Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

E: guns ARE fun. Too bad about all the .. ehh

Just like with motorcycles, the other hobbyists are the worst part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I went to Gray's Harbor ORV Park with my buddy, the big MX track is closed for the season, but they have this cool vintage/winter track that's all woodchips, some wide two-track that was insanely wet, with loving ridiculous huge clay hillclimbs that had us basically laying on our bikes to get enough traction to the rear to move forward, and enough traction on the front to steer. Then you can ride to all the awesome trails in the capitol forest.

We hit the track first, it's a weird woodchip surface, I'm still warming up and not feeling it much, we hit the racecourse, and then some awesome trails for awhile, all's good.

Head back to the track to cap the day off, I'm feeling good, digging out of ruts, hitting some small doubles, easily keeping up with my buddy who's a B/sometimes A rider (because his YZ blew the shock trail riding, and the FE is perfect) then I hit a jump, land poorly, in a muddy rut, and the bike just loving stops, I got forcible ejected, and landed right where the bar-end meets my bark buster with my knee, slid right over the plastic of my kneeguards and all 240lbs of Elviscat came down on that little aluminum corner.

Dragged my bike out of the track, recovered for a few minutes, took the next jump, and realised that I couldn't stand on the bike.

Huge, bleeding abrasion/bruise on my knee, could barely walk Sunday, with a huge swollen spot on my knee the size of a softball, but I'm recovering quickly.

TL;DR, learn to dirtbike when you're 14 and 160lbs, not 29 and 240lbs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

drat that sounds like so much fun I can see why you guys do it!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What part of this doesn't look fun?

(I really enjoy Enduro obsticals, because my giant size and strength give me an advantage over all but the best riders, who just float over everything)

It's a challenge, and challenges can be enjoyable, I usually liken it to snowboarding, I spent a season sucking, being beat to poo poo constantly, the first time I tried it, I couldn't get out of my recliner at home, so I just fell asleep in it, now I'm pretty drat good at it, years later, and I love floating over any terrain I choose, fast and effortlessly.

I've been dirt biking less than a year, so 12 year olds are still dunking on me on their 80cc bikes, but sometimes I get the same feeling, where the mind clears, every corner flows together in a rhythm, you're in total control and everything is effortless, you hit horrible, rutted, whooped out terrain and you hit it at the perfect speed so that you're skimming over the top and your bike is level, and the suspension I'd barely even upset.

Sometimes I can't stand when I know I should be, and I crash, and get the absolute poo poo beaten out of me.

But when you ride with a capital-G Good rider, and you watch them manipulate their bike like an extension of their body, like a Trials rider and you realize that achieving that perfect, mind-blanking, rush is just around the next corner.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Elviscat posted:

What part of this doesn't look fun?

(I really enjoy Enduro obsticals, because my giant size and strength give me an advantage over all but the best riders, who just float over everything)

It's a challenge, and challenges can be enjoyable, I usually liken it to snowboarding, I spent a season sucking, being beat to poo poo constantly, the first time I tried it, I couldn't get out of my recliner at home, so I just fell asleep in it, now I'm pretty drat good at it, years later, and I love floating over any terrain I choose, fast and effortlessly.

I've been dirt biking less than a year, so 12 year olds are still dunking on me on their 80cc bikes, but sometimes I get the same feeling, where the mind clears, every corner flows together in a rhythm, you're in total control and everything is effortless, you hit horrible, rutted, whooped out terrain and you hit it at the perfect speed so that you're skimming over the top and your bike is level, and the suspension I'd barely even upset.

Sometimes I can't stand when I know I should be, and I crash, and get the absolute poo poo beaten out of me.

But when you ride with a capital-G Good rider, and you watch them manipulate their bike like an extension of their body, like a Trials rider and you realize that achieving that perfect, mind-blanking, rush is just around the next corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkhR-zhxzig

This looks incredible and I wish I had the talent and opportunity to learn to do this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MetaJew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkhR-zhxzig

This looks incredible and I wish I had the talent and opportunity to learn to do this.

