Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

KDdidit posted:

Any ways I’m missing to increase vassal limit as a MR? At lowest centralization, out of Kingdoms to give away, and would rather not empower the council

Raise your Diplomacy, get a wife with better Diplomacy, institute Imperial Administration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Has anyone noticed any change in game stability with 3.3.0? Regardless of the game speed, every in-game month the game will hang for approx. one to two seconds. Back when the game was 32-bit I didn't have this issue, and while it's not unbearable it is annoying.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

lurksion posted:

William is a Duke of Norway and owns all of the Engway btw. Looks like William won his war first, but Magnus managed to win his half a year later, and then the whole thing got split on inheritance (Norway is Elective for some reason while England is Primo). Not sure why William got assigned under the Norway title though.

The Scandivanian kingdoms always start with elective succession.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

No Pants posted:

My only problem with the challenge was that I just wanted to get it done with, and it wasn't super clear which counties I needed because the names of the counties on the map are different from the names of the counties on the challenge description.

And then after I made sure I had all the counties I needed using the table with the different cultural names, I figured out I wasn't getting credit for one because some rear end in a top hat in England owned a barony, but that's an annoyance almost as old as the game.

I wish there was an easier way to see what counties I needed and which ones I had. A list that checked off would help. I kept having to squint at the list in the menu and go through and be like "no, not that one... not that one..." while looking back and forth at my borders.

If it was just the duchies in question, that'd be better, but the random counties got confusing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Neurion posted:

Has anyone noticed any change in game stability with 3.3.0? Regardless of the game speed, every in-game month the game will hang for approx. one to two seconds. Back when the game was 32-bit I didn't have this issue, and while it's not unbearable it is annoying.

You may have already checked this, but are the hang up times occurring on the same frequency as your auto save settings?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Captain Beans posted:

You may have already checked this, but are the hang up times occurring on the same frequency as your auto save settings?

Nah, autosave is set to yearly, and the hang times occur every 30-31 days on the dot.

Edit: Always seems to be on the 11th of the month.

Double Edit: Now it seems to sometimes hang forever on the 10th.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 29, 2019

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Neurion posted:

Nah, autosave is set to yearly, and the hang times occur every 30-31 days on the dot.

Edit: Always seems to be on the 11th of the month.

Double Edit: Now it seems to sometimes hang forever on the 10th.

Doesn't ironman silently do monthly though?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

wit posted:

Doesn't ironman silently do monthly though?

No don’t think so, I’ve save-scummed many a bad decision in Ironman by force stopping the program and going back to January or June.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

lurksion posted:

William is a Duke of Norway and owns all of the Engway btw. Looks like William won his war first, but Magnus managed to win his half a year later, and then the whole thing got split on inheritance (Norway is Elective for some reason while England is Primo). Not sure why William got assigned under the Norway title though.
Norway was the primary title, so everything not in de jure England would be under Norway.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

No don’t think so, I’ve save-scummed many a bad decision in Ironman by force stopping the program and going back to January or June.

I have also save-scummed with copies :v:

And yeah the crashes are inconsistent whether they happen or not, but if it does happen it's always on the tenth of the month, leading me to believe something is loving up with a monthly event pulse. Even reloading from a save, the crash may or may not occur on the same month. So it's just constant save scumming with me right now.

I have to get that goddamn Birthright achievement.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

If I have two empire titles, can I give one away, creating an independent empire? Or should I just gavelkind it and let it go independent via inheritance? In that latter scenario, would he inheriting son of this new empire gain a count or duchy in my empire? Should I grant him base lands in the new empire? Trying to think of how to split my super Persia after I throw off the Chinese yoke.

Speaking of China, where do their armies appear when I declare a Free Tributary war? And how big are they?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Moreau posted:

If I have two empire titles, can I give one away, creating an independent empire? Or should I just gavelkind it and let it go independent via inheritance? In that latter scenario, would he inheriting son of this new empire gain a count or duchy in my empire? Should I grant him base lands in the new empire? Trying to think of how to split my super Persia after I throw off the Chinese yoke.

Speaking of China, where do their armies appear when I declare a Free Tributary war? And how big are they?

1) yes
2) depends on what you want, but probably not
3) most likely, depending on what your holdings look like when you die
4) probably. if you want to create a new orderly empire it is best to hand out the titles while you are alive rather than expecting gavelkind to do something that makes sense (it won't)
5) typically in the western protectorate zones and any fight against china you should expect a 100k stack minimum

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Coolguye posted:

1) yes
2) depends on what you want, but probably not
3) most likely, depending on what your holdings look like when you die
4) probably. if you want to create a new orderly empire it is best to hand out the titles while you are alive rather than expecting gavelkind to do something that makes sense (it won't)
5) typically in the western protectorate zones and any fight against china you should expect a 100k stack minimum

Brilliant, thanks!

In the end, China went into a civil war, so I was able to break tributary status without conflict. I cant imagine that being subjugated by China a century after throwing out the Muslim invaders will do the Persian psyche any good. Unfortunately, whilst I was focused on China, the Umayyads swallowed up all of Africa (the entire continent), Hispania and Francia. They just declared war for Syria, with 90000 troops to my 60000. They do have 60% Decadence so... I may be able to pull this off, by fighting in the mountains. What fun!

All this, and Im just trying for the Family First achievement

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Moreau posted:

Brilliant, thanks!

In the end, China went into a civil war, so I was able to break tributary status without conflict. I cant imagine that being subjugated by China a century after throwing out the Muslim invaders will do the Persian psyche any good. Unfortunately, whilst I was focused on China, the Umayyads swallowed up all of Africa (the entire continent), Hispania and Francia. They just declared war for Syria, with 90000 troops to my 60000. They do have 60% Decadence so... I may be able to pull this off, by fighting in the mountains. What fun!

All this, and Im just trying for the Family First achievement

:catstare: I don't think I've ever seen them do anywhere near that well.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Do Itqa governments have a lower vassal cap compared to Feudal, or is having a low diplomacy have that much of an impact?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
CK3 Dev Diary #1 Dynasties & Houses

Cadet branches, renown, dynastic legacies... looks like the extended family dynamics are going to make for some interesting gameplay opportunities.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
First I thought you play as the head of the house now but it says you can create a house now so probably not. It sounded like it's more about dynasties so it would make more sense if player inheritance is not directly tied to primary title inheritance.

It also sounds like in many cases you won't be dynast and won't make actual decisions about dynasty development.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

SirPhoebos posted:

Do Itqa governments have a lower vassal cap compared to Feudal, or is having a low diplomacy have that much of an impact?

Same cap, but it depends on how much power the council has. IIRC most Iqta realms start with full liege powers and thus have approx. 10 less max vassals (each power the council votes over adds 2 to the vassal limit) than a realm with a fully empowered council.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ilitarist posted:

First I thought you play as the head of the house now but it says you can create a house now so probably not. It sounded like it's more about dynasties so it would make more sense if player inheritance is not directly tied to primary title inheritance.

It also sounds like in many cases you won't be dynast and won't make actual decisions about dynasty development.

If you choose to start as the Dynast, you will probably remain as such as long as your house remains the strongest house in your dynasty.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Wyld Karde posted:

CK3 Dev Diary #1 Dynasties & Houses

Cadet branches, renown, dynastic legacies... looks like the extended family dynamics are going to make for some interesting gameplay opportunities.
That's neat, I liked the old tool for early CK2 that read save files and calculated the total prestige of each family so you could see how they ranked.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sindai posted:

That's neat, I liked the old tool for early CK2 that read save files and calculated the total prestige of each family so you could see how they ranked.

How is that called? I always wanted that

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the idea of being able to control your family more, CK2 gave pretty limited control with only allowing arranging marriages within your court and not allowing legitimization of distant bastards or only giving you the ability to prevent distant children from marrying for a limited time. It seems like this is really leaving things open to spiderwebbing through the map like a good Hapsburg. Also finally allows for the dynasty mapview to finally be interesting instead of the same family name over every nation forever.

I don't like think I like legacies. Partly because the whole Europa Universalis idea system is kinda dumb, partly because if you've already got prestige effects from being born into a dynasty and the advantage of dynastic ties with other characters, what's the point of throwing extra boosts in for older, more powerful families? Is it going to be just minor boosts or whole abilities as if enough genetic breeding programs can give you laser eyes? Is it going to give motivation to link your dynasty to others like with the bloodline system? Is there supposed to be a significant difference between lategame and early game, or do preestablished dynasties start out further along the trees? Or is the whole point that renown forces the player along a certain playstyle so they need to give desirable rewards for it?

Also instead of giving the player the ability to decrease genetic defects, houses should get steadily increasing chances of genetic defects with age, that can then spread with royal marrage and interbreeding. That's the only historical way. :colbert:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Sure, but I like customizing dynastic superpowers. Nothing you said is really wrong, exactly, but I'm still excited for them

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also instead of giving the player the ability to decrease genetic defects, houses should get steadily increasing chances of genetic defects with age, that can then spread with royal marrage and interbreeding. That's the only historical way. :colbert:

Johan, release Hapsburg I you coward.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like the idea of legacies but I hope they don't allow snowballing too hard. CK is the only paradox line where you can reasonably expect your nation to collapse without being brand new or playing a really hard start and that needs to keep happening, plus flavour-wise great dynasties tend to go out with a pathetic whimper. No one sings about the glorious last stands of Charles "the Fat" Karling or Charles II "oh... oh no..." von Habsburg.

