Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

job offer for like 60% of the average pay for a position

Gosh I wonder why they can't get any developers :thunk:

:lol:

40-60k for a senior programming position, they’ve got to be raking in the top tier talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

UnknownTarget posted:

40,000 pounds = $51,000 USD. That's like...$2k above entry level for an artist in a major city, according to my staff salaries. For a senior network programmer. This is actually hilarious.

Senior Network Programmer at Wilmslow / Derby - Cloud Imperium Games posted:

Number of vacancies: 2

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Kosumo posted:

Sledge Roberts: Trust Me, I Know What I'm Doing*

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Makes an attractive display piece

Sabreseven posted:

My loving rear end lol.

Sabreseven with the display-level piece of rear end.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

Sabreseven with the display-level piece of rear end.

Ha!

I'm having trouble thinking of something witty to say to that, so I'm just going to let it stand as it is :D

That plastic commando is awful though. :D

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Remember when CIG fidelized all the clothes to no end, carefully by hand?

Too bad it won't be needed soon, it seems, so it's a wasted development time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atcKO15YVD8

In all fairness that method only works if the amount of physics interactions is low enough for all of them to be mapped. If you train it for a piece of cloth interacting with a single ball and later on there are two balls it will just poo poo its pants.

That means that the interactions have to be planned in advance and so on. (So CIG would never be able to use this method anyways)

Pretty drat good for fighting games if you don't want to go full Arcsys and keyframe the whole drat thing.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Yes, you're too emotionally invested :ughh:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Wait I thought Star Citizen was gonna push a bazillion units to keep the servers online and development continuing for a thousand glorious years. If the target market doesn't include a group of people who... uhhhh... like video games, who the hell is supposed to buy this turd?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

lmao

The full Chick Tract comic is ripe for Galorex's touch or any of the thread's talented shoopers to fix https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=25

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait I thought Star Citizen was gonna push a bazillion units to keep the servers online and development continuing for a thousand glorious years. If the target market doesn't include a group of people who... uhhhh... like video games, who the hell is supposed to buy this turd?

The bazillion people who don't like video games, obviously :smuggo:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr.PayDay posted:

“good for exposure “
Yes, exactly lmao

Indeed. Need more high profile people showing off SC without edits, without cuts, so people can see the exact state of the game, and therefore override all the marketing BS.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Star Citizen: Trust Fund Me!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Turns out Ben was fired because otherwise he would be working too close to miners amd be breaking a court order as a result.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

40-60k for a senior programming position, they’ve got to be raking in the top tier talent.

To be completely fair, salaries for IT and engineering jobs in the UK are a lot lower than in the states, especially with the huge damage Brexit has been doing to the value of the pound. Senior engineers in the company that I work for would be paid 120K in the USA but the same job title in the UK is paid 50-60K equivalent and I am in a high cost area.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

Yeah, but their seniors are still going through puberty, so its a good amount!

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
60k is a decently high salary in the UK though

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Hav posted:

Details, details.

February 5th 2013
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

Worth a read for the comparison to the progress they've achieved in six years.

Demon souls? Did he mean dark souls ?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

DigitalPenny posted:

Demon's Souls was a PS3 game basically the predecessor to the Dark Souls series.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jarlywarly posted:

Demon's Souls was a PS3 game basically the predecessor to the Dark Souls series.

None of those games had fatal coffee cups though.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

jarlywarly posted:

It's also the most fondly remembered out of the "series", in my experience.

I mean, there's a reason that they don't namedrop poo poo games like Duke Nukem Forever* in their "articles".

* Well apart from their paid shills who for a while were using DNF as an excuse for long development times, until someone explained to them how bad that argument was for them.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Patrat posted:

To be completely fair, salaries for IT and engineering jobs in the UK are a lot lower than in the states, especially with the huge damage Brexit has been doing to the value of the pound. Senior engineers in the company that I work for would be paid 120K in the USA but the same job title in the UK is paid 50-60K equivalent and I am in a high cost area.

drat, I didn’t know that.

50-60k would be just barely getting by in one the big tech hub cities here in the USA.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Quavers posted:

No that feeling is 20k people laughing at your pride and joy. That sinking feeling that they will all see how poo poo it is and think that spending thousands on a game that barely works and riddled with bugs stupid idea. They know deep down it's terrible. They don't really want other people to see their shame.

