Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kawabata posted:

Does Nioh get harder toward endgame?

I'm doing all the sub missions for every map (because I like them) and occasionally killing revenants. As a result, I'm slightly overleveled for the main missions, I always have a full armor set on and I'm finding the game fairly easy so far. I think the one and only difficulty spike for me was... first meeting with Onryoki? But that's only because I was stubbornly trying to DS dodge everything. Oh and I chose the Katana as main weapon because it seemed a good generic choice to learn the game mechanics. I love it but I feel like Heart being its main attribute is broken as hell and I kind of have infinite Ki now.

I just killed the Ogress on my second try, same script as every other boss so far: barely learn some of the attacks, bring it to 1/3 of its HP, Kato spirit weapon, win. Am I cheesing the game somehow?

The difficulty curve is kind of hosed up in this game, if you're having fun I wouldn't worry about it. Picking katana and pumping heart isn't even near the top of broken things you can do to make the game super easy. There's a few bosses left that'll probably give you some pause but beyond that you're pretty much out of challenges until you hit the DLC, which is a huge jump in difficulty and also super fun.

If you're not having fun or you're finding the game too easy, try respeccing into a different weapon. Respecs are super cheap and you'll want to build familiarity with all of the weapons anyway to unlock more skill points and some cool bonus missions later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Trick Question posted:

The difficulty curve is kind of hosed up in this game, if you're having fun I wouldn't worry about it. Picking katana and pumping heart isn't even near the top of broken things you can do to make the game super easy.

Oh I don't doubt it but as soon as I noticed that katana's damage scaling was tied to stamina of all things I immediately thought "boy the other weapons better be lightsabers of death because otherwise how the gently caress can they even compete".

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Neurosis posted:

The highest difficulty is incredibly lame and only for masochists.

:colbert:

All the weapons are very good btw. Except Tonfa lol

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 24, 2019

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

WaltherFeng posted:

Are we talking Way of the Nioh (added later)? Way of the Wise was a decent challenge but Nioh was cheeeaaapp.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Um excuuuuse me but the story isn't about William saving Japan, it's about Japan saving William.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Neurosis posted:

Are we talking Way of the Nioh (added later)? Way of the Wise was a decent challenge but Nioh was cheeeaaapp.

Yes Nioh. Although even Wise was actually post launch.

My opinion may be slightly biased because I have played the game like 200 - 300 hours and my character has effectively infinite revives + onmyo tools.

Plus I coop with my friend regularly in the Abyss and its super fun

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Neurosis posted:

Yeah in Way of the Nioh basically everything will 1-2 shot you, so get good at dodging or stagger an enemy from 100% to death.

The Abyss is even more bullshit with fighting 2 different bosses at once, and some of those combinations are completely ridiculous.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 24, 2019

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

RatHat posted:

The Abyss is even more bullshit with fighting 2 different bosses at once, and some of those combinations are completely ridiculous.

I'm starting to find side missions where you have to fight 2 bosses at once. Game is using 70% of assets I already saw in the first region (maps, enemies and so on) and I'm in the fifth loving region, it's hilarious that it's now putting me against two bosses at the same time too.

I suppose it's time to cheese this poo poo in coop, I don't see how this was designed for solo unless you have spirit weapon on and you're quick enough to kill one of them. Unless you like getting killed by some bullshit charge offscreen that oneshots you over and over.

Boy am I disappointed if Nioh's endgame is "well gently caress you, here's the same assets again, just fight more of them at once lmao"

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 24, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

WaltherFeng posted:

Tonfa owns, once you get the Demon's Dance skills you become a ki-destroying machine. Sarutobi's Gunsticks are also a fun gimmick

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kawabata posted:

I'm starting to find side missions where you have to fight 2 bosses at once. Game is using 70% of assets I already saw in the first region (maps, enemies and so on) and I'm in the fifth loving region, it's hilarious that it's now putting me against two bosses at the same time too.

I suppose it's time to cheese this poo poo in coop, I don't see how this was designed for solo unless you have spirit weapon on and you're quick enough to kill one of them. Unless you like getting killed by some bullshit charge offscreen that oneshots you over and over.

