Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

notaspy posted:

Is a mold line remover worth it?

I got it on a whim, and was quite surprised at how well it worked compared to using my file and the back of a scalpel, but it’s not a vital/important thing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Thank you for the answers about building stuff.

Once I get my primer I am good to go!

Now, next question which is part fluff, part crunch:

Custodies are bigger than primaris, right?

So, how can they ride in a land raider but primaris can't?

And as the poster above said, how the gently caress can a small marine not ride in a big marine transport? Are the belt points to high up or something?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

whiteshark12 posted:

Aggressors can take flamers which are hilarious when paired with He'Stan, their main issue being it's difficult to get them into range. He also buffs their melee attacks which some people don't realise, powerfists that re-roll hits and wounds do a lot of damage!

Is this a change vs the previous codex? Firing suggests shooting, not melee attacks.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

notaspy posted:

So, how can they ride in a land raider but primaris can't?

Primaris need the new reversible USB connectors to recharge their armour, Land Raiders only come with USB 2.0

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I got it on a whim, and was quite surprised at how well it worked compared to using my file and the back of a scalpel, but it’s not a vital/important thing at all.

Can confirm the terror of dropping the mold line remover much less the traditional back of a hobby knife. Anything the lessens the risk of accident stabbings good.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

xtothez posted:

Primaris need the new reversible USB connectors to recharge their armour, Land Raiders only come with USB 2.0

The mechanicus are right to fear technological progression, Crawl must be stopped

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Absolutely buy the line remover tool. It's better for all but the fiddliest work, and you would have to be vigorously trying to hurt yourself with it. It's a pittance to reduce the chance of giving yourself a nasty injury, and it saves wear on the knife blades, which in turn makes it safer when you have to use them.

Of all the things you'll spend money on in this idiot hobby the one thing that appreciably reduces risks is a must buy, in my opinion.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I hate that I love the GW Mold Line Removal Tool.

There is no reason it should cost that much, but it works great and I rely on it.

Side bonus: I can leave it out without worry about my kids cutting themselves.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Bit of a noob Ork question here.
Are the Nobz able to use a Slugga if they’re carrying a Big Choppa, which to my knowledge is only ever shown as a two handed weapon? I just built some Gretchin and used the Squig on the Runtherd so I have his Lash spare which I really like the look of and am thinking of putting on a Nob that comes in a box with a named Warboss, I’m going to use it either way but I don’t know if it will have to just be as a normal Choppa, I suppose if it is only able to be a Choppa I can give them a Big Shoota or Scorcha instead.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
The mold line tool is great. I scoffed at it at first like many but its really useful. Its got a bit of rigidity that blades can lack and as mentioned its super safe to use compared to the rest of the modelling tools.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What is wrong with me why is there a Start Collecting Tyranids box in my car.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sorry to hear someone broke in to your automobile and planted it there

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why would you do that right before the Battleforce box?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
No stealers, tryhardogon, or broodlord in the battleforce box

battleforce + starter is a pretty decent starting position

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Are the Nobz able to use a Slugga if they’re carrying a Big Choppa, which to my knowledge is only ever shown as a two handed weapon? I just built some Gretchin and used the Squig on the Runtherd so I have his Lash spare which I really like the look of and am thinking of putting on a Nob that comes in a box with a named Warboss, I’m going to use it either way but I don’t know if it will have to just be as a normal Choppa, I suppose if it is only able to be a Choppa I can give them a Big Shoota or Scorcha instead.

Orks can use Big Choppas and Sluggas. They're often presented as two handed by like Thunder hammers they're considered one handed for game purposes.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Contingency posted:

Is this a change vs the previous codex? Firing suggests shooting, not melee attacks.

'firing' has no meaning in the rules, it's another example of poor technical writing by GW. Until they rewrite it to say 'in the shooting phase or when firing overwatch' I don't see why 'firing' shouldn't be synonymous with 'uses' or 'activates'.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

nite_moogle posted:

Sorry to hear someone broke in to your automobile and planted it there

Well it's here I might as well start painting it.

jassi007 posted:

Why would you do that right before the Battleforce box?

Because I want to Start Collecting Tyranids?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well it's here I might as well start painting it.

Because I want to Start Collecting Tyranids?

That's how they get ya.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

whiteshark12 posted:

'firing' has no meaning in the rules, it's another example of poor technical writing by GW. Until they rewrite it to say 'in the shooting phase or when firing overwatch' I don't see why 'firing' shouldn't be synonymous with 'uses' or 'activates'.

This kind of pedantic bullshit is why there are FAQ entries that say you're not allowed to leave the board as long as you come back on before the end of your movement.

You fire a gun, you don't fire a sword, the meaning here is being beyond obvious in a way that doesn't even make for a compelling entry in the "technically the rules allow..." fun fact almanac.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kitchner posted:

That's how they get ya.

In my case it wasn't that hard. After two years of painting power armor I realized I really wanted to try something a little different, and I have a few ideas about combining my bone painting technique with contrast paints which should help me paint things up pretty quickly.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

How it's worded is a bit strange, basically if you exchange weapons, you can exchange for 2 from the first list OR 1 from the second, so you could get strapped with double powerclaws, or a slugga/powerclaw, or choppa/combiweapon, or my favorite, double choppas!

FAQ posted:

Q: When a Nob replaces their slugga and choppa with items
from the Nob Weapons list, can they take two weapons from
the first list and one weapon from the second list, for a total of
three weapons (e.g. a big choppa, killsaw and a kombi-weapon
with skorcha)?
A: No. They can take two weapons from the first list or
only one if it is taken from the second list.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

whiteshark12 posted:

Aggressors can take flamers which are hilarious when paired with He'Stan, their main issue being it's difficult to get them into range. He also buffs their melee attacks which some people don't realise, powerfists that re-roll hits and wounds do a lot of damage!

Pretty sure this isn’t true, otherwise Imperial Fists would get extra hits every time boltstorm aggressors swing in melee too. I can’t remember the specific FAQ but I’m 89.3% sure there was something not too far back that was about each different profile of a single weapon still counting as a unique weapon for the purposes of buffs that only affect weapons in a certain class, like ‘bolt’ weapons or ‘flame’ weapons.

It was phrased along the lines of trying to gain the benefit of a buff to one weapon class (e.g. bolt weapons) on the other half of a combi-weapon, so if a Crimson Fists guy fires only the plasma half of a combi-plasma, he doesn’t get extra hits on 6s just because the other half is a bolter. I can’t imagine it doesn’t work the same way for a weapon that’s both shooting and melee like aggressor gauntlets.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In my case it wasn't that hard. After two years of painting power armor I realized I really wanted to try something a little different, and I have a few ideas about combining my bone painting technique with contrast paints which should help me paint things up pretty quickly.

To be fair I've always felt tyranids are the army that can look the best with the least effort. For ages you can just base coat and wash them and then add a few small details and bam, good looking army.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There but for the grace of God go I. This dude's painting videos have me seriously considering starting up an army:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBu3e8jZDEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9SO-dKHy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1pL6RKCbB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLcYQU0LruY

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Dang now I want to start collecting Tyranids

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Can't start another army can't start another army can't start another army can't start another army can't start another army can't start another army

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Strobe posted:

This kind of pedantic bullshit is why there are FAQ entries that say you're not allowed to leave the board as long as you come back on before the end of your movement.

You fire a gun, you don't fire a sword, the meaning here is being beyond obvious in a way that doesn't even make for a compelling entry in the "technically the rules allow..." fun fact almanac.

I'll be honest i'd never noticed it specified 'fired' before and was reaching to find justification for that.

I do think it is something that could do with clarification however, i'm not 100% convinced that they realised that they had a melee flamer weapon when the wrote the rule initially so it's difficult to separate intent from oversight. Considering they didn't realise that doctrines would discourage soup lists I can fully believe that they've not considered the implications of that wording.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Keep us updated! An efficient bone and contrast approach to bugs seems awesome!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Keep us updated! An efficient bone and contrast approach to bugs seems awesome!

Skeleton Horde is a godsend for quick bone coloring for Nids. It and your choice of contrasting chitin color is basically 75% of the work right there, unless you intend to get fancy with it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

PierreTheMime posted:

Skeleton Horde is a godsend for quick bone coloring for Nids. It and your choice of contrasting chitin color is basically 75% of the work right there, unless you intend to get fancy with it.

I’d been using a simple Seraphim Sepia over white but if I had to do it all over again? Skeleton Horde all the way.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How Contrast saved the tyranids

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What's a good source of 28mm scale modern-looking motorcycles if I want to do a rough riders conversion?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

goose willis posted:

What's a good source of 28mm scale modern-looking motorcycles if I want to do a rough riders conversion?

GSC Atalan Jackals:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Those are sick! I want that style but like, only bikes, no riders, and cheaper. Does that exist?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I think Eureka miniatures did just dirt bikes but I cannot find them atm

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

GSC Atalan Jackals:

Oh my gosh. What are the headswaps from?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Strobe posted:

You fire a gun, you don't fire a sword...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Oh my gosh. What are the headswaps from?

https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/battle-sisters/emperor-sisters-goggles-heads-set-5u/
These as I recall from last time it was asked.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Those are nice heads, but if you want female head headswaps that aren't from a company that makes mostly cheesecake titty minis, both Statuesque and Anvil Industries have good looking options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My biggest point of contention with the Anvil heads is that they seem to have a serious case of duck lips going on in some cases.