Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I've got them set up for knives and grapnels...I didn't see the point to giving them carbines when I have inceptors that can do the job cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Hmm - the new Chaos starter just being their half of Shadowspear is kinda wonky. I assume it'll be the Shadowspear sprue for Chaos marines that forces half the unit to use chainswords plus a plasma guy and a autocannon guy?

Not that it effects me, I have these models built and painted already but I don't see it as a great start for someone just looking to get into the army. I'm used to weird unit choices for these boxes but this is the first example I can think of that has an inferior sprue in there of a unit that has a better, multipart one.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Trying to compare the various flavours of primaris to 40k smallmarines is missing the point.

They're analogous to the various kinds of legion squads, not chapter ones.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Deified Data posted:

Hmm - the new Chaos starter just being their half of Shadowspear is kinda wonky. I assume it'll be the Shadowspear sprue for Chaos marines that forces half the unit to use chainswords plus a plasma guy and a autocannon guy?

Not that it effects me, I have these models built and painted already but I don't see it as a great start for someone just looking to get into the army. I'm used to weird unit choices for these boxes but this is the first example I can think of that has an inferior sprue in there of a unit that has a better, multipart one.

The Vanguard one is the same thing. :shrug:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Deified Data posted:

It makes sense from a manufacturing/marketing perspective. The Shadowspear monopose models have unique molds; molds are expensive and it doesn't make a lot of sense to make one for something like Shadowspear and then shelve it forever once Shadowspear goes out of production (like Dark Vengeance, insert rant about Dark Vengeance CSM aesthetics taking nine years to show up elsewhere because GW of the time didn't plan the sprues out for separate sales). And because it has a unique mold and they're all monopose, you can fit more stuff in there -- the new Chaos Space Marines plastic multipose kit is three half-sprues, but the CSM half of Shadowspear is a full sprue and two half-sprues (not counting the Master of Possession), which means that for just one half sprue more than can be found in the multipose troop kit, Start Collecting: Chaos Space Marines can fit an additional two Greater Possessed, Obliterators, and a giant spider robot. That looks really good on box art, and for sheer number of units is pretty decent value and saves GW money on plastic... and lets them lock things like the multipose CSMs in their own box so if you want to un-gently caress your Shadowspear CSMs, buy the multipose kit, make them up as half chainswords and half bolters, and then buy the Havocs box for different heavy weapon options but be sure to buy the 32mm bases so you can base your Havocs legally for use as heavy weapon CSM troops instead of Havocs proper. Et cetera. Obviously, they could release multipose Obliterators and Greater Possessed and an arachnotron in multipose versions and put them all in Start Collecting, but that'd be too much plastic for one of those, and they could also release a Start Collecting CSM box with less stuff in it and throw the Shadowspear molds out, but... why do that? Why do that when they can use the Shadowspear molds to sell an exciting boxed set and then re-use them to sell boxes with great perceived value to new collectors while pushing experienced players toward the more expensive multipose kits. (And subtly discouraging experienced players from buying multiple Start Collecting boxes instead of the separate kits, like everybody who looked at Start Collecting Tau back during 7th edition and went "It's got how much stuff in it? I'mma buy three of those!")

They've only been doing Start Collecting boxes for, what, five years now? Pretty much the two years prior to 8th Edition, right? And minis have a five year production pipeline. I would not be at all surprised if the plan was always to eventually move Start Collecting boxes to bespoke monopose plastic for every army that's popular enough to justify releasing a fancy boxed set with bespoke plastic in it. For example, the Primaris Space Marine and Death Guard halves of Dark Imperium will obviously make great Start Collecting Primaris Space Marines and Death Guard boxes once we get a new edition and Dark Imperium can't be the generic 40k starter box anymore, and the leaked photos of the Sisters box indicate it's got... one full sprue and two half-sprues, just like the CSM half of Shadowspear. So this time next year, we'll get Start Collecting: Sisters of Battle, consisting of the plastic contents of this year's expensive Sisters of Battle limited edition box, minus the limited edition codex, cards, etc.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

for what it's worth, the other chaos box has the new (sort-of)multi-pose models (new terminators, new havoks, new csm, old lord, old rhino).

