Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

If mps only sit in parliament for four days a week surely I and everyone else can do the same.

And every workplace should have a bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm fully on board for sacking off Monday from the working week forever

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I'm assuming he'd try the former and then the latter. Suspect his sister might invite him round and give him some rubber hose cryptanalysis until he takes the sensible option.
I wonder if the local party could persuade Sujata Barot to stand as a candidate. Her whole thing was "Vaz's machine is out of control and Labour used to be good but are now bad" and hopefully both of those will be gone before the election.

VideoGames posted:

If mps only sit in parliament for four days a week surely I and everyone else can do the same.
I like your new av.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

SpaceCommie posted:

I'm a pretty junior member (only signed up in 2015 and I've only sporadically made meetings and canvassing where I can since).

All this really shows is that there's a discrepancy between the 2017 election results and the parties suggested by the website. I'm not sure how interesting that really is, if they're using more recent polling data/the EUs/locals then this is pretty meaningless (though the website should really make it clear how their predictions are made).

Junior member schmunior member, I only joined a month and a half ago and now I’m organising this poo poo!

All we really need is a tech person to explain exactly and clearly what the data means. Don’t worry too much if you don’t think it’s a slam dunk or anything. If you’re on Twitter, send this guy a DM - @callumcant1 - and he’ll have a chat with you. If you’re not on Twitter let me know and I’ll sort something else out.

By the way, the “other data” I was referring to is this: https://pastebin.com/LC7dsNsf. Someone else scraped the .json from last night, before they changed it. Might be worth a look.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
If Bercow is standing down today, what happens to the Speaker? Will he still be acting Speaker until a new one is chosen or will the last few days be dedicated to all parties attempting and failing to appoint a replacement?

I recall that the attempts to stop the abortion and equal marriage laws in Stormont the other week were thwarted by there not being an official speaker to conduct the session. Will it be similar?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

painted into a coroner posted:

If Bercow is standing down today, what happens to the Speaker? Will he still be acting Speaker until a new one is chosen or will the last few days be dedicated to all parties attempting and failing to appoint a replacement?

I recall that the attempts to stop the abortion and equal marriage laws in Stormont the other week were thwarted by there not being an official speaker to conduct the session. Will it be similar?

Ken Clarke will step in until either a new speaker is elected or Parliament is suspended.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Don't make me stairs you in Slack ;)

Got to set up a secret goon faction within Labour.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

Labour government would 'immediately' start buying property to house rough sleepers, says Corbyn

Jeremy Corbyn has said that Labour will “immediately” start rehousing the homeless if it wins the election. Speaking at a campaign event in Milton Keynes, Corbyn called the level of homelessness in the UK a “disgrace and insult to our country”, and promised a Labour government would end austerity. As the Press Assocaition reports, he said:

quote:

On our first day in office, we will immediately buy all the properties necessary to house the rough sleepers.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Rustybear posted:

+ need your leader doing big headline grabbing events up and down the country throughout the campaign and not locked into their local constituency in a door-knocking death match.

Next election we should chase Boris out of his new constituency, then the next one and so on, and in no more than 3,250 years we'll have chased him out of the entire UK! :toot:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gonzo McFee posted:

And every workplace should have a bar.

My workplace apparently used to have a bar, I can't even imagine what that's like

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

SpaceCommie posted:

I'm a pretty junior member (only signed up in 2015 and I've only sporadically made meetings and canvassing where I can since).

All this really shows is that there's a discrepancy between the 2017 election results and the parties suggested by the website. I'm not sure how interesting that really is, if they're using more recent polling data/the EUs/locals then this is pretty meaningless (though the website should really make it clear how their predictions are made).

Oh, and if you don’t have Twitter, you can fill out the form here: https://strategyofrefusal.com/contact/

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

My workplace apparently used to have a bar, I can't even imagine what that's like

Old timers at my work talk about how they used to get free everything and they got their works night out paid for.

Work sounds like it was a lot better before the Credit Crunch.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1189927543119450114

Boris got boo'd out of a hospital.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

All we really need is a tech person to explain exactly and clearly what the data means. Don’t worry too much if you don’t think it’s a slam dunk or anything. If you’re on Twitter, send this guy a DM - @callumcant1 - and he’ll have a chat with you. If you’re not on Twitter let me know and I’ll sort something else out.

Oh god the Bastani lot are organizing the campaign now?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Gonzo McFee posted:

Boris got boo'd out of a hospital.

If Labour don't start using the slogan 'Time to ditch Boris' at some point during this campaign I will be extremely disappointed :colbert:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

sebzilla posted:

Keith Vaz suspended for six months for ""expressing a willingness" to help buy cocaine for male prostitutes"

Is he standing for re-election? Going to be tricky on the doorstep.

Do you want your MP to be the kind of guy who doesn't buy their male prostitutes some cocaine?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
The last time I travelled for work I left my hotel bar booze on the expenses claim because I correctly surmised the faceless HR department were probably too lazy or incompetent to notice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

If Labour don’t win a majority Corbyn should resign.

