Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How can this possibly be a thread in a comic book forum where an antihero is completely misunderstood.

Please read more 90s comics!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

lmao if you’re expecting a full understanding of Watchmen via Damon Lindelof in two episodes

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I mean, if the conclsuion of Angela's arc of realizing that the system she's part of is actually really hosed up is "Just replace bad cop with good cop" or something equally banal I'll concede on the show being anti-cop but thus far the show has portrayed the police force as cult like and eager to abuse their power.

Edit - Absolutely dunk on me if that happens

Roth fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 30, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Squidster posted:

I once lived with a medic, a first responder, who so admired Tyler Durden that he started his own fight club. He saw an untamed alpha male and wanted to emulate him.

People are *real* bad at interpreting media. They take a handful of images out of all context and cling to it.

Fight Club was notorious even at the time of its release for appearing to want to profit from both sides of its interpretation. Ebert:

quote:

Of course, "Fight Club" itself does not advocate Durden's philosophy. It is a warning against it, I guess; one critic I like says it makes "a telling point about the bestial nature of man and what can happen when the numbing effects of day-to-day drudgery cause people to go a little crazy." I think it's the numbing effects of movies like this that cause people go to a little crazy. Although sophisticates will be able to rationalize the movie as an argument against the behavior it shows, my guess is that audience will like the behavior but not the argument. Certainly they'll buy tickets because they can see Pitt and Norton pounding on each other; a lot more people will leave this movie and get in fights than will leave it discussing Tyler Durden's moral philosophy. The images in movies like this argue for themselves, and it takes a lot of narration (or Narration) to argue against them.

I admired "The Game" much more than "Fight Club" because it was really about its theme, while the message in "Fight Club" is like bleeding scraps of Socially Redeeming Content thrown to the howling mob.

This is, and has been for a long time, a Thing People Do with produced media.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Good lord, Ebert was good at this whole 'words' thing. I miss that guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Archyduchess posted:

People do argue that but I've always felt that it's a manifestly incorrect argument that only really sort of holds up if you limit what you're talking about to, like, a super specific vision of the "war movie" as a genre. Nobody is going to walk out of Come and See or Threads with a hankering for war. Salo's a war movie, le petit soldat is a war movie, etc..

I met two different people at two different colleges who were there on the GI bill who said at least part of the reason they signed up was because of Full Metal Jacket.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If only there was a middle ground between "All cops are evil" and "cops should be allowed to murder innocent black people"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Oasx posted:

If only there was a middle ground between "All cops are evil" and "cops should be allowed to murder innocent black people"

Why do you need a middle ground between correct and incorrect statements?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Oasx posted:

There is, it's called: "good cops don't last". Meaning at some point you either stop being good or you stop being a cop, or you get killed by your co-workers.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

forkboy84 posted:

There was an 80s British drama called A Very British Coup. That's about all I can think of in my lifetime.

I was going to ask a question about leftist thrillers in another thread (mostly because I'm being bombarded with Jim from the Office does Venuzeula ads at the moment and I like thrillers but they all suck in terms of politics) and A Very British Coup was the only thing that came to mind. Weird to see it referenced elsewhere given it's pretty drat obscure. An argument could be made for Edge of Darkness ( <--- see av) as well, at the time at least. Outside of thrillers you've also got some of Jimmy McGovern's stuff, notably Dockers. Even when he does cop shows like Cracker there are usually some themes exploring social justice from a lefty perspective.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 30, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Lindelof gave an interview prior to the series where he explicitly says the show is centrist in attitude so yeah, prepare for disappointment.

quote:

Lindelof’s interpretation operates with a subversive attitude that says no side is right and there are no simple answers—which isn’t an easy balance to achieve in an era when bothsiderism is a bad word. Lindelof says he does this “very carefully and wildly irresponsibly at the same time. You can’t be afraid to make a mess.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/amp29462906/damon-lindelof-watchmen-hbo-series-interview/

My money is on (your favourite PoC character) going all Danerys suddenly.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 30, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I met two different people at two different colleges who were there on the GI bill who said at least part of the reason they signed up was because of Full Metal Jacket.

I can believe that and I've encountered similar people. I think it's partially the same issue I had in trying to come up with corresponding examples in cop shows-- Full Metal Jacket is about soldiers and the day-to-day life of soldiering in a way that Come and See or something like the 1919 version of J'Accuse aren't. I think placing a subject in front of the audience as an on object of sustained attention has a natural tendency to make it interesting, if not likable. I think it's significant that in a lot of the movies I mentioned soldiers (or even combat really) aren't onscreen much of the time. It's about the other people whose lives get ruined by soldiers and war.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Really the only parts of the boot camp segment that FMJ got wrong was showing people actually capable of running in step and showing them actually doing the confidence course instead of doing maybe one obstacle a few times over and over and then running in circles around it until the allotted time was up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fangz posted:

Lindelof gave an interview prior to the series where he explicitly says the show is centrist in attitude so yeah, prepare for disappointment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/amp29462906/damon-lindelof-watchmen-hbo-series-interview/

My money is on (your favourite PoC character) going all Danerys suddenly.

