Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Internet Explorer posted:

I made the same jump and feel similar. I really missed wireless charging from my 5X and while having quick charging on the 2XL was nice, I never want to go back to wired only charging. I have a charger on my desk at work and one on my nightstand and it's amazing.

I had a cord on my desk at work but never bothered using it. I found an old charging pad from my LG G5 or something and now that's where the 4XL goes. Apparently I'm that lazy. Plus it's nice to just pick the phone up and not have to fumble around with a cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

The Verge is saying it will be $200 from Best Buy or $150 with activation.

Well that's a no brainer if that turns out to be the case.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It shouldn't bother me because it happens all the time since the birth of technology but the whole 40% depreciation of retail value of cell phones within a 2 month span always drives me nuts.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Well that's a no brainer if that turns out to be the case.

The Best Buy ad has already been "leaked".
It says:
"Save $100 on the unlocked Google Pixel 3a. Plus save an additional $50 with qualified activation." (page 4)
"Save $100 on the unlocked Google Pixel 3a XL. Plus save an additional $50 with qualified activation."
Also
"Save $200 on the unlocked Google Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL. Plus save an additional $50 with qualified activation."
And
"Save $400 on the Google Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL with qualified activation. VERIZON/AT&T/SPRINT"

https://www.bfads.net/stores/best-buy/ads/black-friday

Now. Why the 3a is on page 4 and the XL is bazillion pages later I don't know.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I've setup the face unlock for now since I'm really only using the device at home. It's just not something I would want to rely on if I was out in the wild with it since it's only a simple camera unlock that can be fooled easily.

If you visit webcamtests.com from a Pixel 4, you can verify this: one of the available 'webcams', along with the front and back cameras, is the IR camera.

I honestly don't know if there's any extra 'magic' involved besides working in pitch darkness, bit even the old ICS-era face unlock had an option that required you to blink to prove you weren't a photo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

spincube posted:

If you visit webcamtests.com from a Pixel 4, you can verify this: one of the available 'webcams', along with the front and back cameras, is the IR camera.

I honestly don't know if there's any extra 'magic' involved besides working in pitch darkness, bit even the old ICS-era face unlock had an option that required you to blink to prove you weren't a photo.

I was referring to the Note 10+, not the Pixel 4 with that post.

The P4'S face unlock is secure and won't be fooled by photos, the Note 10+ one isn't.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Anandtech's Pixel 4 review is up. They're usually the last major reviewer to weigh in and they're usually the best and most technical.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15068/the-google-pixel-4-xl-review

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FistEnergy posted:

Anandtech's Pixel 4 review is up. They're usually the last major reviewer to weigh in and they're usually the best and most technical.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15068/the-google-pixel-4-xl-review

"Overall, the Pixel 4 frankly feels more like a device that would have been extremely successful if it had been released in 2018. Google releasing the phone this late in 2019 for prices of $799 for the regular version and $899 for the XL version just doesn’t make much sense. Those are also 64GB base variant versions by the way, you’ll have to pay an extra $100 for the 128GB models. I just can’t rationalise recommending the phones to anyone at their current price and given their compromises – Google has to either design and execute better, or give up on pretending they’re competing in the premium flagship segment and launch with prices about 25-30% lower."

This seems like the consensus outside of Pixel fanboy land. Good mid range phone, doesn't compete with 2019 flagships.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm tired of rehashing this. So much of phones is subjective and I don't agree with a good number of things in that review but that's just my opinion, and the reviewer is entitled to his/hers. Just buy whatever phone you want and enjoy it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

"Overall, the Pixel 4 frankly feels more like a device that would have been extremely successful if it had been released in 2018. Google releasing the phone this late in 2019 for prices of $799 for the regular version and $899 for the XL version just doesn’t make much sense. Those are also 64GB base variant versions by the way, you’ll have to pay an extra $100 for the 128GB models. I just can’t rationalise recommending the phones to anyone at their current price and given their compromises – Google has to either design and execute better, or give up on pretending they’re competing in the premium flagship segment and launch with prices about 25-30% lower."

This seems like the consensus outside of Pixel fanboy land. Good mid range phone, doesn't compete with 2019 flagships.

