Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

TontoCorazon posted:

Didn't even occur to me that that'd work.

I remember a friend coming over, years ago and I had my ps4 controller pugged into the wall near me while playing to charge it and it blew his mind. It makes sense, it just looks pretty weird if you're not overly familiar with wireless controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I didn't know the circle was a thing, thanks. Also I'm not using headphones for two reasons - I'm very squeamish about horror stuff so with headphones it would be too much for me atmosphere-wise, and also I don't have PS4 compatible headphones.

You can plug any 3.5 jack headphones into the controller and use them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Note that not all mics will work because of jack standards, but the headset audio will at least.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I already have a good idea that I won't be able to handle it with the fidelity of headphones so I'm not going to bother, as I already know that auditory hallucination stuff plus accurate surround sound freaks me out badly, so I'll stick with the more mild version of the game. I don't want to put myself off of it entirely and I would end up doing just that.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I just barely dipped my toes into Outer Worlds, but I did make a pink-haired lady with a matching moustache. She's beautiful.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The Senua voices thing with headphones is also kind of important for combat since the voices can also warn you about the direction from which off-screen attacks and enemies come in. You're losing a decent part of the combat experience.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Honestly I was sceptical about the headphones thing in Senua, but it really does elevate the game above and beyond. They put so much care into getting that 3D audio right.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Senua's headphone use is pretty much essential for it, and not to get spoilery, it's not so much about intensity as it is that it uses positional audio more or less perfectly and for things that you can't really simulate by any other method. It's cool.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah it really doesn't use it to scare, its for atmosphere. And that's not meant with sinister connotations.

Ill be honest if it ends up freaking you out the game's just not for you because so much is baked into the audio that you might as well not play the game at all otherwise. The games themes, audio aside, only get more unsettling as it goes on so you kinda might as well not bother if thats a turn off from the get go.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll try the next leg of the game with Headphones, but if I'm right and it proves too much for me, I'll abandon them. I'm not going to sacrifice actually enjoying a game for some nebulous idea of "Playing it right" that I might not enjoy.

Headphone usage is very much an intrinsic part of the game's design. It's not a nebulous thing like "you must use this one character build/party makeup".

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

RoboRodent posted:

I just barely dipped my toes into Outer Worlds, but I did make a pink-haired lady with a matching moustache. She's beautiful.
Shame you'll basically never see your own character. At least followers remove their helmets in conversations.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Shame you'll basically never see your own character. At least followers remove their helmets in conversations.

I've only just finished the first colony but my favorite little thing in the game so far, you can toggle it so that you and your followers' helmets are invisible in the options menu.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yo if you think that headphone usage will detract more from your playing of Senua than it will add, then dont use them. They add a lot, but even without them the game holds an excellent experience within it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there an at all convenient way to use bluetooth headphones on an Xbox? Hellblade's on my list but the only good pair I have are my Bluetooth Bose ones

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Retro Futurist posted:

Is there an at all convenient way to use bluetooth headphones on an Xbox? Hellblade's on my list but the only good pair I have are my Bluetooth Bose ones

Short answer is no. Wires only, Xbox does not have Bluetooth connectivity for headphones.

Long answer is yes, maybe, if you either go through some list of steps you find online, or possibly with purchase of some kind of Bluetooth connector.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

PancakeTransmission posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a setting for that in the options.

e: yeah you can choose whether helmets appear or not but you still pretty much don't see your character most of the time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Retro Futurist posted:

I finally figured out to just do a headphone setup with my TV, you can get a bluetooth adapter that just plugs into the standard audio out. So much easier than fiddling with whatever console/laptop/whatever is plugged into it, just get the sound from the TV itself.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Oct 31, 2019

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

ArchRanger posted:

I've only just finished the first colony but my favorite little thing in the game so far, you can toggle it so that you and your followers' helmets are invisible in the options menu.
Sorry if it wasn't clear, I did mean "at least followers [do] remove their helmets in conversations". Didn't know there was an option to turn it off, as it must be default!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
There is an option for helmets off in conversations, and helmets off all the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Defunct on PS4 and it's really cute. You play as a broken robot who escapes his transport ship and goes on an adventure. You have multiple tools some of which work with each other, some of which work against each other it's all about terrain and timing. There is a gravity well that pulls you down that speeds you up on a downhill slope, or if you are on a bounce mat it adds force to your jump to allow you to jump higher, there is a jump and double jump, a broken engine that allows you to putter uphill for runups/gravity boosts back down and you can magnetise yourself to stick to metal walls/ceilings.

