Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Paper Mario?

Paper Mario is a Mario RPG for the Nintendo 64, released by Nintendo and Intelligent Systems in 2001. It's a classic, and worth playing and replaying over and over again.

Wait, I Don't Recall Nintendo Making a Master Quest, Though...

You're darn right they didn't! Paper Mario: Master Quest is a romhack by Emperor_Thamz, purseit, Rain, Brotenko, JaThePlayer, and others - adapted from the earlier Paper Mario: Pro Mode romhack, which also increased the game's difficulty. Not only does Master Quest make fights tougher, but it also promises, "New Badges! New Enemies! New Maps! New Minibosses!"

And I'm going play it more or less blind.

Blind.

Well, mostly blind. I played through the Prologue just to see what the fuss was about, and was immediately captivated.
I haven't gone any further... yet. I foresee a rough and bumpy time.
About the only other thing I know about the game is that you can fight Koopa Koot at some point.

OK, so when I wrote the above, I hadn't reckoned to the degree that being in the Paper Mario modding Discord would expose me to Master Quest-related chatter - and I also didn't consider that my desire to be surprised was going to clash with my desire to fully document the game. So I'm going into it... kind of blind. I've struck a balance.

I got my hands on the source code. This stopped being a blind run a while ago. For this game, I need all the info I can get!

Yeah, um... I ended up becoming part of the Master Quest dev team. For real. So this is almost exactly the opposite of a blind run now!

And now (Jan 2021) I kind of am the dev team's head. I'm nervous, but we shall see this grand project through to the end.

So How's This Gonna Work?

This will be a screenshot LP. I'll post screenshots of my adventures, together with my commentary on exactly how Mario's adventure has been rewritten.

I'll try to explain enough so that you don't have to have familiarity with Paper Mario to understand this LP - but it might help if you do, as I'll be highlighting any differences (no matter how small!) between the original game and this romhack as I encounter them.

Spoiler Policy

If you want to talk about the plot of Paper Mario, then go nuts. Have fun. However, this is a (sort of) blind Let's Play - so, please refrain from listing the changes between the normal game and the romhack before I run into them. It'll be more fun if I discover it all for myself!

This no longer applies. Go nuts.

So, without further ado...

Can I Play Along?

Sure can! The most recent versions of the patch are on GitHub:

https://github.com/Brotenko/PMMasterQuest

I recommend downloading and playing the easier 'Jr.' patch, for your enjoyment and sanity.

Master Quest v1.2.1.0 (This is the previous version of Master Quest before 1.3. It's linked here for historical reasons.)

You can patch your Paper Mario ROM (which should have a .z64 file extension) with the Star Rod Web Patcher.
If your rom has a .v64 or .n64 file extension, you might need to use the Offline Java Patcher instead.

I do NOT vouch for the quality or completeness of any of the linked files.

Table of Contents

Introduction - Mario Be Trippin'

Prologue - A Plea From the Stars

Part 1 - In Which Mario Discovers Ancient Ruins Outside Goomba Village
Part 2 - The Goomba King Gets Buff
Part 3 - The Mushroom Mafia and the Mountain
Part 4 - Chuck Quizmo and Other Diversions

Chapter 1 - Storming Koopa Bros.' Fortress

Part 5 - Fuzzies, Bigoombas, and Koopas, Oh My!
Part 6 - Mario Go Boom
Part 7 - Bombette, Burgling, Bros, “Bowser”, and a Bill-ion Bullets

Post Chapter 1

Part 8 - Into The Pit #1
Part 9 - Tass Times in Toad Town

Chapter 2 - The Mystery of Dry Dry Ruins

Part 10 - Of Clefts and Other Big Rocks
Part 11 - Dune and Out in Dry Dry Desert
Part 12 - The Secrets of Dry Dry Desert
Part 13 - The (Pokey) Mummy Returns: Tomb of the Marios
Part 14 - Later, Chompinator

Post Chapter 2

Part 15 - The Dry Dry Quiz Show Scandal (and Other Misadventures)
Part 16 - Toad Town Runaround
Part 17 - Toad Town Underground (ft. Sexy Blooper) (also includes Into the Pit #2)

Chapter 3 - The 'Invincible' Tubba Blubba

Part 18 - The Boos and the Bees
Part 19 - Mario In the Dark
Part 20 - Gulchin' Makes Me Feel Good
Part 21 - Mario’d Never Join a Clubba That’d Have Him as a Member
Part 22 - A Tale of Red Clubbas (and Tubba Blubba)
Part 23 - The Heart of the Chapter

