Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Corne is an excellent split ortho if you are ok with a 3x6 layout. The thumb cluster in particular is well laid out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Exit Strategy posted:

Nope, and welcome to the ortholinear thug life.

Just thought about stabilizers. Would I need those for a 2u space bar?

v1ld posted:

Drop has Preonic kits for sale right now. Pre-soldered with hot swap mounts so you can plug in your own switches. Not cheap at $170, but it does include the olkb keycaps and cases for the price.

https://drop.com/buy/preonic-mechanical-keyboard

I know but I don't want the key caps as I've got MT3 Serika and as a result I don't want the case either. I'd like to get a yellow case that matches the keycaps better. Massdrop does give me the option to order it without case/keycap sets for the price of 85 dollars + shipping. That's roughly the same as ordering directly from OLKB and if that's the case I'd much rather order from them directly instead.

When looking at https://olkb.com/preonic I see they have high profile top plate. Should I order that and will it work with any (preonic compatible) case? I've got no clue on what makes a difference between a high profile and low profile case. There used to be EOTW backplates too but those aren't being offered now. is that what the PCB and top plate are mounted to and it turn that's mounted to the case? How would I go about getting a backplate when getting a 3d printed case?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I have a wasd tenkeyless I really like but after years of eating over it it needs a good cleaning or I need to buy a new one. How would I go about cleaning it?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I'd probably just pop off all the keycaps and use compressed air/a vacuum cleaner to remove all the collected crumbs, dust, etc. For the keycaps, wash and gently scrub in a tub of warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly, dry very thoroughly (maybe even let them sit in paper towels for a few hours to be sure) and then pop the caps back on.

Unplug the keyboard while doing all this too, just in case. If you have stuck-on gunk on your keyboard (not the keycaps), then some isopropyl alcohol and a lot of Q-tips can work. Repeating myself, but make sure every part of the keyboard is completely bone-dry before plugging it back in

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

LochNessMonster posted:

I say might as well go for it, since it's a key you'll be pressing a lot. For comparison, backspace is 2u and almost every keyboard out there use stabs for that.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I'd probably just pop off all the keycaps and use compressed air/a vacuum cleaner to remove all the collected crumbs, dust, etc. For the keycaps, wash and gently scrub in a tub of warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly, dry very thoroughly (maybe even let them sit in paper towels for a few hours to be sure) and then pop the caps back on.

Unplug the keyboard while doing all this too, just in case. If you have stuck-on gunk on your keyboard (not the keycaps), then some isopropyl alcohol and a lot of Q-tips can work. Repeating myself, but make sure every part of the keyboard is completely bone-dry before plugging it back in

God drat that’s so much work. I can’t just throw this mfer in the dishwasher or something?

mewse
May 2, 2006

kiwid posted:

God drat that’s so much work. I can’t just throw this mfer in the dishwasher or something?

That would be an excellent way to get water inside your key switches

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

kiwid posted:

If you think that's too much work you might not be cut out for this hobby, friend

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Just buy a new one then.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I used to dishwash my Model M. Eventually a Margarita killed it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Moey posted:

Just buy a new one then.

That's what real men do: get a new private jet when the current one has its ashtrays full.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you think that's too much work you might not be cut out for this hobby, friend

Yeah I was just about to say, how much effort do you think it takes to disassemble, re-spring and lube a new set of switches for a full size keyboard?
Now how much MORE effort do you think it takes to de-solder all the switches on that keyboard and replace them?

OP needs to just say gently caress it, sell it dirty and buy a new one.

Or hit it with a pressure washer and hope for the best.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

redeyes posted:

I used to dishwash my Model M. Eventually a Margarita killed it.

I had a friend in high school who spilled a soda in her keyboard... I told her to take it apart, wash the plastic, and wipe down everything else and let it dry. Later her mom called to yell at me because she put the whole thing in the sink and said I told her to do it. Still makes me laugh whenever I'm cleaning a keyboard.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

AgentCow007 posted:

I had a friend in high school who spilled a soda in her keyboard... I told her to take it apart, wash the plastic, and wipe down everything else and let it dry. Later her mom called to yell at me because she put the whole thing in the sink and said I told her to do it. Still makes me laugh whenever I'm cleaning a keyboard.

I mean I have tossed Dell rubber domr keyboards in the dishwasher at work and they were just fine.
...just don't leave it on the heated dry cycle. That does bad things.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean I have tossed Dell rubber domr keyboards in the dishwasher at work and they were just fine.
...just don't leave it on the heated dry cycle. That does bad things.

Yeah, rubber domes survive a dishwasher (no heat dry).

On that note, after 10 years or so the caps on my Leopold TLK are all shiny and smooth. I guess its time to find some new ones.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Moey posted:

Yeah, rubber domes survive a dishwasher (no heat dry).

On that note, after 10 years or so the caps on my Leopold TLK are all shiny and smooth. I guess its time to find some new ones.

