Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is it just me, or is desperately trying to make the entire election a proxy referendum on Brexit looking like a really loving bad play in the face of a jaded populace and a Labour party energetically offering an actual plan for the future?

Kitten tax:

https://twitter.com/evilbart24/status/1163607849655832577?s=19

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Well I'm in a super safe labour seat

A little googling showed that my mp (meg hillier) has thrown their hat in the ring for speaker of the house too

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Lightning Knight posted:

Equivocating individual actions of people who are not wealthy to the systemic actions of nation-states ruled by the rich and powerful is very dumb imo.

We should be giving money for malarials, not fighting the Tories.

Oh wait, I do both.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is it just me, or is desperately trying to make the entire election a proxy referendum on Brexit looking like a really loving bad play in the face of a jaded populace and a Labour party energetically offering an actual plan for the future?

Fingers crossed.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
UKIP under Farage tried to target labour leave seats several times in the past and always failed. It's not welcome news but it's not a death-knell.

Historically UKIP was always most successful in Conservative-held seats; in isolation their best strategy would be to target outspoken Tory Remainers in Tory safe seats which swing leave, of which there are many.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Have the Tories actually released any policies yet? Last night my partner asked me what labour has planned and I told her in broad terms, then when she asked about the tories i had to go 'uuhhhh.... tough on crime and do a Brexit?'

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I mean May tried that last election and found herself quickly losing ground thanks to the positive message of the Labour manifesto and their only argument being "LABOUR BAD"

Honestly I'm amazed that even with nearly 10 years of being in government that voter attrition hasn't ground them down as much as they have already.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Continuity RCP posted:

Now is definitely the time to make a stand, Nigel. Stay strong and don't give in

Nigel will stand a bunch of candidates I suspect - he wants nothing more than a seat at the table and this gets him one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this owns

https://twitter.com/MW_Unrest/status/1189540502414209025?s=20

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Goodness, it seems like the Brexit lunatics think the Tories are traitors to Brexit or something.

Jose posted:

i see the brexit party chief whip was reading my post about not standing candidates against the tories backfiring

The public likes collusion between supposedly separate political parties, right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Again, the Conservative manifesto will be drawn up by a fracking lobbyist, so that should be fun.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Boris isn't taking this angle. Oh no, he's doing much worse. If you listen to his speeches in the house, firstly I'm sorry and secondly he's whipping out "free market capitalism" and "wealth creation" as slogans. Boris' trade deals with the US have already delivered to him the American conservative spin machine, and he's firing all five litres and all eight cylinders, baby. The Tory party just got an LS swap.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

el dingo posted:

Have the Tories actually released any policies yet? Last night my partner asked me what labour has planned and I told her in broad terms, then when she asked about the tories i had to go 'uuhhhh.... tough on crime and do a Brexit?'

They are going to hire 20,000 new police officers, which is 1,000 less than the reduction in police officers since the ConDem coalition came to power in 2010.

Other than that, their manifesto isn't done yet but for an idea of what'll be in it look at the Queens Speech from earlier in the month.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 31, 2019

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Well this has been a long time coming. Some posters will know I worked for the Lib Dems (or their representatives mainly, but who's splitting hairs) for years back in the day, up until shortly after they joined the coalition.

Since then the party and Labour have both changed beyond all recognition to the point I would be holding my nose to vote tactically in a Lib Dem/Tory marginal. Thankfully I don't live in one. Anyway I want to call on the thread to be firm but kind to Lib Dem supporters - many of them are good but misguided people shaped by their privilege.

Ask questions rather than making accusations and more and more of them will end up like me.

P.S. With thanks to JB, couldn't be bothered hosting my own image.
P.S.S. I will never, ever vote for Ian Murray.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 31, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Azza Bamboo posted:

Boris isn't taking this angle. Oh no, he's doing much worse. If you listen to his speeches in the house, firstly I'm sorry and secondly he's whipping out "free market capitalism" and "wealth creation" as slogans. Boris' trade deals with the US have already delivered to him the American conservative spin machine, and he's firing all five litres and all eight cylinders, baby. The Tory party just got an LS swap.

That's fine, a capitalism versus anti-capitalism election is extremely loving good as well.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

They are going to hire 20,000 new police officers, which is 1,000 less than the reduction in police officers since the ConDem coalition came to power in 2010.

Not forgetting that, thanks to the effects of all their other cuts, being a cop is such a loving nightmare that they lose more than half of their recruits either in training or during the first year on the job. So it will actually be around 9000 new officers.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Corbyn speaking now

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This new Whose Side Are You On? Slogan rules because it means I can be humming this while out leafleting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iAIM02kv0g

This one is good too!

https://youtu.be/oKHf1YVATfk

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rustybear posted:

If they self-identify as being ethnically Sikh, what's the issue?

I've done some reading on this, and it seems that defining Sikhism as an ethnicity is a big nationalist thing. Here's a quote from a Sikh protesting against it that makes sense:

quote:

"Sikhism is a religion and not an ethnicity. We have Sikhs from all over the world these days. There are Sikhs of all ethnicities including Asian, Oriental, White, Middle Eastern, Black and Mixed. Surely everybody with an ounce of sense will agree that Sikh is not a separate ethnic origin. So lets not be zealots. I find some of the comments here disheartening. Those talking about betrayal and disgust need to think deep and hard about whether they themselves really are Sikhs or in name only."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
#brexitriots and #BritainHasExploded both trending on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/markdavyd/status/1189843711997423616

https://twitter.com/Hutch_and_Sons/status/1189836053651345408

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

quote:

More than 300,000 people have applied to register to vote in 48 hours, according to government figures.

