Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

*insert all the postive smilies here; vince, perfect, drat, etc.*

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh goodness, that's beautiful. :allears:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

“MAMA MIA! GET’A BACK HERE!”

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Let's play Paper Mario: Master Quest - Goombario used Honk!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

If anyone is interested (while we're waiting for the updated version of the game), it looks like Stryder7x on youtube uploaded a highlights video for his Master Quest playthrough. There are definitely spoilers with respect to this thread, though, it shows content from later in the game than we've gotten here. I have to say, I was quite impressed with the strategy he used to beat a certain fight in Shy Guy's Toy Box, which is one of the few things I still haven't done.

Edit: I had to manually type the bloody URL to fix that, thanks forum software.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 3, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Probably should just link the video since the thumbnail has a spoiler.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

"One of my friends took an entire day to beat one of the bosses."

"Was he bad at the game?"

"No he has the world record."

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

"One of my friends took an entire day to beat one of the bosses."

"Was he bad at the game?"

"No he has the world record."

That entire video was hilarious and I'm looking forward to seeing Quackles go into the gritty details of the rest of that bullshit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Explopyro posted:

If anyone is interested (while we're waiting for the updated version of the game), it looks like Stryder7x on youtube uploaded a highlights video for his Master Quest playthrough.
You know what I learned from this video? There's a separate preemptive attack for the Super Boots ground pound.

I'm pretty drat sure that must be in vanilla but I never even thought to try that :eyepop:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You know what I learned from this video? There's a separate preemptive attack for the Super Boots ground pound.

I'm pretty drat sure that must be in vanilla but I never even thought to try that :eyepop:

It is in vanilla! A bit tricky to pull off though. For that matter, Tornado Jump first strikes also exist!

You can also pull those off in TTYD. Along with the Spin Hammer technique. Can't do it with TTYD's Spring jump though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Araxxor posted:

You can also pull those off in TTYD. Along with the Spin Hammer technique. Can't do it with TTYD's Spring jump though.
Which makes sense, because the spring jump isn't designed to land on stuff, only to grab onto high up stuff. That's actually really good flavor.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Thamz has stated that the mod will probably be released by one week from today.

When the final version is out, I'll go through the changelog for the parts of the game we've already seen, and give my opinion of each change.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Quackles posted:

Thamz has stated that the mod will probably be released by one week from today.

When the final version is out, I'll go through the changelog for the parts of the game we've already seen, and give my opinion of each change.

Awesome, really looking forward to it. Will this also include the easy mode verison of the hack, or is that coming later?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CascadeBeta posted:

Awesome, really looking forward to it. Will this also include the easy mode version of the hack, or is that coming later?

I'm told they should release at or very close to the same time.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Personally, I like a challenge, but from what I’ve seen of the current patch (and god knows what they’ll do with the final one)...I think I’m just gonna opt into the easier patch. Like some of the new stuff they’ve done, others...not so much considering that nobody’s managed to do the Pit without savestates worries me horribly

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This is exciting news. Now I'll just need to decide whether there are enough changes to justify restarting or not...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Welp, it's out. There'll be a slight delay, then updates will resume with a changelog post!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Somebody has a very suspicious definition of "one week"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Curious as to where the difficulty of Master Quest Jr lands

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Feels pretty good. Formations so far are mq but damage is reduced. The spiked goombas aren't death incarnate like they were. Only to looper so far though.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Just reached the desert, and I can agree that Jr. seems much more approachable so far.

edit: buzzar is still a monster though, drat

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 13, 2019

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Great Master Quest Changelog Hunt

So. Master Quest v1.3 (Final) has been released. I’ve had a look through the changelog, and there’s some new and obnoxious changes in the parts we’ve already played.

Here’s a full list of all changes we’re in a position to have encountered so far.

Prologue

Paragoombas do 2 damage, not 1.

Verdict: Buff (moderate)
This is apparently a longstanding oversight that had been intended for a while, but still - ouch! 2 damage is a lot when you only have 10 HP.
I’m not sure if Paragoombas lose the attack boost when knocked down or not, though the way Hyper Goombas behave (see below) suggests they do.

