Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

God damnit I'm going to have to get an HBO Max account. It's looking like they're pandering to the "manchildren who still like cartoons" demographic pretty hard.

So is Disney+. Manchildren are a lucrative demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Makes sense, both companies have absolutely enormous animation libraries, and it's about time both properly began exploiting it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One good thing about HBO Max is that if you're already paying for HBO separately through HBO Now you get it for free.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
HBO GO
HBO NOW
HBO MAX

HBO Go gently caress yourselves

I already have HBO GO and all this poo poo is just making me want to cancel entirely

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like this is basically the streaming companies slowly reinventing the cable TV network system since traditional cable companies hosed themselves by deciding to be satisfied with a stagnant equilibrium. All these new services you have to buy separately are a lot like what cable was before bundling.

Of course, I don't think any attempts at bundling these new services are going to work much, since unlike the early days of cable, alsmost all of these big streaming services are owned by huge corporate conglomerates that are vertically integrated every step of the way, so I'd expect them to try leveraging what control they have to stamp down on competitors rather than being open to making deals with some third party trying to bundle everything.

Maybe something will happen to disassemble these massive companies and we'll get a new network systems that provides wider access, or maybe one day everything will be owned by one single company that will only need one subscription but also won't bother to make all their material accessible at once.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Zaphod42 posted:

HBO GO
HBO NOW
HBO MAX

HBO Go gently caress yourselves

I already have HBO GO and all this poo poo is just making me want to cancel entirely

actually apparently if you have GO or Now you're gonna get Max for free

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

actually apparently if you have GO or Now you're gonna get Max for free

Really? I mean that's cool but what even is Max if that's true?? :psyduck:

So MAX is less than NOW?

I'm so confused

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

So MAX is less than NOW?

I'm so confused
It seems like Max is basically a replacement for now/go, but because of the complexity of the current situation with people subscribed through different channels and the software changing, they won't immediately discontinue now or go in the short term.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
HBO remains unavailable in Australia :(

Let me give you my money :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mystes posted:

It seems like Max is basically a replacement for now/go, but because of the complexity of the current situation with people subscribed through different channels and the software changing, they won't immediately discontinue now or go in the short term.

Okay, that's what I originally hoped was happening but the language and marketing are weirdly not clear about it and made it sound like they wanted to have 3 tiers of service or something crazy like that

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Zaphod42 posted:

So MAX is less than NOW?

I'm so confused
Third base.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

It's like Villainous and tumblr had a baby. Overly busy, doesn't direct the eye well and doesn't linger on its payoff frames long enough. It's as pleasant as watching a strobe-light.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm 80% sure they're advertising that show exclusively through low-effort memes.

Which seems like how you'd reach its target demo, tbh.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Come And See posted:

It's like Villainous and tumblr had a baby. Overly busy, doesn't direct the eye well and doesn't linger on its payoff frames long enough. It's as pleasant as watching a strobe-light.

I wanted to like this but, yeah, that was pretty much my opinion of it, too.

Though, I was almost hoping for more of an Ugly Americans version of hell rather than the 'ADHD children who swear' version Hazbin Hotel went with.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Eh, I liked what I saw in Hazbin Hotel, willing to give it a go.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I like the styles Hazbin is copying, but they're currently copying them a bit too hard. I think it'd be pretty interesting to see how the show evolves if it gets picked up

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

This was made by furries wasn't it

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

this is the gay content I am looking for, yes thank you

Bro Dad posted:

This was made by furries wasn't it

just maybe a couple

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Come And See posted:

Yeah, plus the animation is kind of varied too. At times it's like every animator was trying to one-up each other in each tiny cut and fit in as much movement as possible, but then at times it's like they just went "good enough" after the first pass. If it was consistent you could at least call it a stylistic choice but like the busy designs, backgrounds and saturated colors it seems more like inexperience and lack of restraint to me. Combine with writing and storytelling on a level that's basically what a teenager thinks an adult cartoon should be like and that's about it, there's really nothing left that can salvage it.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Hazbin Hotel reeks of rule 34 creepiness.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Ruflux posted:

Yeah, plus the animation is kind of varied too. At times it's like every animator was trying to one-up each other in each tiny cut and fit in as much movement as possible, but then at times it's like they just went "good enough" after the first pass. If it was consistent you could at least call it a stylistic choice but like the busy designs, backgrounds and saturated colors it seems more like inexperience and lack of restraint to me. Combine with writing and storytelling on a level that's basically what a teenager thinks an adult cartoon should be like and that's about it, there's really nothing left that can salvage it.

The animation reminds me of Becky Prim, in how the characters have highly expressive faces that give you a sense of their character. Except in Hazbin Hotel everyone has the same expression of cat eyes and chain chomp teeth even when it doesn't make sense in context (Like why does the main character constantly flash devil horns and evil eyes during her song about being a better person?).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheHan posted:

The animation reminds me of Becky Prim, in how the characters have highly expressive faces that give you a sense of their character. Except in Hazbin Hotel everyone has the same expression of cat eyes and chain chomp teeth even when it doesn't make sense in context (Like why does the main character constantly flash devil horns and evil eyes during her song about being a better person?).