That's... not what the quoted portion says, though?

Is nuance centrism now, or are we just being really, really uncharitable to Lindelof and assuming he's speaking code language because he made a bad Alien movie?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's... not what the quoted portion says, though?

Is nuance centrism now, or are we just being really, really uncharitable to Lindelof and assuming he's speaking code language because he made a bad Alien movie?

It says it's going to piss off people in the center and people who take sides. It's literally the South Park method.

He said in another interview he thinks that the Senate should be split 50/50 to give everyone a voice. He's the definition of a centrist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gravy Jones posted:

I was going to ask a question about leftist thrillers in another thread (mostly because I'm being bombarded with Jim from the Office does Venuzeula ads at the moment and I like thrillers but they all suck in terms of politics) and A Very British Coup was the only thing that came to mind. Weird to see it referenced elsewhere given it's pretty drat obscure. An argument could be made for Edge of Darkness ( <--- see av) as well, at the time at least. Outside of thrillers you've also got some of Jimmy McGovern's stuff, notably Dockers. Even when he does cop shows like Cracker there are usually some themes exploring social justice from a lefty perspective.

The Spook Who Sat By The Door.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guys this isn't a Watchmen thread. If you want that TV IV has one.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Only 37 people have bought Ethan's Ribbit Coins, causing Ethan to try to sell people on them like he's on Fox and Friends

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1189670509383831552?s=20

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1189677035653943298?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of IndieGoGo

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1189690677455654913

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

Only 37 people have bought Ethan's Ribbit Coins, causing Ethan to try to sell people on them like he's on Fox and Friends

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1189677035653943298?s=20

so.... 37 people paid more than $120 each to own the libs.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Possibly less, isn't this the campaign that "suddenly" began with $2k priming the pump?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

END ME SCOOB posted:

Possibly less, isn't this the campaign that "suddenly" began with $2k priming the pump?

Correct. Somebody was so keen to be all up ons that within 59 minutes it had two grand towards its goal, that totally wasn't EVS.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's wacky how right-wing grifters all seem to get special privileges on these platforms, isn't it?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

E the Shaggy posted:

Subject aside, when you look at the pictures of the coins they looks rather lovely, as in nowhere near anything that could be called ultra-high quality.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The books and infinite variant covers also looked lovely, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1190350335665197062

Now Boyette? (Remember when he was 'attacked' in Honololu by anti-ComicsGate people and had the 'police report' and everything?) ComicsGate Will Eat Itself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1190350335665197062

Now Boyette? (Remember when he was 'attacked' in Honololu by anti-ComicsGate people and had the 'police report' and everything?) ComicsGate Will Eat Itself.

This is actually a rather interesting phenomenon that occurs often in Right Wing circles. It's extra funny because,in America, the right wing often accuses the left wing of this phenomenon. However, in my experience, it occurs more often and more famously in right wing political circles. It's called purity testing.

Purity testing is the situation where a political group polices its own members for their adherence to ideals. This most famously occurred with the Nazi party. Up to a point, Nazis pretended to accept certain groups such as homosexuals. This was a trap, however, to garner useful idiots to bolster their ranks and gain influence over key individuals in government. Once they felt safe, they killed off these useful idiots. As in, literally murdered them, in case anyone felt I was being poetic. One of these useful idoits is even believed to be Hitler's lover. You can actually see this similar trend in right wing groups today. I could mention some controversial opinions about individuals in right wing American politics who can be called "useful idiots" for the American conservative political movement.

To start off, I believe purity testing occurs more often in the right wing due to its very nature. Right wing ideologies often ask the members to accept the values of the group without introspection or question. As such, those who deviate from the party line are more likely to be targeted. You see this easily in American conservative politics. They even went through a soft purge in 2010 with the R.I.N.O. or "Republican In Name Only" movement. It is also known more commonly as the Tea Party movement. This movement saw a purge in key Republican leadership that was viewed as too moderate and, as such, "impure" when it came to adherence to party ideals.

Left wing groups encourage more free thinking by their very nature. While this leads to some more factionalism and infighting amongst the factions, it only results in outright expulsion in the most extreme of cases where a member manages to go against something all factions believe in. For example, American left wing groups are often anti-racism, at least when it comes to their public face. Openly racist actions, ideals, or speech would result in expulsion as all of the factions of American left wing ideologies are publicly anti-racism.

Another example would be the #MeToo movement. As left wing groups are publicly pro-feminist (though the extent and nature of their feminist ideology may differ), being found to have engaged in sexual assault would result in expulsion. I wish I could say right wing groups would act the same, but we've seen for a fact that they will not. Instead, they deny allegations and rally around membership as their anti-feminist ideologies encourage the party to ignore facts and attack the victims. This is, in its own way, another example of purity testing. The anti-feminist, anti-women ideology of American conservative groups require its members to stand against victims accusing their abusers of sexual violence to ensure women do not gain more rights and influence in society.

