Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

last I checked cats have (scrabbling) claws

Alright that's a good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

There was a brief moment of cat tribal being legitimately tier 2 in Standard.

I still fondly remember my daughter's deck prior to last fall's rotation running away with games where her board state was just 1/1 lifelink cat tokens spilling off her playmat. A judge call where her opponent didn't believe that multiple copies of Annointed Procession worked exactly like your math teacher taught you.

I still have the pieces and am pondering making her a Pioneer deck with it.

Kurtofan posted:

Whats a walgreens to a non-american? Some kind of walmart?

Primarilly a drug/convenience store. Pick up your prescriptions and a stick of deodorant, grab a thing of chips on your way out kind of deal. They have a toy aisle with a small selection overpriced toys for your kids to nag you into buying while you do so, which includes bubble-carded boosters and planeswalker decks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

Whats a walgreens to a non-american? Some kind of walmart?

Walgreens is a pharmacy/convenience store chain here. No connection to walmart as far as I am aware.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Owlbear Camus posted:

I still fondly remember my daughter's deck prior to last fall's rotation running away with games where her board state was just 1/1 lifelink cat tokens spilling off her playmat. A judge call where her opponent didn't believe that multiple copies of Annointed Procession worked exactly like your math teacher taught you.

I still have the pieces and am pondering making her a Pioneer deck with it.

Would love to play enchantment tribal with bitterblossoms and parallel lives/ anointed processions. Would be wayyyy too slow

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlbear Camus posted:

Primarilly a drug/convenience store. Pick up your prescriptions and a stick of deodorant, grab a thing of chips on your way out kind of deal. They have a toy aisle with a small selection overpriced toys for your kids to nag you into buying while you do so, which includes bubble-carded boosters and planeswalker decks.

They also inexplicably get toy exclusivity deals from Hasbro, so if you collect Marvel Legends figs, have fun going to a loving drug store constantly looking for specific ones

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

the UR draft theme is very clearly "cast cards during your opponent's turn", which is new and kind of neat

there was a bit of of this in Lorwyn faeries, but it was only 3 cards. sounds interesting though, since my two favourite game actions are to draw a card and pass the turn.

mods rename me Lone Draw-Goat

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lol wotc just announced they're going to do the first pioneer bans on Monday (instead of waiting for the next B&R), love to have a pissing contest between hasbro and scg

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

lol wotc just announced they're going to do the first pioneer bans on Monday (instead of waiting for the next B&R), love to have a pissing contest between hasbro and scg

What in the world

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Skyl3lazer posted:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1189974044722024449?s=19

Myself I've only done tournament practice and didn't see anything too busted, but no Marvel etc yet either. Might be time to try a league.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What in the world

They did say they were going to do a bunch and whenever.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol Standard is fine, it's the brand new format that has barely seen competitive play that needs the quick bans

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

They already announced they were going to do off-cycle bans. How is this a pissing contest, unless you think that Wizards is doing this to ruin attendance at a Pioneer SCG event next weekend?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

there was a bit of of this in Lorwyn faeries, but it was only 3 cards. sounds interesting though, since my two favourite game actions are to draw a card and pass the turn.

oh yeah I forgot about that, rip Dreamspoiler Witches

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't know about a "pissing match" but it's pants-on-head stupid to announce a format and then release the banlist 15 days later. Either do both at the same time or let the format breathe before you ban poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LifeLynx posted:

They already announced they were going to do off-cycle bans. How is this a pissing contest, unless you think that Wizards is doing this to ruin attendance at a Pioneer SCG event next weekend?

Eh, they specifically mentioned paper tournaments in the tweet and its probably not a coincidence considering how high profile the scg change is.

To be honest, even if they ban something the monday before the invitational its not going to ruin the hyped interest in the format. If anything, it might make it more so.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
wotc getting progressively and aggressively dumber with every passing day is wild y'all

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Just lol if Oko is banned in pioneer before standard

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't read that announcement as "we are definitely banning something on 11/4", just that the first B&R update for Pioneer is that day. Do the MTGO data bear out a clear best deck right now?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I don't know about a "pissing match" but it's pants-on-head stupid to announce a format and then release the banlist 15 days later. Either do both at the same time or let the format breathe before you ban poo poo.

They specifically said they would be doing this kind of thing when they created the format, so if you ran out and bought a bunch of cards immediately, you knew some of them might become worthless quickly. Financial reasons are basically the only downside to having bans this quickly, this is way better than WotC trying to guess what will be broken in the format.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShadeofBlue posted:

They specifically said they would be doing this kind of thing when they created the format, so if you ran out and bought a bunch of cards immediately, you knew some of them might become worthless quickly. Financial reasons are basically the only downside to having bans this quickly, this is way better than WotC trying to guess what will be broken in the format.

... it's been 15 days, they are still guessing what will be broken in the format

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Releasing the format with what appeared to be a grand gesture of no banned list (even though anyone smart knew bans were coming) was great marketing. I remember people were skeptical of Modern because it released with a banned list that some thought was a little too overzealous. But you're right, it is pants-on-head stupid to not give people some time to try out new decks, unless there's a clear deck that's far ahead of everything else. Which people have said about Saheeli Cat, but I haven't had first hand experience.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening posted:

Speaking of, wanna see that 3.5k of speculation looks like?