I think another thing that hurts the Pixel in the international markets is the fact a lot of it's "killer features" like the new Assistant, voice recorder, call screening and live captioning are US or English-only.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm tired of rehashing this. So much of phones is subjective and I don't agree with a good number of things in that review but that's just my opinion, and the reviewer is entitled to his/hers. Just buy whatever phone you want and enjoy it.

A lot of people base their purchases on professionals reviews. When every major tech reviewer out there is saying "yeah, it's not worth the price", it has a definite impact on the brand, and IMO, something worth discussing. Look what happened with sales of the Pixel 3/XL. Crap reviews, high price, and sales so low that Google was pushed in to releasing mid-market products. Is that not worth talking about in the Android phone thread?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

"Overall, the Pixel 4 frankly feels more like a device that would have been extremely successful if it had been released in 2018. Google releasing the phone this late in 2019 for prices of $799 for the regular version and $899 for the XL version just doesn't make much sense. Those are also 64GB base variant versions by the way, you'll have to pay an extra $100 for the 128GB models. I just can't rationalise recommending the phones to anyone at their current price and given their compromises – Google has to either design and execute better, or give up on pretending they're competing in the premium flagship segment and launch with prices about 25-30% lower."

$100 to go from 40GB unused to 104GB unused? What a ripoff!

grack posted:

A lot of people base their purchases on professionals reviews. When every major tech reviewer out there is saying "yeah, it's not worth the price", it has a definite impact on the brand, and IMO, something worth discussing. Look what happened with sales of the Pixel 3/XL. Crap reviews, high price, and sales so low that Google was pushed in to releasing mid-market products. Is that not worth talking about in the Android phone thread?

*Citation needed

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LastInLine posted:

*Citation needed

What other major factors do you think lead to low sales of the Pixel 3/XL?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

grack posted:

i dunno but it would seem like this very thread props up a significant portion of google's overall hardware sales :v:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

$100 to go from 40GB unused to 104GB unused? What a ripoff!

*Citation needed

Nah, he makes a good point and I agree with it. Lots of people read reviews before making big purchases, especially tech purchases where it's hard to determine a good value or a good performer on your own.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

Nah, he makes a good point and I agree with it. Lots of people read reviews before making big purchases, especially tech purchases where it's hard to determine a good value or a good performer on your own.

There's your proof, LastInLine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

And a citation backing this up would be...?

grack posted:

I would wager the vast majority people ask friends what they'd recommend, go with brand recognition (Galaxy/iPhone), and ask the guy at the carrier store having already made the decision between Android and iOS. I'd further wager that those not already sold on a model primarily use price as the determining factor (that would include carrier and OEM sales).

Even if you count reviews influencing the nerd who gets asked for a recommendation by person disinterested in doing their own research and counting that as "basing a purchase on professional reviews" (and let's be real, that doesn't fit the definition), there's no way in my mind that those plus actual reviews readers accounts for 10% of phone purchases.

My supposition would be the Pixel 3/XL didn't sell because it lacks brand recognition and cost close to a thousand dollars.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I would wager the vast majority people ask friends what they'd recommend, go with brand recognition (Galaxy/iPhone), and ask the guy at the carrier store having already made the decision between Android and iOS.

Yeah, I've managed to become the go-to for a lot of my friends/family when it's time for them to upgrade phones because they know I keep up with tech poo poo. The typical script is them saying they want a new phone, me suggesting the best option for their use case, them saying something about "the salesperson suggesting [X]" (which is always overkill, and also Galaxy equals Android), then me trying with varying success to talk them back into my first suggestion

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Has anybody done the Pixel 4 eSIM with AT&T?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i dunno but it would seem like this very thread props up a significant portion of google's overall hardware sales :v:

I mean I'm responsible for probably the only 4 Pixel 2s in my town. So yeah, checks out

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grack posted:

Fair enough, I'm just tired of the anger over phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Yeah, I've managed to become the go-to for a lot of my friends/family when it's time for them to upgrade phones because they know I keep up with tech poo poo. The typical script is them saying they want a new phone, me suggesting the best option for their use case, them saying something about "the salesperson suggesting [X]" (which is always overkill, and also Galaxy equals Android), then me trying with varying success to talk them back into my first suggestion

Obviously all of us IIT are go-tos for this kind advice and we all also know that the person asking us already knows the "best" phone, it's either the Galaxy or the iPhone, whichever they've already decided on and that your role is either to tell them that they're correct if they can afford it or if they can't to suggest something, anything, else so they can rationalize not getting the best one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fair enough, I'm just tired of the anger over phones.