A total of 139,162 applications were submitted on Tuesday, followed by 177,105 on Wednesday.

They are the highest and second highest number of applications submitted on a single day this year.

Nearly two-thirds (65%) of applications were from people aged 34 and under, while just 4% came from those aged 65 and over.

A third were from people under 25.

The increase in the volume of applications should not be treated as direct evidence of an increase in the number of people able to vote.

At previous elections there have been applications from people below the legal age to vote or who are already on the electoral register.

Nice

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Maphis posted:

Showed this table to a LibDem cheerleader this morning and it turns out they've since updated their recommendations. Did the same collation and compare and got this breakdown (sorry for the utterly hideous Excel snip):

I don't think my methodology is quite as robust as coffeetable's so I'd love to see an updated one from them, and similar tables for all of the other tactical voting sites. Seems a good sense check for general recommendations.

"open in playground" -> click the play button, wait a few seconds

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yay!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

mediadave posted:

Corbyn speaking now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdzwKboCJBI

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I've been seeing this a lot, but I don't think it's indicitive of much since I would have thought young people move around more, meaning when the time comes for an election, it's more likely for younger people to have to register or re-register. All the olds own their own homes so have most likely been registered for ages.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I only got to catch 30 seconds of this because I’m at work but Christ I would trade Bernie for Corbyn in a heartbeat. :allears:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Lightning Knight posted:

I only got to catch 30 seconds of this because I’m at work but Christ I would trade Bernie for Corbyn in a heartbeat. :allears:

Let's put them both in office :q:

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

Maphis posted:

Showed this table to a LibDem cheerleader this morning and it turns out they've since updated their recommendations. Did the same collation and compare and got this breakdown (sorry for the utterly hideous Excel snip):

I don't think my methodology is quite as robust as coffeetable's so I'd love to see an updated one from them, and similar tables for all of the other tactical voting sites. Seems a good sense check for general recommendations.

The raw data shows they're encouraging people to vote for Phillip Hammond and Anna Soubry too which is just painful.

I've still got a snapshot of the data from yesterday when I was playing around with this - they've shifted 142 seats from "Pledge" to Labour since then, and, wonderfully, these two from Libdem to Labour:

Not sure what cataclysmic event happened in the last 24 hours to make it clear that these probably weren't turning yellow...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

My emoji claim to fame is this bad first draft of : clegg :

And Clegg's little shrunken head which I think was used by whoever did the final thing:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

I've done some reading on this, and it seems that defining Sikhism as an ethnicity is a big nationalist thing. Here's a quote from a Sikh protesting against it that makes sense:
It is a nationalist thing. Sometimes in the "let's be ethno-nationalists fake Sikhs get out" way and sometimes it's in a "guys I'm a bit worried that Modi's going to do a repeat of 1984" way.

Same as not all people who consider themselves ethnically Jewish are Zionists, sometimes it's out of worry that the Nazis are unlikely to take "I'm non observant and I only visit my nan for Passover" as an answer.

Ethnicity, like sexuality, is often formed out of solidarity from opposition.

e: ^^^

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I enjoy Corbyn repeatedly making the point that Boris hasn't died in a ditch and thus cannot be trusted

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Braggart posted:

Goodness, it seems like the Brexit lunatics think the Tories are traitors to Brexit or something.

The public likes collusion between supposedly separate political parties, right?

Electoral pacts are not that unusual really. One of the longest ones is the Labour - Co-op alliance which is getting on for a century now.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Vlex posted:

I don't know where to post this but just wanted to say that I've been offered a lectureship (i.e. a semblance of permanence in the rocky, lovely world of academia) doing what I love and I'm totally stunned. Lectureships have always been something that happen to other people.

hooray
Congratulations! Don't let your department use you as a teaching donkey - be 100% reliable, but don't get played as a 1000+ hour sucker.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Got drawn into a WhatsApp slapfight about how poo poo Lib Dems are, then I remembered I'm arguing with people in Leeds Central so just posted the 2017 result and exited in peace

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

Electoral pacts are not that unusual really. One of the longest ones is the Labour - Co-op alliance which is getting on for a century now.
Not voting for the Co-op until they put their whiskey back on offer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Always weird to see Cefte popping out from the shadows.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

God what a disgusting tie, who does he think he is?

Braying guffaw

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
big boss corbyn whips

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The Boy campaigns like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Listening to Corbyn speech.

Going to write down specific pledges here as I catch them.

Living wage at full rate from the age of 16.
Scrapping Tuition Fees.
Giving people the "final say" [on brexit] in 6 months.
Scrap Universal Credit.

Some catchy slogans go here.

Labour will end Tory Austerity.
Our NHS is not for sale.
"Economic Vandalism" to describe the deliberate neglect of communities.
"They'll fight harder and dirtier than before."
"Message of Hope."