Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

Not true. Wind and solar electricity are both cheap. That's a pretty good reason to use them. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the cost of wind and solar electricity is still dropping.

Given that wind and solar electricity is cheaper than nuclear electricity, would it really be that wasteful to overbuild wind & solar?

Yeah, it seems to me that there would be an important role for natural gas plants in a hypothetical future US electricity generation scenario which largely consists of intermittent renewable resources, if it truly is wildly uneconomical/not possible to ramp nuclear power plants up and down quickly. If so, there really wouldn't be much point in building new nuclear power plants.

Natural gas is no-go. Period.

And you seriously dont understand this: There is no point in ramping a nuclear plant up and down, why do you insist on this? Its nonsensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

And you seriously dont understand this: There is no point in ramping a nuclear plant up and down, why do you insist on this? Its nonsensical.

Ok, maybe you'll get it on my sixth post on the subject: in a hypothetical future world where the US's electricity is largely coming from wind & solar, absent other ideas mentioned in my earlier posts, a complementary technology is needed to be able to supply electricity when the intermittent sources cannot. If nuclear electricity cannot be this complementary technology, then it seems like other technologies, like electricity generated from natural gas, would have an important role to play.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Natural gas is perfectly fine in one of its current uses - which is largely making a bunch of what were once coal plants somewhat less dangerous to all global life before they get decommissioned entirely. It's not good as something to expand outside of the contexts of coal plant conversions.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Build more nuke

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Ok, maybe you'll get it on my sixth post on the subject: in a hypothetical future world where the US's electricity is largely coming from wind & solar, absent other ideas mentioned in my earlier posts, a complementary technology is needed to be able to supply electricity when the intermittent sources cannot. If nuclear electricity cannot be this complementary technology, then it seems like other technologies, like electricity generated from natural gas, would have an important role to play.

The solution may be embracing a world of cheap overcapacity. Just have something for that excess to do - crack water for hydrogen, desalinate seawater, charge batteries, whatever. Total capacity equals maximum grid demand + a safety margin.

As consumer load changes, the amount of capacity committed to those other uses declines, but all sources (wind, solar, geothermal, nuclear) are always just cranking out the maximum. Rather than building enough capacity to meet demand, build so much capacity we have to start finding useful things to do with all the plentiful, cheap electricity we've got lying around.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

silence_kit posted:

You've basically got the cart before the horse here. I get what you're trying to say, but you look at it from a perspective of 'we produce this much power, variable sources can do the rest' rather than 'we need this much power to cover it when variable sources drop'
In the cases you're discussing, if we rule out nuclear, then I'd first look at hydro, but then your choices become very limited. I don't believe tidal has ever worked on a large scale - anyone?
Which pretty much leaves you with gas and coal.
Nuclear would be my preference, not just because of the fully sick failure states, but because as I've mentioned in the past, it's as close to a free energy source as you're ever going to get.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

silence_kit posted:

Why are you repeatedly asking for a weird intermittent power generation source to supply the grid when the other intermittent sources fail? Do you not get what people mean when they say nuclear is a "baseload power source" or what?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

You don't need to ramp nuclear power up or down, you can just do something else with that power during periods of low demand.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Hell, you can literally just waste it if you need to.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

silence_kit posted:

Even in your hypothetical world it makes more sense to use a base load than it does to fire up a nation's worth of peaker plants when the winds die down. That being said, this thread appears to be a bit outdated when it comes to nuclear plant load-following - modern designs are quite capable of ramping power quickly and efficiently (indeed some are actually faster than natural gas plants). As France and Germany have transitioned to more intermittent sources of power, their nuclear plant operators have learned to become more flexible. In your hypothetical United States, the same would be the case.

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/how-market-forces-are-pushing-utilities-to-operate-nuclear-plants-more-flex/427496/

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The candu option really seems dead simple, reactor at 100%, dump heat you don't need directly into the condenser. Good article.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

angryrobots posted:

That's a lot of power. Even your smallest genset will be expensive to replace with something renewable/battery powered. What's the run time for whatever it is you are powering?

It is basically the power generation for a mid sized isolated mine. The large sets (6 x 4 MVA MAKs) supply the plant (97% runtime) and core infrastructure (admin, workshops, clinic, workers camp, water treatment, etc). The mobile gen sets are for all the satellite stuff - local gendarme barracks, isolated offices, intersection/flagman lighting, pumps, local village construction team, etc. Most run around the clock (variable load depending on work / air cons) except the 650 kva sets which are standby for the camp and operate <1% of the year.

