formatting.
- You cannot use "find and replace" to change a bunch of commas into literally anything else.
- You want it fixed immediately.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We are installing IP cameras at one of our locations.. We have an employee pulling the wire. They took the long (but easy) path to one camera pull. So one camera ended up being at the end of a 387ft run of CAT5e. Surprisingly it works fine! 100Mbps link, switch shows no errors on the port. It does show higher wattage than all the others. (6.6 vs 4 typical) but I guess that is to be expected.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Love a fibre break!

quote:

Engineers have proved to fault 190 mtrs from node towards customer. This put the fault within a building site which engineers have no access.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I did little basic googling and reading about annoying people. Basically mentally frame it as if they are having personal and emotional issues -Something is wrong with them. Frame it that way mentally. Jack has serious problems at home and emotional problems and can't control himself. That no longer frames them as my equal but makes them a messed up person needing help from somewhere. No longer my equal but a messed up person who can be ignored.

Clever way to think and how I will treat assholes in the future. Give them a chance to be normal humans if they are jerks they get shoved into my = this person has mental issues box.

I should have worked retail when I was younger would have learned these skills long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone have stories about working for Ellucian?