Post Chapter 3

The Great Master Quest Changelog Hunt (VERY IMPORTANT)
One More Changelog Thing

Chapter 4 - Trials in the Toy Box

Part 24 - Big Trouble in Little Toad Town
Part 25 - Saving Private Tayce

Post Chapter 3 (Belated)

Part 26 - The Great Star Piece Hunt, or: Mario vs. The Master
Part 27 - Into the Pit #3

Master Quest Senior

Chapter 4 (Continued)

Part 28 - Bedazzled
Part 28 1/2 - The Downfall of the Big Lantern Ghost (as Told by Someone with Four Thumbs)
Upcoming Balance Changes - Big Lantern Ghost
Part 29 - General Guy: The Quackles Review

Post Chapter 4

Upcoming Innovation(?) - Unblockable Attacks
Part 30 - A Gourmet Battle, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bob-omb

Chapter 5

Part 31A - Welcome to the Jungle (1)
Part 31B - Welcome to the Jungle (2)

Dev Team

Quackles Joins the Dev Team
Dev Blog Update: Badges 'n' Items
Dev Blog Update: Behind the Curtain
Dev Blog Update: The Case of the Misdirected Train
Dev Blog Update: Nerf Day
Dev Blog Update: The Milestone System
Dev Blog Update: Milestone 1 Complete, Thamz Abdicates (IMPORTANT)
Thamz Plays Master Quest! (2.0 demo) (IMPORTANT)

Dev Blog Update: Cool Milestone 2 Stuff

Cross-Promotion - Paper Mario: Black Pit

Milestone 2 Complete!

Cross-Promotion - Randomizer!

{more to come...}

Appendices

Differences Between Master Quest and MQ Jr., Part 1
Differences Between Master Quest and MQ Jr., Part 2

A Brief History of the Anti Crew

Bonus Content

Whacka's Revenge (by Explopyro)
Whacka's Revenge II: Battle Stats
It's a Lovely Morning in the Mushroom Kingdom... (thanks to chitoryu12)

Quackles fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Badge List

Here's a list of all badges (we've found) in the game, along with notes detailing the updates for Master Quest. It'll be updated semi-regularly.