Because she’s a demon too and suppressing it except when excited. Also the chain chomp teeth are actually pretty well designated to power or inorganic characters.

The only characters with that smile are Charlie (princess of hell, daughter of Lucifer and Lilith), Alastor (the most powerful character in the show so far who believes that smiling is a sign of strength), Lucifer (see both Charlie and Alastor), a TV Demon (all signs point to him being the primary rival of Alastor) and the Angels (Lucifer and Charlie are both fallen angels as well)

Personally I rather enjoyed the show and pulling apart the character design stuff that they did a surprising amount of work on. Lucifer and Charlie both look like porcelain dolls because Lucifer is the first and most beautifully perfect Angel of Heaven. The whole thing has a manic energy that reminds me of Invader Zim or Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, the creator of the latter voices a bit part in this show, specifically the “Wow, that was poo poo” line.

It’s a fun time and whilst I do see some room for improvement it’s certainly an impressive pilot given the year of work put into it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Narratively, sure, I can buy that I guess. But just from a character design standpoint, you just gave a bunch of your main characters the same feature and it kinda dilutes the effectiveness. Plus there’s the snake character, Nifty and a bunch of random extras (“That was poo poo” guy does it, guy in the car at the beginning).

Also I don’t think any of those explanations were mentioned in the episode? I feel like a pilot shouldn’t have required reading attached.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's more about interpretation, I actually forgot the "that was poo poo" guy and some of the extras but that particular smile isn't one Nifty makes, she makes other smiles but the huge full teeth one is relatively unique. It's also a sort of, visual this is hell thing though I guess?

Anyway, I appreciate the attempt they've made even if it isn't perfect, and I'm hoping they get the ability to make more faster, because as it is now the next episode won't come out for a year if they don't find someone to actually produce/pick up the show.

This thing has been in visible development for quite a while, with short snippets of this episode posted to the youtube as they've been completed and a bunch of extra info presented in blog posts and the such. I'm assuming a lot of that information will come to light in future episodes because there's a lot of already existing "info" about the show just from the creators talking about what they're doing and why they're doing it with the characters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does Daria count for this? Either way, rewatching the finale movie and noticing there's an ongoing theme of at least half the cast having some personal crisis or another and the other half trying to help them, with varying results, but enough that it seems like a theme.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/GetDisneyPlus/status/1193532913972891652?s=20

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My main take on Hazbin Hotel is that it doesn't really seem to have anything useful to say on the topic of "rehabilitation" and I don't really have any reason to believe it's got anything better waiting in the wings.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'd be perfectly happy with a Hazbi series, I think, but I don't think given its production lead time, that one will ever happen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just got around to watching it and my only problem is that it seems to be... I can't describe it, trying too hard? A lot of the jokes are actually decent, but they almost never take a beat to let a joke hit. Although, a lot of the humor seems to be edgy for the sake of edgy? Like, everything the Angel character says is bad. Like, just awful. I don't know, it's a pilot, I suppose if they ever do more they could iron out the kinks.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I just watched the Hazbin Hotel pilot and while it was definitely uneven and playing to all the furry beats I honestly enjoyed some of the designs and I like the premise. Whenever more comes out I’ll watch it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I've seen a premise like this a thousand times on deviantart, it only makes sense that one of them would get picked up to become a final product one of these days.

The animation is weirdly...jiggly. The graphic style's not my thing, although I'm sure it's up some people's alley. That's a LOT of red though. Flourescent monochromatic color schemes get tiring to me.

Oh god, now it's the pink and cyan and now my eyeballs hurt.

Rand Brittain posted:

My main take on Hazbin Hotel is that it doesn't really seem to have anything useful to say on the topic of "rehabilitation" and I don't really have any reason to believe it's got anything better waiting in the wings.

You'd think that if the reward for reformation was heaven, that'd be some draw on its own. Or that there'd be some bigger implications about being the eternal afterlife and whatnot. I'm not really sure what morality the show's going with if alcohol counts as sinful, and that's a pretty important thing that the show's resting on.

And without the fantastical elements, it's a high status white girl in the ghetto. Not that anybody comes off as nonwhite, for better or worse.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I am really good on Hazbin Hotel. The pilot wasn’t perfect but I liked it more than I assumed. In a nutshell, I enjoyed the world, liked the characters, and would like to see where this story would go if it was picked up. It’s a cool concept and while wasn’t explanation where the story could go with the premise, I’m still curious.

Some of the humour was eh like Angel Dust’s “Hurt me daddy” joke but some of the humour was very good like when Alastor asks Angel Dust what does he do and Angel answers “I can suck your dick” and Alastor’s “HA! No.” is so perfect.

There’s a value to what Hazbin Hotel is doing here. People call it tryhard and edgy when the whole point is subverting edginess. It’s literally about Charlie, who’s pretty much a Disney Princess in Hell, trying to redeem the awful people around her. The very spirit of the show is combating against that edginess.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I definitely don't think they're trying to subvert edginess, everything from the aesthetics to the dialogue to the merchandise is edgy and the pilot still framed the terrible characters' terrible behaviors as the parts that make them entertaining. There's clearly a market for this type of stuff so I don't feel like there's any sense in hiding behind subverting anything.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The animation is weirdly...jiggly. The graphic style's not my thing, although I'm sure it's up some people's alley. That's a LOT of red though. Flourescent monochromatic color schemes get tiring to me.