Never bet on things you want to happen.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

An acquaintence I know in the finance sector (I knew them briefly through family) had a fridge at work the receptionists restocked daily and they would just drink on the job. Apparently they had an intern who had just finished sixth form and was waiting to go to finance school in the autumn.

Obviously he thought this poo poo was the greatest thing in his life so he joined in gleefully and tried to drink match these much-older guys. Shortly after lunch he stumbled off to the toilet and hadn't come back for like 40 minutes so they went to check on him, chuckling that he'd probably fallen asleep.

They found him on the floor of the toilet with his trousers down and a giant poo poo trail from the toilet. It appears he'd sat down to drop his guts, realised there wasn't toilet paper and gotten up to get some but couldn't or didn't remember to not start making GBS threads but this then apparently got under his shoes make him fall on the floor, after which he tried to crawl to the sink out of a desperate desire to right this horror show.

However he was too drunk and passed out, leaving the scene for them to all find. Like a stabbed man crawling in search of rescue leaving a blood trail in their wake. But a drinked man, and smushing a poop trail.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

They were actually saying "Boo-ris"!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ms Fuchi posted:

No one knows what it like to be a dustbin, in Shaftesbury, with hooligans...

I get and appreciate this reference!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Good point, we've not heard from Seaside Loafer in ages

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tesseraction posted:

That's what I said but I got tackled as I tried to enter the commons

You gotta dress the part, then you can show up every week for years and no one notices, though you might attract voters.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
"Jo Swindon" sounds like TV talk for a generic voter now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder what's better, the may approach of avoiding everyone, or the boris approach of getting screamed at by everyone wherever you go.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Fakename posted:

Junior member schmunior member, I only joined a month and a half ago and now I’m organising this poo poo!

By the way, the “other data” I was referring to is this: https://pastebin.com/LC7dsNsf. Someone else scraped the .json from last night, before they changed it. Might be worth a look.

Is there much of a call for tech work on a volunteer basis, either for Momentum or Labour? I'd like to get involved doing something, but I fear that computer touching is possibly my only valuable skill.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder what's better, the may approach of avoiding everyone, or the boris approach of getting screamed at by everyone wherever you go.

There was an article a few years back talking about how exposing yourself to negative comments from the plebs can often give campaigning prime ministers a popularity boost, as it falsely portrays them as an underdog.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Since that brain surgery I think writing has been difficult for him. Think he said he lurks still though.

Hi, if you're reading, Loafer!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

I hope he's OK. :ohdear: Voting the cemetery is Tory work.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

sebzilla posted:

Not all of the people depicted are Jewish. All of them are capitalists.

It's explicitly anti-capitalist, not anti-semitic.

It's also not particularly good, but, you know. Artistic merit is not the issue.

Nahhhh careful they went and found the artist and he's a bit of an anti semite and definitely meant the noses as a deliberate portrayal

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Massive disappointment that he said 'buy' and not 'seize'

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Surprise T Rex posted:

Is there much of a call for tech work on a volunteer basis, either for Momentum or Labour? I'd like to get involved doing something, but I fear that computer touching is possibly my only valuable skill.

We definitely need computer touchers!

Fill this in: https://forms.gle/rSApq7hYfYSKzKzg6

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Never bet on things you want to happen.

I spread bet to favour No Overall Majority

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Why on earth did he decide to do his hospital visit in Cambridge instead of somewhere full of Tories?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You gotta dress the part, then you can show up every week for years and no one notices, though you might attract voters.
Dress the part like suit and tie, or dress the part like an outrageous 17th century gilded suit, a parson's hat with a two foot brim, a monocle, a gold plated war hammer, and a partridge under your arm so that everyone assumes that you're filling some official function lost to time?

Coohoolin posted:

Nahhhh careful they went and found the artist and he's a bit of an anti semite and definitely meant the noses as a deliberate portrayal
He pointed out who they were supposed to be and they're all based on real people, about half of them Jewish.

But it was later dug up he'd made earlier comments about the "rich Jews that control the world" and stuff, so yeah. (Apparently, at least, that's all been removed from the articles on it now.)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CGI Stardust posted:

Jeremy Corbyn has mastered the art of Hokuto no Ken Livingstone

ed: wildlife tax, this time the bullfinch

We call thatt a "domherre", literal translation would be "judgment lord".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Qwertycoatl posted:

Why on earth did he decide to do his hospital visit in Cambridge instead of somewhere full of Tories?

Because he's very smart.

Nah, kidding aside, Addenbrooke's is in Heidi Allen's seat. Until she quit for CUKTIG it had been a Tory seat since creation in 1997, and the seats it was created out of were both Tory from their creation in 1983. If the Tories want a majority they really need to be winning South Cambridgeshire.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

We call thatt a "domherre", literal translation would be "judgment lord".

over here we have dumhair, which translates to "somehow, prime minister"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guavanaut posted:

Dress the part like suit and tie, or dress the part like an outrageous 17th century gilded suit, a parson's hat with a two foot brim, a monocle, a gold plated war hammer, and a partridge under your arm so that everyone assumes that you're filling some official function lost to time?

Either works, though leaning towards the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Angry Lobster posted:

They were actually saying "Boo-ris"!

Quick and dirty.