It's like they lurk in there basements dreaming of having wild parties and how cool they would be if they had one. Now everyone is showing up and instead of a cool games of beer pong and hot girls you have a crowd of people laughing at thier weird collection of multi thousand dollar sex dolls... So they are left standing in the corner embarresed hoping they don't they are all broken and you have been waiting on another set of broken dolls on back order for 5 years.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

DigitalPenny posted:

My favorite bit about that is that he claims he wants death to mean something in this non-game, and to reinforce the point, he cites a game series in which death means almost nothing. There's almost no cost to dying in Souls games. That's the central conceit of the series. Every time you die, you're almost certainly still better off than when you started, and the only way you lose is by giving up.

He probably just heard Demon Souls was a hard game and mentions it because he wants Star Citizen to be hard too.

And to be fair, it is hard to accomplish anything in SC.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 31, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus posted:

https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1189594969323069440

"Here's how it's possible"

"If that interests you"

https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1189620752326316032

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Sarsapariller posted:

Uhhhh... excuse me but it's 40k PLUS access to the coffee machine. :smuggo:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'd apply, but apparently i know nothing about software development.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Dementropy posted:

MMORPG: Star Citizen Free Fly Event Going On Now

No Max Bacon in the comments?
No Erillion?

Attrition takes its toll on even the best community members.

“Status:Early Access (est.rel 2018) “
lmao they don’t even bother updating this, and rightfully so

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Wowsers, I got an email informing me I can upgrade my spacepoors Aurora pack to a Mantis for the low price of ONLY $125! Surely I will fall for this obvious bait!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

None of those games had fatal coffee cups though.

They could easily Patch that in....if you catch my drift

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1189658352348889088

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol "Top Secret" clothing.

Is that on the roadmap?

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Even on attractive people those shirts look like trash garbage, imagine what they will look like on the average Star Citizen?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Sarsapariller posted:

In Derby that is solid money. In Wilmslow it is poo poo because its quite an affluent area, but if you live in the cheaper areas outside of Wilmslow, it's probably not too bad.

If you can land that job in Derby for 65k where the average home price is £200k, you're laughing all the way to the bank.

The average home price in Wilmslow is £435k

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Scruffpuff posted:

An excellent new Star Citizen chapter could be Chris partnering with a Chinese game company to continue funding. Then they can start retrofitting the entire game to appeal to the Chinese gaming mindset, making an even bigger cash shop with thousands of new ships locked behind loot crates and gambling games. Eventually the game will be a phone app that will pit your ship against other ships like a Pokemon game. Then we can watch the backers defend all of this as what they paid for the whole time and even better than they hoped.

Trying to imagine Cryengine or Lumberyard or whatever the gently caress they're calling it nowadays running on a phone is pure :magical:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Even on attractive people those shirts look like trash garbage, imagine what they will look like on the average Star Citizen?

What about the Lesnick edition?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aesaar posted:

My favorite bit about that is that he claims he wants death to mean something in this non-game, and to reinforce the point, he cites a game series in which death means almost nothing. There's almost no cost to dying in Souls games. That's the central conceit of the series. Every time you die, you're almost certainly still better off than when you started, and the only way you lose is by giving up.

No, Demon's Souls had a world 'tendency' that got darker (meaning harder enemies) every time you died. The first level also had an enemy that could kill you in one hit - not hidden or anything, just there if you chose to turn left after crossing a bridge instead of the literal right way. It was a sadistic piece of poo poo game.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spotted "refactor" and "server mesh" in there, might be other gems as well. I think these aren't actually postings for positions, but part of the window dressing so CIG backers can read them and say to themselves, "It's all true! The server mesh is real - they're hiring experts on it!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Spotted "refactor" and "server mesh" in there, might be other gems as well. I think these aren't actually postings for positions, but part of the window dressing so CIG backers can read them and say to themselves, "It's all true! The server mesh is real - they're hiring experts on it!"

Yeah, should be called server dressing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

"Work well in a cooperative environment" being said twice in the skills section after they corrected it once already, because some randoTwitter noticed that their offer's deadline was in June. CI not G professionalism never disappoint.

Or maybe it's intentional, "working well in a cooperative environment" being corporate talk for "we'll suck your blood dry and you won't be paid overtime". It really needs to be stressed twice.