Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Duke 3D had insanely good level design for its time. It was such a stupid fuckin game but the weapon and level design were both pretty ahead of their time and influenced a lot of better games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You know what owned in Duke3D? Squishing motherfuckers in doors with that cool sound effect, and then opening the door again and seeing a string of goop

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Did Duke3D have actual 3D level design? That might have helped differentiate it from Doom/Wolf3d.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

No it was still 2.5D although the build engine was more advanced

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

fun fallout 3 fact : the metro cars are actually hats

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Simon Milligan posted:

There's a Daggerfall modding community now?? Where is this at? That's like my all time favorite game.
My friend you are in for a treat

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewforum.php?f=27
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfall/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQsN9EK4y5U

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Duke Nukem Forever was a dumb idea because the ending of Duke3D, where he shits into the final boss' throat, is as Duke as it gets. There's no way to top that game without going stale, instead they should have been perfectly in their right to make some ridiculous Duke spinoff games, like Duke Nukem Racing (although Death Rally existed I guess), Duke Golf, etc, that would have actually been the right move at that point.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Excelzior posted:

fun fallout 3 fact : the metro cars are actually hats

Pyramid head ain't got poo poo on me

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Duke Nukem Forever was a dumb idea because the ending of Duke3D, where he shits into the final boss' throat, is as Duke as it gets. There's no way to top that game without going stale, instead they should have been perfectly in their right to make some ridiculous Duke spinoff games, like Duke Nukem Racing (although Death Rally existed I guess), Duke Golf, etc, that would have actually been the right move at that point.

the ending of duke3d is duke kicking the final boss' eye through the goalposts, the neckshitting is ep2.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It was essentially an upgraded version of the doom engine that let you stack rooms vertically, right? So even though it wasn’t true 3D compared to quake it still absolutely felt that way at the time

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It was essentially an upgraded version of the doom engine that let you stack rooms vertically, right? So even though it wasn’t true 3D compared to quake it still absolutely felt that way at the time

That's what I was getting at, being able to do actual vertical stuff instead of just using smart graphics tricks to make it look as such. Wikipedia mentioned being able to crawl around ducts/pipes as alternate routes through levels, which definitely would have made the game feel a lot different than Doom or Wolf.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

You could do that in Build but it was a kind of trick and not a feature of the engine, it had limitations too

In general the pre-Quake 3D engines were really cool, just for how they create a whole environment out of such limited information

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

In order of quality, SMB1 > SMB 2 > SMB3

In order of quality: 3>2>1

In order of importance to the game industry: 1>3>2

In order of fun to play: 2>3>1

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

is pepsi ok posted:

:agreed:

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

This is so cool, I'm gonna be messing around with this stuff forever now, thanks for the heads up!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

is pepsi ok posted:

I disagree, everything in Mario 1 is really incredible and people unfairly compare it to 3, which added more things and has its moments but also feels padded, floaty and a bit repetitive (I've said this before but my biggest problem with it are the many boring side scrolling levels, world 8 is especially a snooze).

Really, there's a reason Mario 1 was so popular. Just the simple breaking blocks or hitting them to make coins come out feels so good, in general environments are highly destructible, landing on goombas feels just right, making combos with koopa shells feels good, everything is exactly right.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Judging from how a lot of other nes platformers controlled, Mario's jumps must have felt completely sick when they came out, just mindblowing control fidelity.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

is pepsi ok posted:

If you add SMW it would be at the top of all three categories

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

no it wouldn't because SMW is ugly as sin and always has been

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

Judging from how a lot of other nes platformers controlled, Mario's jumps must have felt completely sick when they came out, just mindblowing control fidelity.

oh god I'm having flashbacks to the first NES Ninja Turtles game

food court bailiff posted:

no it wouldn't because SMW is ugly as sin and always has been

The reskin when you beat the star world was pretty cool though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SMW is better than 3 and I don't think it's ugly exactly but I agree it could've looked better. The best Mario graphics are Mario 2's.

SMW's real strength is the amount of secrets, I love secrets in games and the special zone had a really good reward for beating it too. The cape was a bad powerup though, but the leaf and the rabbit ears from 3 and Land 2 were bad too. Even the fire flower's kinda dubious, the best Mario powerup is the powerball from Land 1.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

SMW is better than 3 and I don't think it's ugly exactly but I agree it could've looked better. The best Mario graphics are Mario 2's.

SMW's real strength is the amount of secrets, I love secrets in games and the special zone had a really good reward for beating it too. The cape was a bad powerup though, but the leaf and the rabbit ears from 3 and Land 2 were bad too. Even the fire flower's kinda dubious, the best Mario powerup is the powerball from Land 1.

