Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fangz posted:

No, volition tells you to do it *because* it's impossible. My read is that volition's angle here is that actually doing the gulags is probably bad, but hey, you gotta have some hope.

That's more what I meant. Volition tells you to believe in something, and generally to hope you can do it better. The whole communism thought sequence is really good, including the bit where Rhetoric pipes up with 'Awesome, let's break a few million eggs for this omelette' as you can go 'wait, what, camps?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fangz posted:

No, volition tells you to do it *because* it's impossible. My read is that volition's angle here is that actually doing the gulags is probably bad, but hey, you gotta have some hope.

Yeah, Volition is the eternal optimist. Communism only failed because you in particular haven't attempted it yet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, Volition is the eternal optimist. Communism only failed because you in particular haven't attempted it yet.

Nah. I'd argue that volition is *hopepunk*. Rhetoric is an optimist.

( https://festive.ninja/one-atom-of-justice-one-molecule-of-mercy-and-the-empire-of-unsheathed-knives-alexandra-rowland/ )

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You also get to ask her stuff about what happened in your room way before the interrogation
That's a Reaction Speed check, it's got nothing to do with you attempting that Suggestion check earlier.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

On that note i’m enjoying the game constantly going “hey lets discuss politics” but letting me go “nah got a murder to solve”.

I did become a feminist but that doesn’t count that’s just common sense. :allears:

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

If you then become a fascist afterwards, your brain (or, rather, gut) just about explodes from cognitive dissonance, especially if you insist on keeping both of them.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Inland Empire is your internal landscape and at times your ability to probe the consciousness of others, Shivers is your external. They're pretty closely connected, hence why I think high Psy/Fys was probably the most emotionally resonant playthrough I had, especially with the phasmid at the end.

Yeah this is the impression I got. with my psy main I noticed that a lot of the inland empire checks are like film noir max payne metaphor versions of how empathy describes other people

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I took the volition communist line to be something like the Shirou vs Archer scene in UBW. So yeah, even if the path is impossible and will only lead to dissapointment, nihilism and death it doesn't mean that its not to right choice to make. Because the thing that counts is the desire to bring about a better world.

Which is hilarious because you do end up like Archer after you internalize the thought

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, wow, you can knock the bill at Rags down to only 30 if you engage raging feminist mode.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Do internalized thoughts unlock conversation options and such, or is just having them enough and internalizing is for stats only?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Do internalized thoughts unlock conversation options and such, or is just having them enough and internalizing is for stats only?

My character somehow comes up with a lot of nationalist and misogynist comments despite not even allowing them into my cabinet but it might be because I internalized ADVANCED RACE THEORY

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

My character somehow comes up with a lot of nationalist and misogynist comments despite not even allowing them into my cabinet but it might be because I internalized ADVANCED RACE THEORY

Just can't stop thinking about those haplogroups.

What does it even do? I was quick to punch him instead because watching an old washed up alcoholic do a ridiculous 360 spin kick ruled.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Night10194 posted:

Just can't stop thinking about those haplogroups.

What does it even do? I was quick to punch him instead because watching an old washed up alcoholic do a ridiculous 360 spin kick ruled.
it gives you many more opportunities to make kim sad

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Avalerion posted:

I got more feminist and communist options, and I see a bunch of people posting screenshots of thought based conversations from thoughts I never even found.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Huh...so you can get to the Union dude without ever even having to deal with Head Measurer. This is my second playthrough and the differences are pretty cool! I did a heroic leap to grab a jacket and stuffed a corpse in a fridge.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Thoughts definitely unlock dialogue since there are a bunch I saw for hobocop. They can also provide modifiers to skill checks.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

In my first playthrough I failed at punching out Measure Head , failed at the jump for the alternate route into the docks, completely missed the drunk dude and his card in the hostel and didn't wanna subscribe to Measure Head's advanced racial theories so I spent the first three days doing other poo poo. When I finally managed to get in to the docks by nailing the jump that I had failed like 3-4 times before it was day 3 and Everett told me everything about the lynching without me having to do his door unlocking sidequest. He said he wanted me to do it but the time had passed for it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Although its pretty funny occasionally getting the random "wömen!" comment out of nowhere. And the thought coming from your intestines and telling you about the men of wö was hilarious

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Encyclopedia is great, it'll vomit walls of text about utterly pointless minutiae but your character is still not too confident about the basic structure of reality or where he fits into it.

I especially liked how rambling on about automotive trivia became a valid option more than once.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i think a lot of people misconstrued Shivers.

Shivers isn't the genius loci of Revachol, Shivers is just what it says on the tin - Harry's preternatural ability to interpret the world based on his physical sense of perception. That method is *how* Revachol talks to Harry.

As a rule, (but not totally guaranteed) if it's properly capitalized the sense is working as advertised. if it's all caps, the city is talking to Harry directly.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

My Harry didn't arrest Klaasje purely based on the fact that Shivers was cool with her.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you think about it, Klaasje is directly responsible for the Tribunal, and all deaths that follows from it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Broken Cog posted:

If you think about it, Klaasje is directly responsible for the Tribunal, and all deaths that follows from it.

If you think about it even more COMMUNISM killed those people

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hackan Slash posted:

But Communism didn't suggest to stage a mock execution.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hackan Slash posted:

I thought love did 'em in.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Broken Cog posted:

I think that's more on the head of the shooter, or the company who decided to send heavily armed mercs with ptsd in as strikebreakers - wild pines wanted them to shoot second and kill everyone in sight.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

wiegieman posted:

I think that's more on the head of the shooter, or the company who decided to send heavily armed mercs with ptsd in as strikebreakers - wild pines wanted them to shoot second and kill everyone in sight.