Chapter 1

Bill Blasters have only 5 HP (was 6), but have 3 Defense (was 2).

Verdict: Buff (nasty)
If you’ll remember from when I fought the Bill Blasters, I was able to whittle down their HP without using any FP, thanks to Kooper’s Shell Toss doing 1 damage to each Blaster. Now, any non-FP-using attack will bounce off.

The only ways to damage the Blasters now are:
• Bombette’s Bomb (which will do 3 damage to one, for 3 FP)
• Hammer Throw (which, thanks to it being buffed, does 1 damage per hit, for 3 FP - see below for details)
• Power Jump (which also does 1 damage per hit, for 2 FP),
• using a POW Block (which does 2 damage to Blasters and Bills both, ignoring Defense).

There’s also Pebbles (1 dmg, pierce def) from the Toad Town Shop (see below), high rolls from Gambler’s Jump, and the Dusty Hammer (3 dmg, pierce def) which you get from a block in the castle. But there’s only one Dusty Hammer, Gambler’s Jump is inconsistent, and - well - you’d need a lot of Pebbles!

Remember, I only had 10 FP when I did this battle, there are three Blasters, and you get Refresh after you free Eldstar. The chances of doing this battle itemless just dropped to nil.

Bullet Bills drop fewer Star Points.

Verdict: Seriously?
The other thing I did in the Bill Blaster battle was use the fact that, at Level 4, each Bullet Bill drops exactly one (1) Star Point. By stalling out the battle and only jumping on the Bills, I was able to accumulate 100 Star Points and level up to Level 5. This has been removed - Bullet Bills now drop Star Points only at level 2-3 or below (exact details unknown).

I wouldn’t call this a nerf exactly - I’m pretty sure Mario’ll still be able to grind to Level 5 in the castle if need be - but what it does feel like is like a ‘screw you’.

Chapter 2

Banditos start the battle invisible until they take their turn.

Verdict: Buff (minor to moderate)
The devs said Banditos were supposed to be elite versions of Bandits. The catch is, it was a good strategy to focus them down first because of their low HP (making them vulnerable to Power Jump), their habit of running immediately if they stole any coins, and (most dangerously) the fact that their attacks could inflict Dizzy if you didn’t block properly. Now, Banditos will always have a free shot at Mario. For the most part, this is minor, but if you get Dizzied, it could be pretty dangerous.

As a slight mitigation, I think Banditos are a bit rarer to find in the desert.

Bandit Leaders now deal 10 damage instead of 7, and are affected by Sleep and Dizzy for less time. They’re now also called “Bandito Elito”s.

Given that Banditos Elitos (is that the right plural?) only show up some of the time, and then only in two screens of the whole desert, this isn’t too big a concern, but: yeah, they’re nastier. Also, if you’re using Dizzy Shell on the first turn, the transparency of the regular Bandito makes it harder to apply Dizzy to the other enemies because of how Dizzy Shell’s action command is calculated. Tangle with at your own risk!

Swoopers do 5 damage instead of 4 when attacking from the air (as opposed to when perched). Both attacks were sped up, but the from-air attack was sped up quite a lot.

Verdict: Buff (minor to moderate)
Swoopers were the least threatening enemy in Dry Dry Ruins, except for maybe Buzzy Beetles. They’re now more threatening, but only once you knock them off the ceiling. Then, they become so fast in their attacks that I consistently failed to block each attack when they tried it.

Stone Chomps are now immune to Dizzy.

I never tested it during my trip through Dry Dry Ruins, but Stone Chomps were originally extremely vulnerable to Dizzy. Now they’re not. Fortunately, the charge-and-quake strategy I used originally should still work.

It looks like regular Chomps are (still) weak to Dizzy. That’s something I also never tested.

Stone Chomps now aren’t alone.

”Tape” images created by vectorpocket.

