Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Siri reading texts is something I didn’t know I needed but I have it now and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I just decided on the AirPod Pros based in part on advice here.

My work announced today employees get the Beats Pros half off for November (normally I get 25% off).

Honestly, $125 is too good not to try them out. I’m going to go for the Beats Pro, and worst case I keep them for occasional working out and for trips if I decide I want the AirPod pros later.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I just decided on the AirPod Pros based in part on advice here.

My work announced today employees get the Beats Pros half off for November (normally I get 25% off).

Honestly, $125 is too good not to try them out. I’m going to go for the Beats Pro, and worst case I keep them for occasional working out and for trips if I decide I want the AirPod pros later.

Oh for 125 I would have 100% kept the Beats Pros. Thats a smoking deal.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
I think you'll be happy with the Beats Pros, especially at that price. I bought a pair a month or so ago and really like them. I've worn them for over 6 hours in multiple sessions without any comfort issues. The sound is great - I don't think it's quite as good as my Sony MDR7506 wired over the ear headphones, but it's close. I don't regret paying retail.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm really interested in first impressions on the Echo Buds. I know the process is more seamless with AirPods, but my AirPods already gently caress up and unsync the moment I hit play in an area where I don't want my music blasting at least once a week. How much worse can a non-Apple product be.

I am also curious about these but I doubt I can pair them to multiple devices and I routinely switch between my iPad and iPhone. Occasionally my AppleTV also so I may be locked into the Apple infrastructure and will pick the Pros up this weekend.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MarcusSA posted:

Ok Siri reading texts is something I didn’t know I needed but I have it now and I love it.

Is this a PodsPro thing or a iOS firmware for all AirPods thing?

I guess I could check? I bought a pair as a surprise for my wife today (she runs marathons and poo poo so why not) but played with them a better part of the day...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

Is this a PodsPro thing or a iOS firmware for all AirPods thing?

I guess I could check? I bought a pair as a surprise for my wife today (she runs marathons and poo poo so why not) but played with them a better part of the day...

It's a 13.2 feature for 2nd generation AirPods, AirPods Pro, and some Beats models.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

It's a 13.2 feature for 2nd generation AirPods, AirPods Pro, and some Beats models.

I think it's an H1 chip feature.

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Thanks for the stolen phone help, she's had to ask for account recovery. Hope this works, angry french women redefine 'angry!'

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I said I’d buy AirPods with a better fit if they were released. Ended up panic buying Powerbeats pro in the airport last week because I left my awful gym headphones on a bus. Oh well, I did get the Powerbeats on a discount.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I have a massive, pressing question to ask now:

Where the gently caress are the Apple leather cases for the iPhone 11? Is the regular 11 not good enough for the one true case?

OMGMYSPLEEN fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 31, 2019

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

What the gently caress are the Apple leather cases for the iPhone 11? Is the regular 11 not good enough for the one true case?

If it's anything like the iPhone XR, they only released a clear case to show off the ~colors~ which is super annoying.

I got my new Airpods Pros yesterday, and I love them. As someone that couldn't wear the OG Airpods due to weird earholes, these new ones feel great! I will still be using my Sony over-ear WH-1000XM3 when sitting at my desk working, but Airpods will definitely be worn when going for walks and such.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

BoyBlunder posted:

If it's anything like the iPhone XR, they only released a clear case to show off the ~colors~ which is super annoying.

Guh.. not that I don't think the color of my phone is nice, but historically speaking clear cases look great for about 25 minutes and then start to collect dirt and dust between the phone body and the case and it looks just nasty.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I primarily use my airpods for running so noise cancelling is something I don't really want. Any other real benefits you guys have noticed? I just had to buy a new pair of airpods because my old ones had terrible battery life and my dog finally ate them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think it's an H1 chip feature.

Yeah I couldn't remember the name, but support was still added new in 13.2

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah I couldn't remember the name, but support was still added new in 13.2

Right! It requires both. So any future Apple products that include the chip will have it as well. I'm a fan of the BeatsX so I'm hoping they get some love soon.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Where the gently caress are the Apple leather cases for the iPhone 11? Is the regular 11 not good enough for the one true case?

Get a Pro iPhone scrub.

E: ya - only clear cases for you.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

You're exactly right. Thankfully, the Mujjo iPhone 11 leather case is better than the Apple Saddle Brown case in every way.

Just buckle up for the patina process; it's full grain veg-tanned leather, so it'll start looking pretty nicely-worn in about a year.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

I primarily use my airpods for running so noise cancelling is something I don't really want. Any other real benefits you guys have noticed? I just had to buy a new pair of airpods because my old ones had terrible battery life and my dog finally ate them.

They sound better by all accounts, are sweat/water resistant and ought to stay in better. There's also a mode that pipes in outside sounds instead of cancelling everything, though if that lets in say, voices, but still mutes cars it might not be ideal for running. I'm picking up a pair today and I'll let you know how that works after I walk the dog

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Apple's leather cases are cheap poo poo anyway. "Genuine" is the lowest grade of leather, and it's a thin bit of that surrounding mostly plastic.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've bought a handful of cases for the 11 and this is the one I landed on:

https://www.amazon.com/Shockproof-iPhone-11-Generation-Translucent/dp/B07TV8P6BT

I've tried cheap clear cases which are garbage, the DBrand Grip which is garbage, and Apple's cases are too expensive for the guy who's already spent like a hundred bucks and change on cases, who is me (and an idiot).