This is what an idiot looks like. This person won't be able to move their cards quick enough to break even before the card is banned.

this guy sweating yet?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I mean, they're doing it after their first tournament of any size, so if something does run away with the format they'll do it then. If nothing does they might not ban anything.

E: lol @ that dumbass

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't think it'd be so annoying to people if they couldn't contrast it with a completely out of control standard they are sitting on their hands about

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Crossing my fingers that Wizards at least waits to ban Cat Combo after I play it at FNM next week, and if they do ban it Monday then I'm hoping I can at least pivot the deck to some sort of Jeskai Control/Planeswalkers deck.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Can't wait for the Oko ban.

In pioneer

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1189986628221030400?s=19

Could be nothing, unless that ptq is all cats.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Basically. I'm just hoping Jeskai Ascendancy doesn't become too conspicuous because I really want to play Emry Ascendancy in the format. (Even though it looks like Sylvan Ascendancy is the best use of the card right now.)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

God they suck at messaging, no one would care if they had just defined the announcement schedule when they announced the format. Announcing an announcement in a tweet three days in advance is just asking for people to freak out and overreact. Clarifying the announcement of the announcement from a different account is just amazing.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
From my paper pioneer experience and mtgo experience - I don’t see anything warranting a ban at this time and I’m expecting no bans at the time Decks running a higher amount of interaction have done a solid job at beating Saheeli combo (after the initial hiccups of everyone running no removal). Same thing with the ramp / nykthos decks. Oko is strong but with the higher amount of answers in the format it’s able to be taken out. The blue delve spells are impressive when cast but they’re not overpowered and the delve is more difficult to enable. Red is medium/good. Copter is good but honestly has been a little underwhelming - it doesn’t fit in every deck unlike what everyone feared would happen. Marvel / Emrakul / Ulamog haven’t really done anything and almost any deck can take care of those decks.

Of course there could be some deck being sandbagged for a major event that has flown completely under the radar

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Dehtraen posted:

From my paper pioneer experience and mtgo experience - I don’t see anything warranting a ban at this time and I’m expecting no bans at the time Decks running a higher amount of interaction have done a solid job at beating Saheeli combo (after the initial hiccups of everyone running no removal). Same thing with the ramp / nykthos decks. Oko is strong but with the higher amount of answers in the format it’s able to be taken out. The blue delve spells are impressive when cast but they’re not overpowered and the delve is more difficult to enable. Red is medium/good. Copter is good but honestly has been a little underwhelming - it doesn’t fit in every deck unlike what everyone feared would happen. Marvel / Emrakul / Ulamog haven’t really done anything and almost any deck can take care of those decks.

Of course there could be some deck being sandbagged for a major event that has flown completely under the radar

The challenge last sunday had a pretty significant amount of cat decks in the top 32 so it's probably on a watchlist and I'd expect something if it dominates the ptq this weekend. They probably have a short list of cards they're ready to hit if one steps too far out of line.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I wager one Felidar Guardian that SCG splits with WOTC on the Pioneer banlist for at least one event before 6 months are up

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Devor posted:

I wager one Felidar Guardian that SCG splits with WOTC on the Pioneer banlist for at least one event before 6 months are up

You can do that but it would be unsanctioned magic event. Not that it matters that much.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

They haven't done it before, the last time cat got emergency banned. I dont think they can if they want the event to be sanctioned.

Absolutely no one should be surprised if certain cards get banned. If you built what you thought was the best deck with cards that might get banned after they said they'd ban off-schedule as needed, that's a risk you took.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

IMO there are 3 cards that are conceivably bannable if behind the scenes on mtgo the decks that leverage them have 60% winrates. I sincerely hope they don't ban anything yet.

Nykthos
Dig/Cruise
Rai/Felidar

The end.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
^^^ this is in line more or less with what I’ve heard a lot of people indicating but also adding Oko since everyone hates that card

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The challenge last sunday had a pretty significant amount of cat decks in the top 32 so it's probably on a watchlist and I'd expect something if it dominates the ptq this weekend. They probably have a short list of cards they're ready to hit if one steps too far out of line.

Totally - but I feel that might be more on the side of it being the fun police for random brews and also clearly being a “tier 1” strategy going into the challenge. It’s definitely strong but beatable. Also probably doesn’t help that the 75 for the mtgo trophy leader was floating around, too.

One quick edit - I’ve not seen anyone doing Kethis on mtgo or in paper. I’m a little worried about that deck being too much if it is as good as some people have been saying it is.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 31, 2019

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I don't think they ban anything unless something has a crazy dominant weekend at the PTQ. I agree that right now Felidar Guardian is the closest to getting banned.

They're not banning Oko in Pioneer this monday before the MC. Everybody would be too pissed off about Standard, they'd hold off for a week even if they thought it needed to get banned.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pioneer is fun. I can run mono black and mono red with themes I like to play.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Pioneer is fun because I can cast seasons past again. There's lots of neat decks right now and it's refreshing for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Copycat is stronger than I thought it was going to be, but I still don't think it's ban worthy. Also, at least it's quick and obvious when it resolves, unlike some combos that have a risk of fizzling so you're forced to watch them play it out.

Edit: But I don't play top tier competitive magic so, you know.