There's even worse out there. While I can't do that, I've never come in last since I've owned my Husky, because no matter what, someone else is a little less tough than I am, and doesn't finish the race, I always finish, even if I'm torn up and have a flat tire.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Godspeed Elviscat, when will everyone learn not to touch the D&D poop? Seemed like the mod took his comment the wrong way and gave a way too harsh penalty, but I stay far away from that forum.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
They even commented "I am genuinely disappointed no one reported this post" without a hint of self-awareness to boot. Is it modding D&D that makes people crazy or the other way around?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
LK is a bit weird sometimes. A month away from something awful never hurt anyone though. Have fun riding biek instead of posting Elviscat!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
We can finally post about how much better the CRF450L is than the FE450!

Farrrrr more reliable. Huskies are basically walking ticking bombs.*

*the ticking is their valves just slowly wearing through the top end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Farrrrr more reliable. Huskies are basically walking ticking bombs.*

*the ticking is their valves just slowly wearing through the top end.

Hohohohooo how's it going my poo poo bike sense started tingling, guess who's rebuilding an rc390?

Guess who's not paying $LOL for the model-specific genuine KTM only flywheel puller that only works on the 390 and no other bike in existence, rendering it useless to anyone who doesn't rebuild 390's (this includes the dealer :downs:)? And finally, guess who thought it was a loving stellar idea to put a sensitive plain bearing bottom end in a cheap learner single, shove that in a bike mostly held together with cable ties and cheese, then build it with slaves?

I'm sure the 401 is like totally way better though right? It's so pretty :ohdear:

And now for the cold(er) water: got a Hyosung gd250 X4 kicking around as well atm. It is genuinely 100% no BS a better bike, cc discrepancy aside, than the KTM. If I had to pick one, I wouldn't hesitate.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Hohohohooo how's it going my poo poo bike sense started tingling, guess who's rebuilding an rc390?

Guess who's not paying $LOL for the model-specific genuine KTM only flywheel puller that only works on the 390 and no other bike in existence, rendering it useless to anyone who doesn't rebuild 390's (this includes the dealer :downs:)? And finally, guess who thought it was a loving stellar idea to put a sensitive plain bearing bottom end in a cheap learner single, shove that in a bike mostly held together with cable ties and cheese, then build it with slaves?

I'm sure the 401 is like totally way better though right? It's so pretty :ohdear:

And now for the cold(er) water: got a Hyosung gd250 X4 kicking around as well atm. It is genuinely 100% no BS a better bike, cc discrepancy aside, than the KTM. If I had to pick one, I wouldn't hesitate.

401 is super pretty so it will be fine.

Let us know how pulling the flywheel without the tool goes. :ohdear:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

builds character posted:

401 is super pretty so it will be fine.

Let us know how pulling the flywheel without the tool goes. :ohdear:

I pulled the flywheel on my 625 SMC twice with a harbor freight cheapo puller tool. Sometimes I was worried I damaged something on that bike, but someone dumber than I had royally hosed something in it because there were some chips or something on the flywheel, and the oil was always glittery when I changed it. What a piece of junk, and a foolish choice of a first bike.

Edit: I just remembered that I tried buying some aftermarket puller tool for KTMs, but apparently the only engine it didn't work on was the LC4. Nice.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

builds character posted:

I've seen very little market feedback about the 450l yet. Is it slightly too expensive?
It looks great (on paper)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the 450L has stupid low service intervals. I sure as poo poo wouldn't buy it as a dual sport for any real amount of travel use, but that's my only complaint about it

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I mean my xr650r supposedly also has 600 mile intervals but anecdotally I've heard them last 100k+m with an oil change every 10k so

(please don't mistreat your bikes this way)

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 1, 2019

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
At least one guy has ridden the 500 EXC-F around the world. There's the motonomad guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhWR5jjGzfM who did 7k km (bonus 75hr teardown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGL_I5KhjJY). Purely anecdotally it seems like at 350h they can use a new piston and at 700hrs you have to rebuild the engine but that's just from what I've read on various forums.

Really, my point is just that the service intervals for the KTM street legal dirt bikes (350/450/500) are for racing and the honda's look to be more for dual sporting but I think both can be stretched to an oil change every thousand miles if you're just riding around and not screaming against the limiter. But, by the same token, these aren't bikes that will last 100,000 miles. Although, I do have a friend with a beta 520 that's at ~20k miles. He has replaced the piston once.