This one is grippy in the hand, has good button response and is nice and simple looking. Even keeps the back slightly transparent so it looks really nice.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Has anyone else thought the copy/paste function is all funky lately?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ok. I ended up buying AirPods Pro and sound is better. Apple store wasn’t a good test area. Also the low profile is way better. They look nice.

Wonder if there is a watch short cut to turn off isolation.

Also, anyone recommend a wireless charger mat for my watch and AirPods?

Housh fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 31, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

colachute posted:

Has anyone else thought the copy/paste function is all funky lately?

Yes, there seems to be no consistency in what makes the Select/Select all options pop up vs the Cut/Copy/Paste options.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yes, there seems to be no consistency in what makes the Select/Select all options pop up vs the Cut/Copy/Paste options.

At least it’s not just me. Thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Are all the tempered glass shields the same? Verizon seems to be selling these weird no-name protectors now, when years ago they were selling Zagg Invisible Shields.. now they don't offer them.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Housh posted:

Ok. I ended up buying AirPods Pro and sound is better. Apple store wasn’t a good test area. Also the low profile is way better. They look nice.

Wonder if there is a watch short cut to turn off isolation.

Also, anyone recommend a wireless charger mat for my watch and AirPods?

A shortcut that’s a like a complication? Wouldn’t it be easier to just hold force button thingie?

I have the Nomad watch pad and it charges my iPhone, watch, and Pros fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Luceo posted:

Apple's leather cases are cheap poo poo anyway. "Genuine" is the lowest grade of leather, and it's a thin bit of that surrounding mostly plastic.
No, "genuine" is nearly meaningless and tells you nothing other than that it's made from tanning the skin of an animal. You can easily find high quality leather that says "genuine".

That said, you're but wrong that the Apple leather cases aren't of any particular quality.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jabro posted:

A shortcut that’s a like a complication? Wouldn’t it be easier to just hold force button thingie?

I have the Nomad watch pad and it charges my iPhone, watch, and Pros fine.

Yeah just holding the button is the easiest way. Isolation mode is legit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My copy/paste sems alright but my spellcheck dictionary barely werks anymore.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

No, "genuine" is nearly meaningless and tells you nothing other than that it's made from tanning the skin of an animal. You can easily find high quality leather that says "genuine".

That said, you're but wrong that the Apple leather cases aren't of any particular quality.

You're technically correct, but no maker of high-grade leather would use that word, since it's not even a grade of leather. You'll see full-grain and top-grain, but they'll all tell you that genuine and bonded are the bottom of the barrel.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Binary Badger posted:

Are all the tempered glass shields the same? Verizon seems to be selling these weird no-name protectors now, when years ago they were selling Zagg Invisible Shields.. now they don't offer them.

Wirecutter has recommended TechMatte for a long time and I've had good experiences with them

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Luceo posted:

You're technically correct, but no maker of high-grade leather would use that word, since it's not even a grade of leather. You'll see full-grain and top-grain, but they'll all tell you that genuine and bonded are the bottom of the barrel.

Are there any good, better quality alternatives to the brown leather apple case?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Are there any good, better quality alternatives to the brown leather apple case?

Saddle back leather makes an amazing one. You can watch their video on it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Saddle back leather makes an amazing one. You can watch their video on it.

I have used one of their wallets for years now, and it is still beautiful.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Luceo posted:

Same on the wallet. Mine is 10 years old and is still phenomenal.

Bought a backpack from them too and yeah it was expensive but the quality is amazing and I get lots of compliments on it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Luceo posted:

Man y'all got me looking since I haven't changed wallets in like a decade and they make some real nice looking good.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

They sound better by all accounts, are sweat/water resistant and ought to stay in better. There's also a mode that pipes in outside sounds instead of cancelling everything, though if that lets in say, voices, but still mutes cars it might not be ideal for running. I'm picking up a pair today and I'll let you know how that works after I walk the dog

To update, Transparency Mode lets in plenty of car noise while walking on a busy street. That was while listening to a podcast - if you blast metal you can drown everything out, as the pro's are a lot louder than OG airpods. The audio quality really is much better too

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I picked up some AirPod Pros today. I've only had them for an hour but they are quite nice. My ears are two different sizes so normal airpods worked but were always feeling loose in one ear. But with one small and one medium tip on my pros they feel great. Noise cancelling is great too. I put them in and for a second thought my noisy home A/C had suddenly stopped.

I also own a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3s and yeah, the Pros are not quite as good sound quality and in total noise cancelling but for portability they are FAR better. I can see myself using the Pros daily while my Sonys I only use from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

enojy posted:

You're exactly right. Thankfully, the Mujjo iPhone 11 leather case is better than the Apple Saddle Brown case in every way.

Just buckle up for the patina process; it's full grain veg-tanned leather, so it'll start looking pretty nicely-worn in about a year.

I bought this case for my XR but ended up returning it after a week because the buttons loving suuuuuuuucked. Mushy and hard to press, I couldn't stand it.

I got some leather knockoff from Best Buy that has metal buttons and it works well enough for me now.