Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Is Griffin still going to score and edit the podcast? It would probably be for the best to split those duties so Travis can just focus on DM’ing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Heck, same.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Is Griffin still going to score and edit the podcast? It would probably be for the best to split those duties so Travis can just focus on DM’ing

I'm pretty sure Griffin's doing the score (he did the theme song at least), but Travis edited this first ep.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Morpheus posted:

The absolute best thing about Magnus was he was just absolutely so plain bread mayonnaise to start. He was literally 'fighter with a shield'. There was like a page of backstory that Travis sent Griffin and which Griffin did not talk about until it came up (which I think changed quite a bit too). Also he was good at carpentry and maybe animal handling or something.

Most of Magnus's backstory vetoed before episode 1 for being way too dark for an internet comedy podcast (and considering what made the cut...)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Magnus having a 14 page back story that gets ignored 5 sessions in is very on-brand for D&D, to be fair.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

Magnus having a 14 page back story that gets ignored 5 sessions in is very on-brand for D&D, to be fair.

It's also very on brand for Travis, apparently. I was completely unsurprised during the TTAZZ episode to hear that he'd statted out dozens of NPCs for Graduation "just in case".

(I'm the same way when I DM so I feel free to mock what I know.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
TAZ: Graduation Episode 1 is up. Nearly two hours long :drat:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There is a 0% chance that Clint (nearly called him Merle) will remember the benefits that come with his race.

Edit: I think half the run time of this will be Justin talking.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 31, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Fuckin hell Justin. A slow talking character is going to drive Griffin crazy lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Per TAZ rules, Justin has the best character.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is this an actual adventure or the part where they make their characters and explain all about what they are

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Is this an actual adventure or the part where they make their characters and explain all about what they are

They start immediately by walking into a dorm room and introducing themselves to each other, there's no 'prologue' episode. Works much better.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It gets straight into IC time

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Edit: I think half the run time of this will be Justin talking.

this was exactly my thought lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

And on your turn?

"I...will charge....towards....the enemy....but...before...I do...that...............I will cast.....Shillelagh."

Right okay so you ca-

"I....will........do it at.....a higher.....level......wait.....I can't....nevermind."

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m a bit concerned that keeping up with all the NPCs will troublesome if they remain in the one setting for a majority of the game. They’re all pretty good so far, but I’m not great with that sort of thing. Balance was a bit easier to manage as most characters didn’t carry over from arc to arc.

Justin’s voice choice could be an issue, but he picks up speed a bit over the course of the episode so I’m not too worried about it. Campaign seems good so far I’m interested to see where it goes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It is legitimately very strange having Travis and not Griffin do the ads and shoutouts and stuff.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Morpheus posted:

And on your turn?

"I...will charge....towards....the enemy....but...before...I do...that...............I will cast.....Shillelagh."

Right okay so you ca-

"I....will........do it at.....a higher.....level......wait.....I can't....nevermind."

One of my favorite lines from Balance was Griffin telling Justin that he casts spells like Perd Hapley.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

much as i love travis and have middle sibling solidarity. he really sounds like hes reading box text in his descriptions and i hope i works on that as a skill

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Trav is nailing a lot of these NPC voices.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
Episode 1 of Taz:g is pretty good but I definitely began to tune out towards the end. Two hours of Travis energy is just too much, but I know that the rest won't be quite as long.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zero One posted:

Trav is nailing a lot of these NPC voices.

He's really quite good at slipping between them without pause.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That’s what 3 classes at UCB will get ya

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Justin having the best character once again.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I will say, I really like Justin's character but I quite like the interactions that Griffins character is having with people, the way he reacts to people mentioning that he's stuck in his sidekick track feels pretty genuine.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Griffin channeling all his youngest brother energy into his character is great. Really plays to his strengths.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

People think Justin makes great characters, but we all know Bud was chosen by the Final Pam.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I feel his slow talking character is going to get annoying but overall it could be a good series

I really was not into the last one

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

As a monster who listens to TAZ at 1.4x I have no issues with Bud's speaking pace. :shobon:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

unrelated to graduation but i started listening to worst idea of all time, and I wish Tim & Guy had more of the energy that they have on Deathblart. even in the most recent season they're still pretty subdued on their own

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

unrelated to graduation but i started listening to worst idea of all time, and I wish Tim & Guy had more of the energy that they have on Deathblart. even in the most recent season they're still pretty subdued on their own

can you blame their lack of energy, given the nature of the show

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It’s not called The Most Exciting And Energizing Idea Of All Time.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I'm kind of digging Graduation so far. I've laughed really hard at more than a few things so far.

I like that Travis' idea is basically the OSI v. The Guild of Calamitous Intent in a fantasy format from Venture Bros.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It sounded like Travis made a really fun wrestling school.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I wonder if Justin is sort of challenging himself with Bud, since Taako and Duck were both very talk-y characters.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Graduation is overall pretty promising but I really hope the "Travis stops the pod for ten minutes to have a conversation with himself" segments are just part of being the opening episode.

Also liked him giving the chef a strong spanish-y accent and back-tracking on it in real time

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My mental picture of Bud is just a palette swapped Blanka

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think he introduced... a literal dozen NPCs in the first episode.

It seems really promising but waaaay too many characters for the first episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I think he introduced... a literal dozen NPCs in the first episode.

It seems really promising but waaaay too many characters for the first episode.

Somebody's gotta be the actual focus of the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Finishing the episode, I think Clint may have an actual hidden goal of some kind for his character, which I'm very excited about. All his questions were very pointed and seemed to be about wanting to be the sidekick for someone specific at the school.