Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gyges posted:

Zoro met his teacherwhen he tried to waltz in and try and crush the dojo. Kuina beat him and he stayed to try and beat her.
That's the anime version. In the manga he was already a student when the flashback began and no reference is made to how he got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It's gonna be awkward when sis realizes she's attracted to little bro

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

the oda levels are off the charts
I mean, as soon as someone said "That thing ate my daughter!" you knew it was gonna get cut open and everyone was going to be fine. If that wasn't going to be a plot point they just wouldn't mention anything specific. Perhaps there would be mention of "casualties" if it was going for a really dark tone. This isn't one of those "Oda wants the drama of people dying, but feels bad about killing characters off" things. It was clearly an over the top folk-hero legend from the start.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Shame on U-DO Burger for underestimating the abilities of Oden Kozuki

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Eiba posted:

I mean, as soon as someone said "That thing ate my daughter!" you knew it was gonna get cut open and everyone was going to be fine. If that wasn't going to be a plot point they just wouldn't mention anything specific. Perhaps there would be mention of "casualties" if it was going for a really dark tone. This isn't one of those "Oda wants the drama of people dying, but feels bad about killing characters off" things. It was clearly an over the top folk-hero legend from the start.

oh i agree, it's awesome and completely on point for an over the top folk-hero legend

it's also just really funny to see the narration say "the monster ate an entire village of people, but thankfully no one died"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
oden rocks!!

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
I'm at work and can't check but is it possible that the guy with the face covering straw hat in the chapter illustrations years ago is Zoros teacher retracing the Straw Hats journey and is going to show up in Wano?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nope, he's still checked back on in cover arcs and he's teaching students at the dojo still.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

everyone always assumes the crocus drink guy is shiki

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Lots of good Buggy content in Stampede got me thinking. My prediction for the ending: Buggy is there when Luffy finds the One Piece, and asks to like, hold onto it for just a sec. Buggy then runs off with it and declares himself king of the pirates. Luffy gets that "I'm gunna kick your fuckin rear end" look in his eyes, and the Buggy is like JUST KIDDING HAHA YOU'RE THE REAL KING OF THE PIRATES I WAS JUST TESTING YOU.

Buggy then becomes known as the man who was so selfless and kind that he actually gave up the One Piece and title of king of the pirates. So profound, truly a hero for the ages.

This is great and I would laugh my rear end off if this actually happened.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've always liked Buggy seems to give no shits about the One Piece.

Truly, Captain Buggy is so good and pure that his heart has no room for greed.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Crosspeice posted:

Nope, he's still checked back on in cover arcs and he's teaching students at the dojo still.

Just a man dedicated to education

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Funky Valentine posted:

I've always liked Buggy seems to give no shits about the One Piece.

this especially fun considering how likely it is that Buggy knows exactly what One Piece is

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Come to think of it, it’s weird that the WG didn’t ask Buggy to tell them everything he knew about One Piece and Laugh Tale when he became a Warlord. Or maybe they did ask and he either had no useful information or lied.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Silver2195 posted:

Come to think of it, it’s weird that the WG didn’t ask Buggy to tell them everything he knew about One Piece and Laugh Tale when he became a Warlord. Or maybe they did ask and he either had no useful information or lied.
Not the first government to underestimate a juggalo.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Orochi reveal definitely cements his status as a stand-in for Toyotomi Hideyoshi I believe.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oda is playing real fast and loose with whom represents whom
Orochi is definitely inspired by and definitely is (fictional dramatizations of) Hideyoshi-coded: i.e a cruel idiot who backstabbed his way into power.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Especially a bit funny since you already had the original three Admirals as representations of the Three Uniters, with the Nobunaga equivalent currently in power and characterised by total ruthlessness and a penchant for scorched-earth destruction. Oddly enough it means basically splitting the positive and negative portrayals of Nobunaga into two characters, probably fitting since recent Japanese historians and art have given him a more nuanced look in retrospect. (Mostly that the nasty stuff Nobunaga did in retrospect isn't any worse than what other rulers did as a matter of course except that he didn't give a poo poo about the rules) While Kizaru is the other equivalent of Hideyoshi and more of a space case, though no less ruthless when he has an actual task to accomplish. I don't know if we've seen a Wano equivalent of Ieyasu yet.

