Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Qylvaran posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an amp simulator that would work well with a harmonica and bullet mic? I've seen a few free ones; would it be worth my time to download a bunch and compare them? I'm trying to have fun with this hobby, but I keep hitting decision paralysis at every turn.

Amplitube lets you buy stuff a la carte and demo stuff for free, as well as having a few decent free starter amps. They have a lot of vintage Fender models that should suit a harmonica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

Amplitube lets you buy stuff a la carte and demo stuff for free, as well as having a few decent free starter amps. They have a lot of vintage Fender models that should suit a harmonica.

Thanks! This seems like a good start to play around with.

Simone Poodoin posted:

oh I thought I had posted the link to PB sorry about that

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/5594

No problem. I tried to find it myself on the site but could only find versions that were on sale but still cost money.

Having fun so far playing around with synths and effects and stuff, but I haven't really made anything yet. Y'know what I mean? Eventually I'm going to have to convince myself that I know enough to record a whole song.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sure would be nice if there were a modular tutorial somewhere. All the presets are crazy insane links. How about making a blip bloop that doesn't entail endless hum and feedback? Even looking for real modular "simple" set-ups it's a bunch of people posting "you need these 10 things and that would be a good place to start for $2500" and I'm like gently caress you. How about an Oscillator, a filter and an amp for $50 somewhere. Thanks.

gently caress.

C'mon Behringerrrrrr.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Sure would be nice if there were a modular tutorial somewhere.
How much patience do you have?

quote:

Even looking for real modular "simple" set-ups it's a bunch of people posting "you need these 10 things and that would be a good place to start for $2500" and I'm like gently caress you. How about an Oscillator, a filter and an amp for $50 somewhere. Thanks.

I talked to a friend who's deep in the rabbit hole and the dirty secret of even simple monosynths like an SH101 or a Pro-1 is that they do a lot of work for you behind the scenes (i.e. hardwired modulation routings with minimized controls) that, if it had to be spelled out individually, is going to cost you.

Sure, you can connect the oscillator to the filter. Want two oscillators? Whoops, you need a mixer. You can connect the filter's output to the amplifier, but amplifiers don't necessarily come with built-in envelopes because they have no reason to; so an actual envelope consists of both an envelope generator and a voltage-controlled amplifier. Want to control the filter cutoff with both an LFO and an envelope at the same time? Mixer.

You can never have too many mixers and multiples, and if you want to have results that are somewhat consistent you need buffered ones too. All of that stuff is already taken care of in monosynths, where you just have to accept that the LFO may not track the keyboard per se, is monophonic, and only comes in triangle flavor, and because none of those controls need to be exposed, it's just a trace with a switch instead of a fully realized user interface.

On the other hand, that makes things like the K2 and Crave and Mother 32 and Neutron really cheap starters if you want a single "voice".

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm slowly realizing that. I'd probably be best off with a Neutron, Crave and whatever else comes down the line. Until someone comes out with a cost effective starter kit that wouldn't be a total waste if I never progressed beyond the kit itself.

Or just stick with the VSTs and go crosseyed for a bit.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
So reason announced its basically starting its slow pivot to plug ins.

Now you can use reason rack extensions and other stuff as plug ins in your favorite DAW starting september 25th.

https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/new

I dont know if that's exciting to anyone...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

apatheticman posted:

So reason announced its basically starting its slow pivot to plug ins.

Now you can use reason rack extensions and other stuff as plug ins in your favorite DAW starting september 25th.

https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/new

I dont know if that's exciting to anyone...
It's exciting to me as a Reason user of 12 years. A couple of the stock Combinator pianos are my favorite pianos I've ever used. No other piano plugins have sounded as good to me. Now I can use those pianos in Ableton, which I've been hoping for for years. I might actually be able to feasibly build a live set now!

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I was excited by the thought of being able to use my Reason MIDI/Player devices in Live until it was confirmed that the Rack VST will not feature MIDI out (yet). Lame.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://sampleson.com/SUB-free-analog-drums.html

Free analog drum plugin just for sharing this on social networks. I'm working on some vaporwave and vaporwave-inspired stuff, so this came at a great time!