So remember the Stone Chomp rooms in the Ruins? How Mario got in fights with two Stone Chomps (or, in one case, three)? Well, the three Stone Chomp battles have been updated so that they’ve got friends. The new formations are as follows:

• One of the two-Stone-Chomp rooms have had a Pokey Mummy added between each Chomp.
New formation: Stone Chomp, Pokey Mummy, Stone Chomp.

• The other two-Stone-Chomp room has a Buzzy Beetle added behind each Chomp.
New formation: Stone Chomp, Buzzy Beetle, Stone Chomp, Buzzy Beetle.

• The three-Stone-Chomp room now has a Dry Bubble, of all things, at the back.
New formation: Stone Chomp, Stone Chomp, Stone Chomp, Dry Bubble.

The Buzzy Beetle room is a little less unpleasant than the others, but I could foresee the other rooms being very unpleasant. Particularly the three-Stone-Chomp fight, which took a big chunk out of Mario’s HP last time I was there, as I recall. Getting through these fights now is left as an exercise to the reader.

Chapter 3

Fuzzies of all types now still inflict damage if Mario is electrified, but they don’t heal. Forest Fuzzies’ attacks now inflict one turn of paralysis.

What the hell, Thamz? Forever Forest was already hard enough - if you’ll remember my run through there, I mostly survived by keeping Zap Tap on and walling the Forest Fuzzies, giving me time to heal up.

Now, not being able to wall them makes things worse… but then there’s getting paralyzed, which effectively knocks Mario out for two turns, and makes him unable to guard other attacks for one of those. Fuzzies are pretty hard to block, so on your first trip through the Forest of Perpetual Night and Terrible Dangers, you’ll have to apply lots of firepower to Forest Fuzzies, spend lots of time paralyzed and getting beaten up (and bite it a lot), or run like hell.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, none of this was mentioned in the changelog. It’s noted that Jungle Fuzzies don’t get walled by Zap Tap now, but the change to Forest Fuzzies - and the status infliction - are completely undocumented. I found this out during unrelated testing.

Bzzap!s’ sting attack inflicts 2 turns Poison instead of 4.

Verdict: Nerf (minor)
If a Bzzap! hits you, you’ve mishandled the fight already. The decreased poison duration does help if you can’t get rid of the Bzzap!s in one turn, though.

Bzzap!s’ bee swarm attack inflicts 4 turns Shrink instead of 2 turns Poison.

Verdict: Bug Fix (ha) but also Nerf (minor)
I have it on good authority that the swarm attack was always meant to shrink, and the wrong status was applied in the code. Again, if you get hit by this, you’re already kind of in trouble - but the Shrink’s arguably preferable to the Poison, as your partner can pick up some KOs next turn, and you conserve a bit of HP. And you can still fight back, because Bzzap!s have low HP.

Boos only deal 6 damage per attack…

…but get another turn of invisibility when they hit half HP.

Verdict: Buff (moderate). Buff (nasty) if you don’t know about the invisibility and/or this is the fight outside Boo’s Mansion.
OK, I can appreciate the lowered damage, at least, but the fight is now more technical - and you can end up taking a lot more turns/attacks if you trigger the invisibility (which happens when the Boo first attacks while at/below 5 HP, so they won’t go invisible if you Dizzy them). And if this is your first time running into Boos, we-ll, you made a save state at the start of the battle, right?

Hyper Paragoombas deal 5 damage instead of 4.

Verdict: Buff (minor)
The enemies in Gusty Gulch just aren’t that big a threat, except for maybe Hyper Clefts. This damage boost isn’t serious, for the most part…

…though, for formations like this, it might be a tad intimidating. Be sure to pack Multibounce!
(If you knock the wings off Hyper Paragoombas and they turn into Hyper Goombas, they only deal 4 damage again.)

The timing of Red Clubbas’ 8-damage shrinking swing attack is no longer randomized.

Verdict: Nerf (moderate)
Thank goodness! Maybe now Mario won’t get shrunk every single time a Clubba does that attack.

Red Clubbas now have a unique name and tattle.

What? I’m not a fan of red. No offense.
These guys pack a punch, so take ‘em out fast. Don’t be afraid to use items or some of that FP.
If you need to, running is an option as well. Better to get out alive than try and be a hero!

