Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Angepain posted:

Yeah quite happy to not live in Edinburgh South West any more and have to pick between potentially letting the tories in and voting for the lady who clearly thinks I'm a gender criminal but isn't even brave enough to openly say it

Yeah, that's where I live. I am nonbinary.

Edit: As is the number 324! It should really be written as 101000100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Angepain posted:

Also love the "a number of people have drawn my attention to", joan's status solidifying as official person to alert about anyone thinking about sexuality or gender at all

I like to think about the ladies and when I do I get horned up sometimes there are multiple ladies and sometimes they're in the nuddy but sometimes they're not and also there is jam. Is this information I should pass on to Joan?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

I like to think about the ladies and when I do I get horned up sometimes there are multiple ladies and sometimes they're in the nuddy but sometimes they're not and also there is jam. Is this information I should pass on to Joan?

I mean if you format it like an agony aunt letter maybe?

The US is way ahead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r752os2uUgI

(from 2017)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Rarity posted:

I believe contacting her office for approval is the temporary stopgap measure before she sets up a proper government department to decide what gender and sex thoughts people are allowed to have

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Rarity posted:

Is this going to be the real Lord Buckethead or the one that got co-opted by the libs?

Wait, is this some joke about lib dems or did Lord Buckethead recently have some sort of mild coup I never knew about?

Or maybe he was always bad and I just didn't know, I just enjoyed the imagery at the election of May standing next to Elmo, Lord Buckethead, and the guy from the MRLP :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Pretty sure Sikh isn't an ethnicity Joan.
Yes, they're a religious group, not an ethnicity :can:

Angepain posted:

Yeah quite happy to not live in Edinburgh South West any more and have to pick between potentially letting the tories in and voting for the lady who clearly thinks I'm a gender criminal but isn't even brave enough to openly say it
Be trans do crime.

Also very important:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Angepain posted:

I believe contacting her office for approval is the temporary stopgap measure before she sets up a proper government department to decide what gender and sex thoughts people are allowed to have

Ok sure, now is there an appropriate subform I need to declare to cover the jam or will there be a section for that on the main form?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Christ, how many of the "face appearing from the side then a word appears" smiles are their going to be.

I feel like this is my contribution to the world, creating the first one.

:drat:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ikwaylx posted:

Wait, is this some joke about lib dems or did Lord Buckethead recently have some sort of mild coup I never knew about?

Or maybe he was always bad and I just didn't know, I just enjoyed the imagery at the election of May standing next to Elmo, Lord Buckethead, and the guy from the MRLP :(

Centrists tried to claim the character for the People's Vote

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if you format it like an agony aunt letter maybe?

The US is way ahead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r752os2uUgI

(from 2017)

I remember listening to that and also the follow up much later on the author basically admitting that she buys kitchen appliances she'll never use to fill the empty hole inside her and if there is a better example of the modern political journalist than pushing out articles that demand more burning paupers so you can afford poo poo you don't want or need just to briefly feel something then I don't know it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

hahaha look what I've been invited to review:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
^^ lol

Alert Leonard J. Crabs!!!

Tsietisin posted:

Christ, how many of the "face appearing from the side then a word appears" smiles are their going to be.

I feel like this is my contribution to the world, creating the first one.

:drat:

You made that? Well :drat:

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Well poo poo, I didn't even know about that. That's such a shame that his character has been hijacked in such a way.

Centrists ruin everything blah

Edit: Holy poo poo I love the gangtag, makes me feel good considering I missed getting a Jammy Bastards tag when that was first made

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tsietisin posted:

Where is my goddam Rarity smiley already? It would be Rarity the pony sliding in and them my name explodes in a shower of sparkles and it would be goddam beautiful :mad:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

hahaha look what I've been invited to review:

Is that the sequel to :frogout:?

Rarity posted:

Where is my goddam Rarity smiley already? It would be Rarity the pony sliding in and them my name explodes in a shower of sparkles and it would be goddam beautiful :mad:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sanford posted:

The most successful messaging I've found so far is "if not for Tory austerity, about 200,000 people would be alive who are now dead. That's 1000's of empty spots on the sofa, 1000's of people starting to make two cups of tea before realising their mistake, 1000's of people rolling over in bed and reaching out for someone who isn't there, 1000's of families missing someone this Christmas who should still be with them. And this is when the tories were on form, never mind the chaos of recent months." The most negative response I've had so far is "I need to think about this" from someone who told me in 2017 he couldn't see himself ever voting not tory, never mind voting labour. It's a powerful message.

i like this argument has entered the public discourse because it's easily and rightfully extended to 'and every ~thousand pounds you spent on yourself rather than third-world antimalarials has killed someone. what's your personal body count?'
i mean this entirely unironically. it's a great, compelling argument and it deserves to be taken to its conclusion. if you think austerity has killed hundreds of thousands, that has serious consequences for your own spending too