All or Nothing: Gives Mario +1 Attack, but if he fails to make an action command, he does no damage.
           Changes: Requires 1 more BP to equip (4 in base game). Costs 100 coins more to buy from Rowf's shop, too.
Attack FX B: Makes Mario's attacks sound like a slide whistle.
Attack FX C: Makes Mario's attacks sound like someone saying, "Oh!"
Attack FX D: Makes Mario's attacks sound like a bell.
Berserker: Gives Mario +2 Attack and renders him immune to status effects, but he acts on his own - this includes deciding who and how to attack! Mario won't use Items or Star Powers while wearing this Badge. You can still help Mario out by performing the Jump and Hammer action commands on cue, but the visual prompts won't display.
           Added: New in Master Quest. Free to equip. Bought from Donlow for 5 Star Pieces.
Damage Dodge: Increases how much damage your dodge action command protects against, by 1.
D-Down Jump: For 4 FP, a jump attack that ignores enemies' Defense.
           Changes: Costs +2 FP. Each hit does 1 less damage than a normal jump. Moved from Tubba Blubba's Castle to Jade Jungle.
D-Down Pound: For 4 FP, a hammer attack that ignores enemies' Defense.
           Changes: Costs +2 FP. Moved from Tubba Blubba's Castle to Rowf's shop after Chapter 3.
Deep Focus: Let Mario charge more Star Energy when using Focus. Doesn't apply to his partners (Group Focus).
Defend Plus: Mario takes 1 less damage from all attacks.
           Changes: Requires 2 less BP to equip (6 in base game).
Dizzy Attack: Lets you make the frontmost enemy in a battle dizzy when you Spin Dash into them on the overworld.
Dizzy Dance: For 6 FP, jump on all enemies a la Multibounce, with a 85% base chance to make each enemy dizzy. Doesn't need an action command.
           Added: New in Master Quest. 2 BP to equip. Found in the Pit of 100 Trials.
Dodge Master: Makes dodge action commands easier to time. It upped the Power Bounce cap for most enemies, both in the base game and prior to game version 1.2.1.0.
           Changes: Requires 1 less BP to equip (2 in base game). Available in Rowf's shop after Chapter 1, instead of after Chapter 2.
Double Dip: For 5 FP, use two items in a turn.
           Changes: Requires 2 more BP to equip (1 in base game). Costs +2 FP.
Double Pain: Doubles the damage Mario takes.
           Added: New in Master Quest. Free to equip. Found in the Pit of 100 Trials.
Flower Saver: All moves that use FP cost 1 FP less (to a minimum of 1). Stacks with itself and Flower Fanatic.
           Changes: Requires 1 less BP to equip (6 in base game). The copy in Donlow's stock costs 5 Star Pieces less than the original game.
Flower Fanatic: All moves that use FP cost 2 FP less (to a minimum of 1). Stacks with Flower Saver.
           Added: New in Master Quest. 8 (!) BP to equip. Bought from Donlow for 30 Star Pieces.
FP Plus: Gives you 5 FP.
Gambler's Jump: For 3 FP, jump on an enemy to do x0, x.5, x1, x1.5, or x2 the damage of a normal jump (equal probability).
           Added: New in Master Quest. 1 BP to equip. Found in Koopa Bros.' Fortress.
Gambler's Smash: For 3 FP, hammer an enemy with a damage bonus (or penalty) similar to that of Gambler's Jump. Will always do at least 1 damage.
           Added: New in Master Quest. 1 BP to equip. Bought from Rowf's shop after Chapter 2.
Group Focus: Lets your partners also use Focus.
           Changes: Requires 1 less BP to equip (2 in base game). Found between Dry Dry Desert and Gusty Gulch, instead of being on sale in the Badge Shop after Chapter 3.
Hammer Throw: For 3 FP, throw a Hammer to attack inconveniently placed enemies.
           Changes: Requires 1 less BP to equip (2 in base game). Costs +1 FP, but does +2 extra damage.
Hold Fast: When in Danger, +1 Defense. 1 BP to equip.
           Changes: Was originally 'Close Call' - for 1 BP, Mario had a 33% chance to dodge attacks while in Danger.
HP Plus: Gives you 5 HP.
           Changes: An extra copy of the badge is added to the Pit of 100 Trials, for a total of 4 in the game.
Ice Power: Mario's attacks do 2 more damage to fiery enemies; he can also jump on them safely.
           Changes: Requires 1 more BP to equip (2 in base game).
I Spy: Lets you know when you're in a room with a hidden Star Piece panel.
           Changes: Free to equip (1 BP in base game).
Jump Charge: For 3 FP, charge Mario's Jump, adding 2 damage to the next Jump attack. Stackable.
           Changes: Costs +2 FP. Now caps at +6 damage (no cap in base game).
