Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My home minis are breeding like tribbles, so I don't need any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I browse things I love but buy poo poo I hate, so all my data is useless for advertising hehe take that :c00l:

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Go in the google home app and make sure google play music is the default music service, should be be under Settings > Services

thanks!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello goons, which dual space type app let me install more than 2 instants of the same app? I used to do it with Titanium Backup but i don't root phones anymore.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

What's the current hotness in weather / radar apps? Raindar has been throwing an error, and all I want is a radar feed with no subscription.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Any recs on a sound recorder? If it helps, I'm specifically going to use it to record any noise in my bedroom while I'm asleep, so the ability to set a noise threshold and only record anything above that would be good.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Wacky Delly posted:

What's the current hotness in weather / radar apps? Raindar has been throwing an error, and all I want is a radar feed with no subscription.

Real radar? Radarscope

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ventusky is ok and has a free layer called radar. I don't know anything about that being real or not.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

FunOne posted:

Real radar? Radarscope

Radarscope is amazing and the hosed up thing is that it shouldn't be. It shouldn't be some standout paid app because there should be hi-res radar feeds like that available to everyone free of charge. I have never understood this lack of access. Sure, add bells and whistles and charge for them, but at least let me have just the highest res imagery for even just a 6 frame loop for free.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 31, 2019

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Do people still use Tasker or is there something better for what I need? Mostly I use it to turn my ringer off and on around the classes I teach based on entries in my calendar. Then I also use it to turn the ringer off at night. Every time the phone updates though I have to somehow re-allow it to access volume controls or something and my poo poo wakes me up at night or I miss calls between lessons. I guess I need to figure out the different silent modes too (why does do not disturb mean media is forever muted?). Any good apps for connecting a calendar to volume settings?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Sounds like you wanna dig into the do not disturb settings to make that work (generally works fine for me with a Pixel running stock Android).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

greazeball posted:

Do people still use Tasker or is there something better for what I need? Mostly I use it to turn my ringer off and on around the classes I teach based on entries in my calendar. Then I also use it to turn the ringer off at night. Every time the phone updates though I have to somehow re-allow it to access volume controls or something and my poo poo wakes me up at night or I miss calls between lessons. I guess I need to figure out the different silent modes too (why does do not disturb mean media is forever muted?). Any good apps for connecting a calendar to volume settings?

Both those options are covered in Android's Do Not Disturb settings, assuming you're on a newish version.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

goddamn, I'm so stuck in my ways I didn't even look there. thanks!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

greazeball posted:

goddamn, I'm so stuck in my ways I didn't even look there. thanks!

UPDATE: Samsung has disabled this in the S8, no custom scheduling rules at all

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Try the Samsung Sound Assist app. It let me put custom rules on my Tab S5e, but I can't remember if it supported calendar sync

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a thread favorite calorie tracker? My android-using gf is looking for a good one.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Snowy posted:

Is there a thread favorite calorie tracker? My android-using gf is looking for a good one.

I've used MyFitnessPal for years and wanna say it's pretty much the go-to for tracking. I've fiddled with a few others (Cronometer being the only one I remember offhand) but never liked them enough to swap

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

XIII posted:

I've used MyFitnessPal for years and wanna say it's pretty much the go-to for tracking. I've fiddled with a few others (Cronometer being the only one I remember offhand) but never liked them enough to swap

Yea MFP is usually the one everyone uses

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Awesome thank you goons :respek:

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Do Google Rewards expire or something? I don't get many surveys but I don't spend anything either, I remember the last time I had a survey, I had 57ish in the account, and total I got a survey, but account is now only $9?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Femur posted:

Do Google Rewards expire or something? I don't get many surveys but I don't spend anything either, I remember the last time I had a survey, I had 57ish in the account, and total I got a survey, but account is now only $9?

Yes, they do. I think after 1 year? Maybe less?

Go into the Play Store, select Payment Methods, and find your play credit on the list. It should state when the next deduction (ie expiration) will be.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

incogneato posted:

Yes, they do. I think after 1 year? Maybe less?

Go into the Play Store, select Payment Methods, and find your play credit on the list. It should state when the next deduction (ie expiration) will be.

So my account will be zero on 11/10/2019 .. welp.

Was this a recent change? because i don't think it was more than a few months since I last saw the 50ish balance..

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Femur posted:

So my account will be zero on 11/10/2019 .. welp.

Was this a recent change? because i don't think it was more than a few months since I last saw the 50ish balance..

I could be wrong, but I don't think the deduction on that Payment Methods page tells you how much will be deducted on the next date. Only that some will (which isn't terribly helpful).