Boy am I disappointed if Nioh's endgame is "well gently caress you, here's the same assets again, just fight more of them at once lmao"

You just have to play defensively and keep them both onscreen at all times. It's fun if you're in the right mindset but there's definitely a reason those missions are optional.

Alternatively just cheese the hell out of them with throwing knives or magic, that poo poo will murder everything until way of the nioh if you spec into it.

Until you get to way of the wise, most of the new game + cycles are just the same as the first time with more powerful enemies and better gear drops. On the plus side you can basically do missions in whatever order you want - there's a little bar that unlocks missions in batches, so you can just rush the quicker side-missions if you're feeling powerful or cocky enough.

CharlestonJew posted:

Tonfa owns, once you get the Demon's Dance skills you become a ki-destroying machine. Sarutobi's Gunsticks are also a fun gimmick

Tonfa are the best, if they had one more slow but powerful attack they'd be the perfect weapon.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Trick Question posted:

You just have to play defensively and keep them both onscreen at all times. It's fun if you're in the right mindset but there's definitely a reason those missions are optional.

I used a cup out of curiosity for the first time, thinking "hey, a 2v2 should be alright". The dude I summoned oneshot both bosses with one axe swipe. Which made me realize this game somehow doesn't have level ranges for summons. It's too bad because I can't find an option in the menu to set some kind of range (maybe I'm stupid) and I'm not doing any more coop if it's like this.

In other news I just respecced to use Dual Swords and they are crazy fun. Weapon aoe is so short it's scary though, man sometimes I whiff so hard.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I thought Nue was bad. Cleared the first area, I have the ship now to go to the next one. But I have to clean up any missions, and I have this one on one against a samurai, didn't even read any information or anything. Holy sweet jesus. Just about everything one hits me and there doesn't even seem to be a pattern, sometimes I survive something and other times things he doesn't always do just interrupts when I think he is vulnerable and completely kills me from full health. This is harsh.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The 1v1s are meant to be challenging though I think the hardest one is the one against Date Masamune.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

codo27 posted:

So I thought Nue was bad. Cleared the first area, I have the ship now to go to the next one. But I have to clean up any missions, and I have this one on one against a samurai, didn't even read any information or anything. Holy sweet jesus. Just about everything one hits me and there doesn't even seem to be a pattern, sometimes I survive something and other times things he doesn't always do just interrupts when I think he is vulnerable and completely kills me from full health. This is harsh.

Yeah that guy is rough if you try to do him as soon as the mission is available. Try doing the next main mission first and then going back to him.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got him shortly after by being a combination of smarter/patient and aggressive, keeping close enough that he couldn't pull off all his cheapo mcmeapo wind up moves and poo poo. I'm using the set he dropped already but what he dropped is yellow and I have purple. I wanted to soul match but jesus it was more than my whole store to match one piece to the stuff he dropped (21-31). I googled gold farming but apparently it wants me to do a mission from the first region, can I even back track? I couldn't see anything on the map to indicate that (also would kinda gently caress with the story)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

codo27 posted:

I got him shortly after by being a combination of smarter/patient and aggressive, keeping close enough that he couldn't pull off all his cheapo mcmeapo wind up moves and poo poo. I'm using the set he dropped already but what he dropped is yellow and I have purple. I wanted to soul match but jesus it was more than my whole store to match one piece to the stuff he dropped (21-31). I googled gold farming but apparently it wants me to do a mission from the first region, can I even back track? I couldn't see anything on the map to indicate that (also would kinda gently caress with the story)

There should be a button to change region. You can redo any mission.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

codo27 posted:

Frankly I wouldn’t bother with soul matching or really any kind of real equipment upkeep in your first run. Just use whatever has the biggest numbers for your favorite weapon/armor classes, sell or break down everything else. Min-maxing equipment only really starts gaining value in NG+, before then it’s pretty much just a huge money sink pain in the rear end for very little gain.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I figured it out after. Also realized that while I had 5/7 of Warrior of the West equipped, I wasn't getting any set bonuses because my Body wasn't high enough. I am the dumb.