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 31, 2019

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
and actually the 200k figure isn't really life-equivalents, it's people-who'd-be-alive-as-of-2017. that's about six? DALYs, so the third world equiv is ~£100 per person you've killed on the same scale

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1189850248925130752?s=20
https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1189851556209930241?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

New jojo lookin good I see.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Wtf's wrong with your font

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also think renting is a moral failure and would like to fix it by getting rid of landlords.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Necrothatcher posted:

From what I gather there's a bit of a... thing with that especially since how Sikh naming conventions originated specifically as a protest against the Hindu caste system. That's just a guess, mind.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
This new Whose Side Are You On? Slogan rules because it means I can be humming this while out leafleting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iAIM02kv0g

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

I read the whole thing and not once does he explain how deregulation would help; it's just braying about how all the regulations regarding disabled access didn't save anyone in the event of a fire.

It's genuinely on par with the Megan McGriddle we should burn a few apartment buildings to encourage the others take.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is a good first pass but it's a little bit outside the size limit

Maphis
Apr 22, 2012

coffeetable posted:

If you open Chrome Developer Tools when you stick your postcode into getvoting.org, you'll see a request for a file containing the recommendations. That's this file here, and it's keyed by constituency code. Meanwhile the Excel file here has the 2017 results, again keyed by constituency code. My script grabs both files, cleans them up, then nails them together to see which party's constituencies have which recommendations.

Each row on this chart corresponds to a different party's 2017 constituencies. Each column corresponds to a different 2019 recommendation. So you can read off from the 'Labour' column that only Labour constituencies have Labour recommendations, while the Lib Dem recomendations come from all major parties.

Showed this table to a LibDem cheerleader this morning and it turns out they've since updated their recommendations. Did the same collation and compare and got this breakdown (sorry for the utterly hideous Excel snip):

I don't think my methodology is quite as robust as coffeetable's so I'd love to see an updated one from them, and similar tables for all of the other tactical voting sites. Seems a good sense check for general recommendations.

The raw data shows they're encouraging people to vote for Phillip Hammond and Anna Soubry too which is just painful.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

coffeetable posted:

i like this argument has entered the public discourse because it's easily and rightfully extended to 'and every ~thousand pounds you spent on yourself rather than third-world antimalarials has killed someone. what's your personal body count?'
i mean this entirely unironically. it's a great, compelling argument and it deserves to be taken to its conclusion. if you think austerity has killed hundreds of thousands, that has serious consequences for your own spending too

Do you get off on telling a thread full of mentally ill people, many of whom are unemployed and (if they haven't been discouraged or sanctioned) claiming benefits, that spending any of their meager income on making life less miserable makes them just as bad as the people running one of the richest states on the planet?

I ask because that's basically the only poo poo you post, and I personally think it's irresponsible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1189855730964353025?s=20

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Necrothatcher posted:

If they self-identify as being ethnically Sikh, what's the issue?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Rarity posted:

Looks like it's time to crank up my copy of Paint shop Pro animation studio.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Can we get the thread renamed for the last day of the month to "Lies, drat lies, polling companies and libdems"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what I gather there's a bit of a... thing with that especially since how Sikh naming conventions originated specifically as a protest against the Hindu caste system. That's just a guess, mind.
'Sikh' is an ethnicity in the same way that 'Jew' is, because while it started as a bunch of people adopting certain religious conventions in opposition to the customs of the area, by the second or third time that people have tried to genocide you and force you into exile you're probably an ethnicity.

It's worth noting that UK law considers incitement against Jews and Sikhs to be racism, whereas incitement against Catholics, Quakers, Muslims, Hindus, etc. wasn't specifically proscribed until religious hate crime laws came in.

(It's also worth noting that despite this, the Board of Deputies opposes having a 'Jewish' option in the ethnicity section of the census, preferring to keep it as religion, whereas the Sikh Federation wants 'Sikh' as an option.)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

coffeetable posted:

Equivocating individual actions of people who are not wealthy to the systemic actions of nation-states ruled by the rich and powerful is very dumb imo.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

https://twitter.com/bathnesld/status/1189648562080112640?s=20

Siri zoom in

Rotate 90 degrees

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lightning Knight posted:

Equivocating individual actions of people who are not wealthy to the systemic actions of nation-states ruled by the rich and powerful is very dumb imo.

coffeetable does this to assuage his guilt over his time as a finance bastard

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1189822438680469504
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1189822441385873409
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1189822442816098304

Please do eat each other.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

OwlFancier posted:

I also think renting is a moral failure and would like to fix it by getting rid of landlords.

Not being me is a moral failing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hell yeah comrade

Let's do this!!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Now is definitely the time to make a stand, Nigel. Stay strong and don't give in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i see the brexit party chief whip was reading my post about not standing candidates against the tories backfiring