Dark Koopas’ AI script has been changed. The changelog says “should be harder to get stunlocked”.

Verdict: Nerf (minor)… I think
Based on some reports (thanks starlite!), it appears the change is as follows: Dark Koopas still charge the dizzy attack a most of the time, but the dizzy attack will not inflict Dizzy again if you are already Dizzy. This is not as ground-breaking as it sounds - on the turn Dizzy wears off, Mario can’t act, so you still have to block any upcoming dizzy attacks to not get plunged back into being Dizzy.

And the dizzy attack has almost no tell, blockwise.

Toad Town Tunnels

Blooper has increased status resistance.

I remember the Blooper fight as being a cake walk when I could put him to sleep, and not that hard without being able to do so. If he’s less sleep-resistant… that’s fine.

Electro Blooper has increased status resistance.

If you remember from the Electro Blooper fight, the Blooper Babies were a bigger threat than the Electro Blooper itself. My strategy was using Lullaby to put the Babies (and sometimes the Electro Blooper) to sleep. If the Electro Blooper stays awake… well, that’s also fine.

The Dojo

Lee’s air toss attack now debuffs Attack by 1, in addition to debuffing Defense by 1.

Why, Thamz, why? Lee was already hell in a bucket to beat when he debuffed your Defense alone. Now he lowers your Attack along with it!
Truly, when the MQ devs say something like, “Lee should only be beatable after Chapter 3”, and it turns out a strategy exists to beat him after Chapter 2, this is what happens.

Items

Fright Jars, previously for sale in the shop by the Toad Town gate, have been replaced with Pebbles.

Verdict: Mixed Bag (but leaning towards Nerf (minor))
Fright Jars acted like Bow’s removed ‘Spook’ skill: you used it, and it had a chance to scare every enemy away from the battle. You didn’t get any star points for removed enemies, but you didn’t have to fight them. It appears this was a Pit of 100 Trials balance chance, to prevent people from getting too deep into the Pit too early (though the fact you could get rid of certain minibosses with it, such as the Cherry Bob-ombs in Koopa Fortress, likely didn’t help things).

This change may have had an obnoxious side effect: I’m not sure if Fright Jars are sold in any shop anymore! This remains under investigation.

Anyway, the replacement is the lowly Pebble. What can I say? It’s a rock. As an attack item, it deals 1 damage to an enemy, piercing their Defense. This is actually a nice thing to have early in the game - it provides an additional answer to Clefts for the climb up Mt. Rugged, before the Quake Hammer badge is acquired.

The Life Shroom on Shooting Star Summit is now an Ultra Shroom a Stop Watch.

Verdict: [sigh]
Remember how the Lucky Stars (or rather, Mafia Influence) badge was here, and then it was replaced with a Life Shroom? Well, now that’s gone.

To put all this in context: one of the changes in this release of Master Quest, which we haven’t been in a position to see yet, is that all recipes that gave a Life Shroom now yield a Sweet Shroom instead. Players can first buy Life Shrooms starting in Chapter 7. So the game gives you, like, one or two Life Shrooms before then. Total. We better use ‘em wisely, I guess!
EDIT: I've received a report that there's a Stop Watch here, not an Ultra Shroom. Stop Watches are also limited until Chapter 7, so this could be useful for a tough fight. Cool!

Badges

Close Call (1/3 chance enemies miss completely during Danger) is now Hold Fast (+1 Def during Danger).

Verdict: Buff (minor) at first, Nerf (moderate) later
Close Call has been removed as part of the devs’ desire to remove evasion as a strategy. While +1 Defense during Danger is very useful during the early game, enemy damage scaling grows to the point that the badge quickly becomes useless later on by itself (though the enemy damage scaling does also have the side effect that it’s possible to die without ever hitting Danger, so it’s not as big of a nerf as it initially appears).

This does need a little bit more investigation - when combined with Last Stand, Hold Fast could improve Danger builds later on, if the effect of Hold Fast is applied after Last Stand’s damage reduction.

