Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So good at The Cyber, you guys.

EDIT: Cybersecurity Cat Tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

So, the NYT Reddit account is Michael at the moment, and answering softball questions. That's literally all the response so far.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shifty Pony posted:

He also did an AMA and also got absolutely savaged in it. To the point that other reporters were asking "why did you ever think this was a good idea?"

But were people demanding he defend the network's decisions on what to cover and how much?

e: or their decision to hire Lewandowski(sp?)

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Paradoxish posted:

I wasn't asking about the law or precedent, I was asking why you feel that the police shouldn't be held financially responsible for damage that they cause to third parties. Even if their actions are reasonable, why shouldn't they be held responsible? They can always attempt to recover the money from the person who committed the crime themselves, after all. It's unclear to me why you feel that this burden should fall on innocent third parties.

You know what, I hadn't thought of it that way. I've tried to come up with a reasonable response that doesn't sound like I'm encouraging cops to come up with more violent tactics and I can't do it. I mean I'm OK with cops destroying personal property in furtherance of stopping a dangerous situation when there's an existential threat (like a person with a gun holed-up in a house with a gun), and if it doesn't actually get anyone killed. However I concede that the burden should fall on the cops or the city/state that employs them to make innocent folks whole immediately, and sort-out insurance and subrogation later.

This would likely tamp-down these sorts of extreme shows of force, but I wonder if it would lead to unintended consequences, like a cop refusing to smash a car window to save a kid on a hot day due to property liability.

I think overall I got a bit caught up in defending myself that I made dumb arguments ITT, so for that I also apologize.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Shifty Pony posted:

He also did an AMA and also got absolutely savaged in it. To the point that other reporters were asking "why did you ever think this was a good idea?"

I don't care to argue the exact % distribution of "gently caress offs" Haberman has earned vs. other trash journalists who also soft-pedal fascism for access, but it's... a vast quantity.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Somewhere a writer for The Onion had to just throw out the draft of an article they were writing.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Somewhere a writer for The Onion had to just throw out the draft of an article they were writing.

I worked on this satire article for 5 years and he literally goes and does it. Then tweets it out

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

ewiley posted:

I think overall I got a bit caught up in defending myself that I made dumb arguments ITT, so for that I also apologize.

Yeah, sort of like this one you typed out right above your line here:

ewiley posted:

This would likely tamp-down these sorts of extreme shows of force, but I wonder if it would lead to unintended consequences, like a cop refusing to smash a car window to save a kid on a hot day due to property liability.

Seriously, dude? This would literally never happen ever.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Maggie Haberman doesn't deserve defense, she chose to work that soul-sucking job, nobody forced her. And I doubt that she has ever revealed anything authentically "damaging" about Trump that we couldn't have surmised about him without her rear end-kissing disguised as reporting.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

VH4Ever posted:

Really, there would be zero consequences to this?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

ewiley posted:

To the degree that a cop would just let a kid die in a car rather than suffer them? No.

A window is a like a few hundred bucks. Maybe before you post on this topic you should remove your head from up your rear end because your hypotheticals just do not seem to be based in any sort of reality so far.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ewiley posted:

Well that's pretty unlikely since police officers are basically never allowed to be sued for damages personally.

There are examples where the officer was violating departmental policy and orders from their supervisor, but you still can't sue them personally.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm not a huge fan of free market solutions, but forcing police departments to carry insurance and removing exemptions to them getting sued like this would probably help solve a ton of police brutality.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Zore posted:

I mean so far its been up for an hour and they've answered no questions so not much of an AMA :v:

Also its kinda telling the AMA is for both Haberman and Michael Schmidt and everyone is just ignoring him to dunk on her

I couldn’t find the AMA but aren’t most AMA’s by famous people usually done at a set time and they open the thread early so people can ask questions and upvote the best ones? Usually they don’t make the post and immediately start answering questions.

edit: ok i did find it and they’re answering questions now

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ewiley posted:

Probably not, no.

I mean for one thing, leaving a kid in a hot car is negligent, the court isn't going to find that you're owed money for damages that result as a consequence of your own negligence especially since the cop in that situation is plainly reducing the harm that resulted.

E: Let's just think this through real quick. In general I'm responsible for damages if I break other people's car windows. Does that mean I'm responsible if I do it to save their kid, has any kid ever died of heat stroke because someone feared they'd have to pay for a broken window if they saved him.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 31, 2019

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

ewiley posted:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0768/Sections/0768.139.html

Since I'm in Florida and looked this up before, and you used it as a specific example, this is literally written into Florida law, and I know other states have similar laws. This applies to everyone, not just law enforcement.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

VitalSigns posted:

Probably not, no.

I mean for one thing, leaving a kid in a hot car is negligent, the court isn't going to find that you're owed money for damages that result as a consequence of your own negligence.