If it were a commodity good no one would care, but they're a not-insignificant financial purchase.
*east London accent* "Ain't exactly a bag a sugar now innit?"
Combine that with brand marketing, attachment, and the human tendency to tribalism and, well... no war but the console war.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What anger? The Pixel line being disappointing for two years in a row makes me sad, not angry. I should be an easy sale for them. I have a gosh darn Nest Hub Max, for goodness sake.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

What anger? The Pixel line being disappointing for two years in a row makes me sad, not angry. I should be an easy sale for them. I have a gosh darn Nest Hub Max, for goodness sake.

Its this. I have absolutely no clue why they keep making GBS threads up the same way each time. Its actually gotten worse with p4! If they ever stop dissapointing though I will be there like a shot because the software stuff obviously looks fab.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Google's marketshare is 2.5% in the US (up from about 1.5%, pre 3A release), and under 0.5% elsewhere. Their userbase is almost entirely people who read androidpolice and r/android daily, and both of those outlets are by and large full of people telling other people why they're not buying the P4. I think it's disingenuous to say people don't look at reviews.
If anyone wants some stats on that:

Nearly 95% of shoppers read online reviews before making a purchase (Spiegel Research Center, 2017)
72% of customers don't take action until they have read reviews (Testimonial Engine)
92% of B2B buyers are more likely to purchase after reading a trusted review (G2 and Heinz Marketing, 2017)
Displaying reviews [instore or online] can increase conversion rates by 270% (Spiegel Research Center, 2017)
Displaying reviews for higher-priced products can increase conversion rates by 380% (Spiegel Research Center, 2017)
Customers spend 31% more when a business has positive reviews (Broadly)

Every bit of evidence suggests people are hugely influenced by reviews when they're buying an expensive device.

Adding my own subjective opinion, I would say people are looking for key factors in a smartphone review, things like battery life, so articles like this are only going to hurt sales.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 9, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I didn't get where anybody was angry, and the above review was pretty objective. People who must have the newest tech don't pay reviews any attention - those are for the rest of us doing comparison shopping on last-gen phones to determine the best value. 😀

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

It looks like the pixel 3a is $300 on the Google Fi store right now, but there are reports that it might go down to $200 on black Friday. Will they likely sell out quickly at that price? Trying to figure out if I should wait for the sale or just buy one now. $300 is already much better than the $500 they were charging until recently.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Would it be weird to drop $200 on a Pixel 3a on Black Friday just to gently caress around with/have it as a back up to my S10+? I think my Asurion deductible for my current phone is more than that. I could just cancel my insurance and have that laying around.

Is there any downside to be logged into Google accounts on two phones at once? Would it gently caress with cloud stuff, like overwriting photos in the cloud or something?

Also, can you hotswap SIMs on Verizon nowadays? For some reason I think I remember that not being a thing a while back. I realize this isn't the thread for that, but while I'm asking questions!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah you can have 10+ devices use the same account. Also phone induance is not worth it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, right now I have 7 active android devices signed into my google account. The only thing that doesn't work well is SMS/MMS synchronization.

Anyways, as someone who owns 3 of the top google flagships (OP7P, Note 10+, and Pixel 4 XL) I can safely tell you that there's not one hell of a lot of difference between using all three and any article trying to posit that such a difference exists is min/maxing things to the point that would laugh people out of this thread. It really boils down to what software experience you like using more and how you prioritize certain aspects of the device.

My issue with tech blogging as of late is the tendency to try to create drama or a larger narrative behind what they see when the answer is much simpler.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/11/the-pixel-4s-latest-battery-compromise-artificially-capped-display-brightness/

That article and all of the others that have talked about capped brightness have been quick this week to call this the "latest battery compromise" and all other variation of that while overlooking the obvious. The extra brightness headroom is there for HDR (because if you jump into HDR content in Netflix the display does get a TON brighter than it normally does) and Google capped the normal brightness at 450 nits because they figured it was "good enough" and worked the best within their display calibration.

