Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Cycling in this poo poo sucks (Hollywood/Studio City).

Luckily tomorrow most of my commute is in Anaheim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The Reagan library burning is one of the last things you should want because it contains plenty of the documentary evidence of what kind of President he actually was (bad), and the less of that there is the more room there is for the hagiographic Saint Ronald of myth to propagate.

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

Kill Bristol posted:

The Reagan library burning is one of the last things you should want because it contains plenty of the documentary evidence of what kind of President he actually was (bad), and the less of that there is the more room there is for the hagiographic Saint Ronald of myth to propagate.

Having been to the Reagan library, non of that is actually on display. It's all saint Ronald propaganda. Burn it down.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
If the state enacted my Dirigible Housing Project this fire risk poo poo wouldn't matter. Everyone could ride the drifting air currents and watch as the ground far beneath them twists and chars under the intense heat of our sins.

VideoGameVet posted:

Cycling in this poo poo sucks (Hollywood/Studio City).

Luckily tomorrow most of my commute is in Anaheim.

I walk around 3.5 miles to and from work and man it's loving great. Love my lungs. This respirator -- gvs spr457 elipse p100 -- helps a lot, tho:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Wuet88 posted:

Having been to the Reagan library, non of that is actually on display. It's all saint Ronald propaganda. Burn it down.

The one time I went there it was full of stuff brought up from the Titanic... Didn't spend much time outside of that exhibit and the big hall with the plane in it.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

If the state enacted my Dirigible Housing Project this fire risk poo poo wouldn't matter. Everyone could ride the drifting air currents and watch as the ground far beneath them twists and chars under the intense heat of our sins.

I walk around 3.5 miles to and from work and man it's loving great. Love my lungs. This respirator -- gvs spr457 elipse p100 -- helps a lot, tho:

Thats a pretty decent looking mask. Probably time to upgrade my decade old one.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Does your old one use the screw on pink disks? Let me know how it compares in regards to how easy it is to breath in and comfort during physical exertion.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

If the state enacted my Dirigible Housing Project this fire risk poo poo wouldn't matter. Everyone could ride the drifting air currents and watch as the ground far beneath them twists and chars under the intense heat of our

One of the strongest arguments for taxing billionaires more is that not one of them has built a luxurious dirigible yacht in which they live imo. If they’re just going to do boring poo poo like have a big house I’d rather have healthcare.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Pairs well with a fine Korsendee Ultralux™ portable generator with a fine satin finish and HomeKit integration. Available now in the new Disaster Capitalism section for just $699.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wuet88 posted:

About the only thing worth it in that place was the 80 era Air Force One you can walk through.

You can crow about the docs and stuff, but that doesn't change the fact there's a whole exhibit and video display on how brave the Contras were in challenging the Sandanistas and how the poor president had no idea about the bad apples behind Iran Contra.

Basically the library is a hall for travelling exhibits with a chunk of space carved out for Reagan bullshit.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

CopperHound posted:

Does your old one use the screw on pink disks? Let me know how it compares in regards to how easy it is to breath in and comfort during physical exertion.
I'd be curious about this too, though I recommend the usual 3M 7000 series facemask: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUULW/
(That link is for the large size, other sizes have different product pages). However, the pink 2091 p100 discs are actually the old model p100 filters. New ones are the 2291 p100 that are white with pink webbing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHG2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They use 3 layers instead of 5 while supposedly achieving the same filter performance (or so the brochure says), and of course this makes it easier to breath. The webbing is to make them a bit sturdier. I noticed a difference though between the new ones and the older pink ones, and the new ones are indeed easier breathing
They also offer the 2297 P100 filters which have added Organic Vapor Nuisance Odor Relief and for some reason are slightly cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHH94/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
(While the p100 filter quality shouldn't have a shelf life, I think the Organic Vapor Nuisance Odor Relief feature does have a shelf life, though if they expire it just means that feature doesn't work afaik. Everything aside from the p filter rating has a shelf life iirc)