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

fashionly snort posted:

for what it's worth, the other chaos box has the new (sort-of)multi-pose models (new terminators, new havoks, new csm, old lord, old rhino).

I'm not as convinced this is a pattern, but, yeah, something that often happens is the battlebox for a given army is set up to compliment the start collecting box. Like, the original Start Collecting Tyranids and the battlebox for 'em that year had a problem where one of them didn't have enough Synapse and the other had too much, but together they were almost ideal, IIRC. The catch with this is the contents of the battlebox changes from year to year, so while this year's CSM battlebox looks like a good compliment to the SC box, next year's may not be, or CSM may not get a battlebox at all.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Strobe posted:

The new Chaos Start collecting is drat near prefect, gently caress.

is that the one that's 1 chaos lord, 10 CSMs and a dreadnaught or is there a newer one?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

is that the one that's 1 chaos lord, 10 CSMs and a dreadnaught or is there a newer one?

It's this one in this case:

Even if there is also the Warband box.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Stephenls posted:

They've only been doing Start Collecting boxes for, what, five years now? Pretty much the two years prior to 8th Edition, right?

Nah, they've been doing army boxes for a long time, I had many Battleforce boxes from late 4th. They also used to be far better value, this is what you could get for £50 a decade ago:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

whiteshark12 posted:

Nah, they've been doing army boxes for a long time, I had many Battleforce boxes from late 4th. They also used to be far better value, this is what you could get for £50 a decade ago:

I don't mean battleforces, which have always been around, but specifically the Start Collecting!-branded boxes, with that form factor, presented as the place to start for any given army and with the expectation that once an army has a Start Collecting box, then it'll keep having one forever and the contents of it will remain fairly static barring range refreshes.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

whiteshark12 posted:

That’s insane value

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

whiteshark12 posted:

I show that as having been US $145, which was probably more than 50gbp.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

I like look of the warband box, curious to see how much it costs. Granted I have all those units anyway, but not those newer versions.

Garbage as the are, I really want to make some terminators.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Couldn't see in the article, when do the boxes go on sale?

Also the Blood Angels box, those are intercessors at the back right?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That space wolves box seems really random.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
How useful are the Dark Eldar units in the christmas box? I'm currently working on craftworlds, but I eventually want to be able to soup with the other flavors of eldar.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Yeah those old Battleforce boxes were way more than £50. More like £70-90 depending.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Deptfordx posted:

Also the Blood Angels box, those are intercessors at the back right?

Yeah, 10 Intercessors in both the BA and SW boxes. You can tell based on their knee pads.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

whiteshark12 posted:

To be honest though there's no point talking about what prices were like a decade ago as it was cheaper across the board.

When I started collecting my Cadian army they were all metal and very expensive. Then they were £15 for 20 guardsmen, then £18 for 20, then £18 for ten, now its £20 for ten.

Games Workshop seems to have based their pricing models on the UK housing market: the best time to invest was years ago.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I've finally decided to start making a Salamander army. I have an unopened box of infiltrators/incursors. Do either of those synergize well with Salamander stuff or am I better off exchanging for intercessors?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Deptfordx posted:

The article doesn't say, but based on the leaks, the two Start Collecting boxes show up in stores Saturday, November 29th, and the rest of the battleboxes show up a week later on December 7th.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gaussian posted:

I've finally decided to start making a Salamander army. I have an unopened box of infiltrators/incursors. Do either of those synergize well with Salamander stuff or am I better off exchanging for intercessors?

Everyone can enjoy a unit of infiltrators crating a huge no deepstrike zone and your rerolls will make them pretty dangerous thanks to auto wounds on 6. There's not a massive benefit to replacing them so I'd use those dudes and see if the utility works for you.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Hey Salamander buddy.

I'm planning on painting up some Salamanders too. So far I have the Marine half of Shadowspear and Dark Imperium. I'm going to worry about patching holes in the list after those are all done.

I have the Vulkan He'stan model too, and I'm debating if I want some small Marines to tag along with him since no Primaris have flamers or meltas.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cooked Auto posted:

Both of those look decent, the chaos units I really like are terminators (I know they're not very good in 8th), bikers and obliterators. The warband box would probably be more useful because I could convert some of those CSMs to berzerkers and have them ride in the rhino behind the bikers and the set comes with terminators.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Desiden posted:

How useful are the Dark Eldar units in the christmas box? I'm currently working on craftworlds, but I eventually want to be able to soup with the other flavors of eldar.