Mind you, I know most of what I do about these people from Pokemon Conquest and other people's discussions on the topic.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 1, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Silver2195 posted:

The Elder Stars probably know or at least have suspicions about what One Piece is.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Especially a bit funny since you already had the original three Admirals as representations of the Three Uniters, with the Nobunaga equivalent currently in power and characterised by total ruthlessness and a penchant for scorched-earth destruction. Oddly enough it means basically splitting the positive and negative portrayals of Nobunaga into two characters, probably fitting since recent Japanese historians and art have given him a more nuanced look in retrospect. (Mostly that the nasty stuff Nobunaga did in retrospect isn't any worse than what other rulers did as a matter of course except that he didn't give a poo poo about the rules) While Kizaru is the other equivalent of Hideyoshi and more of a space case, though no less ruthless when he has an actual task to accomplish. I don't know if we've seen a Wano equivalent of Ieyasu yet.

Mind you, I know most of what I do about these people from Pokemon Conquest and other people's discussions on the topic.

I have a hunch that Yasuie is the Ieyasu of Wano :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Begemot posted:

I have a hunch that Yasuie is the Ieyasu of Wano :v:

Well he's a bit dead.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As someone who also only studied the Sengoku era through the lens of videogames, I can say that neither Oden or Akainu is Dracula enough to represent old Nobs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

He told them everything, but every time they asked the answer was different, because no one is able to learn about Raftel and the One Piece without going on the adventure.

Except Ace and every other D we've seen die. They're smiling because they're told the truth just before they die.

One Piece is actually the name of the combination Mecha whose home base is Raftel. Roger left all his gold inside the right leg mech.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 1, 2019

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I freaked out when I saw Oden carrying two swords. I'm gonna bray like a donkey when he puts a third between his teeth.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Supersonic Shine posted:

I freaked out when I saw Oden carrying two swords. I'm gonna bray like a donkey when he puts a third between his teeth.

Regarding that I personally hope he never does. I would hate for all the Straw hats unique features to be derivatives of past generations. It is why I am constantly worried that it will turn out Gold Roger secretly had the Gum Gum fruit. Im fine with Luffy having his hat and personality, but please let his fighting style be solely his own invention.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

it would be weird if he did this because none of his retainers have remarked about how familiar zoros 3 sword style is

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

it would be weird if he did this because none of his retainers have remarked about how familiar zoros 3 sword style is
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Zoro is the only bastard crazy enough to try and do that poo poo and it needs to stay that way.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Zoro is the only bastard crazy enough to try and do that poo poo and it needs to stay that way.

He is I’m almost certain, what’s actually going on is a legacy of skill not blood. Oden inspires the fighting style of Zoro’s Master who helps Zoro perfect Three Sword Style is where I think this is going.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It would be pretty funny if Oden placed a sword near his mouth in a dire situation only to pull it away and dismiss the idea as foolish.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vise the Stompy posted:

Regarding that I personally hope he never does. I would hate for all the Straw hats unique features to be derivatives of past generations. It is why I am constantly worried that it will turn out Gold Roger secretly had the Gum Gum fruit. Im fine with Luffy having his hat and personality, but please let his fighting style be solely his own invention.

Tbh i still kind of suspect that that Gold Roger had the gum gum fruit but no one ever really knew because he never tried doing even basic poo poo like Gum Gum Pistol and it wouldn’t even help negate blunt attacks against haki users so it ended up being worse than nothing for him specifically

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I honestly can appreciate the work that’s gone into the flashback. But it’s not particularly interesting to me, I just want more current Wano story instead.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Andrew_1985 posted:

I honestly can appreciate the work that’s gone into the flashback. But it’s not particularly interesting to me, I just want more current Wano story instead.

Yeah it's giving me big Skypeia flashbacks of this big flow-breaking flashback that really could have been put anywhere else

though not quite as bad since it is during some down time instead of in the middle of the final fight

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mostly I don't care about Oden. :shrug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pureauthor posted:

Mostly I don't care about Oden. :shrug:
In a few chapters you'll change your tune and weep at the tale of O D. En.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Andrew_1985 posted:

what if i told u this is the current wano story :catdrugs:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bacon flaps posted:

what if i told u this is the current wano story :catdrugs:

Oden's story does parallel Luffy's. But, after Colby and Smoker, who will the other 5 Marines who become Luffy's bros be?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think Oden is rad and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Do you think the baby boar will have grown up by now and make an appearance during the battle with Kaido?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the baby boar did grow up. and his name was. oars iii

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Whenever Oden's not on screen, everyone should be asking "Where's Oden?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This is going to be the most interesting flashback imo cause we'll finally meet Roger for more than 1 panel.