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Does anyone have thoughts on Jamstix? Since moving to Studio One I'm looking for a replacement for Logic's Drummer function. I have Superior Drummer but I mostly use that for the actual kit sounds; none of its MIDI grooves that I've messed with really appeal to me. What I really liked with Logic was the "Follow" feature. I could record a guitar/bass track and tell the drummer to follow it and it'd give me a good starting point to mess around with. Of course I should probably just buy an electronic drum kit and learn how to use that, but that's for another day.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like SoundToys is offering PhaseMistress for $29 during a flash sale.

As with most SoundToys plugins, if it's $29 I am buying it no matter what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bpCHq1dw5w

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, are the Slate plugins all access really $15/year? :eyepop:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
No, it's deceptive. It's $15 per month if you want to pay for a year in advance but still want to be billed monthly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

No, it's deceptive. It's $15 per month if you want to pay for a year in advance but still want to be billed monthly.

Sons of bitches :argh:

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Is there a reason I can drag midi grooves from Superior Drummer 3 from the Web Shop that I haven't purchased into a track on Reaper?

Am I supposed to be able to do this?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I recently purchased a Komplete Kontrol A49 keyboard and am really loving it so far. It came with Komplete Start which is a really watered down version of Komplete, but has gotten me familiar with their ecosystem and a few of their instruments / effects. I noticed that they have a discounted upgrade to Komplete 12 Select available for $99 and with my two vouchers totalling $50, that would be a pretty cheap upgrade. Now of course, Komplete 12 Select is missing a lot of the instruments / effects that I would really like to own (they appear in the full version), but I am thinking that this upgrade price is a steal and would definitely reduce the cost to upgrade in the future to the full version of Komplete. Would be interested in hearing people's feedback on Komplete 12 so far. I mostly make hip-hop music and it seems like a lot of my favorite producers all own Komplete 12.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

What the hell, I thought all hardware came with Select? Are there pricing tiers? Start is completely free for anybody. Do wait for upgrade discounts if you want to go up from Select, the 50% thing should still be valid after 13 releases, this summer's discount worked for 8-12 owners.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

MrSargent posted:

I recently purchased a Komplete Kontrol A49 keyboard and am really loving it so far. It came with Komplete Start which is a really watered down version of Komplete, but has gotten me familiar with their ecosystem and a few of their instruments / effects. I noticed that they have a discounted upgrade to Komplete 12 Select available for $99 and with my two vouchers totalling $50, that would be a pretty cheap upgrade. Now of course, Komplete 12 Select is missing a lot of the instruments / effects that I would really like to own (they appear in the full version), but I am thinking that this upgrade price is a steal and would definitely reduce the cost to upgrade in the future to the full version of Komplete. Would be interested in hearing people's feedback on Komplete 12 so far. I mostly make hip-hop music and it seems like a lot of my favorite producers all own Komplete 12.

Double check the fine print: they might not let you stack vouchers, and also might not let you use vouchers on discounted items (though I think the $99 upgrade to Select is normal upgrade pricing, not discounted). Komplete is great, especially if you're just starting out and don't already have other plugins that overlap with what Komplete provides. However, Komplete Select is very limited from what I can tell. It looks like the only staples it contains are Massive and Monark. No Reaktor, no Kontakt, no Battery, no FM8, no Absynth, no Guitar Rig, no Massive X. Select will give you a cheaper upgrade path to Komplete proper, but might give you much in the meantime. If you can get it to $50 with your vouchers it might be a decent deal for Massive + Monark + cheaper upgrade path, however, if not, keep in mind NI does sales on upgrades periodically (usually at least in the summer, but maybe again for black friday or around the new year) that often cut the upgrade costs by 50%. So if you can wait, there will be a better time to make the move to Komplete.

Ruffian Price posted:

What the hell, I thought all hardware came with Select? Are there pricing tiers? Start is completely free for anybody.
Think it's only S-keyboards and non-mikro Machines. The cheaper hardware gives you an upgrade path to Select.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
iZotope is currently giving away Ozone Elements for free until 10/2: https://www.izotope.com/en/lp/ozone-elements-free.html

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Even if you don't plan to use it, it's worth having a license just for the eventual upgrade offers. But I stand by the Master Assistant, it can be surprisingly good

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ruffian Price posted:

Even if you don't plan to use it, it's worth having a license just for the eventual upgrade offers. But I stand by the Master Assistant, it can be surprisingly good