Medicine Man: Healing items, in battle, give 50% extra HP and FP.
           Added: New in Master Quest. 2 BP to equip. Found in Rowf's shop after Chapter 3.
Mega Rush: When in Peril (1 HP exactly), Mario's Attack is boosted by 4. Does not stack with Power Rush.
Multibounce: For 2 FP, jump on every enemy in order.
           Changes: Available in Rowf's shop after Chapter 2, instead of after Chapter 1.
Pay-Off: If Mario gets beaten up a lot during a battle, enemies will drop more coins afterwards. The number of coins dropped will be equal to the damage Mario took.
           Changes: Requires 1 less BP to equip (2 in base game). Costs 2 Star Pieces more to buy than in Paper Mario.
Peekaboo: See enemies' HP without Tattling them.
           Changes: Requires 2 less BP to equip (3 in base game). Moved from Merlow's collection to the Pit of 100 Trials.
Power Bounce: For 6 FP, jump on an enemy repeatedly!
           Changes: Requires 1 more BP to equip (2 in base game). Costs +3 FP. The first jump does +1 damage, but each successive jump does only 3/4 the damage of the previous one (rounded down). Number of bounces capped at 5 hits for normal enemies and 3 hits for bosses. Moved from Koopa Bros' Fortress to Princess Peach's Castle.
Power Jump: For 2 FP, a powerful jump that does 2 more damage than the total damage a regular timed Jump would do.
Power Smash: For 2 FP, a powerful jump that does 3 more damage than the total damage a regular timed Hammer would do.
           Changes: Does +1 extra damage.
Power Quake: For 4 FP, a hammer attack that does 3 damage to all enemies on the ground and ceiling, piercing their defenses.
           Changes: Does 1 less damage (4 in base game). When all three Quake badges are equipped, this gets a damage boost (info TBD). Moved from Jade Jungle to Tubba Blubba's Castle.
Power Rush: When in Danger, Mario's Attack is boosted by 2. Does not stack with Mega Rush when in Peril.
Quake Hammer: For 3 FP, a hammer attack that does 2 damage to all enemies on the ground and ceiling, piercing their defenses.
           Changes: Requires 1 more BP to equip (1 in base game). Costs +1 FP. When all three Quake badges are equipped, this gets a damage boost (info TBD).
Quick Change: You can switch partners without using a turn.
           Changes: Requires 1 less BP to equip (4 in base game).
Refund: Refunds coins whenever you use an item in battle, equal to 75% of the item's sale price.
Runaway Pay: If you run from battle, you keep the Star Points you got so far.
           Changes: Requires 1 less BP to equip (2 in base game).
Shrink Stomp: For 4 FP, jump on an enemy and try to Shrink it.
           Changes: Costs +2 FP.
Shrink Smash: For 3 FP, hammer an enemy and try to Shrink it.
           Added: New in Master Quest. 1 BP to equip. Found in the Pit of 100 Trials.
Sleep Stomp: For 5 FP, jump on an enemy and try to put it to sleep.
           Changes: Costs +3 FP.
Slow Go: Mario moves at a slow, walking pace.
Smash Charge: For 1 FP, charge Mario's Hammer, adding 2 damage to the next Hammer attack. Stackable.
           Changes: Now caps at +6 damage (no cap in base game).
Speedy Spin: Spin Dash farther and faster.
           Changes: Now equips for free (1 BP in base game). Given by Twink before Chapter 1, instead of being bought from the Badge Shop.
Spike Shield: Mario doesn't take damage when jumping on Spiky enemies (or hammering Bristles).
           Changes: Requires 1 more BP to equip (2 in base game). Moved from Dry Dry Ruins to the Badge Shop, becoming available after Chapter 3.
Spin Smash: For 1 FP, hammer the frontmost enemy, knocking it into all the enemies behind it (collision damage is piercing). High-flying enemies won't be hit.
           Changes: Costs 1 less FP. Available in Rowf's shop after Chapter 1, instead of after Chapter 3.
Star Gift: Doubles the speed of passive Star Energy regeneration. Costs 3 BP to equip.
           Changes: Was originally 'Pretty Lucky' - for 3 BP, Mario had a 10% chance to dodge each attack.
Truth Stomp: For 1 FP, jump on invisible enemies.
           Added: New in Master Quest. 1 BP to equip. Bought from Rowf's shop after Chapter 1.
Zap Tap: Electrify Mario! Enemies take contact damage when they attack, which will interrupt and halt their attack turns. Also lets Mario jump on electrified enemies safely.
           Changes: The badge itself wasn't changed, but many more enemies are resistant to Zap Tap or even benefit from its presence.

