Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

GoutPatrol posted:

I mean...I would be fine with that. I'm getting very tired of playing against it. But compared to some much more annoying poo poo...it can live for now.

Could we try posting our top 3 what we would like to see banned?
Oko
T3feri
Spell Queller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Nothing until something proves it needs it. Banning cards in competitive formats because they create feelbads when the meta is fine and diverse is not good.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Nothing until something proves it needs it. Banning cards in competitive formats because they create feelbads when the meta is fine and diverse is not good.

its this

even if you hate t3feri its a pretty good safety valve against the Marvel decks and we should really make sure it isn't the only thing preventing turn 4 Emrakuls and Ulamogs from destroying the format before we ban it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ban islands wizards you pussies

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Teferi, Time Raveler isn't unfair tbh. Just good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Things to ban in pioneer:

Islands
Swamps
Wastes

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Teferi, Time Raveller probably would have been more enjoyable to play against if his passive and his +1 were swapped, and while I find him incredibly unfun to play against in standard, I think he's fine in pioneer.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

berenzen posted:

Teferi, Time Raveller probably would have been more enjoyable to play against if his passive and his +1 were swapped, and while I find him incredibly unfun to play against in standard, I think he's fine in pioneer.

Hey, somebody else who likes this idea!

The part where Teferi makes a bunch of stuff not work properly because of the specific wording of his effect is frustrating as well, especially when "Your opponents can't cast spells during your turn" would do the job just fine and feel more like a white effect than the original Teferi's 'technically blue' effect. Yes, it makes your opponent able to counter your countermagic, but gently caress you, a card shouldn't be able to remove all ability to interact with the stack.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tubgoat posted:

Oko
T3feri
Spell Queller

I love how dedicated you are to this bit

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mezzanon posted:

I love how dedicated you are to this bit
:tipshat:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Has anyone effectively broken Aetherwork Marvel yet? That was my guess for picking up a ban when the format was announced, but it doesn't seem to be making waves. Is Ulamog and Emrakul just not good enough?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I actually dislike Spell Queller specifically because it is kludged together in such a way that it interacts poorly with a whole bunch of stuff in a not fun way, and it's attached to a competitively-priced card so the poor interactions come up a lot. The main ones are that it counters uncounterable spells and uses the old abusable O-Ring templating, but it also bypasses Veil of Summer in the worst possible way, because spells don't have hexproof and it's not technically countering it.

Questing Beast has a similar problem but the kludges are narrower - damage prevention bypassing protection typically doesn't matter because Blightbeetle can't block it anyway, and the trample + deathtouch interaction is at least consistent with the game rules as a whole even if it's wildly unintuitive.

For another example of damage assignment being weird, Torbran makes combat awkward because you still need to assign lethal damage and Torbran's effect applies after, so your red 3/1 can't eat 3 3/3s because it has to assign 3 damage to the first one despite meaning it overkills it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bypassing Veil of Summer. What a tragedy.

Related: my top 3 cards to ban:

Veil of Summer
Veil of Summer
Veil of Summer

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Veil of Summer
Veil of Summer
Veil of Summer

That card is dumb. And i play it when possible.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Veil of Summer
Veil of Summer
Veil of Summer

The card should have been printed in modern horizons, where it belongs :shrug:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ungulateman posted:

The card should have been printed in modern horizons, where it belongs :shrug:

It should have been printed where it truly belongs. The dumpster.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Veil of Summer shouldnt exist. if you disagree you are wrong. Being mad that a card bypasses veil of summer is proof you are on the side of evil and should not be trusted.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i've got the "no take only throw" comic in mind but it's a blue mage with "pls interact on stack? no interact!! only get countered"

the black mage is saying "pls play creature? no attack!! only get removed" but at least he lets enter the battlefield abilities go on the stack before killing the creature in response

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tibalt posted:

Has anyone effectively broken Aetherwork Marvel yet? That was my guess for picking up a ban when the format was announced, but it doesn't seem to be making waves. Is Ulamog and Emrakul just not good enough?