Shelvocke posted:

I've seen very little market feedback about the 450l yet. Is it slightly too expensive?
It looks great (on paper)

It seems like it's a good bike. It's not any more expensive than the bikes it's competing with so... yeah, they're expensive. I wish they were cheaper but what can you do? It's ridiculous that you're able to buy a 50+ hp bike that weighs 250 lbs and can do just about anything.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IMO all those bikes are massively overbuilt for 90% of riders and the service intervals are worst case scenario stuff. Nobody abuses their poo poo the way a mx racer riding someone else's bike does.

Unless you have a 300exc or crf250 or rmz250 in which case RIP.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This double post brought to you by HRC:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

IMO all those bikes are massively overbuilt for 90% of riders and the service intervals are worst case scenario stuff. Nobody abuses their poo poo the way a mx racer riding someone else's bike does.

Unless you have a 300exc or crf250 or rmz250 in which case RIP.

I read/heard somewhere that the 250 SX/MX bikes are made to last just slightly more than exactly one race. I don't know how true it is but those things are ridiculous.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The titanium valves that last like 100hrs support that yeah.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone have a Dainese Assen perforated jacket? I just impulse bought for 30% off and I guess worst case I just return it if I don't like, but curious about any firsthand reviews.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I need to get a non-perforated jacket, because I’m loving freezing half the time. I need to experiment with layering more to add warmth without adding bulk. I have been so far unsuccessful.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Martytoof posted:

Anyone have a Dainese Assen perforated jacket? I just impulse bought for 30% off and I guess worst case I just return it if I don't like, but curious about any firsthand reviews.

I do. What do you want to know?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brigdh posted:

I do. What do you want to know?

Specifically around the non-stretchy stretch areas around the arms/shoulders. Does it fold comfortably? Other than that, just any thoughts off the top, gripes, etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

I need to get a non-perforated jacket, because I’m loving freezing half the time. I need to experiment with layering more to add warmth without adding bulk. I have been so far unsuccessful.

I was riding around 5-6c in my textile Dainese Super Speed tex which is basically Swiss cheese and I was pleasantly surprised in how manageable it was. But underneath was definitely layers and bulk. Thick hoodie and base layer. My 48 somehow didn't feel too stuffed despite all the added padding, but I can certainly see how the additions would bother someone.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Martytoof posted:

Specifically around the non-stretchy stretch areas around the arms/shoulders. Does it fold comfortably? Other than that, just any thoughts off the top, gripes, etc.

Yes. I don't notice those.

I probably would have gone with a tall version if it existed. For me at 6'2", the sleeves are shorter than I'd like. Doesn't come with a pants half of the waist zipper. You can buy a union belt to get that, but I'd probably just suggest replacing the waist zipper anyways. I don't notice any airflow issues or anything so long as I'm moving. I feel like as long as you keep in mind that its on the lower end of the scale for a leather jacket (particularly Dainese), its a good piece of gear.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Comprehensive, thanks!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

I read/heard somewhere that the 250 SX/MX bikes are made to last just slightly more than exactly one race. I don't know how true it is but those things are ridiculous.

Colin Chapman once said that if your car made it round the lap of honour it was overengineered.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Dainese Assen 48 I just got feels so much snugger than my Dainese Super Speed Textile 48. I guess leather is just naturally less forgiving, but I alllmost wish I’d bought one size up. Wearing thick layers with this one is going to be trickier, but should be fine once the temperature stabilizes into perforated leather territory.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

The Dainese Assen 48 I just got feels so much snugger than my Dainese Super Speed Textile 48. I guess leather is just naturally less forgiving, but I alllmost wish I’d bought one size up. Wearing thick layers with this one is going to be trickier, but should be fine once the temperature stabilizes into perforated leather territory.

It will loosen up and stretch over time. You get used to it. Also brush off the dirt and run a slightly damp cloth over it occasionally. Then when dry, put leather conditioner on it maybe once or twice a year depending on how often you ride.

Personally I think loose fitting leathers are a bad idea. Easier for it to ride up on you or move the armor around in a crash.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Started shopping for some basic luggage today and I'm paralyzed between tank bag, tail bag, or backpack. Tank bag and tail bag both see more convenient for casual rides but I'm not sure either one would work for commuting (which is 100% optional for me) since I need to fit a 15.6" laptop but I also don't want to commit to 100% backpack only. My tank cover is plastic so it's either straps or a ring lock which seem slick but expensive.