Hammer Throw does +2 extra damage, not just +1.

Verdict: Buff (glorious)
This makes a lot of the nonsense worth it. Hammer Throw doing 2 extra damage puts its power on par with the Super Hammer before you even get it. This badge was already made to carry Mario through a lot of the early game - adding an extra damage to it puts it on par with Power Jump, and makes it likely it’ll help you out even further.

Rowf now sells Multibounce after Chapter 2, and Truth Stomp after Chapter 1 (before it was the other way around).

Verdict: Mixed Bag
This is almost certainly related to Banditos gaining invisibility. It’s not that much of a concern in the grand scheme of things - there weren’t many uses for Multibounce in Chapter 2 where Quake Hammer wouldn’t be better (the only thing that comes to mind is some early battles on Mt. Rugged before Parakarry signs on). And Truth Stomp is still, well…

I couldn’t get a good pic for this one, so check out Truth Stomp’s cool new sprite, instead!

Truth Stomp is now two jumps instead of one, doing normal jump damage.

Verdict: Buff (minor or moderate, depending)
This one is hard to figure out, because I don’t know how a particular interaction works. The two jumps by themselves are nice because they’ll flip Koopas and then do damage, so that’ll help if we ever run into an invisible Koopa. But the real question is - how do the two jumps work with jump charges? This warrants further investigation. If the damage of the two jumps is affected by charge power, Truth Stomp could be a real winner for later on.

Gambler’s Jump and Smash are reworked.

It appears that now Gambler’s Jump and Gambler’s Smash give a random damage output, with equal probability for each outcome:

• If you have the ordinary Boots, Gambler's Jump can deal 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 damage.
• If you have the Super Boots, Gambler's Jump can deal 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8 damage.
• If you have the Ultra Boots, Gambler's Jump can deal 0, 3, 6, 9, or 12 damage.

• If you have the ordinary Hammer, Gambler's Smash can deal 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 damage. (This will never happen, because you can only buy the badge after Chapter 2.)
• If you have the Super Hammer, Gambler's Smash can deal 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9 damage.
• If you have the Ultra Hammer, Gambler's Smash can deal 1, 4, 7, 10, or 13 damage.

The badges aren’t completely terrible, now, and might be somewhat good early game because of the increased chance of a favorable result. Do you feel lucky?

Dizzy Attack now costs 3 BP (from 2).

For those who’ve forgotten, Dizzy Attack dizzies the frontmost enemy in a battle formation when you spin dash into it on the field. The effect lasts for one turn only. I honestly think the badge was situational at best before the nerf, and now will likely not be used outside of Luigi’s Challenge.

Pretty Lucky (enemies have a 1/10 chance to miss) is now Star Gift - for 3 BP, it now doubles your natural Star Power regeneration.

Verdict: Buff?
This is strike #2 on the devs’ “get rid of Lucky badges” hit list. (We’ll cover Lucky Day when we collect it later in the game.)
Star Gift, as the badge now is, doubles Star Power regeneration - instead of Mario recovering 1 SP bar in eight turns, it will now only take four with this badge equipped. This looks like it could be a reasonable badge in certain situations - particularly drawn-out battles, or the Pit of 100 Trials, for example.

An extra copy of Happy Heart and Happy Flower have each been added to Donlow’s shop.

Verdict: Buff (minor)… I think
For normal runs, Happy Heart and Happy Flower have a low enough chance for HP regen (1/3 chance of 1 HP or FP) that this won’t make that much of a difference. For Luigi’s Challenge, this could be quite useful - but I’m not familiar enough with how the challenge plays to say for sure.

During Luigi’s Challenge, 0-cost badges now still cost 0.

This is me tooting my own horn a bit. I’m responsible for the patch that added this functionality. It’ll be a nice quality-of-life change for Luigi’s Challenge players to have access to Speedy Spin and other 0-cost badges without any drawback.
Interestingly, Berserker happens to be a 0-cost badge…

Partners

Goombario’s Charge is now +3, but costs 4 FP (was 1).