Oh god, now it's the pink and cyan and now my eyeballs hurt.

Yeah the one part of the pilot I outright hated is the character and color design. Every main character uses a slight variation of red white and black in their color scheme. Three of them are blonde with white skin in red shirts? It's like a causal TF2 game in here. And a lot of the extras are so over designed that animating them must take years off peoples' lives. If somehow this were picked up by a network there'd either be some massive revisioning or the budget of a small nation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, it's set in Hell. The whole thing is everyone wallows in their worst behaviours because there's no incentive to do anything else. Which I have a feeling is something that people on the internet can relate to.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, it's set in Hell. The whole thing is everyone wallows in their worst behaviours because there's no incentive to do anything else. Which I have a feeling is something that people on the internet can relate to.

I get that, but if the show's supposed to actually be even slightly actually committed to this whole rehab concept, they need to show that there's a chance it'll work.

Don't get me wrong, awful people being awful can be entertaining. For example, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is one of my favorite shows, The Gang ruins decent peoples' lives, but the important distinction there is that The Gang are the protagonists, the good people are punchlines and then go away the next episode. If Charlie's gonna be the main protagonist of Hazbin, the show needs to show that it isn't ultimately gonna be about a Disney princess getting her dreams stomped on. But again, it's the pilot, if more gets made, I feel like the show can work out any kinks, it definitely shows enough promise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I just got around to watching it and my only problem is that it seems to be... I can't describe it, trying too hard? A lot of the jokes are actually decent, but they almost never take a beat to let a joke hit. Although, a lot of the humor seems to be edgy for the sake of edgy? Like, everything the Angel character says is bad. Like, just awful. I don't know, it's a pilot, I suppose if they ever do more they could iron out the kinks.

Yeah, I like the idea, the setting, some of the designs and art and animation even, but it just feels SO edgy, and not just that, but edgy in this really lazy, repetitive, cliche way. Its edgy in an angsty teenage shortand way, where you're like, being edgy out of obligation, not because you have a unique creative message that happens to be edgy.

It just feels like a group of teenagers all trying to one-up each other. I'm the darkest, and the evilest! No I AM the most evil! No you guys, you don't understand, MY OC is actually the most evil of them all. But they're so cute, you'd never guess! Hahahaha I'm so quirky and random! Its a bunch of jokes that have been in-breeding in tumblr or whatever as meme-ideas for too long.

But maybe I'm just not the target audience, that's fair honestly. It makes me think of like, JTHM. But its way tamer than that, so it just like, plays constant lip-service to being evil and edgy to fit in but isn't actually all that edgy really?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TwoPair posted:

I get that, but if the show's supposed to actually be even slightly actually committed to this whole rehab concept, they need to show that there's a chance it'll work.

Don't get me wrong, awful people being awful can be entertaining. For example, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is one of my favorite shows, The Gang ruins decent peoples' lives, but the important distinction there is that The Gang are the protagonists, the good people are punchlines and then go away the next episode. If Charlie's gonna be the main protagonist of Hazbin, the show needs to show that it isn't ultimately gonna be about a Disney princess getting her dreams stomped on. But again, it's the pilot, if more gets made, I feel like the show can work out any kinks, it definitely shows enough promise.

Well for one thing, Angel Dust actually does already show that he's not quite as far gone as he portrays. His helping of Cherri Bomb is a redeeming quality, and he actively pulls her out of danger and nearly comforts Charlie when he realises how badly he hosed up but doesn't.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's also not great as a pilot, since it doesn't give an adequate idea of what the show proper would be like. Is it going to be about finding some kind of nugget of good to foster, or is it going to just be a dark comedy about everything being bad? The afterlife aspect is confusing since there's no real reference to people having done something in life they have to atone for, and there's not exactly a confirmation of the existance of heaven? And then a couple people mock the idea of dying in hell, which seems to contradict the event that the hotel is supposed to prevent. It's also a...bold decision if they're planning to do multiple songs each episode.

It works as a first episode, but a pilot's job is not supposed to be to start a story, it's to be a proof of concept to pitch around. Although maybe they're not even hoping to get picked up by a real network, maybe they're trying to just go direct to the internet for everything.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I kind of assumed that Charlie's idea of a rehab hotel was supposed to be wildly naive and the actual rehabilitation is going to be more grounded and realistic? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
No way this show’s going for grounded and realistic. The bad people are a cartoon’s version of a bad person, they’re as over the top of ridiculous as the concept. And, like, going to rehab to get better isn’t a ludicrous concept.

And what, is Angel Dust being promiscuous and a sex worker part of his sins? A porn studio is prominently displayed so is being involved in it the sin or is it that stigmatization leads to rampant exploitation of workers? Doing drugs is sinful but you’re not gonna address how they’re highly addictive and made readily available to the community (In vending machines!)? They’re absolutely going for the fun edgy Rick & Morty sinful.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 11, 2019