Recipe List

Here are the Tayce T. recipe's we've found so far, the easiest way to make them, their effects, and any changes Master Quest has made.

Apple Pie: Restores 7 HP and 20 FP. An Apple filling surrounds flaky pastry made from Cake Mix, though it's more like a turnover than a pie.
           Changes: Restores 2 more HP and 5 more FP.
Big Cookie: Restores 30 FP. A Goomnut or an Egg help give this cookie body, when mixed with Cake Mix.
           Changes: Restores 10 more FP.
Bland Meal: Restores 10 HP and 10 FP. Many recipes exist to make this dish, but the easiest may be a Goomnut-and-Koopa Leaf hash.
Boiled Egg: Restores 15 HP and 15 FP. Made by boiling an Egg in water with a chopped Strange Leaf added.
           Changes: Restores 7 more HP and FP.
Cake: Restores 15 FP. Make with Cake Mix.
           Changes: Cake Mix is available earlier on (after Chapter 1 instead of during Chapter 4).
Deluxe Feast: Restores 40 HP and 40 FP! A Shroom Steak and Potato Salad of the highest quality combine to make a feast for all the senses.
           Changes: You get one (1) Iced Potato early on, in Chapter 4, allowing you to make one Deluxe Feast early, if you so choose.
Dizzy Dial: Has a chance to make all enemies dizzy. Readily purchaseable, but a skilled cook could make one with a Strange Leaf from Boo's Mansion - if they had a recipe to work with.
Egg Missile: Throw it at an enemy to do 8 explosion damage! Boiling an Egg together with a Fire Flower makes one - handle with care.
           Changes: Does 2 more damage than in Paper Mario. Damage is no longer dual-type (it was Fire and Explosion; now it's only Explosion).
Electro Pop: Restores 15 FP, and electrifies Mario! Volt Shroom chunks give this Cake Mix-based treat a kick.
           Changes: Properly restores 15 FP - was subject to a bug in the original game that set FP to (Mario's HP + 15).
Fire Flower: Attacks all enemies for 3 fire damage! They grow naturally in the wild, but cooking a Strange Leaf and Dried Fruit somehow makes one. Could the different plant families be related?
Fire Pop: Restores 20 FP, but hurts Mario for 1 HP. Cake Mix makes it sweet, but it's the Fire Flower that makes it spicy.
Fried Egg: Restores 9 HP and 1 FP. Made by frying an Egg.
           Changes: Restores 1 less HP, 1 more FP. Eggs are available earlier on, in the Toad Town shop (before Chapter 1 instead of during/after Chapter 2).
Fried Shroom: Restores 6 HP and 4 FP. Made by frying a Mushroom or Super Shroom.
           Changes: Restores 2 more FP.
Honey Candy: Restores 20 FP. Pouring Honey Syrup into Cake Mix gets you this delicious candy.
Honey Shroom: Restores 5 HP and 5 FP. Made by slathering a Mushroom with Honey Syrup.
Honey Super: Restores 10 HP and 5 FP. Made by pouring Honey Syrup over a Super Shroom or Volt Shroom.
Hot Shroom: Restores 15 HP. Made by steaming a Volt Shroom, or by cooking a Super Shroom together with a Mushroom or Dried Shroom.
           Changes: Restores no FP. (Originally restored 5.)
Kooky Cookie: Restores 15 FP and 1/2 a bar of Star Energy. Adding a Koopa Leaf, or Maple Syrup, to Cake Mix gives this refreshing cookie.
           Major Changes: Originally, this didn't affect Star Energy and instead made Mario Electrified, Asleep, or Invisible.
Koopa Tea: Restores 7 FP. Made by steeping a Koopa Leaf.
Koopasta: Restores 10 HP and 15 FP. Made by adding chopped Koopa Leaves to boiled Dried Pasta.
           Changes: Restores 3 more HP and 8 more FP.
Lemon Candy: Restores 5 HP and 15 FP. Made by juicing a Lemon from the desert and adding it to Cake Mix. Rumors of certain Shy Guys loving it above all else are greatly exaggerated.
           Changes: The recipe is unaltered, but you can't use it to bribe the Anti Guy guarding the chest in Shy Guy's Toy Box any more.
Lime Candy: Restores 20 FP. Adding Lime juice to Cake Mix gives this tart candy.
Life Shroom: When Mario would get KO'd, restores 10 HP. Originally, this could be made by cooking a Volt Shroom or Super Shroom together with a Koopa Leaf, Goomnut, or Strange Leaf.
           Major Changes: Importantly, Life Shrooms can no longer be cooked in Master Quest. Any recipe that made a Life Shroom will yield a Sweet Shroom instead. (see below)
Maple Shroom: Restores 5 HP and 10 FP. Made by soaking a Mushroom in Maple Syrup.
Maple Super: Restores 10 HP and 10 FP. A Super Shroom or Volt Shroom must be soaked in Maple Syrup some time for the flavor to properly infuse the shroom.
Nutty Cake: Restores 1 HP and 9 FP. The cake batter requires a Goomnut.
           Changes: Restores 1 more HP, 1 less FP.
Potato Salad: Restores 10 HP. Made by dicing an Iced Potato and adding herbs and spices. Best served cold!
           Changes: You get one (1) Iced Potato early on, in Chapter 4, allowing you to make one Potato-based dish.
Shroom Cake: Restores 8 HP and 20 FP. Adding Mushroom puree into Cake Mix makes a simple, but surprisingly filling treat.
           Changes: Restores 2 less HP and 10 more FP.
Shroom Steak: Restores 30 HP and 10 FP. Made by slow-roasting an Ultra Shroom by itself, or a Life Shroom together with a Mushroom or Super Shroom.
Sleepy Sheep: Has a chance to put all enemies to sleep. On sale in most stores, but a clever cook could also make their own by baking a Red Berry, Yellow Berry, or Blue Berry wrapped in a Strange Leaf.
Spaghetti: Restores 10 HP and 5 FP. A basic recipe made by boiling Dried Pasta.
           Changes: Restores 4 more HP and 1 more FP.
Spicy Soup: Restores 4 HP and 6 FP. Made with all-natural Fire Flower broth.
           Changes: Restores 2 more FP.
Strange Cake: Restores 1/2 a bar of Star Energy. May sometimes restore a whole bar or drain 1/2 a bar instead. Made by folding a Strange Leaf into Cake Mix.
           Major Changes: Originally, this didn't affect Star Energy and instead made Mario Electrified, Asleep, or Invisible.
Super Soda: Restores 5 HP and cures poison and Shrinking. Made by carbonating Honey Syrup or Maple Syrup.
Sweet Shroom: Restores 20 HP and 40 FP. Originally made by grating a high-class Ultra Shroom or Life Shroom into a Cake Mix batter, but many new recipes for this sweet treat have been discovered. (see 'Life Shroom', above)
           Major Changes: Restores 10 less HP and 20 more FP. Any recipe that made a Life Shroom will yield a Sweet Shroom instead.
Tasty Tonic: In battle, cures poison and Shrinking. Outside of battle, heals to full (99 HP) but drains 10 FP. Made by juicing a Lemon or Lime.
           Changes: Outside-of-battle effect added.
Thunder Rage: Does 1 damage to every enemy, and is very likely to Shrink them. Made by cooking a Volt Shroom and Dried Fruit together, though they're also easily available at shops.
           Changes: In the base game, did 5 damage to all enemies.
Volt Shroom: Electrifies Mario! Naturally occurring, but a regular Mushroom can be electrified by steeping it in broth with a Koopa Leaf, a Strange Leaf, or Dried Fruit.
           Changes: Only electrifies Mario for 1 turn. This was not done by the Master Quest devs, but by clover, maker of the earlier Pro Mode hack. The MQ devs just never bothered to change it back!
Yummy Meal: Restores 20 HP and 20 FP. Boiling Dried Pasta and adding a side of Dried Fruit gives this delectable dish.