Also rather than failing if you fall, there is a basic beginners route on most of the linear levels, so you can do the big stunt routes if you can pull them off, but if you fall off, oh well, nice try, you don't get the collectible. If you don't want to waste time trying to backtrack you can try again on a replay of the level. Also many levels have a bonus level that branches off of it into a dead end if you can find the entrance. I haven't been able to get to any, because I'm not good enough yet, but they seem to be dead ends that serve as playgrounds to get collectibles for advanced players. But due to the beginners routes the flow is fairly uninterrupted, with a few large mandatory playgrounds to solve basic puzzles in to give the players that suck time to get better at advanced movement as that's how you reach the buttons. It's very fast paced, the critical route is very very fast, but the levels outside of it are huge with many opportunities to get fancy and many places to hide collectibles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On the subject of Hellblade, Ninja Theory just announced that they're continuing to collaborate with Paul Fletcher at Cambridge University for... some kind of immersion therapy for mental health via video gaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUBbMkOC2Q

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I'm excited for it. Videogames are something ADHD people can focus on, and I'm hoping it can help me process poo poo and coach me through it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I saw something about using VR to treat PTSD, and I know it’s been used for some phobias like a fear of heights for ages even back when it was rather primitive. It’ll be interesting to see what they can do with it in the future.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's really cool, and I wish them the best of luck.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm playing Hellblade with headphones, and it's fine so far, I'm not bothered by it like I was worried I'd be. That's all though, just... fine. It's an impressive use of surround sound and the choirs singing the boss themes are kind of cool. There are downsides though, like the headphones are heavy on my head and it's a bit annoying. Just at the bridge of knives and the reveal that Senua's at her home village this whole time

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm playing Hellblade with headphones, and it's fine so far, I'm not bothered by it like I was worried I'd be. That's all though, just... fine. It's an impressive use of surround sound and the choirs singing the boss themes are kind of cool. There are downsides though, like the headphones are heavy on my head and it's a bit annoying. Just at the bridge of knives and the reveal that Senua's at her home village this whole time

She's not. A key part of Hellblade is you are watching her active mental state, and it is not a happy or healthy place.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She's not. She is not mentally sound, and is trying to cope with grief.

Ah ok. Also to be fair to the game it's probably because everyone hyped playing it with headphones as some kind of amazing thing that I'm finding it underwhelming. The headphone thing was overhyped to the point that really I feel I'm only doing it out of obligation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Ah ok. Also to be fair to the game it's probably because everyone hyped playing it with headphones as some kind of amazing thing that I'm finding it underwhelming. The headphone thing was overhyped to the point that really I feel I'm only doing it out of obligation.

You are experiencing what she has to live with every day. Welcome to psychosis.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't know if it's because I have all the other mental illnesses but not that one, but I found Hellblade really boring and quit at the bridge part. Maybe i should give it another go?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I remember playing it and just feeling more and more annoyed (not exactly sure at what tbh, the voices and all wasn't grating or anything that I remember) until I stopped and refunded it. Only got through the chapter/area with the comical eyes effect. I was in a different mental state at the time, and got the game again from a bundle so I'll prolly give it a try again eventually, but my first impression wasn't that positive. IIRC besides the eyes that looked like something from a cartoon everything looked very nice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I remember playing it and just feeling more and more annoyed (not exactly sure at what tbh, the voices and all wasn't grating or anything that I remember) until I stopped and refunded it. Only got through the chapter/area with the comical eyes effect. I was in a different mental state at the time, and got the game again from a bundle so I'll prolly give it a try again eventually, but my first impression wasn't that positive. IIRC besides the eyes that looked like something from a cartoon everything looked very nice.

THat's actually kind of realistic - when I was a kid I had a trick of the light from my bedroom door and window give me a small visual hallucination that made it seem that a pair of eyes were at the foot of my bed on the wall - those eyes did also look very simplified and cartoony. The main problem i'm having is the enemies have too much health so combat's a little annoying at times when there is a lot of it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure you're talking about a hallucination and not an optical illusion? Cause the couple of times I've had hallucinations as a kid they looked/felt pretty real.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Are you sure you're talking about a hallucination and not an optical illusion? Cause the couple of times I've had hallucinations as a kid they looked/felt pretty real.

Probably was just an optical illusion yeah, I was just pointing out that I have seen cartoony imagery as a result of trickery of the senses.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
My favourite little thing about Senua is that one of the sound designers DJs at the local goth night.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BioEnchanted posted:

THat's actually kind of realistic - when I was a kid I had a trick of the light from my bedroom door and window give me a small visual hallucination that made it seem that a pair of eyes were at the foot of my bed on the wall - those eyes did also look very simplified and cartoony. The main problem i'm having is the enemies have too much health so combat's a little annoying at times when there is a lot of it.

You're supposed to do a lot of cool attacks by sprinting, parrying and combination attacks.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

On a bit lighter note, E Gadds run animation in Luigis Mansion 3 is perfect.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So in earlier releases of Skyrim Requiem, in the opening sequence in Helgen, if you chose lock picking as one of your first three perks you'd be able to get into the jail cells next to the torture room and find an ebony dagger hidden in the straw piles. Some players complained that this was a bit too much of an early game reward, so now when you go to that same straw pile and hover your mouse over it it'll say *pick up Daedric dagger*, but if you do you get a book called "Daedric Dagger" all about the love and pain associated with having and losing a pet dog. It's a very sweet troll :3

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

cosmosisjones posted:

On a bit lighter note, E Gadds run animation in Luigis Mansion 3 is perfect.

Oh poo poo this released today! Tell us more plz.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yeah! Is it closer in structure to 1 or Dark Moon? I loved both, but preferred the OG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Warbird posted:

Yeah! Is it closer in structure to 1 or Dark Moon? I loved both, but preferred the OG.
much closer to 1, everything is set in one big building, but the floors are pretty distinct and don't have much crossover. It's no longer mission based and you don't teleport back to the lab after every goal which is nice