Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is like watching a female version of James O'Brien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

loving hell we need some angrier MPs. That faux offence was weak as gently caress, would it really be so hard to point out that you don't get to be a billionaire without exploiting people so (a) gently caress those guys, and (b)we just stop people from exploiting and boom, no more billionaires. The guy actually sounded hesitant at the prospect of offending the poor misunderstood oligarchs :reddit:

Ober for Uxbridge

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

I was just visiting another forum where someone shared this Tweet as proof that Labour is going to crash and burn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mfcrocker posted:

Filton and Bradders
They sound like public school Rugby boys.

Borrovan posted:

loving hell we need some angrier MPs. That faux offence was weak as gently caress, would it really be so hard to point out that you don't get to be a billionaire without exploiting people so (a) gently caress those guys, and (b)we just stop people from exploiting and boom, no more billionaires. The guy actually sounded hesitant at the prospect of offending the poor misunderstood oligarchs :reddit:
Some people aspire to be nonces, we should base things on their effects on the world rather than whether people want to do things or not ffs

Borrovan posted:

Ober for Uxbridge
Filton and Bradders got an Uber to Oxbridge, classic lad bantz.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Necrothatcher posted:

So it's proof of data manipulation?

No, getvoting.org doesn't have any data on the site about votes that I can see. The data all comes from the 2017 election.

What that graph is showing is the difference in votes (as % of the total valid votes) for the party that came second in 2017 (y axis) and the party that getvoting.org suggest you vote for in 2019 (x axis). the closer the value is to 0 the smaller the gap.

The diagonal line is the places it suggests you vote for the second place party in 2017 (most of these are labour) the piss cloud is where getvoting.org has decided the lib dems have a better chance than the 2017 runners up.

Like I said I'm sorry that it's a bit rushed and probably not as clear as it should be.

My favourite constituency is Skipton and Ripon which didn't field a Lib Dem candidate in 2017. Lib Dems have never won here. Their vote collapsed in 2010 and kept collapsing in 2015. getvoting.org suggests voting for the Lib Dems.

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 31, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Brony Car posted:

I was just visiting another forum where someone shared this Tweet as proof that Labour is going to crash and burn.

drat, we lost the billionaire and temporarily embarrassed billionaire vote.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

This is the most infuriating bit. There's been all these 'antisemitism scandals' where Corbyn has invited known antisemites to say that the Holocaust was cool and also never happened, and then they get quietly dropped when it's discovered that they were Jewish and/or badly misquoted, so they think everyone knows that Corbyn is an antisemite but they can never put any detail on why or how without running into "a Jewish Labour group invited an old Jewish man to talk about Judaism while Cobyn was in the same building" and so it must always be kept as the Unknown Threat.

They're spiders, not ticks.

Or when they attack him for hosting a debate between Palestinian rights groups where one guy said something dodgy and groups of self professed Zionists because he called them Zionists.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Gonzo McFee posted:

drat, we lost the billionaire and temporarily embarrassed billionaire vote.

lib dems were never gonna vote labour anyway

(conservatives can not be embarassed)

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Guavanaut posted:

They're spiders, not ticks.

Ticks are arachnids.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Defending this mural was kind of a bad call, though. I know it doesn't matter to you guys what US Jews think, but this gets brought up every single time I have a conversation about Corbyn.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Brony Car posted:

Defending this mural was kind of a bad call, though. I know it doesn't matter to you guys what US Jews think, but this gets brought up every single time I have a conversation about Corbyn.

He made a comment on a Facebook post about its removal alluding to other better art with a radical message being covered up. You might have to deal with it a lot but it's insanely bad faith to suggest its a meaningful incident.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brony Car posted:

I mean, yeah it's a bad mural but he also didn't defend it? He saw it was being taken down by a council and asked why it was being taken down.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Not all of the people depicted are Jewish. All of them are capitalists.

It's explicitly anti-capitalist, not anti-semitic.

It's also not particularly good, but, you know. Artistic merit is not the issue.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Brony Car posted:

People who bring this poo poo up are simply looking for an excuse to not like Jezza, hth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The year is 2020, newly in-office Prime Minister Jeremy Hitler unleashes his final solution to the Jewish question: he walks past a man reading a copy of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion without noticing what book it is.