Though I ponied up and paid for a 3M Ultimate FX full face mask for whenever I have to do tractor work, and given my terrible allergies it gets used for any yard work that kicks up a bunch of stuff.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 31, 2019

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BeAuMaN posted:

I'd be curious about this too, though I recommend the usual 3M 7000 series facemask: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUULW/
(That link is for the large size, other sizes have different product pages). However, the pink 2091 p100 discs are actually the old model p100 filters. New ones are the 2291 p100 that are white with pink webbing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHG2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1...
Thank you for this info. I've been looking for pink disks out of habit.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Kill Bristol posted:

This is 100% not what the Reagan library is at all. Its basically what Fox News would build for Reagan and contains nothing of note or value. Even hoping for it to burn down is pointless as it could be easily rebuilt - its not like its some treasure trove of irreplaceable primary sources.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cheese posted:

This is 100% not what the Reagan library is at all. Its basically what Fox News would build for Reagan and contains nothing of note or value. Even hoping for it to burn down is pointless as it could be easily rebuilt - its not like its some treasure trove of irreplaceable primary sources.

I mean you're correct that the museum part is just propoganda but there are irreplaceable primary sources there: https://www.reaganlibrary.gov/archives/document-collections

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I just like the symbolism of the Reagan Library burning to the ground.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If the Reagan Library burned down, there would be an influx of cash to rebuild it faster than Notre Dame and we all know it.

Sure some primary source docs would burn up but that just destroys records that get in the way of Reagan's sainthood. I think symbolically we'd all cheer it but it'd be grosser to see the chocodile televagalist level tears pleading for free money.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

RevKrule posted:

If the Reagan Library burned down, there would be an influx of cash to rebuild it faster than Notre Dame and we all know it.

Sure some primary source docs would burn up but that just destroys records that get in the way of Reagan's sainthood. I think symbolically we'd all cheer it but it'd be grosser to see the chocodile televagalist level tears pleading for free money.

Well yea, since it turns out those billionaires didn't actually donate that money once people stopped paying attention

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/notre-dame-fire-update-big-donors-delay-fulfilling-pledges-to-rebuild-notre-dame/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah but OTOH Trump and every GOP senator you can think of absolutely melting down on twitter because Gavin refuses to have California front the cash for the reconstruction effort would be pretty funny.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

If the 2018 map here is accurate
https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Train-to-nowhere-Here-s-how-high-speed-project-13621347.php

San Diego to University City to Escondido?

LA to Burbank?

I don't recall the other problems that may have been at play, like slowing down to non-HSR speeds and whatnot.

Yeah, but there are a lot of deeper problems that lead to the strange routes into and out of the cities.

Going straight north out of San Diego runs you through long stretches of the coast where you can't add extra track that would allow HSR to get around local trains. You also couldn't electrify the rail because the rich people who live near that right of way would never let you build the overhead wires and spoil their view. LA is surrounded by mountains, so they either get to build a multi-billion dollar tunnel or fight a decades long legal battle with millionaires who are fighting the train because they're afraid it will frighten their horses. San Francisco is bounded by water on three sides and some of the most expensive real estate in the country on the other.

People love to point out how the route deviates from a straight line drawn between the three cities, but I never hear anyone actually explain how they would have dealt with the problems on the ground. Honestly, as far as I can tell, the route issue boils down to a bunch of bad faith arguments made by people would oppose HSR regardless of which alignment it used.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I had masks from 2017. Trjed to use them, seems like the particulates sitting in the mask melted them or soemthing because they arent filtering.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/simonsarris/status/1189229024951881728?s=21

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Didn't you just downplay the capitalism/pg&e crisis by playing up the local climate crisis? :frogout: troll.

