Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think that's the main reason most of parliament was so opposed to making Corbyn PM for two days to send a letter to the EU - a temporary caretaker PM is still PM and has the power to get access to ourwarcrimes.txt and read it into hansard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm somewhat dubious about noted parliamentarian jeremy corbyn's willingness to do that sort of disclosure but I do think it's necessary if you're going to break the idea that the british imperial penchant is cool and good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's funny that best for Britain's lib dem voting guide is now going to take the blame if Boris gets a big majority

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ffs

https://twitter.com/CCriadoPerez/status/1189826307317784577?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is the lib dem lying bullshit gaining larger traction then?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

EvilHawk posted:

I absolutely love how we are days into this campaign and it's the loving Yellow Tories who have been caught out shamelessly trying to lie to the voters. Meanwhile Labour are raising insane amount of money, seeing huge spikes in membership, and Momentum is doing the same. Have the Tories even acknowledged it?

They're still opening up the crypts to wake up their membership to go campaigning.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That they've been caught doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. Has the fact that they're doing this poo poo spread among the people it's likely to trick?

Too early to say, I think, but after a day every Lib Dem tweet is being flooded with replies calling out their lies, so they're pretty hosed in online outreach. It's the talk of the town for the politically-engaged. It may well bypass those who aren't, but a fair few of those politically engaged people will be canvassing for Labour and will have a bee in their bonnet about demonstrable Lib Dem lies. So I suspect this will hurt the Lib Dems' ground game too, although they probably haven't thought that far ahead ;)

There's a big difference between being caught out after the votes have been counted and being caught before they're even cast. The Lib Dems, running on a platform of "No we're not liars stop Brexit", have managed to make their current lies a major story almost instantly. Who knew that maximum duplicity was offputting to voters?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Is the lib dem lying bullshit gaining larger traction then?

It's all over twitter at least

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm somewhat dubious about noted parliamentarian jeremy corbyn's willingness to do that sort of disclosure but I do think it's necessary if you're going to break the idea that the british imperial penchant is cool and good.
"Jeremy Corbyn generally voted for a transparent Parliament, while most Labour MPs generally voted against." remains one of the most telling things about the institutional opposition against him, but I agree.

There was a similar sort of opposition to David David Davis MP becoming Tory leader because if he won he would disclose all the terrorism files that are necessary for Britain to keep sponsoring terrorism, but I think if that happened he would have somehow forgot to.

also loving :lol: at :clegg: being the political talk of the day one day into election.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Depending on what the Brexit Party says they'll do tomorrow it might be necessary to grind the lib dem vote down to nothing so I'm happy with things so far.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1189836144588066821?s=20

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The fact that we're even talking about it is a big step. It's quite hard to force a genie back into the bottle.

And if the establishment is pulling out all the stops because they're afraid we might do this, why not do it? It's not like they'll say "Oh, I guess the left won't expose our crimes after all" and go easy on us next election.

What would help our struggle more than exposing the dreadful crimes of the Tories, Lib Dems and New Labour? That's most of the people in Parliament who are currently waging total war against the left ;)

No quarter. No trust. They forfeited both long ago, and they've demonstrated many times over that they wouldn't give them to us if they had the opportunity.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 31, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Depending on what the Brexit Party says they'll do tomorrow it might be necessary to grind the lib dem vote down to nothing so I'm happy with things so far.
There's already been a BXP candidate announced for my constituency (East Midlands, been blue since forever) so if they're only going for Northern Lab seats they've hosed up.

Then again Lib Dem Big Brain Voter says I should be voting yellow even though UKIP got more votes than the piss diamonds in 2015 so lol. (what a poo poo constituency)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The most successful messaging I've found so far is "if not for Tory austerity, about 200,000 people would be alive who are now dead. That's 1000's of empty spots on the sofa, 1000's of people starting to make two cups of tea before realising their mistake, 1000's of people rolling over in bed and reaching out for someone who isn't there, 1000's of families missing someone this Christmas who should still be with them. And this is when the tories were on form, never mind the chaos of recent months." The most negative response I've had so far is "I need to think about this" from someone who told me in 2017 he couldn't see himself ever voting not tory, never mind voting labour. It's a powerful message.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We're talking about it but I'd be surprised if the labour leadership is, even given corbyn's personal politics. I agree that it would be good in the long term, but institutional resiliance is all about filtering out that kind of impulse.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It has come to my attention that SA has added a bunch of new smilies that would be very helpful to users over the course of this election campaign. As a public service I am highlighting them below:

:centrism:

:cloud:

:cursed:

:dehumanize:

:dogwhistle:

:gaysper:

:hmmno:

:ice:

:justtrans:

:liberalism:

:redflag:

And finally this one is not political but will be much beloved all the same:

:catte:

Please enjoy these smilies and use them at your leisure :)

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Speaking of big brain Lib Dems.

:stare:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Sanford posted:

1000's of people starting to make two cups of tea before realising their mistake
This made me tear up you fucker, and I'm due to indoctrinate the youth teach in 20 minutes.