The same with the 90hz parameters. First, all the headlines said "90hz doesn't work below 75% brightness" which was just a flat out false statement because it was a combination of display brightness and ambient light that determined the refresh rate. Then, again, they used that to justify their conclusion. "They did it to compensate for battery life! See, because people stay below 75% and that means the feature is never active and, bla bla bla." Meanwhile (as the Anandtech article mentions) 90hz has a very minor impact on battery life in the grand scheme of things. This is once again just Google being Google and someone deciding that flicker perception and gamma response were more important than maintaining 90hz under the most parameters.

Then there's this article.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/01/google-s-pixel-4-face-unlock-fiasco/

quote:

Like many tech writers, I've been struggling to wrap my head around the brand-new Pixel 4's face unlock security #fail.

Really? You work in the tech industry and you are struggling with the concept of immovable launch deadlines and software bugs? I mean, for fucks sake. It's not good that the Pixel doesn't have any sort of attention feature for face unlock and those who are in situations where this would be an issue should look elsewhere. However, don't spend 20+ paragraphs musing about some massive decision making rot inside of google that lead to this happening. The phone had to launch in October, the attention feature wasn't ready, the phone has no other biometrics. So it launched in its current state. Mystery solved. Some team underestimated their sprint and now we have someone writing an article making statements like this:

quote:

Surely someone in these categories works on the Android, Pixel or software security teams at Google. Perhaps they just didn't speak up — or they did and were sidelined, gaslit or ignored. You'd think that at the very least someone in PR would have dragged a Pixel team member over to a shiny PR workstation, pointed at the desk's forehead-shaped dent and said, "No more."

You are flat out loving delusional to think a major tech company. ANY major tech company, would push the launch of their flagship product due to something like this. Yes, there are decision making issues here, but the issue was not including a fingerprint sensor as a fallback during this transition period. However, that decision was likely made over a year ago when they were fairly certain face unlock was going to be feature complete at launch.

So, yeah, that's what's been grating on me the most about the latest tech cycle coverage of this device. Everything is this dramatic "HOW DID THEY GET THIS SO WRONG!" "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!" "IT'S NOT COMPETITIVE AT ALL!" "THE DEVICE IS A TOTAL BOMB!"

In reality, it gives you pretty much the same experience as other flagships out there. It's not top marks in any single metric, but if that's the utmost concern for you, you should be buying an iPhone which obliterates anything on the Android side for performance and power efficiency.

Value. That's the other word that's been tossed around in all of these articles. Yes, the Pixel 4 is overpriced. But so is the Note 10+ ($1100 for a loving phone?) and so are most flagships at MSRP. No one buys phones at MSRP. No.One. Pixel 4 was $100 off out of the gate via various gift cards. Note 10+ launched with bogo offers on all the carriers and frequently has augmented trade in promos. The iPhone launches with promos even. So, let's stop pearl clutching over the MSRP of any flagship device and pretending it's anything other than some fictitious number that's needed to fill out a launch press release. Let's also stop pretending that discounts at or around near launch are signs of it being an abject failure since every single device does it. That's the reality in working in a market where carriers are the major storefront for phones. They want deals to lock in subscribers and you can't be constantly discounting a phone that has a realistic MSRP.

Just buy the thing that makes you happy and stop trying to min/max everything (unless that's what makes you happy). It's really hard to make a wrong choice right now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's only tangentially related, but if anyone of you guys happens to post in Youtube livestreams, watch what you post in the chat window. That Markiplier persona did a game livestream in Choose-Your-Adventure style, getting people spamming color coded emojis (red, green, etc.) to get attention to the desired outcome, essentially making the live chat look like a typical Twitch chat, and Youtube's automated systems went apeshit and go suspend people's Google accounts. Yes, you read that right, Google accounts, not Youtube accounts. Wouldn't want to get locked out of a phone because of some poo poo posted to Youtube chat.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