In reality the 650's are going to be left alone but driving a vehicle out to every other mobile generator once or twice a day is what I am trying to reduce. I had a look online following the prompt from this thread at hybrid power and I need to educate myself some more but it doesn't look to be a no-brainer (all the generators already exist and will not be due for replacement soon).

We are looking at building/opening another mine site in the next couple of years so maybe build the knowledge to first fill the requirement with hybrids from the start would be the goal.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

It is basically the power generation for a mid sized isolated mine. The large sets (6 x 4 MVA MAKs) supply the plant (97% runtime) and core infrastructure (admin, workshops, clinic, workers camp, water treatment, etc). The mobile gen sets are for all the satellite stuff - local gendarme barracks, isolated offices, intersection/flagman lighting, pumps, local village construction team, etc. Most run around the clock (variable load depending on work / air cons) except the 650 kva sets which are standby for the camp and operate <1% of the year.

In reality the 650's are going to be left alone but driving a vehicle out to every other mobile generator once or twice a day is what I am trying to reduce. I had a look online following the prompt from this thread at hybrid power and I need to educate myself some more but it doesn't look to be a no-brainer (all the generators already exist and will not be due for replacement soon).

We are looking at building/opening another mine site in the next couple of years so maybe build the knowledge to first fill the requirement with hybrids from the start would be the goal.

Possibly a hybrid system to store some power via battery could save some fuel, but I don't think you'll be going to a fully renewable system with those power requirements for some time.

Is this mine site so isolated that building a power line from wherever is closest, is completely out of the question?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Possibly a hybrid system to store some power via battery could save some fuel, but I don't think you'll be going to a fully renewable system with those power requirements for some time.

Is this mine site so isolated that building a power line from wherever is closest, is completely out of the question?

Almost always yes

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
This was a good video on pumped hydro posted today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66YRCjkxIcg

Also, there is a very good Youtube channel called The US Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board

they make post-mortems on industrial accidents. They commonly have energy sector related videos that discuss details , safety, and hazards involved in the energy sector.

They posted this yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zDcsjHyxr8

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 31, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This is why stop work authority is given to every person on a drill site at reputable companies, whether they're an employee or not. You also need a culture of safety though to actually make people use it.

*edit*
that pumped hydro video is pretty good

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 1, 2019

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

MomJeans420 posted:

This is why stop work authority is given to every person on a drill site at reputable companies, whether they're an employee or not. You also need a culture of safety though to actually make people use it.

*edit*
that pumped hydro video is pretty good

*stops work due to unsafe practices*

*work continues with the same unsafe circumstances the next shift*

1 week later: I'm sorry MomJeans Fourtwenty, your services are no longer required at Jnco.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Marxalot posted:

1 week later: I'm sorry MomJeans Fourtwenty, your services are no longer required at Jnco.

Oil companies do seem to stop work a lot and pay absolutely ridiculous expedite fees to get stuff out there to fix it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
ime "this is beyond unsafe and I'm not doing it" gets you replaced with someone who will

It sounds like you're talking about equipment that already failed

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1190094817084051456

I can drop bricks on a gas turbine, check mate, enviroweenies.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
now he can post the video where the solar panels just burst into flames on their own

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Marxalot posted:

Hence why I said reputable companies, go work for a major and you'll wish you had less safety (no really, you will)

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1190094817084051456

I can drop bricks on a gas turbine, check mate, enviroweenies.

If you pause it right at 9 seconds it looks like it has already been cut?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

silence_kit posted:

The energy generation megathread attracts spergs like moths to a flame, and they will never answer your question because there isn't an answer that they actually like.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

MomJeans420 posted:

The energy generation megathread attracts spergs like moths to a flame, and they will never answer your question because there isn't an answer that they actually like.

Kaal posted:

Even in your hypothetical world it makes more sense to use a base load than it does to fire up a nation's worth of peaker plants when the winds die down. That being said, this thread appears to be a bit outdated when it comes to nuclear plant load-following - modern designs are quite capable of ramping power quickly and efficiently (indeed some are actually faster than natural gas plants). As France and Germany have transitioned to more intermittent sources of power, their nuclear plant operators have learned to become more flexible. In your hypothetical United States, the same would be the case.

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/how-market-forces-are-pushing-utilities-to-operate-nuclear-plants-more-flex/427496/

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MomJeans420 posted:

It also attracts people who assume willingness to pay for massive changes to the energy infrastructure on a very short timeline at a ruinous cost and think that's a reasonable answer; see above.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Hence why I said reputable companies, go work for a major and you'll wish you had less safety (no really, you will)

If you pause it right at 9 seconds it looks like it has already been cut?