Kinda wondering if anyone else has used the mastering assistant like this. When I finish a mix, I will usually throw on Ozone 8 and use the Mastering Assistant to give me a suggestion on a mastering chain. One thing I have found is that if my mix is sub-par (or just flat out sucks), mastering to -12LUFS can start to sound pretty distorted and generally not good. But if my mix is really solid, I can sometimes master to -10LUFS and not hear distortion. This has definitely helped on multiple tracks I have mixed / mastered myself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I personally can't wait to get into finally using (a version of) Ozone, after hearing so many things about it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MrSargent posted:

Kinda wondering if anyone else has used the mastering assistant like this. When I finish a mix, I will usually throw on Ozone 8 and use the Mastering Assistant to give me a suggestion on a mastering chain. One thing I have found is that if my mix is sub-par (or just flat out sucks), mastering to -12LUFS can start to sound pretty distorted and generally not good. But if my mix is really solid, I can sometimes master to -10LUFS and not hear distortion. This has definitely helped on multiple tracks I have mixed / mastered myself.
Waves L3 popularized an IMO fantastic technique you can also use with Ozone. First move your Threshold to 0.0dB and link the Threshold and Ceiling controls using the button at the bottom:

Ceiling is just output gain (I thought it was a clipper at first). So now as you move both of those controls downwards, you won't hear an increase in level - get as low as possible without audible distortion, then unlink the controls, raise Ceiling to 0.0dB again and bam, you're halfway there.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I often use Mastering Assistant to check my EQs and see where everything's sitting in the mix. If it's suggesting really substantial changes in a certain frequency band, I'll try tinkering around with levels/EQ/ducking on instruments in that range and re-running Mastering Assistant until the EQ changes it suggests are minimal. I don't have the most reliable monitors in the world (Rokit 5"s), so it's a really helpful sanity check on my mixes.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

I often use Mastering Assistant to check my EQs and see where everything's sitting in the mix. If it's suggesting really substantial changes in a certain frequency band, I'll try tinkering around with levels/EQ/ducking on instruments in that range and re-running Mastering Assistant until the EQ changes it suggests are minimal. I don't have the most reliable monitors in the world (Rokit 5"s), so it's a really helpful sanity check on my mixes.

This is an awesome tip that I haven't used before. Thanks!

Ruffian Price posted:

Waves L3 popularized an IMO fantastic technique you can also use with Ozone. First move your Threshold to 0.0dB and link the Threshold and Ceiling controls using the button at the bottom:

Ceiling is just output gain (I thought it was a clipper at first). So now as you move both of those controls downwards, you won't hear an increase in level - get as low as possible without audible distortion, then unlink the controls, raise Ceiling to 0.0dB again and bam, you're halfway there.

Another awesome tip that I can't wait to try out, thanks guys!

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water
XLN Audio has a flash sale:
DS-10 drum shaper https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_fx/effect/ds-10_drum_shaper
Addictive Drums 2 https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_drums_2

I have no idea about the quality, but got this in the mail and wanted to share in case someone would want a discount on this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DjLando posted:

XLN Audio has a flash sale:
DS-10 drum shaper https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_fx/effect/ds-10_drum_shaper
Addictive Drums 2 https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_drums_2

I have no idea about the quality, but got this in the mail and wanted to share in case someone would want a discount on this.

I have addictive drums 1 and 2 and it's awesome.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I was so utterly disappointed with the Ross Robinson kits for AD2, not only do they not have what I would associate with being 'his sound' (ie first 2 KoRn albums, Limp Bizkit's debut, the first couple Soulfly records--big raw cracky sometimes funky sounds), they didn't sound good or fit in a mix at all. Horrendously plastic, it's almost like he mixed them as a trolling exercise (which I wouldn't put past him tbh).

Some of the other AD2 kits like the Ludwig silver sparkle sound wicked, and the electronic drum sounds can be fun.

On a tangent, anyone looking for realistic drum samples should grab the free version of Steven Slate Drums 5. I have no restraint so after about 30 mins of the free one I purchased the full thing as it was on discount.

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water
XLN audio again; flash sale.

https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_drums_2/adpak
https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_fx/effect/ds-10_drum_shaper
https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_trigger

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Soundtoys has Tremolator on sale for $29 for today only. You can get it on their site or PluginBoutique and maybe the other sites.

As with all their plugins, they are an insta-buy at this price.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 23, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Philthy posted:

Soundtoys has Tremolator on sale for $29 for today only. You can get it on their site or PluginBoutique and maybe the other sites.