Okay I really hate to just give in and look poo poo up. I've cleared this mission twice in the second region, where you have to kill the green tongue gronk in the house atop the big steps. Small desert-y area with mostly underground? I got 2/4 mushroom men, I've found the third but cant reach it. I can hear and see it through a hole in the ceiling of the caves. But I cant figure out how to get up there. I can see walls that feel like I oughta be able to break them but I cant. Am I missing something that might help me detect secret routes and whatnot?
E: figured it out. But I'm still short one lil guy in this level, guessing its something simple I'm missing or theres a second hidden wall

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 29, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh, what a trying session. I've been stuck at what I'll call the second water level for the last couple times I've played, smaller level with a ship with cannons. Finally beat it, and I was so stressed I missed all the kodamas. Went back and got them, cleaned it easy, crash to desktop after going forward after defeating the boss, no progress saved from that attempt.

Manage to pull it off again anyway, there is one sub mission left so I do that, back to the first larger water level. I'm killing everything easy, no deaths, and under no circumstances did I think I'd have to fight that loving boss again, thought something trivial would happen when I opened those doors. No biggie, I found out how to cheese the first half of that fight, sticking to it and slashy slashy. Get to the second stage, doing alright, almost done. Whips his arms down and one hits me from near full health. Of course as well I had a levels worth of amrita which I'm now trying to pile into Spirit as I didn't understand how the bonuses associated with that works. SIGH

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

beta starts tomorrow, runs until the 10th. like before you get some (meaningless) reward in the full game for completing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADDHKkBa7I

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 31, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh poo poo. Also there's another new weapon: Switchglaive(?). It changes depending on stance. It's a saw in low stance(think Bloodborne), a scythe in medium stance, and a glaive/naginata in high stance.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
New weapon looks pretty rad

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh god I really need to finish this though I'm hooked on call of duty at the moment. I think I'm in the 4th region? Really hope the sequel doesn't suffer from mgsv syndrome and the whole game is actually different each step of the way instead of so much reused assets

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Hopefully the PC version isn't a year behind again.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Hopefully the PC version isn't a year behind again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is it a public beta? I want to try!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Is it a public beta? I want to try!

Yes

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hell yes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The character customization has a boob slider :shepface:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

RatHat posted:

Hell yeah how do I join the beta

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

well obviously, why wouldn't it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RatHat posted:

don’t most these days

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

boob slider cool whatever, is there a butt slider and does it also work on dudes

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My wife could not stop talking about how nice the butts while i was making characters in Outer Worlds and that game doesn't even have a slider. Butts are important.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How do I get into the PS4 beta? Just download it or is there rigmarole?

Searched it and downloading, very easy!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Really? I just checked and the only things Nioh 2 related I can find are preorders, not the beta. I'm not seeing anywhere that it's limited to preorders, but I'm not finding it available for download on the store.

edit: It just occurred to me that you may be in a part of the world where it is already November 1st, and that's why.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 1, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

marshmallow creep posted:

Really? I just checked and the only things Nioh 2 related I can find are preorders, not the beta. I'm not seeing anywhere that it's limited to preorders, but I'm not finding it available for download on the store.

edit: It just occurred to me that you may be in a part of the world where it is already November 1st, and that's why.

Ah yeah that's why haha. I just played this for like three hours and didn't realise. God drat I love Nioh it's my favourite action game by miles even though I'm rusty and suck rn. I started Ki pulsing with the dodge ability hidden in the crazy new menu. Got to say I prefer the old one, also the cursor moves so fast wth

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

No muscle slider for female characters? 0/10, poo poo game for morons.

This demo boss is really tough.

EDIT: Nvm, looks like the muscle slider is just flat-out disabled in the demo some reason, I retract my previous score.

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 2, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

yeah i can't do poo poo to this boss

maybe because the switchglaive feels like it fell out of the surge, in that every single one of its animations sucks

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently Tonfa are op as gently caress