It's a Jack O'Lantern, of course it's cut.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

Natural gas is perfectly fine in one of its current uses - which is largely making a bunch of what were once coal plants somewhat less dangerous to all global life before they get decommissioned entirely. It's not good as something to expand outside of the contexts of coal plant conversions.

Except for the fact that fracked natural gas in the USA has sufficient leaks to negate the advantages of natural gas-fired plants. For the first 20 years., CH4 is 70x more effective for greenhouse effects than CO2.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
What we need is cheap energy store tech.

You don't need to worry about kg/kwh-capacity so you're not limited to LiOn Batteries, although reusing cycled vehicle batteries when they are no longer optimal for that purpose makes sense.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Yeah, there's cheap, and there's cheap enough to matter on the scale we are worrying about, and I'm not sure that's available.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Joey Steel posted:

Yeah, there's cheap, and there's cheap enough to matter on the scale we are worrying about, and I'm not sure that's available.

Ok, so let's take pumped storage as an example:

Pumped hydro boasts a very low price per megawatt hour, ranging from about $200/MWh to $260/MWh. ... According to the Lazard's Levelized Cost Of Storage report, capital costs for pumped storage projects around the world range from about $1.5 million to $2.5 million per MW installed.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

VideoGameVet posted:

Pumped hydro boasts a very low price per megawatt hour, ranging from about $200/MWh to $260/MWh. ... According to the Lazard's Levelized Cost Of Storage report, capital costs for pumped storage projects around the world range from about $1.5 million to $2.5 million per MW installed.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to be explaining unless there's a typo between MW and MWh? A big reservoir might hold a million MWh worth of water at some elevation, but the size of the channels and pumps/generators still limit the MW throughput. A big mechanical turbine can be expensive completely aside from the engineering to build a reservoir.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to be explaining unless there's a typo between MW and MWh? A big reservoir might hold a million MWh worth of water at some elevation, but the size of the channels and pumps/generators still limit the MW throughput. A big mechanical turbine can be expensive completely aside from the engineering to build a reservoir.

One is the cost of electricity vended.

The other is the CAPEX of the plant itself.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGameVet posted:

Trump is building a wall around Colorado so that we have enough land area for pumped storage to matter.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

MomJeans420 posted:

Largely correct, but it depends on the company. I'd name names but lol

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

The presuppositions of the question don't make sense, it's like asking "if physics didn't matter could we create infinite energy?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

Versus the guy ignoring the fossil fuel industries long and sordid history of outright fabrication and lying.

TEL, lying about AGW, lobbying against emissions standards, and here you are telling us to trust them again. Are you loving high?

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Versus the guy ignoring the fossil fuel industries long and sordid history of outright fabrication and lying.

TEL, lying about AGW, lobbying against emissions standards, and here you are telling us to trust them again. Are you loving high?

It doesn't matter that they lie, what needs to happen isn't going to happen. This is all fantasy wanking about necessary solutions that cannot and will not be implemented.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

It doesn't matter that they lie, what needs to happen isn't going to happen. This is all fantasy wanking about necessary solutions that cannot and will not be implemented.

Ah cool, another stage of Global Warming Denialism:

"Yes its happening, yes its our fault, yes we could've done something, but its too late we're hosed."

I wasn't aware blatant surrender was the purpose of this thread rather than proposing actual solutions. Of which Natural Gas will never be one of the solutions that will tackle climate change. And what you are basically saying is nothing matters, which is a pretty poor point of discussion.

I love the nihilism of your post: "Yeah, well, they lied over and over, but whatever we gotta live with it"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 2, 2019

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

VideoGameVet posted:

Mind linking to the report you are reading? I'd like to have some real world stuff bedtime reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Ah cool, another stage of Global Warming Denialism:

"Yes its happening, yes its our fault, yes we could've done something, but its too late we're hosed."

I wasn't aware blatant surrender was the purpose of this thread rather than proposing actual solutions. Of which Natural Gas will never be one of the solutions that will tackle climate change. And what you are basically saying is nothing matters, which is a pretty poor point of discussion.

I love the nihilism of your post: "Yeah, well, they lied over and over, but whatever we gotta live with it"

Do you scream at your doctor about “Eternal Life Denialism” and rant about your plan to replace all your organs every 30 months.