Hell the Capetians and their descendants lasted nearly a thousand years and they didn't go out even impressively sucking. Just two sad old cousins deposed and exiled one after the other. They couldn't even stick with the first, memorable time they got deposed.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 31, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got a question about the Decadence mechanic:

I'm in Iberia and my goal is to unify the penninsula. But after a successful Jiyhad I was awarded 1/2 of Egypt. Rather than dividing it up between my vassals and have to sail back and forth from Andalusia whenever there is trouble, I'm thinking of handing it off to one of my younger children and releasing it. My concern is: if I make my son independent, will I lose the ability to keep them from accumulating Decadence?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I like the new dynasty system because it actively encourages the player to seat their dynasty on foreign thrones even if it doesn't help their own personal realm blob, which is something medieval/early modern houses did all the time. Hell, I do it in CK2 just because I like watching my kids have thousands of prestige by age five just for being part of the most dominant house in Europe :shrug:

Sindai posted:

Isn't this in one of the ledger pages?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 31, 2019

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
What are some good starts to learn how to play as an Islamic character? I've only ever really played as christian or pagan.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It sounds like a replacement for bloodlines so while it might be a bit too powerful, it sounds interesting! Very much designed for Christian characters though, As muslim lands tend to be incredibly blobby in most starts while with pagans you are usually the beginning and end of your religion.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’m a huge sucker for anything that lets me put the maximum amount of fuss into encouraging a game mechanic to passively spread across a map so those changes sound pretty rad.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Anno posted:

I’m a huge sucker for anything that lets me put the maximum amount of fuss into encouraging a game mechanic to passively spread across a map so those changes sound pretty rad.

:same:

Every feature they announce is getting me more hyped

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
with 3d models, wait until the inevitable :nexus: mods

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Elias_Maluco posted:

How is that called? I always wanted that

https://www.millenaire.org/gloriamundi/index.php?l=en

Gloria Mundi, which was a rehash of the old old Dynastic Glory program which did the same thing for CK1. It actually had a more complex and nuanced scoring model than the game's own.

I remember the Rurikovics always coming first in CK1 because there were so many of the bastards :argh:

e:

Oh yeah, there the fuckers are :argh:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 31, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Eimi posted:

It sounds like a replacement for bloodlines so while it might be a bit too powerful, it sounds interesting! Very much designed for Christian characters though, As muslim lands tend to be incredibly blobby in most starts while with pagans you are usually the beginning and end of your religion.

I dunno, it seems like you could slot in CK2 decadence mechanics pretty simply, and Iqta would probably have even more reason to try to control family members.

I think they implied that religions won't be as isolated, but even within pagan lands, you'd want to manipulate family ties to deal with the constantly fracturing gavelkind states. Could even get dangerous if it gives pagan leaders the ability to exert control over freshly fractured states and not be slowed down by gavelkind.

Imagine if they did map randomization as the first DLC.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Armacham posted:

What are some good starts to learn how to play as an Islamic character? I've only ever really played as christian or pagan.

Just try to do the Abbasid strikes back achievement. Muslims are so good though (or were the last I played them a million years ago) because I feel the ai doesn’t take advantage of them that well but the player can.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

SlothfulCobra posted:

Imagine if they did map randomization as the first DLC.

...honestly, my first thought would be how often would it break/it break things when patches/expansions come out.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 1, 2019

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Armacham posted:

Playing Muslims is pretty much the same as playing feudal Christians, aside from a few minor differences. You could try one of the Iberian emirs in 1066, or one of the Iranians in 936. If you want someone that starts strong, you could do the Fatimids in 1066.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Armacham posted:

There really isn't that much difference between Iqta and normal feudalism, but Muslims do start with agnatic open succession which is far and away better than starting in god-damned Gavelkind. Decadence is pretty easy to manage as long as your family is mostly within your own realm; be careful about marriages and that shouldn't be a problem. The other major difference between Christian or pagan feudalism and Islam is that Iqta rulers can also hold temples, which is... okay? Castles are still broadly better for levies but your mileage may vary. Maybe your roleplay centers around being pious to your own detriment, I don't know, I'm not here to tell you how to have fun.

It's not a *good* start, per se, but I love the 769 chief of Canarias because he's tribal and Muslim so you can form an Islamic republic which is a very good combination because of large adult sons unlanded adult males (four wives makes this easy) increasing your post limit and such as well as every other MR probably being Christian in some fashion, so you can conquer cities and trade posts even easier than normal. He's also Berber culture which means you can raid, which you will probably also want to do pretty regularly because early game MRs are kind of rough.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 1, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Just try to do the Abbasid strikes back achievement. Muslims are so good though (or were the last I played them a million years ago) because I feel the ai doesn’t take advantage of them that well but the player can.

The Emir of Seville is another good start. It's not even been a hundred years and I've conquered France.

(I think I'm done with that game too since the blobbening is well under way. Maybe go a few more years to see if I can repel the inevitable crusade, but after that...I think I'll try a Russian start of some sort.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Canaries tribal start is great, I just hate the location.

Nice thing is if you start as him you can still found a republic anywhere you conquer, such as Ceuta.