Right, wouldn't that be like the "Hey, gently caress your windows, you parked in front of a fire hydrant" side of the law?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VH4Ever posted:

I suspect they probably break the window and leave the owner on the hook for it because they saved their kid from dying due to their ngeligence

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zore posted:

I mean so far its been up for an hour and they've answered no questions so not much of an AMA :v:

Also its kinda telling the AMA is for both Haberman and Michael Schmidt and everyone is just ignoring him to dunk on her

No one knows who Michael Schmidt is.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/benfergusonshow/status/1189944948344393732

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Aaron Sorkin would like to apologize for making Zuckerberg look cool (no word on apologizing about making centrism seem smart)

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1189946642847297536

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/208277697279963137

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

You almost got me, I'll admit.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I thought Trump tweeted this out today at first and was prepared for a complete collapse.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

The Glumslinger posted:

Aaron Sorkin would like to apologize for making Zuckerberg look cool (no word on apologizing about making centrism seem smart)

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1189946642847297536

Uh, "Zuck is cool, actually" is very much not the message that film sends

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

Uh, "Zuck is cool, actually" is very much not the message that film sends

no, but it does humanize him more than he deserves

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

who is the defector, gabbard?

I know she's been talking pretty openly about her plans to sabotage the party, but has she given any indication she's attacking the impeachment? (Not asking rhetorically).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I know she's been talking pretty openly about her plans to sabotage the party, but has she given any indication she's attacking the impeachment? (Not asking rhetorically).

No, she hasn't...she issued one statement right after the inquiry was announced, but abruptly changed course and supported it like a week later. Gabbard sucks, but she wasn't either of the defectors this time.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

oxsnard posted:

I swear to god that Zuckerberg has the most soulless loving eyes. There's no humanity in there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

oxsnard posted:

Only because Eisenberg did an excellent job infusing personality into the role. I do wonder how emotionally similar Zuckerberg is to the character on-screen, and I don't think we have enough information about his private (lol) behavior to know that.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

VH4Ever posted:

A window is a like a few hundred bucks.

Also, other issues with the hypothetical aside...cops know how to pop the lock on most car doors without breaking the window, because this is a common problem. And the party analogous to the criminal here would be whatever moron let their kid get locked in their car, so the restitution issue seems moot.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Defectors were Collin Peterson and Jeff Van Drew

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oxsnard posted:

I’m not sure we watched the same movie

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

mdemone posted:

Only because Eisenberg did an excellent job infusing personality into the role. I do wonder how emotionally similar Zuckerberg is to the character on-screen, and I don't think we have enough information about his private (lol) behavior to know that.

listen to the Behind the Bastards episodes on Zuck. He actually isn't a robot but a rather complete psychopath LOL

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What are our strategies moving forward, boys?

Well, have you considered...a tax cut?!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-p...with-democrats/

quote:

White House officials and congressional Republicans have begun early talks on a new package of tax reductions and economic growth measures, under pressure from President Trump who is agitating to announce a new tax cut proposal heading into the 2020 election.

The discussions are preliminary and far from the decision stage, according to officials involved. The timeline is unclear, but White House National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow is playing a lead role, people briefed on the talks said.

The early-stage discussions reflect Trump’s desire to refocus the economic narrative amid some signs of a slowing economy, and after the major Republican tax-cut package of 2017 failed to produce enduring economic benefits or political gains for the GOP.

“We are having those discussions with the White House, we’ll be engaging with them further, and we’ll have discussions with Republicans too in the House, about what we think the most pro-growth elements can be, the most pro-innovation, and I think the key is to make permanent some of the key provisions as well in tax reform,” said Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas), the top Republican on the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee.

The US economy is a dead man walking, the President is about to be impeached, the last round of tax cuts were a disaster, and they're likely going to lose senate seats.

So Trump is just resorting to bribery.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

How are u posted:

I swear to god that Zuckerberg has the most soulless loving eyes. There's no humanity in there.

There was a picture of his Madame Toussad (sp?) wax figure posted a while back and it looked more alive then I have ever seen him look.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I’m not sure we watched the same movie

I watched it prior to knowing about the stuff that went on behind the scenes, much like most viewers of the film. I came away neutral fwiw

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

oxsnard posted:

Jesse Eisenberg just isn't up to the task of playing a robot :smith:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

skylined! posted:

This line of thought lays the blame at citizens rather than the brutal authoritarian figures that enact violence against civilians. Police are not brutal because of the threat of The Gun, but certainly use that threat as an excuse to enact violence.

I'm not blaming the citizens at all, I'm not sure where you're getting that. You're essentially agreeing with me -- the threat of The Gun is an excuse to enact violence, so if that goes away then there's less excuse for cops to constantly be in "fear" for their lives. The prevalence of guns is just one part of the system that allows cops to act like they're in a warzone every time they step out of the station.

e: lol there have been 7 pages since 9am, sorry if this is from a ways back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

What are our strategies moving forward, boys?

Well, have you considered...a tax cut?!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-p...with-democrats/

The US economy is a dead man walking, the President is about to be impeached, the last round of tax cuts were a disaster, and they're likely going to lose senate seats.

So Trump is just resorting to bribery.

Any money given to Corey Gardner is no better than lighting it on fire. His odds of winning in 2020 have got to be approaching zero, especially if Hickenlooper runs