Dry Dry Desert Map and Path Maps

This is a map of Dry Dry Desert (Master Quest edition).

The path maps below detail the quickest way to get to Dry Dry Outpost from Mt. Rugged (both with and without the Super Hammer), as well as how to get to the Oasis and back from Dry Dry Outpost.

Pit of 100 Trials Reference

Enemy formations in the Pit will be listed here as I battle them.

Floor 1: Goomba x2
Floor 2: Paragoomba, Koopa, Fuzzy
Floor 3: Fuzzy, Paragoomba, Parakoopa
Floor 4: Fuzzy, Bigoomba x3
Floor 5: Goomba, Spiked Goomba, Spiked Paragoomba x2
Floor 6: Koopa, Spiked Paragoomba, White Ninjakoopa
Floor 7: Koopa, Bullet Bill x2, Parakoopa
Floor 8: Bob-omb, Bullet Bill, Bob-omb, Bullet Bill
Floor 9: Bob-omb, White Ninjakoopa x3
Floor 10: Rest floor. Items: Mushroom, POW Block. Badge: Peekaboo.
Floor 11: Cleft x3
Floor 12: Red Paragoomba x2, Cleft
Floor 13: Cleft, Monty Mole x2, Red Paragoomba
Floor 14: Bandit, Bandito, Dry Bubble x2
Floor 15: Pokey, Bandit, Dry Bubble x2
Floor 16: Pokey, Bandito x3
Floor 17: Buzzy Beetle, Stone Chomp, Buzzy Beetle (Ceiling), Dull Bones
Floor 18: Pokey Mummy, Buzzy Beetle, Chomp, Pokey Mummy
Floor 19: Pokey Mummy, Stone Chomp, Chomp, Dry Bubble
Floor 20: Rest floor. Items: Honey Syrup, Fire Flower. Badge: Shrink Smash.
Floor 21: Forest Fuzzy, Purple Spiny x2, Bzzap!
Floor 22: Forest Fuzzy, Piranha Plant, Lakiwun x2
Floor 23: Boo x2, Bzzap! x2
Floor 24: Boo x4
Floor 25: Hyper Goomba, Hyper Paragoomba x2, Hyper Cleft
Floor 26: Hyper Cleft x2, Bristle, Hyper Paragoomba
Floor 27: Hyper Paragoomba, Bristle, Hyper Paragoombas
Floor 28: Hyper Goomba, Hyper Paragoomba, