Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

He always seemed like an odd hire to me. I liked him well enough but if there was one stick to sports guy on the site it was him.

If i recall right he is just a huge stats nerd. I believe that "regressing" sub-page was pretty much all his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This whole debacle is just the perfect example of the failure of "profit at all costs" capitalism, (or as its known by its shorter name...."capitalism"). It wasn't enough to make money, they needed to be "EFFICIENT" and to squeeze every bit of revenue they could out of their "investment". That meant making promises to advertisers that they couldn't live up to without enabling auto-play videos and ads (thereby making the user experience that much worse, oh and also they STILL couldn't live up to those numbers). It also meant "trimming the fat" by not "wasting money" to pay writers to write things that weren't specifically about sports. This, too, made the user experience that much worse since the non-sports stuff was part of the reason why people LOVED getting their sports news from Deadspin. You're not inundated with the bullshit non-stories that you see on ESPN's "Top Stories".

This is the sports blog equivalent of airlines taking away free poo poo and making the seats smaller and smaller, making the entire experience even more dreadful, so they can save pennies here and there and the executives can buy a yacht 15 feet longer than their old one.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

If i recall right he is just a huge stats nerd. I believe that "regressing" sub-page was pretty much all his.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1189942567070289920

I'm apparently remembering him wrong or thinking about someone else, I thought he just got there a couple/three years ago.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jezebel: known for it's hard hitting sports blogging:

https://theslot.jezebel.com/washing...Rkbl5GBzdkvr-A4

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mahoning posted:

This whole debacle is just the perfect example of the failure of "profit at all costs" capitalism, (or as its known by its shorter name...."capitalism"). It wasn't enough to make money, they needed to be "EFFICIENT" and to squeeze every bit of revenue they could out of their "investment". That meant making promises to advertisers that they couldn't live up to without enabling auto-play videos and ads (thereby making the user experience that much worse, oh and also they STILL couldn't live up to those numbers). It also meant "trimming the fat" by not "wasting money" to pay writers to write things that weren't specifically about sports. This, too, made the user experience that much worse since the non-sports stuff was part of the reason why people LOVED getting their sports news from Deadspin. You're not inundated with the bullshit non-stories that you see on ESPN's "Top Stories".

This is the sports blog equivalent of airlines taking away free poo poo and making the seats smaller and smaller, making the entire experience even more dreadful, so they can save pennies here and there and the executives can buy a yacht 15 feet longer than their old one.

Doesn't seem like seeking profit is the problem, the problem was the guys not understanding the appeal of their own product.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Seeking quick profit is the problem. Grab the ad revenue right now, set the whole thing on fire and run to the next thing, is the strategy.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

General Dog posted:

Doesn't seem like seeking profit is the problem, the problem was the guys not understanding the appeal of their own product.

The problem is what if the appeal of the product is not enough to let them hit their 2.5x or more RoI multiple within 3 years before the LPs get fidgety because :thatscapitalism:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Seeking quick profit is the problem. Grab the ad revenue right now, set the whole thing on fire and run to the next thing, is the strategy.

The problem is also using the company to borrow the money that you need to buy it ??? And then playing yourself ridiculous fees as you melt down everything to pay the banks back

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

As a Twitter idiot who hasn't logged on in years, is there any place (or any awesome goon) where I can find a list of all the (former) Deadspin and related folks twitter info and start following them?

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Voodoofly posted:

As a Twitter idiot who hasn't logged on in years, is there any place (or any awesome goon) where I can find a list of all the (former) Deadspin and related folks twitter info and start following them?
https://twitter.com/SquinterMedia/following

I keep seeing this posted but it’s more than deadspin

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Boredumb posted:

That looks like a bunch of current and ex writers of GMG blogs (I see a few ex splinter people on there).

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
https://drewmagary.kinja.com/this-is-how-it-s-gonna-work-1839505029/amp

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Boredumb posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

not deadspin thing

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1189945257556877313

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/barry/status/1189939997916499968?s=20

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
layering season is literally magary's loving nfl preview

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Drew's greatest achievement is calling out all the horrible people who think mayo should be on everything.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

General Dog posted:

I mean, it’s both. The lack of understanding was displayed in an effort to seek profit. They assumed (because they’re arrogant) that the non-sports stuff limited their audience because it was “divisive” so they issued the mandate because they thought sticking to sports would get more people to view the site and increase the amount of money they could make on ad revenue.

These PE buys are 100% about profit. Literally every decision is being made with the goal of increasing profit.