It's not new, I don't think. They haven't always been very clear about it, though (and still really aren't).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Every time you get a credit from the survey thing it says "this will expire in a year".

It's mostly just not clear to users that it means that individual credit and not "oh you got more the date is refreshed".

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Ok thank you, thats really surprising, because ive never spent it, and barely get any, and total lifetime is 76 starting 2014, so how did i emass 57 in 1 yr rolling period..

Femur fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 6, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I had the same thing happen to me where I lost ~$53 the same time Femur did. I guarantee I didn't take a survey for $53 the year before (and in fact when I look at the history that's verified). Something changed where they just took a bunch of money from some of us.

What I would believe is that they had never been removing things after a year despite claiming they would and they just turned it on. That's entirely possible.

Femur posted:

Ok thank you, thats really surprising, because ive never spent it, and barely get any, and total lifetime is 76 starting 2014, so how did i emass 57 in 1 yr rolling period..

About $50/year is what you get if my four and a half year history is to be believed.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It looks like the Pixel 4 series running Android 10 now finally supports gesture navigation within third party launchers; so I'm really hoping this propagates down the line soon. I miss using Nova Launcher on my Pixel 2 XL, but I love gesture navigation too much.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Montalvo posted:

It looks like the Pixel 4 series running Android 10 now finally supports gesture navigation within third party launchers; so I'm really hoping this propagates down the line soon. I miss using Nova Launcher on my Pixel 2 XL, but I love gesture navigation too much.

Yeah, but it's still a little wonky on the 4/4XL at this point. It kinda trips up when you open the recents, since the standard behavior is to show recent/search/dock/app drawer. But, since that layout is coming from Pixel Launcher itself, it doesn't exactly know how to handle recents properly when those elements aren't hardcoded to always be there. Hopefully they'll smooth it out at the same time they extend gesture nav to 3rd party launchers on older models.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks to Top Shot in Pixel 3 and Pixel 4, the Pixel 2 will lose Smart Burst with Google Camera 7.2.

Unfortunately, Top Shot is P3/4 only so now the P2 has nothing. Yay!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 6, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like a LOT of people are finding that they're losing Google Opinion Rewards credit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I subscribe to Google Play music and the surveys cover about one month out of every three, so not too worried here, my credits get used. :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I use my credits as I get them, you all are weird for stockpiling.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're gonna feel stupid when they have the big gigantic teddy bear and you dont

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same. I tend to hover around $5-10 available at a given time, but it's not like I'm expecting my CamelGoogle Cash to ever be worth anything more than the occasional free movie rental or whatever. I don't get what Grail Item people are squirreling away for

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been meaning to get the last season of Preacher, but have been busy and now it's over and I'm not pressured.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mentioned this a while ago and a few other people said they also had it:

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

AMDroid is doing something really annoying: before the alarm sound starts gently fading in like I intend, I get the standard notification chime at full whatever-that's-set-to volume, which instantly wakes me up. Was working as intended until this started happening maybe a week ago; I thought it might have been tied to an Android update but didn't pin it down then. Do Not Disturb has always been on. Any ideas for a system or AMDroid setting to look at? Pixel 3a, all the recent updates.
Think I solved it with something someone just mentioned in the main Android thread:

bull3964 posted:

If you go into the notification category in settings, under advanced there should be an option to choose a different sound for the notification. From there, you can just choose "None."

Remember, you can touch on the text rather than the radio switch to get to an additional screen.
Settings -> Apps and Notifications -> AMDroid -> Notifications -> Ongoing alarm (Heads-up notification) -> Advanced -> Sound -> Currently set (which probably says 'Popcorn' or whatever your default is -> change to None -> Save.

Might help y'all:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, it's why I switched back to the stock alarm clock app. 10 did something...weird.

hot date tonight! posted:

This started happening for me too with android 10, I haven't tried to fix it at all I've just been annoyed by it. Could probably silence the alarm notification and still have the alarm go off, but I have no idea. Maybe set do not disturb to stay on until 5 minutes after the alarm?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Is there really no way to get the original angry birds game for my kid? Like before gems and stones and hearts and quests and everything else.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

FunOne posted:

Is there really no way to get the original angry birds game for my kid? Like before gems and stones and hearts and quests and everything else.

You might be able to find an old APK of the original game, but I don't know whether that's :filez: or not so maybe not the best idea. Plus who knows if the APK is legit or not

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

FunOne posted:

Apkmirror lists Angry Birds Classic if that's what you're after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

Apkmirror lists Angry Birds Classic if that's what you're after.

Still full of stars and gems and other revenue driven mechanics. I'd really love a version of the game my kid can play without getting upsold every five seconds.