Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My hunch is they're setting up White Man to carry some/all of the season 2 load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My hunch is they're setting up White Man to carry some/all of the season 2 load.

Have you listened to the podcast? Because there’s little to no casting overlap between seasons (though I do realize some plot twists would be foiled by how the Watch series is structured.) White Man doesn’t seem nearly charismatic enough to carry a scene, much less an episode.

Edit: I just realized that you’ve only watched to episode 6. In my mind I was projecting you to have finished the series, but that’s just not possible yet. Sorry for the confusion.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Limetown TV series makes some weird changes

Spoilers for up to episode 6:

1. Lia is a creepy pervert
2. She has a white male sidekick now for reasons
3. This white male sidekick is a serious journalist who stands up for the story's integrity
4. Lia is not and manipulates the story to her own advantage
5. Lia is willing to blackmail her boss by exposing thier affair to keep loving with the story (see #1)
6. Emile’s season 1 role is beefed up to accommodate casting the Tuche
7. The threw in some more dead ends to pad the runtime and get Lia nekkid

Thanks, I hate it.

I mean, I know I complained that Lia was too passive and should have had more agency, but- not like this...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Magnus continues to be the best horror fic podcast by a country mile

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
That was a big old twist! I guess the folks that theorized that Jon had been marked by all the powers were right. How people are able to keep tabs on all the loose ends on this show I'll never know, but I'm glad they do.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 31, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah that was one hell of a cliffhanger to end the season on. April is so far away.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 31, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tbqh they should have just called that episode “The Magnus Archives”

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Ratatozsk posted:

Have you listened to the podcast? Because there’s little to no casting overlap between seasons (though I do realize some plot twists would be foiled by how the Watch series is structured.) White Man doesn’t seem nearly charismatic enough to carry a scene, much less an episode.

Edit: I just realized that you’ve only watched to episode 6. In my mind I was projecting you to have finished the series, but that’s just not possible yet. Sorry for the confusion.

I've listened to the whole thing and I completely agree with you. My hunch is that the sudden shift in perspective was a problem to be solved and White Man is the way to do it and pad out season 2 through a "search for Lia" plot. But yes, it stinks!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
magnus archives good as hell

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm also mad that they cut the bit with Lia's mom and the phone call coming from inside the house. That part really creeped me out.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

TMA: huh. Well that certainly changes the landscape. Do we know the root of the earlier (correct) rumors that seem to have played out in this episode? It’s time for a relisten with present revelations in place and curious how much will stand out.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Jonah Magnus: what a dick.

Also: about all the other rituals - Tim died for nothing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

boo_radley posted:

gently caress

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Considering how the latest TMA episode ended, it makes me wonder if next season format will be different.

(major spoilers, seriously don't look if you haven't listened to it) It's kind of hard for me to imagine Jon just kicking back reading statements while the world is ending and eldrich horrors are running rampant

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Next season should be the Magnus Archive 81

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Magnus season 4 finale could have been the series finale and I'd have accepted it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

theblackw0lf posted:

Considering how the latest TMA episode ended, it makes me wonder if next season format will be different.

(major spoilers, seriously don't look if you haven't listened to it) It's kind of hard for me to imagine Jon just kicking back reading statements while the world is ending and eldrich horrors are running rampant

My guess? as he's able to see literally everything, he'll be taking "statements" of currently occuring events as they plan their next move.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Mokinokaro posted:

My guess? as he's able to see literally everything, he'll be taking "statements" of currently occuring events as they plan their next move.

Either that or people who have experienced the horrors of the new world.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I binged the second half of TMA season 4 and that was definitely the best way to experience it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Is this the thread for Passenger List?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

boo_radley posted:

Actually, it's worse. He died to help Jonah

Tweak posted:

Next season should be the Magnus Archive 81

Nightmare monster road trip.

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 1, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
After some prodding by a coworker and in celebration of the spooky season I marathoned all of TMA over the course of 2 weeks.

My conclusion: Good as hell

finale was a shocker but after going through the whole thing I have to say that The Extinction is by far the most tantalizing plot thread and I am utterly fascinated to see how it plays into what happened in the finale especially because it was conspicuously absent from the ritual

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

After some prodding by a coworker and in celebration of the spooky season I marathoned all of TMA over the course of 2 weeks.