Ignore the ‘+5’ arrow. That’s a visual bug they’ll fix eventually… maybe.

This one feels like a mixed bag. On one hand, Goombario has to take less turns charging to get to his cap of +6 - which could be outright critical in tough fights. (The cap works now, btw - they fixed that bug.)
On the other hand, well… the days of cheap 1 FP charging are over! 4 FP is a comparative big oof, at least in the early game (or in Luigi’s Challenge). But I think the increased utility outweighs it, for the most part.

Parakarry’s Air Lift now costs 6 FP (was 5).

It’s what it says on the tin. I get why they did it (Air Lift is pretty good), but… yeah, okay. [sigh]

There are also some changes to Pit of 100 Trials floors 17 through 19, but we’ll see those next time I take on the Pit.

Now, more importantly: Since Donlow’s stock of badges has changed, it’s time to rerun the Star Piece Badge poll. Here's what Donlow has for sale now:

Attack FX A: 1 , 0 BP - Changes the sounds of Mario’s attacks. No other use.
Chill Out: 2 , 1 BP - Prevents Mario from being hit by an enemy First Strike.
Pay-Off: 3 , 1 BP - Makes extra coins appear after a battle if Mario was beaten up a lot.
Berserker: 5 , 0 BP - Boosts Mario’s Attack by a large amount (2-3?), but he acts on his own, and the player only controls the partner. Note that only Mario can use items and Star Spirit powers.
HP Drain: 5 , 3 BP - Reduces Mario’s attack by 1, but he restores 1 HP each time he hits an enemy. (Multi-hit attacks count each enemy separately.)
Star Gift: 7 , 3 BP - Natural SP regeneration is doubled. (Normally, Mario regenerates 1/8 of a bar each turn. With this, he regenerates 1/4 of a bar.)
Heart Finder: 7 , 2 BP - Makes 1-3 extra HP-restoring Hearts drop from enemies after a battle.
Flower Finder: 7 , 2 BP - Same as Heart Finder, but with FP-restoring Flowers.
Happy Heart: 10 , 2 BP - Has a 33% chance to restore 1 HP each turn.
Happy Flower: 10 , 2 BP - Same as Happy Heart, but with FP.
Mega HP Drain: 20 , 5 BP - Reduces Mario’s attack by 2, but he restores 2 HP each time he hits an enemy. Stacks with HP Drain.
Flower Saver: 20 , 5 BP - Reduces the FP cost of moves by 1, to a minimum of 1.
Crazy Heart: 20 , 5 BP - Has a 50% chance to restore 3 HP each turn.
Flower Fanatic: 30 , 8 BP - Reduces the FP cost of moves by 2, also to a minimum of 1. Stacks with Flower Saver.

So. What should we buy from Donlow?

Quackles fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 21, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man those changes are real fuckin rough, especially them deciding to replace the evasion badges with garbage. It's another attempt by them to make danger strats unworkable.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It feels like they got mad that people made it though bosses with dodges.

Which is a shame, since the dodges are a nice stroke of luck.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just binge-read this thread, and I want to tip my hat to Quackles for his patience. I've yet to play a PM game, but this is reminding me of FFT 1.3. Perhaps not *that* bad, but it just doesn't look fun and I admire Quackles for his tenacity.

Having said that, this thread has given me a desire to play PM. I will never touch another N64 controller so long as I live, but I do own the game on Wii U Virtual Console and I even have a copy of the nintendo guide handy. Does anyone have any suggestions, tips etc? I do tend to be a very 100% completionist sort, so if there are any permanently missable things I would especially like to know that. I get the impression that the base game is marvelous but on the easy side, but I'll take that over the alternative. If this goes well, perhaps TTYD at some point.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

JustJeff88 posted:

I just binge-read this thread, and I want to tip my hat to Quackles for his patience. I've yet to play a PM game, but this is reminding me of FFT 1.3. Perhaps not *that* bad, but it just doesn't look fun and I admire Quackles for his tenacity.

