Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This is a very weird comparison to make, but I feel like every random NPC student in Cold Steel 3 gets more character development than any social link from any Persona game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Clarste posted:

This is a very weird comparison to make, but I feel like every random NPC student in Cold Steel 3 gets more character development than any social link from any Persona game.

They definitely get similar amounts of dialog lol

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
NPCs in Cold Steel are actually allowed to be involved in the plot and have lives outside of their interactions with the MC as opposed to being completely sequestered away from everyting like the S. Links/Confidants where they completely lose plot object permanence outside of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also they dont exist to tell the MC that he's a very special boy and are also allowed to have flaws and stuff.

Caphi posted:

That was probably my problem with Cold Steel. Playing in Japanese was just enough second language friction that wading through all the fluff chatter became a slog instead of something to idly flip through, which adds up since there's so much talking in between anything happening.

But also, the idea of missing hidden missions was stressful enough that I ended up playing it with a guide open, which is not an experience I enjoy.
tbh i played cs1 in both jp and english and, i also think the translation (at least in the first two cold steel games) improves the writing of cold steel a fair bit. characters read better and rean's a better character, esp. since he has way more voiced lines. I'm JSL too so I can't exactly say this definitively or anything, and it's definitely not a 'CS1 was garbo in JP' thing, just that I think the translation made some mild improvements that went a long way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Characters in social links don’t really get much character development they mostly do tasks that go nowhere and you can easily skip them and miss nothing. Which is weird as you would assume social links would create like an arc or something but nah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is another thing where i feel like the series has been going backwards since persona 3. most of the p3 s. links at least sort of had an arc, (esp. the p3p ones), some of the p4 ones did, basically none of the p5 ones did. like in p3 there's that kid who you get to stop hating her parents, that kid with cancer who you help cope a little, that drunk-rear end monk who decides to call his ex-wife, etc. it's not deep or anything but its at least 'they started here, now they're here.'

in p5 nobody really feels like they change. ig the closest is kawakami? but since shes a gameplay mechanic even she winds up in the exact same place.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Yeah, also in P3 wasn't the Moon link kinda lovely just cause the guy was an rear end in a top hat, but also you keep him from joining the death cult by doing it? Like that was pretty cool

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nate RFB posted:

NPCs in Cold Steel are actually allowed to be involved in the plot and have lives outside of their interactions with the MC as opposed to being completely sequestered away from everyting like the S. Links/Confidants where they completely lose plot object permanence outside of them.

Also in Xanadu, plus that your party members have their own little adventures without the MC that makes them stand out more

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Clarste posted:

As of Cold Steel 3 they're even playing the whole "oh look, it's Bob the random NPC you talked to over and over again!" like you're meeting an old friend and surprisingly it works.

There's this NPC you meet really early on in the first Trails in the Sky game, you do a sidequest with him. He shows up again in the next game, and at first I didn't remember him but then I was all "Oooh yeah, it's you."

Well, he's sitting in an inn in Cold Steel 3 and when I saw his name I raised my fist and shouted "Yes!" because I was all, yeah, I know that guy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They should bring back the Merchant woman from the sky games she was cool, it was nice to see her rise in the world of merchant-y

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

This video has spoilers for the first of three FF14 x Nier crossover raids namely that the final boss is 9S so if you're actually gonna play it don't click. Everyone else should listen to the boss theme it's a medley of Nier and FF songs most prominently Weight of the World and Prelude and it loving slaps.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I understand why SE insists on people showing gameplay footage with any music posted on youtube, but it makes it really hard to just go LISTEN TO THE COOL MUSIC for spoiler things like final bosses and Yoko Taro's Wild Ride.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've been listening to the song on repeat since I woke up while the video is on another tab

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015

Endorph posted:

this is another thing where i feel like the series has been going backwards since persona 3. most of the p3 s. links at least sort of had an arc, (esp. the p3p ones), some of the p4 ones did, basically none of the p5 ones did. like in p3 there's that kid who you get to stop hating her parents, that kid with cancer who you help cope a little, that drunk-rear end monk who decides to call his ex-wife, etc. it's not deep or anything but its at least 'they started here, now they're here.'

in p5 nobody really feels like they change. ig the closest is kawakami? but since shes a gameplay mechanic even she winds up in the exact same place.