Nah I fully believe the company sent them first and foremost to intimidate and play "scabs", but as the merc leader tells you during the tribunal, seeing their commander killed and humiliated kinda broke them and they don't care about their orders anymore.

Of course, hiring a PMC to do poo poo like that in the first place is kind of a bad idea, and some of the blame should fall on the Pines.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

cool new Metroid game posted:

In my first playthrough I failed at punching out Measure Head , failed at the jump for the alternate route into the docks, completely missed the drunk dude and his card in the hostel and didn't wanna subscribe to Measure Head's advanced racial theories so I spent the first three days doing other poo poo. When I finally managed to get in to the docks by nailing the jump that I had failed like 3-4 times before it was day 3 and Everett told me everything about the lynching without me having to do his door unlocking sidequest. He said he wanted me to do it but the time had passed for it.
I think DE has a lot more alternative routes and reactions to rare player decisions than we suspect. I wonder what happens when you actively works against the game for example by not getting into the investigation at all for days. All the smaller and bigger differences are fascinating.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's a ton of blame to go around for that entirely hosed up situation: Harry for wasting so much time on his pointless bullshit, the gently caress up dock boys who thought there would be no consequences to saying they brutalized a solider and displayed his body like trash, the mob bosses who know who the real killer is and what is going to happen and welcome it, the woman who almost reflexively decided to cover the whole thing up because it might blow back on her, the people who thought war criminals were the best folks to include in a civil defense force, and of course the actual killer.

So, you know, wide field on that one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think it's a complicated set of consequences and assigning blame isn't the most important thing. Though overall I'd blame the deserter because ultimately he is the one that acted with the most pure malice in the whole situation. He wanted these people to suffer. He wanted all of Revanchol to suffer.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 31, 2019

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I played this for a couple hours last night and yup, it's good! I made a character focusing on Psyche and trying to play him as much like a stereotype of a hard-boiled noir detective as possible. Except his appetites, impulses, and weaknesses keep on getting in the way so instead it's playing out like he's kind of hopeless idiot who wishes he was a detective.

So, like, perfect. I feel like this game was made for me.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don’t think Esprit de Corps ever told me something harmful or wrong, either.

It tells you Jean and the other cop aren't from your station because you would *obviously* remember your fellow cops.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Broken Cog posted:

Nah I fully believe the company sent them first and foremost to intimidate and play "scabs", but as the merc leader tells you during the tribunal, seeing their commander killed and humiliated kinda broke them and they don't care about their orders anymore.

Of course, hiring a PMC to do poo poo like that in the first place is kind of a bad idea, and some of the blame should fall on the Pines.

I don't think this is accurate. If they had come for that reason, dude's clothes wouldn't have been so drat tight. I think that was a ruse after the poo poo went down and they had to make do with what they had.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I don't think this is accurate. If they had come for that reason, dude's clothes wouldn't have been so drat tight. I think that was a ruse after the poo poo went down and they had to make do with what they had.

White Pines != Krenel, it's possible that White Pines just put the ad out and Krenel picked up on it even though it's wholly unsuited to what they were supposed to do, because money

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I dunno if this is public knowledge or w/e but someone in their Discord just confirmed we're getting a digital artbook and soundtrack sometime next year. And that the English Translation of prolly coming "Late next year"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sell a poster of the thought cabinet painting, cowards

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Latest patch finally fixed my softlock issue at the very end.

So, regarding the last conversation, is it normal that I cannot prove a motive if I didn't speak to the phasmid or do they just not care because I didn't bring either Kim or Cuono? I got the motive during the interrogation with the deserter.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

redgubbinz posted:

Encyclopedia is great, it'll vomit walls of text about utterly pointless minutiae but your character is still not too confident about the basic structure of reality or where he fits into it.

I especially liked how rambling on about automotive trivia became a valid option more than once.

I can say with no exaggeration that I now know more about the geography and history of Disco Elysium than I do real life, thank you US Public School System.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

wiegieman posted:

You can actually look at the squad and understand exactly how they worked previously
Korty was the muscle, De Paule handled all the back-end logistics work, Ruud was the rabid dog they let off the leash when poo poo was going real bad, and Lely was the leader and the face who kept the whole thing together. Lely wasn't exactly a good person, but he also wasn't the type who was going to gun down a crowd of people, and the others listened to him. There was nothing to indicate that they were going to do anything of the sort, had the unit stayed together. They were there for intimidation and by all accounts they'd been there for a while without incident. But having their leader publicly executed not only made all of them angry and confused, it also left Korty in charge, and he absolutely was not fit for it. He couldn't keep a handle on Ruud, he let De Paule go into some kind of anxiety-rage spiral, and he himself couldn't come up with a better solution than just finding the most obvious suspects and shooting them. Plus, he was obviously emotionally hosed up already, and having his brother, who he genuinely cared for and relied on to tell him what to do, die unexpectedly and violently left him very much unhinged.
It really isn't possible to declare that the whole thing was anyone's fault, exactly. Everyone made their own contribution to the thing going completely to poo poo and anyone could have put a stop to the thing at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, one of the big surprises is the extent to which you find out Col. Lely was the guy keeping his unit together and relatively sane. Kort definitely means it when he says 'the Colonel would have spared the lot of you', especially considering you get a bonus from throwing him off because the same dialogue has him admit he's nowhere near as good a leader and lose some faith in himself. The entire Tribunal is a tragedy that, in a lot of games, you'd have been able to talk your way out of; all the signs are there. But because of which of the mercs is dead, and where the situation's gone, there's no talking this down without some degree of bloodshed anymore. I actually really like that you absolutely can't talk your way entirely out of that mess; it feels more honest to how badly things had gone to even get to that point