So, yeah, that's what's been grating on me the most about the latest tech cycle coverage of this device. Everything is this dramatic "HOW DID THEY GET THIS SO WRONG!" "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!" "IT'S NOT COMPETITIVE AT ALL!" "THE DEVICE IS A TOTAL BOMB!"
I do largely agree with you, but pointing out faults in a flagship phone is completely relevant IMO.
When Samsung also make the A50/70/80 with 99% of everyone's uses covered for under half the price, they need to justify the $900+ for the S10 range.
When Google also make the 3a, they need to justify the cost of the P4.
When Nokia(and a couple other OEMs) release Android One phones that match the pixel for update longevity at $200-250, the concept of flagships need to justify themselves.

The whole concept of a flagship phone is they're asking anywhere between $500-700 more for a phone that will offer the "best of the best" experience. What the entire industry has offered in the last couple of years is a "pick your own compromise" and an ever inflating price tag.
People do pay near MSRP for these, as evidenced ITT, and the lower end gets proportionally similar discounts anyway, so the price disparity is always there.

I don't think anyone is "angry about [phone]" they're just annoyed the industry has slipped into a cul-de-sac of it's own making.

The good news here, is the midrange is now an excellent place to be and they're quietly picking up flagship specs at sensible pricing.
£300: Samsung A70: 6.7in OLED, 4500mah with 25W charging, 128GB+sd slot, headphone jack, 6Gb RAM
£670: Pixel 4: 5.7in OLED, 2800mah with 18w charging, 64Gb, 6Gb RAM + 'flagship features'
The specific brands and phones matched here don't matter, but 'flagship features' (such as wireless charging, face unlock) need to be convincing enough in 2019 to make up the difference. So when one of those 'flagship features' isn't well implemented, and you can point as base stats like battery where it's not even on-par, the value proposition falls over.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bull described my feelings really well. I really enjoy my 4XL and I don't even see the battery life complaints, it's a very nice upgrade from my 3XL. My *only* complaint is that I wish it had the fingerprint reader in addition to the face unlock. The face scanner is very fast and secure, but my brain still tries to finger the hole on the back which no longer exists :(

Also, I don't understand how reviewers are claiming the screen sucks outside. It....doesn't? It's perfectly fine in sunlight? Meh.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Khablam posted:

I do largely agree with you, but pointing out faults in a flagship phone is completely relevant IMO.

Yeah, but there's a difference between pointing out the faults in a phone and making up overly-elaborate explanations for those faults.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, but there's a difference between pointing out the faults in a phone and making up overly-elaborate explanations for those faults.
It's why I largely agree with him, tech journalism is poo poo.

CLAM DOWN posted:

My *only* complaint is that I wish it had the fingerprint reader in addition to the face unlock.
It's exactly now that someone needs to bring back Sony's power-button scanner. That was just the most logical thing to do and competed with touchID for instant convenience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Khablam posted:

I don't think anyone is "angry about [phone]" they're just annoyed the industry has slipped into a cul-de-sac of it's own making.

I know I wouldn't choose something like an A70 over a Google or Android One device at the midrange. I'm sorry, the Samsung software experience still not great. It's better than it used to be, but it's still bad in a lot of places and I can only see putting up with it if you wanted their best hardware. You could also make the same comparison WITHIN Samsung. The S10e looks pretty poor compared on paper to that A70 as well. Buying a flagship phone NEVER MAKES SENSE. There's no compelling use case for a $1000 pocket computer with 12gb of ram and 256gb of storage. They are irrational purchases from the start so it seems very very silly to use a spreadsheet to come up with the objective best choice when the right choice is none of them.

Here's the thing. It's just a constant ouroboros of tail eating, but the cycle has been particularly brutal to the Pixel 4 when it offers pretty much the same experience as any other flagship out there.

Here's what Ron Amadeo had to say about the Note 10+ when it came out just two months earlier.

quote:

The competition blew past Samsung this year, and the company needs more than a mid-cycle upgrade to keep up. Other than the wide availability and the undoubtedly large marketing budget, I don't see anything special here. Hopefully Samsung has major upgrades in the works for next year's Galaxy S11.