I mean, this is pretty much true of all characters in P5, even outside of Social Links. The closest anyone comes to a comprehensive arc is Futaba, but only for her dungeon and even then its rushed, and Ryuji, and his just barely makes any sense.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Favourite PS3 link was Hermit, where you form an anonymous parasocial relationship with your Composition teacher in an online game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Favourite PS3 link was Hermit, where you form an anonymous parasocial relationship with your Composition teacher in an online game.

I know it was only because he already had a love interest but I really did like how the femc's s-link with Junpei was entirely platonic.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

is it really a parasocial relationship when you make a friend in an MMO, i thought that was just like getting too attached to a youtube star or w/e

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah a parasocial relationship is a relationship where the other party literally doesn't know you exist but you're still expending energy on them. it doesn't mean 'stuff that happens online' lol

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Sometimes Food posted:

This video has spoilers for the first of three FF14 x Nier crossover raids namely that the final boss is 9S so if you're actually gonna play it don't click. Everyone else should listen to the boss theme it's a medley of Nier and FF songs most prominently Weight of the World and Prelude and it loving slaps.

The song sounds like an extra track for Xenoblade Chronicles X or something you'd expect to hear during a big panoramic shot of a fight in Attack on Titan.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The song sounds like an extra track for Xenoblade Chronicles X or something you'd expect to hear during a big panoramic shot of a fight in Attack on Titan.

yeah nier has really good music

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nier has amazing music, FFXIV has amazing music, together they have like super loving amazing music.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I thought the P5 npc social links still had a bit of arcs insofar as you learn a little about them, you go do something, then they have a problem, you resolve the problem, then they turn into a gameplay mechanic. But like didn't nearly everyone fit into this template? Once you experienced like three or four you kind of knew how the rest went.

I honestly don't remember a thing about the party member social links though. I seem to recall they acted very differently in the social link scenes than they did during the main plot?

Man that game. Good music and style but eh...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Nier has amazing music, FFXIV has amazing music, together they have like super loving amazing music.

Nier and FFXIV music isn't truly together, not until we get Nier buttrock.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The only thing I remember about P5 social links is that Haru is the only one who seems actively crushed if you reject her romance, and that felt pretty surprising

She's back to normal the next day of course

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stelas posted:

The only thing I remember about P5 social links is that Haru is the only one who seems actively crushed if you reject her romance, and that felt pretty surprising

She's back to normal the next day of course

She's the only person who is your age and has literally nobody else. Maybe hifumi?

Friends aside, Futaba's got her dad, Ann's got both her parents, Makoto's got her sister. Haru doesn't have any family at age... 17-18?

Makes sense from that perspective I guess.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leraika posted:

I understand why SE insists on people showing gameplay footage with any music posted on youtube, but it makes it really hard to just go LISTEN TO THE COOL MUSIC for spoiler things like final bosses and Yoko Taro's Wild Ride.
I think it technically only requires gameplay footage in general, but it seems the bigger FF14 Music guys on youtube do it by just muting everything but the music and recording their game. As I remember checking the actual policy, using a loop of your character doing the Manderville Mambo somewhere unremarkable would also satisfy it but that needs more editing.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
doing it in the actual fight also gets you #clout because you can do it the moment the fights out instead of trying to a role, or as mentioned spend the time editing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

:hmmyes: I hadn't thought about that but it's a good point.

... oh man i wonder if we'll somehow get a Weight of the World/Maker's Ruin mashup out of this raid

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you fool. you buffoon

weight of the world/land

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aurora posted:

you fool. you buffoon

weight of the world/land
my musical skills are limited but I don't think those would mix very well together even if their titles are a hilarious match

EDIT: hell i'm not even sure weight of the world and maker's ruin would go together

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bards Tale IV's balance is all over the dingdong place but they didnt even try with certain leveling choices.