On an unrelated note I'm curious what that looks like for Brazil with all the deforestation fires

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

uh...what is the takeaway i'm supposed to have here?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean you're correct that the museum part is just propoganda but there are irreplaceable primary sources there: https://www.reaganlibrary.gov/archives/document-collections
Sorry I meant more in response to Kill Bristol who suggested that those primary sources are important because they are proof Reagan was poo poo. Nothing in the Reagan Library, primary source or otherwise, is so kind of important historical smoking gun that must be preserved. We know Reagan was poo poo and there is nothing on display in there that is some kind of critical historical proof of his shittiness, without which future generations might think he was good. The whole thing can burn and it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Because the only bad thing about large chunks of our state burning is a temporary increase in carbon monoxide...

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheese posted:

Because the only bad thing about large chunks of our state burning is a temporary increase in carbon monoxide...

There are zero bad things about this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You are comparing CO released from wildfires to China's CO released from massive industrial pollution and nobody can tell what you are trying to say.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Dumb Lowtax posted:

On an unrelated note I'm curious what that looks like for Brazil with all the deforestation fires

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/chem/surface/level/overlay=cosc/orthographic=-55.21,-30.05,687

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Until China improves progress in America is unthinkable. It's so bad over there. Let's wait for them to be better first

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No no no, he's saying until China's improved, we shouldn't put out our wildfires, because the pollution from them is the compelling factor here and that amount of pollution just isn't significant compared to how much pollution from factories and power plants China is producing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Also, on that nullschool site, the eastern US looks way worse than China on CO2 outgassing

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ComradeArthur/status/1189914287126528000

Some good map comparison in the embedded tweets.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

... Is the OP of that thread actually arguing that the liberal dystopia caused PG&E to do this by not forcing them at gunpoint to maintain their lines?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The take is that PG&E spent it's tree trimming budget on "pie-in-the-sky" "liberal fantasy" green energy projects. That it was forced to do so by the corrupt liberal machinations of Sacramento, and that it's an "Ann Randian" Atlas shrugged scenario somehow.

It's an interesting take. Calling into question how PG&E spent it's budget, but didn't really do any leg work other then taking a very, very, political stand.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
It also presupposes that PG&E had a good maintenance and repair record until those evil liberals in Sacramento made them start spending money on chasing wild dreams like reducing global warming and not polluting the air.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I looked at that twitter thread and said to myself "did Apparatchik Magnet" post this and there you go.

Nice Pajama Media sources in there too.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I love the FOX article i saw on my feed stating thr fire was DERELECTION OF DUTY VIA GOVTs fault not climate change.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I love the FOX article i saw on my feed stating thr fire was DERELECTION OF DUTY VIA GOVTs fault not climate change.

I mean, if the government had jailed all of the executives every time it was discovered they had been intentionally underspending safety funds to give themselves larger bonuses, this probably could have been avoided

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Weembles posted:

Yeah, but there are a lot of deeper problems that lead to the strange routes into and out of the cities.

Going straight north out of San Diego runs you through long stretches of the coast where you can't add extra track that would allow HSR to get around local trains. You also couldn't electrify the rail because the rich people who live near that right of way would never let you build the overhead wires and spoil their view. LA is surrounded by mountains, so they either get to build a multi-billion dollar tunnel or fight a decades long legal battle with millionaires who are fighting the train because they're afraid it will frighten their horses. San Francisco is bounded by water on three sides and some of the most expensive real estate in the country on the other.

People love to point out how the route deviates from a straight line drawn between the three cities, but I never hear anyone actually explain how they would have dealt with the problems on the ground. Honestly, as far as I can tell, the route issue boils down to a bunch of bad faith arguments made by people would oppose HSR regardless of which alignment it used.

Once you get past Del Mar, most of the route is already double-tracked or can be.

As to Del Mar, they are considering tunneling out of the city because rising sea levels threaten the existing track.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol my mom, noted Amsterdam resident and confirmed Dutch person, is sending Facebook messages to me, a lifelong Californian, with advice on how to deal with poor air quality due to smoke, because she saw this article and apparently thinks I'm a dope.

I now fully expect to get a message after the next earthquake asking if I remembered to duck and cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CPColin posted:

lol my mom... apparently thinks I'm a dope.
Well, she does know you better than just about anyone else.