I'm seriously considering this:
https://drop.com/buy/drop-t0mb3ry-sa-yuri-custom-keycap-set

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Speaking of keycaps, anyone here try the MDA profile yet?

I love Cherry profile, like DSA, but don't care for XDA. MDA seems like a crazy enough combination of all 3 that I might actually like it. Might order the Big Bang MDA keyset and do a trip report when they come in.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Constellation I posted:

Speaking of keycaps, anyone here try the MDA profile yet?

I love Cherry profile, like DSA, but don't care for XDA. MDA seems like a crazy enough combination of all 3 that I might actually like it. Might order the Big Bang MDA keyset and do a trip report when they come in.

I use MDA on an Anne Pro 2 and it just feels sublime. I love it but there aren’t enough key sets or a market for the Key sets yet. I want to buy a few particular keys but you end up needing to buy a whole set of extra stuff you may not need.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Can you like "breadboard" a keyboard and switches? I kinda want to just nerd out and put my own together and maybe add like a USB-C port or crap like that to see what I can do. Is there a starter guide for doing such things?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A Model M probably would survive a dishwasher as long as you don’t superheat it and wait like 4 days for it to fully dry before plugging it back in.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Hypothetical question: is it possible to double-shot key caps with polycarbonate for the legend material? Wondering if there would be any weirdness with thermal expansion.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

SoftNum posted:

Can you like "breadboard" a keyboard and switches? I kinda want to just nerd out and put my own together and maybe add like a USB-C port or crap like that to see what I can do. Is there a starter guide for doing such things?

It sounds like you're thinking of handwiring a keyboard. Here is one such tutorial: https://matt3o.com/hand-wiring-a-custom-keyboard/

You can probably find tons of tutorials for this. Lots of people have done it. Good luck! :)

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

v1ld posted:

The Corne is an excellent split ortho if you are ok with a 3x6 layout. The thumb cluster in particular is well laid out.

Corne/crkbd is nice too. If you want a number row the Iris is pretty good as well. You can often find people selling built keyboards on /r/mechmarket.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 25, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

LochNessMonster posted:

No, stabilizers for a 2u spacebar are entirely optional. When I built my first ortho, I used a 2u space and didn't stabilize, and it works just fine. At this point, though, I use two 1u space keys - The left functions normally, the right becomes backspace when held or double-tapped.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Exit Strategy posted:

No, stabilizers for a 2u spacebar are entirely optional. When I built my first ortho, I used a 2u space and didn't stabilize, and it works just fine. At this point, though, I use two 1u space keys - The left functions normally, the right becomes backspace when held or double-tapped.

Ok, I’m not even sure if I’m gonna go 2x1u or 1x2u at this point. I’ll give it a go as I can always add a stab later.

Last question (I think): do I need a backplate, and if so where would I get one, and do they differ per case? There used to be an EOTW backplate on OLKB but it’s not there anymore.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

LochNessMonster posted:

Ok, I’m not even sure if I’m gonna go 2x1u or 1x2u at this point. I’ll give it a go as I can always add a stab later.

Last question (I think): do I need a backplate, and if so where would I get one, and do they differ per case? There used to be an EOTW backplate on OLKB but it’s not there anymore.

You need some sort of casement, or at least standoffs. I'd recommend if you have access to a 3d printer just printing one up or using shapeways.

You can get the Case files at https://github.com/olkb/olkb_parts/tree/master/preonic .

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Exit Strategy posted:

You need some sort of casement, or at least standoffs. I'd recommend if you have access to a 3d printer just printing one up or using shapeways.

You can get the Case files at https://github.com/olkb/olkb_parts/tree/master/preonic .

Was the bottom plate an alternative for a case? I thought you were supposed to mount the bottom plate onto the case and the pcb onto that and cover it with the topplate.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Akko X Ducky 3087 in Horizon.

Would recommend.

Good:
- Real cherry switches
- keyed usb port

Bad:
- No English manual

Deviant fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 27, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Deviant posted:

Akko X Ducky 3087 in Horizon.

Would recommend.

Good:
- Real cherry switches
- keyed usb port

Bad:
- No English manual

Is that a lighted keyboard mat?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

LochNessMonster posted:

Was the bottom plate an alternative for a case? I thought you were supposed to mount the bottom plate onto the case and the pcb onto that and cover it with the topplate.

The bottom plate is a case alternative. I do two-plate cases for my boards, check it out:

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 27, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Zarin posted:

Is that a lighted keyboard mat?

It is the Razer Goliathus Chroma because I am dumb as hell

Edit: also important to the akko 3087, the keycat puller is a kitty paw:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 27, 2019

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Exit Strategy posted:

The bottom plate is a case alternative. I do two-plate cases for my boards, check it out:

Ah that makes sense. I’m gonna get the ‘official’ olkb hi pro case 3d printed. That opens up another whole box of things I’ve never heard of before.

Any advice on the material used to print a case? I saw options like ABS (hey I know that one from the keycaps), SLA, SLS, PLA, Nylon and I haven’t got a clue what would be the best choice.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Noise is highly dependent on typing technique. Even with a quiet technique mechanical switches will probably always be louder than a laptop keyboard.

That said, cherry silent reds are pretty quiet and don't feel all that bad either. I would probably feel like I wasn't being an rear end in a top hat for using them in a shared workspace. You can talk with your colleagues and see if they are bothered.

Also, be aware that the ergodox is really huge, especially the thumb cluster. It's really only ideal if you have large hands. I used to use a Microsoft Sculpt (which was fine) and I couldn't use an ergodox for more than an hour or so without serious thumb pain from stretching to reach the cluster.

The ez is also a bit overpriced for the build quality imo. It's kinda plasticy and cheap, but it's fine if you can't/don't want to build your own (it is a niche product after all). The hollow plasticyness can affect the sound though. You may be able to put foam inside or something to dampen it a bit.

As a sculpt user who wants some ergo and mechanical with low travel, I’m currently thinking of waiting on a group buy of an Alice clone, and getting testers of both mX and other switch types to see what has low travel so I can have the best of both worlds. The Alice looks closer to the sculpt to me than the ergo. Does that sound about right?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

For anyone like me who's interested in loving around with swappable switches but doesn't want to spend $200, Amazons got one for $30. Doomhammer choc.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was gonna get a slightly larger version of this board, but in the end decided to try a more compact size. Maaaaan, this thing oozes quality. It has a dead non-resonant thunk when hitting keys. The colors are omg nice. You get replacement keys for the White stuff, in off shades of blue. It has a USB C connector which is handy for macs or phones. It is very heavy and solid, no flex whatsoever. It's got cherry browns but whatever they did makes them sound just like o-ring'd cherrys.
Admittedly, I am a low end mechanical keyboard user haveing Model M's and Unicomps and other non-fancy stuff. I really like this keyboard a lot. I can type faster on it which is the point at the end of the day.

Akko SP Ocean Star in 84 Key: https://www.epomaker.com/product/akko-3108-sp-ocean-star/

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 30, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

redeyes posted:

I was gonna get a slightly larger version of this board, but in the end decided to try a more compact size. Maaaaan, this thing oozes quality. It has a dead non-resonant thunk when hitting keys. The colors are omg nice. You get replacement keys for the White stuff, in off shades of blue. It has a USB C connector which is handy for macs or phones. It is very heavy and solid, no flex whatsoever. It's got cherry browns but whatever they did makes them sound just like o-ring'd cherrys.
Admittedly, I am a low end mechanical keyboard user haveing Model M's and Unicomps and other non-fancy stuff. I really like this keyboard a lot. I can type faster on it which is the point at the end of the day.

Akko SP Ocean Star in 84 Key: https://www.epomaker.com/product/akko-3108-sp-ocean-star/

"Ergonomic and Customizablee" :haw:
I really like that. Too bad it's not modular so I can easily swap out switches.

Got any pictures of the underside? I have a foot fetish.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 30, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Sure here you go. Looks.. like the bottom of a keyboard lolol

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Looks acceptable.
Not quite as nice as the Durgod Taurus, but still plenty nice.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

For anyone like me who's interested in loving around with swappable switches but doesn't want to spend $200, Amazons got one for $30. Doomhammer choc.

Quick PSA on this one, they're only hotswappable to specific Outemu switches. That's because Outemu's hotswap system is basically a small socket over their switch legs (which are a lot thinner than other switches). Think of a metal boot on thin metal legs of the switch. If you want to swap in switches from other manufacturers you'll have to shave down the switch legs to get it thin enough to fit.

Unfortunately the king of budget hotswap with actual Kailh hotswap sockets is the Teamwolf Zhuque. It used to sell for $30 CAD on Amazon but it hasn't been stocked for more than a year in NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

LionArcher posted:

As a sculpt user who wants some ergo and mechanical with low travel, I’m currently thinking of waiting on a group buy of an Alice clone, and getting testers of both mX and other switch types to see what has low travel so I can have the best of both worlds. The Alice looks closer to the sculpt to me than the ergo. Does that sound about right?

I've never used the Alice so I don't know. It'll be hard to find curved keyboard like the sculpt that takes switches, except maybe building a dactyl variant, although those are more like maltrons/kinesis.

If you want lower travel take a look at Kailh speeds. They have both lower travel and actuation distance. Something like a Kailh Choc may be closer to a sculpt, but you will more or less have to build a custom board since the switch footprint is different.

Switch testers are okay but it's very difficult to really judge a switch without actually using it on a keyboard. Most cheap hotswaps are either Outemu only, and/or don't work with pcb mount switches. If the board isn't PCB mount compatible, it means you have to clip the legs off your switches with a flush cutter before they will fit.

If you can find a UT47.2 somewhere for $40-50 it has Kailh hotswaps (should be compatible with all/most MX switches) and PCB mount holes, and it will run QMK. It's a really nice tiny keyboard that you can just throw in a small backpack.