I only ever got to 86% when I was a kid :(

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My first mario game was Mario 64.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Almost every single game on the NES except for Mario 1,2 and 3 sucked fuckin rear end. Even Metroid which was cool for its time and better than anything else out concurrently sucked a heap of rear end. Not that the master system was better or anything, just as someone who lived through it, there were a bunch of bad games and then a billion movie/tv licenses that ripped off these bad games and managed to suck to an exponential power more

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Almost every single game on the NES except for Mario 1,2 and 3 sucked fuckin rear end. Even Metroid which was cool for its time and better than anything else out concurrently sucked a heap of rear end. Not that the master system was better or anything, just as someone who lived through it, there were a bunch of bad games and then a billion movie/tv licenses that ripped off these bad games and managed to suck to an exponential power more

Duck Hunt was the coolest part of Mario 1

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ebeneezer Splooge posted:

Duck Hunt was the coolest part of Mario 1

My first video games ever were Ice Hockey and the Duck Hunt/Mario combo for the NES, played on a TV that looked like this

I wanna say it was maybe two or three hundred years ago

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Did Duke3D have actual 3D level design? That might have helped differentiate it from Doom/Wolf3d.

In the sense that you could fly around in 3d? Yes.

In the sense that it was still old school fps mindfuck maps that you can't model in 3d because you can literally travel in a 360 loop and wind up in a different room?
No.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

none of the story in Fallout makes any sense if you think about it for 2 seconds. New Vegas is internally completely inconsistent if you take the DLCs into account. you have these two continent spanning civilizations fighting over a broken old hydroelectric dam. ok thats reasonable, but not when there is not one but two ultra high tech facilities just sitting around in the same area. why can't i walk up to general whatever and be all

"hey NCR guy, you should check out this place i found called Big MT its full of dozens of square miles of fully functional sci-fi technology. not even pre-war stuff, like better than that. trust me, hoover drat isn't worth it"

Both of those places are completely horrific deathtraps tho

The Divide has its main enemy group even be specifically NCR and Legion soldiers who fought over it and ended up turned into skinless ghouls as a result

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PinheadSlim posted:

My first video games ever were Ice Hockey and the Duck Hunt/Mario combo for the NES, played on a TV that looked like this

ReplayFX this last year had a retro corner by the board games that had a TV like this set up, an NES with Mario/Duck Hunt/Track Meet, some old framed family photos, wrestling magazines, TV guides, and a huge ugly plaid couch.

It was awesome.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

PinheadSlim posted:

Same, but it was Mario/Duck Hunt and Mike Ditka's Ultimate Football.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Morrowind is good enough such that no other game should be abbreviated MW ever. Modern Warfare can suck it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

doctorfrog posted:

Morrowind is good enough such that no other game should be abbreviated MW ever. Modern Warfare can suck it.

I just realised I've always read that as 'Morrowmind'.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Morrowind is a terrible name for a game, but excellent for reminding me to let loose a giant fart tomorrow.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

River City Ransom is pretty easily the best NES game AND has some of the best music.

Hell you could play this in a club,

https://youtu.be/uI4hC7G8BmA

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I played super mario world on the switch snes mini collection, never owned a snes growing up but i had a lot of fun with that game, enough to see it to the end.

Didn't really love any of the other snes games, lots of love for super metroid but the controls were far too floaty for me to stick with

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

is pepsi ok posted:

:emptyquote:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I played super mario world on the switch snes mini collection, never owned a snes growing up but i had a lot of fun with that game, enough to see it to the end.

Didn't really love any of the other snes games, lots of love for super metroid but the controls were far too floaty for me to stick with

Tried Kirby Super Star? Though as someone with near-terminal SNES nostalgia a lot is a bit tricky to get into if you're used to modern games. Though I bet a kid would be happy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

when i was a teenager i played super metroid on a computer keyboard. i did the same thing in college except mega man x1-3

i'm immune to weird control schemes

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Shibawanko posted:

Here's something that explains why Mario looks best in SMB2, because his sprite for SMB2 was made AFTER his sprite in SMB3

https://twitter.com/heyphilsummers/status/1085345828485693440

His follow-up tweets have some more details. SMB2USA came out October 9, 1988, and SMB3 came out in Japan October 23, 1988. Since SMB2USA was just an edit, and SMB3 was under development for over two years, production on SMB3 started well before before making SMB2USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Shibawanko posted:

I dunno what it is with Doom, something about the color scheme, the amount of hits enemies take, the mazey levels, it's not really enjoyable.

Duke3D though was fine, maybe because the levels are more clearly signposted and it's more like "if I blow up this wall I will end up in that theatre again" instead of "let's use the blue keycard to go into the next brown hallway", Duke feels more like you're in a real place

Duke3D's enemies take poo poo tons of ammo to go down as well, though :confused:

also Duke3D's levels might be less mazelike, but they feel really bland later in the episodes. Doom's level design embraces the engine's 2.5D weirdness.