It’s not journalism related, but I’d encourage everyone to read the book Glass House about Anchor Hocking to learn more about how these leveraged purchases function and where things end up.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
So, dunno if this has been dug up since I just realized this post was here, but:

LITERAL ACTUAL CURRENT DEADSPIN MASTHEAD @ 1:52pm EST on 10/31/19

Editorial Staff
Deputy Editor: Barry Petchesky - I'M SPARTACUS
Managing Editor: Samer Kalaf - probably going?
Features Editor: Tom Ley - gone
Senior News Editor: Diana Moskovitz - gone
News Editor: Billy Haisley - gone
Art Director: Jim Cooke - At the other GMG websites
Editor-at-Large: David Roth - gone
Staff Editor: Dan McQuade - gone

Staff Writers:
Drew Magary - gone
Albert Burneko - gone
Dom Consentino - gone
Kelsey McKinney - gone
Giri Nathan - gone
Luis Paez-Pumar - gone
Patrick Redford - gone
Lauren Theisen - gone
Chris Thompson - gone
Laura Wagner - gone

Weekend Contributors:
Maitreyi Anantharaman - ?
Gabe Fernandez - gone?

Technical Staff
Senior Video Producer: Kiran Chitanvis - ?
Creative Producer: Anders Kapur - ?
Staff Technologist: Dhruv Mehrotra - ?

loving amazing and awesome and get hosed Jim Spanfeller you loving twerpish vampire squid wannabe.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The other G/O sites seem to be specifically publishing sports stories as a way to open comment threads for people to rage about Deadspin

https://kotaku.com/lets-talk-about-sports-video-games-1839504970

https://jezebel.com/i-would-have-sex-with-an-entire-major-league-baseball-t-1839501599

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Jim Spanfeller needs to have his head shoved into a toilet and flushed, repeatedly, imho.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1189971806087725056

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

solarjetman posted:

Here's probably a stupid question: why didn't they go on strike?

A strike is for when there is no bargaining agreement between the union and management.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

seiferguy posted:

Godfucking damnit, I just realized we're not going to have JezSpin next April Fools Day.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bryan Curtis wrote about Deadspin for the Ringer.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
not that i want to really think hard on the amount of leather the guy has, but doesn't this sort of prove that bissinger was right all those years ago

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tim Thomas posted:

not that i want to really think hard on the amount of leather the guy has, but doesn't this sort of prove that bissinger was right all those years ago

I guess I missed the part of that unhinged rant where he said a bunch of rich dipshits were going to destroy their profitable website mostly out of spite

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
eh, his incredibly whiny point to leitch back a decade ago was that bloggers weren't real journalists and were undercutting Real Sportswritin' Men

which, gently caress buzz bissinger, but also, just as he was sort of right insofar that the deadspin guys and gals cut into his industry's take, so did those undercutting the deadspinners now

that the people responsible are ultimately the rich dicks is the problem, bissinger basically played right into the usual capitalist fallacy

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

You think he was right when he said that Deadspin was dedicated to cruelty and journalistic dishonesty? Deadspin has always punched up, while "respected" old school publications like the NY Times and Washington Post (no doubt publications that Buzz Bissinger would point to as the pinnacle of journalism) publish blogs Op-Eds that punch down at women, the poor, people of color, immigrants, refugees, LGBT, and all other marginalized groups.

gently caress Buzz Bissinger and his holier-than-thou bullshit.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
nah, gently caress that aspect, purely the plaintive whines regarding undercutting of existing media

which, again, he was blaming the wrong people, he should have been blaming capital

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
“Punching up/down” is such a dumb dichotomy

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

God Bless Jon Bois and his terrible perfect ideas.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

ElwoodCuse posted:

A strike is for when there is no bargaining agreement between the union and management.

Well, in the United States it is. But US unions are sad castrated parodies of real unions

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tim Thomas posted:

nah, gently caress that aspect, purely the plaintive whines regarding undercutting of existing media

which, again, he was blaming the wrong people, he should have been blaming capital

i don't think you can be like buzz was right that existing media was being undercut when he didn't understand how or why or who was doing it, and when now in 2019 the root causes are different than they were in 2009 or whatever

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i don't think you can be like buzz was right that existing media was being undercut when he didn't understand how or why or who was doing it, and when now in 2019 the root causes are different than they were in 2009 or whatever

eh, you all are right; as penance for my bad take, i shall go look at google images "buzz bissinger pants" for four minutes

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Seeing Dave Portnoy and his tard brigade happy about this makes me want to barf

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
trip report: about 3 minutes into that search, you start seeing a lot of jeff goldblum (?)

separately... there really isn't another place like deadspin, is there? between this website in the late aughts and deadspin, it really helped color and shape my thinking in teaching me that i was an egregious, raging rear end in a top hat with lovely, misandrist opinions, and offered an alternative

not exaggerating to call them literally life changing but in the very best way

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Oh god, Jason Whitlock is celebrating too. gently caress offffffff you sweaty fat gently caress, hurry up and have a heart attack

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s going to be even worse with the gamergaters celebrating when Kotaku goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

seiferguy posted:

https://jezebel.com/i-would-have-sex-with-an-entire-major-league-baseball-t-1839501599