(about the law of property. It's theft lol)

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

The real election candidate to watch out for has started his campaign. :getin:
https://twitter.com/LordBuckethead/status/1189784969905725440?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is based off the fact that it had a box that let you choose your own sexuality and nothing else. when did the SNP get so terfy?

https://twitter.com/JoanMcAlpine/status/1189520381155123200?s=20

https://twitter.com/JoanMcAlpine/status/1189520394035847173?s=20

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ikwaylx posted:

Is this going to be the real Lord Buckethead or the one that got co-opted by the libs?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

We're talking about it but I'd be surprised if the labour leadership is, even given corbyn's personal politics. I agree that it would be good in the long term, but institutional resiliance is all about filtering out that kind of impulse.

Naturally it's an uphill struggle going against the establishment, but doesn't that apply to our entire platform? Add this to the list of things to push for ;)

Let's have transformational governance, baby! :getin: :newdanger:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ikwaylx posted:

Buckethead normally contests the PM's seat, if Boris stays in Uxbridge, then this could be a vote split that stops Labour taking the seat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:captainpop:

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1189820919595880448

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Borrovan posted:

This made me tear up you fucker, and I'm due to indoctrinate the youth teach in 20 minutes.

(about the law of property. It's theft lol)

Goddammit, why do educated people so often decide capitalism is bad? You're all indoctrinated!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oof, this made me look up skoliosexuality and it sounds like it might be A Thing

quote:

One relatively new term is "skoliosexual," which means being primarily sexually, romantically, and/or aesthetically attracted to genderqueer, transgender, and/or non-binary people. ... In other words, "skoliosexual" can be used to describe attraction to anyone under the larger umbrella of genderqueer.

Sounds pretty good but chances that its trans chasers trying to woke-ize their lovely behaviours are high

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

Is this going to be the real Lord Buckethead or the one that got co-opted by the libs?

The Lib Dem version accidentally crapped in his bucket before putting it on his head and is now doubling down on his argument that he doesn't smell.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

this is based off the fact that it had a box that let you choose your own sexuality and nothing else. when did the SNP get so terfy?

There's always been an element of it. Joanna Cherry, who you'll have seen very prominent from the Edinburgh court case against prorogation, is very Mumsnet in her trans bigotry. There's always been a socially conservative element to the Nats, I mean their strongest areas originally were places like Perthshire & Aberdeenshire, where they were picking up the seats from the Tories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

https://twitter.com/JoanMcAlpine/status/1189520381155123200?s=20

https://twitter.com/JoanMcAlpine/status/1189520394035847173?s=20
https://twitter.com/JoanMcAlpine/status/1189520387996049408

lmao bi-hyphen-sexual is pulled right out of the 80s, this is plain "new things confuse me"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The only takeaway from that is there should be a sikh ethnic box.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunate naming at the very least given that it sounds like you're horny for people with spine problems.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Sanford posted:

The most successful messaging I've found so far is "if not for Tory austerity, about 200,000 people would be alive who are now dead. That's 1000's of empty spots on the sofa, 1000's of people starting to make two cups of tea before realising their mistake, 1000's of people rolling over in bed and reaching out for someone who isn't there, 1000's of families missing someone this Christmas who should still be with them. And this is when the tories were on form, never mind the chaos of recent months." The most negative response I've had so far is "I need to think about this" from someone who told me in 2017 he couldn't see himself ever voting not tory, never mind voting labour. It's a powerful message.

I flipped a couple of wannabe Lib Dems with this yesterday - Swindon was one of the chief enablers if not one of the architects of austerity and we should never let anyone forget it.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunate naming at the very least given that it sounds like you're horny for people with spine problems.

Nice try, Lowtax

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jose posted:

Apparently it is just a text box with autocomplete suggestions, i.e. you won't see the Crazy New Words, Imagine New Words Ever Existing unless you type them in, and will probably just get lumped in with 'other' unless there is a significant number identifying as such, yknow because we don't actually know the most common sexualities until we count them

Also love the "a number of people have drawn my attention to", joan's status solidifying as official person to alert about anyone thinking about sexuality or gender at all

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Deregulate infernos! The City needs a good wildfire every now and again to keep down rats, fleas, poor people and other vermin. God I wish it was 1666 again.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pretty sure Sikh isn't an ethnicity Joan.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Zalakwe posted:

I flipped a couple of wannabe Lib Dems with this yesterday - Swindon was one of the chief enablers if not one of the architects of austerity and we should never let anyone forget it.

It's almost as if having a genuine and real thing to talk about that you passionately, truly believe is more persuasive than media-friendly soundbites!

Borrovan the character named after you in my D&D campaign died last night, sorry my dude. You were totally asking for it though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pure evil.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Rarity posted:

It has come to my attention that SA has added a bunch of new smilies that would be very helpful to users over the course of this election campaign. As a public service I am highlighting them below:
I will enjoy and use these, thank you :catte:. But how could you forget this extremely important one, perhaps the most important in these troubled times? :hotpickle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

There's always been an element of it. Joanna Cherry, who you'll have seen very prominent from the Edinburgh court case against prorogation, is very Mumsnet in her trans bigotry.

Yeah quite happy to not live in Edinburgh South West any more and have to pick between potentially letting the tories in and voting for the lady who clearly thinks I'm a gender criminal but isn't even brave enough to openly say it