As with all their plugins, they are an insta-buy at this price.

Ooh. Playing with autogating was one of the next things on my list to learn. I mean, I could do it with a free Reaper script plugin that writes out automation, but this looks a lot easier.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If you're looking for more pure gating, A1TriggerGate is free and worth a look. It's not as complex as Tremolator but if you want a pure gate effect this'll do it. But of you want warped out insanity then Tremolator will do it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 24, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Philthy posted:

If you're looking for more pure gating, A1TriggerGate is free and worth a look. It's not as complex as Tremolator but if you want a pure gate effect this'll do it. But of you want warped out insanity then Tremolator will do it.

Thanks!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Tremolator is dope AF.

Get it and get creative with your effect chains using it.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Longshot here, but I did a bit of google searching and no luck:

Back in 2014 or so, I got Ampex AVX, the IK plugin, for Amplitube 3.

After all this time I've finally updated to 64 bit ableton live 9. Went through all the upgrade and IK authorization stuff, so it shows I own the Ampeg effects pedals.

But when attempting to use Amplitube 4, I only have access to the Ampeg 1 amps. All the pedals and effects that I originally own (ie all custom shop stuff) pop up with the message "must have Amplitube 4 to use, purchase below"... which is literally what I'm using.

Did they gently caress the old version of SVX somehow? Tried reinstall and reauth, but as is it seems i'm stuck with about 1/6 of the things I paid for. In the auth manager it says I own them, but the VST plugin is limiting me to what's pretty much a lite version.

Sure, I can upgrade to SVX 2 for $50, but since I spent $100 on the original, I'm a bit annoyed I can't use what I paid for. Especially since I'm trying to update old tracks for band stuff, and I'll have to recreate from scratch (since everything was using the separate SVX plugin which no longer exists).

As a side note, is there a way to roll back to the Ampeg SVX VST/Amplitube 3 on 64 bit? No longer have the installers, and if that's the quickest way it's what i'll do.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Slothful Bong posted:

Longshot here, but I did a bit of google searching and no luck:

Back in 2014 or so, I got Ampex AVX, the IK plugin, for Amplitube 3.

After all this time I've finally updated to 64 bit ableton live 9. Went through all the upgrade and IK authorization stuff, so it shows I own the Ampeg effects pedals.

But when attempting to use Amplitube 4, I only have access to the Ampeg 1 amps. All the pedals and effects that I originally own (ie all custom shop stuff) pop up with the message "must have Amplitube 4 to use, purchase below"... which is literally what I'm using.

Did they gently caress the old version of SVX somehow? Tried reinstall and reauth, but as is it seems i'm stuck with about 1/6 of the things I paid for. In the auth manager it says I own them, but the VST plugin is limiting me to what's pretty much a lite version.

Sure, I can upgrade to SVX 2 for $50, but since I spent $100 on the original, I'm a bit annoyed I can't use what I paid for. Especially since I'm trying to update old tracks for band stuff, and I'll have to recreate from scratch (since everything was using the separate SVX plugin which no longer exists).

As a side note, is there a way to roll back to the Ampeg SVX VST/Amplitube 3 on 64 bit? No longer have the installers, and if that's the quickest way it's what i'll do.

You can still get the installer for Amplitube 3, in case that helps. I just installed it the other day. (Haven't been using it for a while, and never bothered upgrading to 4).

To find it, I had to log in to my IK account on their site, then click the user icon > my products. There are download links there.

Edit: Amplitube 3 also seems to actually still work, but no telling how long that'll last. It looks like it hasn't been updated since 2015.

I don't know how all the custom shop stuff works, but might be worth contacting IK support.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 1, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

plugin companies are usually over the moon when someone with an actual bought copy contacts them for support, don't worry

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Hah cool, thanks guys! I wonder if my issue stems from Amplitube 4 itself, so I'll check 3 then go from there.

I went legit a long while back, but still have that "with enough time anything can be fixed" attitude, so contacting a plugin company is a weird thing, lol. Never thought about how rare legit users are though!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'd like to control some hardware monosynths from my DAW as a single instrument. Is there a plugin that can rotate/round robin the midi channel of each note I play?

Also, this album comes with a neat VST for a buck. https://micahfrank.bandcamp.com/album/all-the-roads-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I THINK cubase can do that built in.