The Natch
Feb 16, 2011

oh man i love me some nachos
So reading the BBC at work, which is terrible but the only site I can read the news on, and came across the article on The Workington Man. Basically talking about what the 'average white northern male' will vote for

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-50239341

The last part was pretty funny, if also a terrifying lack of awareness

quote:

his answer to whether he would vote for Boris Johnson will worry Downing Street: "Oh definitely not. He's a fruitcake. I want Farage."

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

SpaceCommie posted:

Got bored at work and I've been loving about with the getvoting.json to see what we can see ...

I apologise for the rushed code and typos etc but if you fancy a gander: http://www.spacecommie.co.uk/GetVotingDeepDive.nb.html

This is fantastic. I promise I’m trying to get this info in the right hands. Is this based on the current getvoting info or the stuff from last night?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

sebzilla posted:

Not all of the people depicted are Jewish. All of them are capitalists.

It's explicitly anti-capitalist, not anti-semitic.

It's also not particularly good, but, you know. Artistic merit is not the issue.

Eh if I remember rightly the artist is actually anti semetic so the work is bad but Corbyn wasn't involved at any level beyond the comment on the Facebook group so it's pretty irrelevant.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm confused about where the NWO's legs are? On the abused bodies of the prol?

It's like a mural of a group of 6 squeezing onto a small table in Spoons and ordering food.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Brony Car posted:

If a facebook like on an anti capitalist graffiti art project where even the artist didn't think it was about Jewish bankers is the best they've got when they continually whistle past the graveyard of JK Rowling's race of greedy hook nosed banking goblins then it's safe to say they've not got much.

I mean Corbyn supported Early day motions to bring Jewish refugees from Yemen and personally intervened to stop property developers from building flats over a historic Jewish cemetery and is a North London MP ffs, the accusations of antisemitism are paper thin and only done so they can then move onto the news stories about how Jewish people feel there's an Antisemitism problem because they keep on getting told there's an antisemitism problem.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

namesake posted:

Eh if I remember rightly the artist is actually anti semetic so the work is bad

I mean, its badness isn't related to the artist having lovely views.

But yes, the author also has anti-Semitic views.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
“Old man makes Facebook comment on picture without paying enough attention to the picture” is the state of politics in 2019 lol.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brony Car posted:

I know it doesn't matter to you guys what US Jews think

By the way are you saying "us" as in "we" or "US" as in "American"?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What is JessPhillips funding exactly?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Tesseraction posted:

By the way are you saying "us" as in "we" or "US" as in "American"?

American Jews.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my masterplan to destroy the jewish race has been revealed. after years of amassing political power, i shall finally unleash a mildly confused facebook comment on the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I looked at it and couldn't immediately figure out the antisemitism, it just looked like vague conspiracy theory/anticapitalist gumbo to me.

Cos, like, I'm used to the antisemites just copying off the nazis.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Angepain posted:

The SNP's transphobia problem is interesting as, similar to a lot of issues that aren't independence, there's a split between different factions of the party, and the actual TERF contingent seems to be something of a minority. (Anyone actually close to the internal workings of the SNP feel free to expand on this.) Sturgeon herself seems to be in favour of trans rights, but is also willing to make noise and delay stuff to seem as if she's listening to the bigots. This might prevent big splits in the short term but at this stage looks more likely to disappoint both sides. The TERF lot see anything short of actively rolling back trans protections as a capitulation to the dastardly trans lobby, and as a member of the dastardly trans lobby myself it's obvious this is making their criticisms look legitimate when they could, y'know, actually make a stand on something, anything. Yea, verily, you were so focused on fighting the Tories that you didn't fight... The Tories Within. [dramatic music, lightning bolt]

The SNP suspended a trans Councillor for calling someone a TERF, so I think you can work out their policy on it from there. You can be Trans, but just don't make a fuss and don't upset anyone who doesn't want you to exist like Joanna Cherry or Joan McAlpine.