Here was the S10 earlier that year.

quote:

I think when you are charging $900-$1,000 for an Android phone, you ought to be able to offer the whole smartphone package. But Samsung's cluttered software and its historic inability to deliver the latest functionality and security improvements in Android make the Galaxy S10 a tough sell at this ultra-premium price point. High prices come with high expectations. You'll have to accept a lot of compromises with the Galaxy S10, and I just don't see a reason to. When companies like OnePlus are offering a similar hardware experience with a superior software package, why would you spend $350 more for a Samsung phone?

But here's the thing, after those reviews were published, it largely went radio silent (aside from screen protectors defeating fingerprint sensors) and those 'phones that weren't good enough" when they came out are the phones that get recommended for purchase when the cycle turns to the Pixel. With the pixel though, it seems like everyone and their cousin is tearing in to find the tiniest fault in the device and to make another headline. "It has HIDDEN higher brightness, that they hid to conserve battery!" Maybe that's just what comes from being the hardware manufacturer and the software manufacturer, but it's getting tedious. I think what's even more annoying about the whole trend is the feigned shock or disbelief. These phones were leaked to hell and back for months, most devices are. That, combined by what we know about the component market means we know pretty much everything about a device from the moment the first sighting in public happens. So don't give me this "we're surprised that the battery is only 2800 mAh in this device" bullshit. You knew 6 months ago, you decided then that it wasn't usable, and you used that at the backbone for the narrative of your review to the point where it defines the headline.

It's all a bunch of theater. Google needs to do better with their devices, but so does everyone else. They are all compromised in one way or another. No one justifies their pricepoints (except arguably OnePlus) and it's no coincidence that the manufacturer that only has a single carrier relationship actually has realistic prices on their devices. Price high, discount low. It's the oldest sales trick in the book and it's something that the carriers pretty much demand.

Googles BIGGEST issue right now is their launch date. October sucks. Being the last phone to launch in the year sucks. You are the last device to use the current gen processor. You have the biggest yardstick to be compared against. Everyone else is heavily discounted at this point so no matter what you price the thing at, you're wrong. But they're kinda hosed now on this date unless they want to go 18 months between devices for a cycle. Arguably, I think they should. Take 18 months, launch the Pixel 5 with the SD 875 or whatever and make everything about the device bulletproof.

On the flipside, it honestly doesn't matter. No one honestly uses these reviews to make decisions unless there's some sort of crippling flaw. Anyone that follows tech reviews has already decided for the year what they are buying, everyone else buys the bogo at their carrier store. SOME may seek guidance from other family members. My aunt and uncle both have a Pixel 3 because they knew I had a Pixel 3 and they got a bogo with verizon, but I didn't tell them to buy it. They are perfectly happy with them. My dad has a Nokia 6.1 that my mom got him for christmas under my guidance and is perfectly happy. My mom has a Moto G of some generation and is perfectly happy. My one friend has a Galaxy S10 and is perfectly happy. My other friend has my hand me down Pixel 2XL and is perfectly happy while his wife is happy with her Galaxy A whateverATTgivesheroninsuranceaftertheirkidsbreakshercurrentphone.

Here, have a picture of Discovery that I shot with my P4XL.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 9, 2019

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Can't remember if this was ever a thing, i feel like it was but my google searches seem to think its app dependent, but its worth a go:

Didn't it used to be possible to still allow push notifications for a specific app, but not have it play your default (or any) notification sound through the notification settings? I can only see the options to turn off all notifications for it. I want a popup, or the LED to flash if its there, i just don't want to listen to the annoying sound everytime it goes off but can't mute my phone. The apps in question suck and don't seem to have an option in app to disable the sound but still let the notification appear in the bar.

I'm on a OnePlus 3 on Android 9.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you go into the notification category in settings, under advanced there should be an option to choose a different sound for the notification. From there, you can just choose "None."

Remember, you can touch on the text rather than the radio switch to get to an additional screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

If you go into the notification category in settings, under advanced there should be an option to choose a different sound for the notification. From there, you can just choose "None."

Remember, you can touch on the text rather than the radio switch to get to an additional screen.

Tight, thanks bro. Didn't even think to tap it, just assumed it would've turned it off.