Right now I'm thinking a Kreiga R25 or R30 backpack, and a couple ROC straps and a bungee net to strap it to the tail when I'm on longer weekend rides. Seems like the best compromise but idk how it will work in practice.

Eventually I plan on getting a soft saddlebag set for actual touring trips but for now I just want to be able to go to a store and buy some stuff

e: I ended up buying a Kriega US-30, which should do everything I need my luggage to do, for now. I think eventually I'll pick up a Givi tank ring tank bag setup as well but for now the dry pack should work.

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 9, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Started shopping for some basic luggage today and I'm paralyzed between tank bag, tail bag, or backpack. Tank bag and tail bag both see more convenient for casual rides but I'm not sure either one would work for commuting (which is 100% optional for me) since I need to fit a 15.6" laptop but I also don't want to commit to 100% backpack only. My tank cover is plastic so it's either straps or a ring lock which seem slick but expensive.

Right now I'm thinking a Kreiga R25 or R30 backpack, and a couple ROC straps and a bungee net to strap it to the tail when I'm on longer weekend rides. Seems like the best compromise but idk how it will work in practice.

Eventually I plan on getting a soft saddlebag set for actual touring trips but for now I just want to be able to go to a store and buy some stuff

Handling and safety-wise a tank bag is always best, but is also the ugliest and often the least convenient. Have you looked at the various systems that clip to a mount that you bolt onto your fuel filler? That solves the convenience problem at least (and you can freak people out by telling them that the mount is an ashtray).

I used the Givi Tanklock system with an XS208 (now discontinued, the XS307 is the nearest replacement) for years on my Shiver (can't be arsed with it on the Ducati as I no longer have to carry as much stuff) and it would fit a 15" laptop with plenty of room left over for waterproofs etc - the only real problem with it was the bottom was hard plastic and I was always a little paranoid it would scratch up the paint if the bag flexed in the wind, so I stuck some window insulation tape on the edge just in case. As far as I can tell it never did actually move that much, and the mounting system is a million times more usable than the various strap-based systems.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FBS posted:

e: I ended up buying a Kriega US-30, which should do everything I need my luggage to do, for now. I think eventually I'll pick up a Givi tank ring tank bag setup as well but for now the dry pack should work.

Magnetic tank bags are p. sweet. They’re just a moto purse that’s always right there. Map pockets on top are good too if you’re into paper maps. Or parking passes, place for your phone, pictures of your cat. Mine always has a Clif bar, heat wrap, first aid kit, stickers to put in bathroom stalls, zip ties, etc. Just make sure you keep a microfiber in it to wipe any grit off the side that attaches to the tank.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I got myself a bike about 2 years ago, and with it a full set of gear, including some Alpinestars SPX Air Carbon gloves (size medium). I liked them well enough, but they seem to have shrunk. I can't fully make a fist when wearing them, and when I take them off after riding my hands are mostly white from the loss of circulation. They weren't like this when I bought them, is this a thing that happens?

Obviously, I've been looking at replacements, probably a full gauntlet design from Alpinestars, but do I need to be worried about this shrinkage? Should I buy a size up?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
My alpinestars gloves shrunk a bit too, come to think of it. So .. maybe?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

If you grip the bars too hard you might bulk up your hand muscles, making your gloves seem smaller.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Theoretically, if you condition your gloves they shouldn't dry and shrink too much. I do my A* SP2s a couple times a year with Bickmore's Bick 4 and they seem to be retaining their size.

Do you sweat a bunch? If they're getting wet inside from that, it could be causing them to shrink when you take them off and they dry.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I dont know how it took so long for me to discover leather conditioner. I just assumed leather had a finite lifespan and eventually it all aged, dried out and cracked. Now I use leather cleaner and conditioner on all my stuff to keep it in healthy shape, especially once I bought a nice pair of expensive leather boots. I've also gotten rid of a lot of leather gloves that shrunk due to getting wet and drying out after, thus shrinking. A little leather conditioner will go a long way to preserving their pliability and prevention of cracking/shrinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Alpha Phoenix posted:

If you grip the bars too hard you might bulk up your hand muscles, making your gloves seem smaller.

Always jack off viciously before trying on new gloves so as to you replicate how pumped you are on the bike.