I understand your point, it is a difficult area but just as we criticise the Tories over Islamophobia the SNP should be taken to task for their apparent transphobia when they have MSP's inviting TERF speakers over and openly campaigning against trans people having access to services. Which is all extra weird when you consider Sturgeon's apparent support for trans rights in general.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally just 'If Labour doesn't have an antisemitism problem, why do I keep insisting they do?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brony Car posted:

American Jews.

I mean, I talk to Jewish Americans and they seem to think it's a bullshit smear? As does the Israeli* I know? Like if you're just consorting with Ben Shapiro types then yeah it's gonna be Jeremy Hitler 24/7.

*currently living there as in, I'm not ignoring you Miftan

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is fantastic. I promise I’m trying to get this info in the right hands. Is this based on the current getvoting info or the stuff from last night?

Ha, no worries, I got asked by the local party to take a look at it.

The "data" is just the .json taken from the getvoting.org site today (wget https://www.getvoting.org/NewData.json) which just lists which party the site will tell you to vote for. This is what I was asked to look over.

The vote share etc is all 2017 data from here:
http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7979/HoC-GE2017-constituency-results.csv

To be honest it's a bare bones pass on what data I could find so it's pretty preliminary.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I looked at it and couldn't immediately figure out the antisemitism, it just looked like vague conspiracy theory/anticapitalist gumbo to me.

I think there’s a cultural disconnect here, because it reads obviously as antisemitic to me but also this particular vein of chemtrails/right wing militia/conspiracy new world order type of poo poo is/was common in the US and idk if that is true in Britain.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Of course Ben Shapiro is a *sweatily squints at uncrumpled paper in hand* shonda

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Flipswitch posted:

What is JessPhillips funding exactly?

The Jess Phillips Foundation for Jess Phillips. Sponsored by Jess Phillips

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Eh if I remember rightly the artist is actually anti semetic so the work is bad but Corbyn wasn't involved at any level beyond the comment on the Facebook group so it's pretty irrelevant.
Yeah, the artist is bad. But it's not, from first glance, an explicitly antisemitic piece, especially as a facebook thumbnail. Antisemitic artworks tend to have a lot more Stars of David and horns and swastikas.

I've seen the middle bit shared around a bunch by people saying "if we all stand up, they lose their game table" and similar stuff with no antisemitic intent.

Sucks that the artist's lovely.

OwlFancier posted:

Cos, like, I'm used to the antisemites just copying off the nazis.
Yeah this. It reminds me more of a big mural with an exaggerated John Bull, Uncle Sam, and Napoleon eating the world that used to be in Leicester.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

It seemed like common Elders of Zion imagery to me, but maybe I'm... the... ANTI-SEMITE?!?!

(looks in mirror and realizes that I'm dressed in white Klan robes)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I think there’s a cultural disconnect here, because it reads obviously as antisemitic to me but also this particular vein of chemtrails/right wing militia/conspiracy new world order type of poo poo is/was common in the US and idk if that is true in Britain.

Literally the only thing I can tell is that the baddies have big noses. Which I'd be half inclined to put down to the art style?

Like the inclusion of new world order/illuminati weirdness is strange but otherwise the theme I get is "the painter does not like capitalism".

Are the people in the middle supposed to be particular people because I can only recognize archimedes and gandhi.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The thing that cartoon most reminds me of is Ben Garrison, who drew similar cartoons with similar iconography and it was easy for Nazis to make edits to them that were openly fascist because he was making fascist dogwhistles. Inevitably, after insisting forever that they were smearing him, he ended up falling in with them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Given this and given Jo Swindon's involvement with fracking, could be quite a bit of mileage in this given the new 'green' consciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

When the mural first went up one of the journalists for a Jewish paper (UK one) interviewed the artist and inquired about the anti-Semitic undertones to which the artist seemed shocked and was like "nah I just drew the richest people alive" - as noted, only half of them are Jewish, the other half Christian. At the time the journalist concluded the mural was fair enough.

Said journalist was, years later, retweeting every person possible calling it the most anti-Semitic thing he'd ever seen, until a fellow journalist pointed out the hypocrisy.

Can't remember names for the life of me though - he was more just a "lol and move on" type revelation.