My conclusion: Good as hell

finale was a shocker but after going through the whole thing I have to say that The Extinction is by far the most tantalizing plot thread and I am utterly fascinated to see how it plays into what happened in the finale especially because it was conspicuously absent from the ritual

Crackpot theory: S5 will be about our intrepid heroes Intentionally birthing the Extinction so an "unawakened" power exists to force the other ones out of the world.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Droyer posted:

Crackpot theory: S5 will be about our intrepid heroes Intentionally birthing the Extinction so an "unawakened" power exists to force the other ones out of the world.

This makes some insane kind of sense. It IS something the other powers would fear.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Someone posted this on the Magnus subreddit and it's kind of perfect, though I do imagine the Archives being a bit more tidy..

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

New Leaf posted:

Someone posted this on the Magnus subreddit and it's kind of perfect, though I do imagine the Archives being a bit more tidy..

Jon complains constantly early on about what a terrible and unskilled archivist Gertrude was, though by now I'd say that was entirely deliberate on her part.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Mokinokaro posted:

This makes some insane kind of sense. It IS something the other powers would fear.

Honestly, the only people in fear of The Extinction have been those aligned with a power.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Honestly, the only people in fear of The Extinction have been those aligned with a power.

Well the people in the Amazon and that guy that got tormented by a phantom numbers station were both pretty afraid of it.

Though you are right that the agents of the other powers seem to either be trying to ignore it away or are abjectly terrified by the entire concept of its existence.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

gently caress, that owns.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

AnEdgelord posted:

Well the people in the Amazon and that guy that got tormented by a phantom numbers station were both pretty afraid of it.

Though you are right that the agents of the other powers seem to either be trying to ignore it away or are abjectly terrified by the entire concept of its existence.

drat, I had forgotten about the numbers station one. I don't know how, as it was loving amazing.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

On a relisten, Breekon and Hope show up in episode 2, as does the table and a post-script weird apartment building with only one person living in it.
Sadly the apartment goes unnamed, so unclear if it’s just nonspecifically creepy or connected to Peter Lucas.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

drat, I had forgotten about the numbers station one. I don't know how, as it was loving amazing.

I read on the wiki that someone put the numbers through some sort of decryption thing and what they said was "THE WORLD IS ALWAYS ENDING"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pope Guilty posted:

Jon complains constantly early on about what a terrible and unskilled archivist Gertrude was, though by now I'd say that was entirely deliberate on her part.

I'm pretty sure they've explicitly said that was the case.

God I love how she's gone from being mentioned in passing as some doddering buffoon who doesn't know how to file things properly to a stone cold badass who stared down the avatars of fear and kept the world from being turned into hell. She was the Batman of the archival stacks.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

There's a ton of little hidden things in the picture. I wish I had it larger so I could pick out more, but there's definitely the fire extinguisher with a creepy spider nearby, and a copy of "A Gift for Mr Spider" tucked away. I see another book that someone might recognize (I can't place it), plus what looks to be the blueprints of the building.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

New Leaf posted:

There's a ton of little hidden things in the picture. I wish I had it larger so I could pick out more, but there's definitely the fire extinguisher with a creepy spider nearby, and a copy of "A Gift for Mr Spider" tucked away. I see another book that someone might recognize (I can't place it), plus what looks to be the blueprints of the building.

Take a look at the stained glass itself.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Well yeah that's hard to miss..

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I stopped listening to the Magnus Archives at like episode 15 or so and have been meaning to go back to it. Sounds like I’m gonna need to do that sooner rather then later.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

New Leaf posted:

"Seven Lamps of Architecture" by John Ruskin.

Plus the bones and maggots in the lower left.

BrainParasite fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 6, 2019

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The box on the left looks like a partially obscured “Lightless Flame”. There’s a small amulet or necklace above that which may have their symbol on it, but I may also have unconsciously conflated their described logo with the Yiga clan mark from Breath of the Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Fil5000 posted:

I'm pretty sure they've explicitly said that was the case.

God I love how she's gone from being mentioned in passing as some doddering buffoon who doesn't know how to file things properly to a stone cold badass who stared down the avatars of fear and kept the world from being turned into hell. She was the Batman of the archival stacks.

Someone on Reddit said "the only thing we have to fear is Gertrude" and I want that shirt.