Very useful. Basically the cream of the crop.

The only bad units are the reavers. And yet honestly a small group of them can still be useful to first turn charge and tie something up in combat.

Warriors
Venoms
Talos

Are 3 of DE’s 4 best units.

Also, one of the DE planes is really good, but I can’t tell which is I’m the box cause I’m mobile posting.

If you bought that package and then 3 venoms you’d be well on your way to a great DE force.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Forge World stock levels in the US must be chronically low. As soon as a storm cannon comes into stock, I get an email, I go to the site and it's out of stock again.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Webway Striking Wraiths owns bones. Ten Wraithguard killed two Redemptors in one shooting phase, and ten Wraithblades took basically the entire brunt of my opponent's shooting phase to not even successfully remove. I love them. :allears:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How much of a dick would I be running three Vindicares against a friend?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

Forge World stock levels in the US must be chronically low. As soon as a storm cannon comes into stock, I get an email, I go to the site and it's out of stock again.

Try clicking through to the item page, the search result will show the old index sometimes after restock until they apparently reindex search the next night.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

So it turns out that, if one is moderately crazy, one can take a rimless normal space marine shoulder pad from e.g. the tactical squad kit and cut scallops out of the corners to make a rimless Phobos shoulder pad.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Is a mold line remover worth it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Try using the back of your scalpel / xacto blade first. If you feel like you want to touch the sharp part, it probably is. Otherwise, just stay with that.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

notaspy posted:

Some people swear by them, others are satisfied with running a blade (with the angle reversed) over the mold lines.

I got one of these:

It works very well but the pointy end is a legitimate hazard.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

The curved edge is great for removing mold lines along a curved surface without flattening it as the back of a knife would.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Very useful. Basically the cream of the crop.

The only bad units are the reavers. And yet honestly a small group of them can still be useful to first turn charge and tie something up in combat.

Warriors
Venoms
Talos

Are 3 of DE’s 4 best units.

Also, one of the DE planes is really good, but I can’t tell which is I’m the box cause I’m mobile posting.

If you bought that package and then 3 venoms you’d be well on your way to a great DE force.

Thanks! I'll see how the pricing shakes out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It's the Razorwing, which is the really good one. Not because the other, the Voidraven, is bad per say, but because the Razorwing is really points efficient and the Voidraven is less so, and because the 'Raven relies on some gimmick gear that's great when it works but are wasted points when they don't.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

jng2058 posted:

It's the Razorwing, which is the really good one. Not because the other, the Voidraven, is bad per say, but because the Razorwing is really points efficient and the Voidraven is less so, and because the 'Raven relies on some gimmick gear that's great when it works but are wasted points when they don't.

Well shucks. Then that’s a really good box deal (on paper).

Guess it comes down to if the savings of the box outweighs the price of the reavers.

If they had less warriors but added a venom, two of the boxes would basically be an ideal way to start an army.

Not sure how the points would round out but

3x plane (air detachment)
3x Talos (spearhead detachment)
Archons and venom-warrior-squad (battalion detachment) Looks pretty tasty.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 31, 2019

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Booley posted:

I show that as having been US $145, which was probably more than 50gbp.

They used to be $90, which in 2008 was ~£47. I assume you've found someone selling it today for that much which is sensible really.

Floppychop posted:

I have the Vulkan He'stan model too, and I'm debating if I want some small Marines to tag along with him since no Primaris have flamers or meltas.

Aggressors can take flamers which are hilarious when paired with He'Stan, their main issue being it's difficult to get them into range. He also buffs their melee attacks which some people don't realise, powerfists that re-roll hits and wounds do a lot of damage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

whiteshark12 posted:

Aggressors can take flamers which are hilarious when paired with He'Stan, their main issue being it's difficult to get them into range. He also buffs their melee attacks which some people don't realise, powerfists that re-roll hits and wounds do a lot of damage!

If only he had crossed the Rubicon Primaris so he could ride in the same vehicle as the big boys.