Comicsgate is a right wing fascist conservative political movement based in America and exhibits a lot of the same evils I mentioned above. They are, in many ways, more susceptible to failings. The major conservative and fascist party in America, the Republican party, retained enough leadership after the Tea Party purges to retain some levels of competence in their evil craft, unfortunately. If you want to know what I think the future of conservative groups looks like in America, comcisgate is not a bad example as it is an excellent example of young conservative politics.

Older conservatives tend to come from a time where their horrid views were accepted from the public. As such, the movement's ranks have members which don't as easily join such groups in the modern day. Do not misunderstand me, of course. A lot of people who some may consider "intelligent" such as engineers and programmers do join such movements nowadays, a lot of the competent political actors do not join American conservative groups as readily anymore. Not due to a lack of ideological reasons, mind you. It's more of a "sinking ship" notion. The current American conservative movement may currently be ascendant, but its a fortress with many holes in its walls and lazy security. While it has planted seeds to perpetuate its evil long after it would have otherwise been thankfully purged from this Earth, it has a weak grasp on recruiting young members.

Most young conservatives lack the political competency that the older members wield. Those who have such political competency and conservative political ideologies are better served working within the Liberal wing of the Democrat party. Liberals, after all, skew more conservative, and have are in control of the party. The Leftist wing of the Democrat party has made recent strides, but conservatives know that they are unlikely to obtain leadership anytime soon. As such, purely conservative groups, like comicsgate, is made up of political neophytes that lack political competency.

They tend to be full of vitriol and rage and act out of spite, not logic. While the broken state of American elections give them the ability to obtain political power, even when obtained, they have trouble actually enacting many of their ills. They're often blatant, bold face, and attract stern opposition more readily from their political opponents. They lack the ability to use lingo and jargon to effectively hide their true intentions and, as such, fail to convince even the spineless liberal wing of the Democrats that their actions are not abhorrent. Due to their vitriol, they fight with each other and act more recklessly.

Ultimately, as we see with comicsgate, the proudboys, and President Donald Trump, they continuously fight, betray, and destroy themselves.

They are still a threat, mind you. Even utterly incompetent as they are, these groups have caused actual loss of life, political instability, hate crimes, and may have damned the entire planet through a lack of response to global warming. Even with their incompetence, they can still gain political power and use it in evil ways. This is thanks to our government lacking certain protections due to the believe political actors would act in good faith.

To surmise, what we are seeing is purity testing in action. This occurs often in right wing groups and leads to infighting and purges. The members currently flooding the right wing lack the basic political competence of their ancestors. We should expect this behavior to be more common within such groups over time. They are still a threat, however, due to our broken political system and due to the classic social issues best surmised as "evil succeeds when good people do nothing."

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Disagree 100% that purity testing is a right wing phenomenon. The left eats itself alive all the time. Right now it’s attacking Obama.

If you want to read one view of it, “The Left At War” is nice.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

lifg posted:

Disagree 100% that purity testing is a right wing phenomenon. The left eats itself alive all the time. Right now it’s attacking Obama.

If you want to read one view of it, “The Left At War” is nice.

I hate to tell you, Obama ain't "left".

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Stupid weird double post

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ash Crimson posted:

I hate to tell you, Obama ain't "left".

A perfect example of my point.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

lifg posted:

It's not though. Obama is a liberal, and a center right one at that, he's not a leftist. Words mean things.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

lifg posted:

It's not though. Obama is a liberal, and a center right one at that, he's not a leftist. Words mean things.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

lifg posted:

Are you okay? Obama is centre right.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

lifg posted:

Please tell me you yelled "CHECK MATE LEFTIST" at your screen.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
You can't really make 1:1 comparisons between the US Right and Left, because the Right is a near totally cohesive unit. The "left" as seen by the general public is anyone who falls on the opposite side of their agenda, from Illhan Omar to Joe Biden.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

lifg posted:

Under no conditions does a leftist work hand in hand with the business interests of their country.

I don’t know what leftist boxes Obama checked off by his actions not by his words which people fawned over.

Sadly the stupid US media labels liberals as the left just because they are left of a far right conservatism.

Sorry, you are very wrong.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
e: ugh stupid Awful app

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

lifg posted:

As you may have noticed, I made it clear to have liberals and leftists as two separate wings of the Democratic Party. That is because they are two wings of the party. The Liberals are the conservative wing and the leftists are the leftist wing. The Liberals are currently in charge of the party and that's why I think a lot of traditionally conservative people are joining with them instead of the conservative parties of America. Because they seem to be more capable of long-term management and less purity testing and, as I said before, are currently in charge of the party and seem like they will stay that way for a while.

As I also said, the left is prone to factionalism due to the fact that their very nature promotes free-thinking. Free thinking leads to schism. There's a difference between that and purity testing though. Purity testing is expulsion from the entire group. Schism is remaining a part of the macro group but dividing it into micro groups with aligned macro goals but different specific micro goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Take it to D&D.