Why, thank you. I shall do my best.

quote:

Having said that, this thread has given me a desire to play PM. I will never touch another N64 controller so long as I live, but I do own the game on Wii U Virtual Console and I even have a copy of the nintendo guide handy. Does anyone have any suggestions, tips etc? I do tend to be a very 100% completionist sort, so if there are any permanently missable things I would especially like to know that. I get the impression that the base game is marvelous but on the easy side, but I'll take that over the alternative. If this goes well, perhaps TTYD at some point.

The base game is both marvelous and easy, and I recommend it. And TTYD is even better!

The only thing I would say to avoid missing content in Paper Mario is, when you pick up a badge or item as Peach, deliver it to the Mystery Chest straightaway.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Verdict: Those changes are a bunch of bullshit

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It'd be busy work, but HP Drain and Mega HP Drain could be quite useful for healing up between fights if you find enemies that you can easily block/avoid damage from. Just do a multi-hit or aoe attack and then run the turn after, heck if they're weak to dizzy you could even dizzy them and then drain and then run.

In general the removal of dodging based on luck for more actual defense actually fits with their intended skill based gameplay, whilst some of those changes seem unnecessarily harsh I am going to reiterate that this is a mod not for the average player, but for people looking for a specific challenge and skill test.

This doesn't mitigate all the bullshit, but it mitigates some of it.

I would also be interested in knowing what the easy mode for Paper Mario: Master Quest looks like now. So when that comes out hopefully Quackles will supply us with the changes for that version, I suspect it will be far more palatable for the thread as a whole.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Flower Saver or Star Gift are about the only useful things I see in there now. HP Drain is stupid broken in the base game, but a lot of what makes it so is gone in master quest I think.

Also wow at the jungle fuzzy change. Yes stunlocks are very fun to deal with.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would also be interested in knowing what the easy mode for Paper Mario: Master Quest looks like now. So when that comes out hopefully Quackles will supply us with the changes for that version, I suspect it will be far more palatable for the thread as a whole.

Yeah, looking at these changes I'm definitely getting a vibe that since there's an easier version now, they could stretch the early chapters to the hardest they possibly could. Remains to be seen how well the easy version is balanced.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's already out (check the OP!), but I'd have to play through MQJr to find out what's different, as there is no changelog of differences. And, well— one playthrough of this game is enough! XP

I might compile a changelog once all this is over

Quackles fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 16, 2019

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, gently caress that Bill Blaster change in particular. It might not be the nastiest change but requiring you dip that much into your FP that early in the game just seems needlessly mean.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Well, this all looks quite nasty.

I'm honestly surprised the luck badges lasted as long as they did, and that's definitely going to shake up people's strategies a lot I think - I rarely care to use them, personally, but I know they're quite popular, and I was surprised they were considered less cheesy than, say, Refresh stalling.

(Also, fixing Goombario's Charge definitely invalidates several of the strategies I ended up using, but I had a feeling that wasn't going to stay unbounded.)

I definitely think these changes are enough that I should start over, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to that, and I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to it either. This looks like it's going to be absolutely miserable to play through in quite a few places.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Ran across this in the last couple of days, and it's been a great read. I've alternated between impressed by the hacking skill of the modders and facepalming at their decisions, although Master Quest Light sounds like a reasonable option if they did it well. The mafia thing is just embarrassing, though. Kudos to keeping at this so far!

That said, I'm going to semi-seriously vote for Berserker because I'm very curious how that actually works in practice. It's at least one of the cheaper ones.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Berserker

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Yea I definitely don't have the patience to play through Master Quest. I'll probably just try PMjr.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Quackles posted:

The Great Master Quest Changelog Hunt

Oh, wow. :magical:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jesus, some of these changes are ridiculous and will demand either One True Tactic for each set, or that you have to pump everything into HP to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Robindaybird posted:

Jesus, some of these changes are ridiculous and will demand either One True Tactic for each set, or that you have to pump everything into HP to survive.

The previous version already seemed to have a couple of "You must have this much HP or get hosed loser", I'm disappointed but not surprised to see that come back with a vengeance even earlier.