Combat in the game is you get a pool of action points that refreshes to full every turn and choose how to spend those points across your whole party. A few character archetypes have a skill that gives you more of these permanently and passively. There is no reason to ever choose anything else until you have those skills maxxed out, and since the designers had to account for you not having them each one is like taking an elbow to the difficulty from the top rope.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Reminds me of the DS RPG Sands of Destruction.

In theory: You could level up your attacks separately, choosing between a strong, slow attack, a normal attack, and a fast attack that hit multiple times.

In practice: You maxed the fast attack asap, slapped a bunch of attack boosts on, and absolutely shredded bosses because building evenly is for suckers.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

"Double check the action economy" should be near the top of any RPG design document.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Nate RFB posted:

That's kind of the flaw with the Persona social links; they're segregated from the main plot because they have to make sense no matter where in the plot you are (because you can complete them in any order), so they can't impact the main plot too much, nor can they be affected by said plot. Persona 5 has a few links which are gated by plot progress (for instance, Sojiro's link gets walled off past a certain point until Futaba joins you), but not nearly enough.

This also has the effect of any romantic relationships you form being acknowledged only at a few particular points.

Haven't played Cold Steel, but I'm guessing that the progression of its social link-like system is based more on where you are in the main plot, rather than a linear mini-narrative.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not really social links don’t have much plot relevance but NPCs don’t go by a social link mechanic only your party does

The NPCs function mostly like most games treat NPCs but their dialogue changes constantly

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 31, 2019

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

Bards Tale IV's balance is all over the dingdong place but they didnt even try with certain leveling choices.

Combat in the game is you get a pool of action points that refreshes to full every turn and choose how to spend those points across your whole party. A few character archetypes have a skill that gives you more of these permanently and passively. There is no reason to ever choose anything else until you have those skills maxxed out, and since the designers had to account for you not having them each one is like taking an elbow to the difficulty from the top rope.

Breaking game balance over your knee is a pretty normal part of the Bard's Tale games. See: swapping casters back and forth between classes constantly in 1-3 to end up with max stat demigods. Or hunters with their eventual 99% crit (instant kill) rates. I still haven't gotten around to playing 4 despite being a backer. Is the Bard Sword still in game and give infinite song usage to the bard wielding it?

Silversword on mobile, being a Bard's Tale game that barely sharpe's over the serial numbers, has some similar breakage and bullshit like dark rooms that spin you and deal damage over time and spin you again if you open a menu to look at a map to orient yourself( :wtc:).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is as far as I am aware no Bard Sword in the game. Im approximately 80% of the way through but sidequests are handled kind of not great so ive not been doing much of them so its possible its hidden behind one of those.

The directors cut version thats out now is quite fun, and Im told a good improvement over the base game not that I played it, so I dont see a reason not to. I think of the games in the genre I played this year Operencia is a better game overall even if its combat is less involved because its a tighter experience and the action economy isnt weird but Im enjoying bards tale IV quite a bit.

I have powerful opinions on what I want from a bards tale V though, microsoft

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Wyvernil posted:

Haven't played Cold Steel, but I'm guessing that the progression of its social link-like system is based more on where you are in the main plot, rather than a linear mini-narrative.

You're right, the way it works in Cold Steel is that all NPCs are doing their own thing depending on where you are in the plot, and for "social link" ones you can choose whether or not to hang out with them on that particular day when they're doing that particular thing anyway. Their personal story advances with or without you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Free Day sidequests also often tie in to their ongoing stories too for when they actually need outside help with something. Especially the Hidden one in each period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I literally started Cold Steel 1 this morning and my FOMO is real when it comes to RPGs. Anyone got a good guide for these hidden quests?

Thanks~!

40-Degree Day fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 1, 2019