There were a couple Marvel decks but the energy package may not be good enough to compete against other decks. There was at least one 5-0 with it. Yeah, Marvel makes energy, but the best part was being able to cast something the turn it came out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ungulateman posted:

i've got the "no take only throw" comic in mind but it's a blue mage with "pls interact on stack? no interact!! only get countered"

the black mage is saying "pls play creature? no attack!! only get removed" but at least he lets enter the battlefield abilities go on the stack before killing the creature in response

yeah, i cant believe how many spells blue counters. a dozen a game? more??? its about time green got a way to deal with it

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

suicidesteve posted:

Veil of Summer
Veil of Summer
Veil of Summer

One of my favorite mtgo moments recently has been someone casting Veil of Summer in response to a lightning axe, the veil resolved, then the lightning axe, and then their creature died. 30 seconds passed and I just saw “****” in the chat followed immediately by a concession.

Similar situation happened in modern right after Throne dropped and the opponent cast a Veil of Summer in response to a Thoughtknot Seer trigger.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Is anyone going to champs on Saturday?

rabidsquid posted:

yeah, i cant believe how many spells blue counters. a dozen a game? more??? its about time green got a way to deal with it

My opponent has never resolved a spell against me. NEVER!!!!!!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Dehtraen posted:

One of my favorite mtgo moments recently has been someone casting Veil of Summer in response to a lightning axe, the veil resolved, then the lightning axe, and then their creature died. 30 seconds passed and I just saw “****” in the chat followed immediately by a concession.

Similar situation happened in modern right after Throne dropped and the opponent cast a Veil of Summer in response to a Thoughtknot Seer trigger.

#fuckreading

rabidsquid posted:

Meanwhile, White is sitting in the corner crying as Blue keeps hoarding all the taxing counterspells while claiming White is still primary in taxing. "White dips its toe into the ability with taxing and delay-style counterspells." Barring reprints, the last actual white counterspell was back in loving CONFLUX, over a decade ago. Meanwhile, there's 4 taxing counters in Blue in Standard alone, not even touching on other formats. Give me a colorshifted Mana Leak, or Delay, or Remand, or counter-Oust. poo poo that's like, "you can have this spell, but (you have to jump through my hoops/not right now)". Keep hard counters in Blue, but pass some of the "soft" counters over to White.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ban islands

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

That facebook group is horrible and I have no idea why anybody wouldn't be on the subreddit or at least the main discord by now.

Reddit is one of the shittiest sites in the world, is my guess

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

My favorite part about lovely mtg Facebook groups is how on every post, no matter what it’s about, one of the first three comments is multi paragraph screed against netdecking and calling for players to go back to a simpler age of mtg that never actually existed, where everyone was just running rogue brews and there was no meta whatsoever.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
drat near everyone netdecks, and even if they don't if someone cobbled together a modern deck out of the multiple thousands of available cards it's more than likely that someone has done that deck and better and posted it online.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ungulateman posted:

I actually dislike Spell Queller specifically because it is kludged together in such a way that it interacts poorly with a whole bunch of stuff in a not fun way, and it's attached to a competitively-priced card so the poor interactions come up a lot. The main ones are that it counters uncounterable spells and uses the old abusable O-Ring templating, but it also bypasses Veil of Summer in the worst possible way, because spells don't have hexproof and it's not technically countering it.
Nope, sorry, apparently you're just a whiner! Git gud, scrub.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Bypassing Veil of Summer is actually extremely good because the card is horseshit and should’ve been toned down somehow

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

the card is horseshit and should’ve been toned down somehow
Same, but Spell Queller.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bypassing Veil of Summer is actually extremely good because the card is horseshit and should’ve been toned down somehow

Same, but Oko.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Just lol at complaining about spell queller and being mad that veil of summer doesn't work in that one spot, imagine being upset about queller and not veil, the dumbest color hoser ever printed.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Just lol at complaining about spell queller and being mad that veil of summer doesn't work in that one spot, imagine being upset about queller and not veil, the dumbest color hoser ever printed.

Veil doesn't hit red. :shrug:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tubgoat posted:

Veil doesn't hit red. :shrug:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean
Summerveil doesn't affect me, personally, which is the litmus test for whether or not a card is degenerate. See: almost every other poster not having the slightest problem with Spell Queller because their spells have hexproof or something?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ok Ill bite, how is Spell Queller meaningfully worse than any other counterspell?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

Ok Ill bite, how is Spell Queller meaningfully worse than any other counterspell?

it bypasses veil of summer

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

I mean it exiles the spell, hits anything 4 or less and leaves a 2/3 body.

It’s a good card, Tubgoat just has brain problems (about it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ban Frilled Mystic as well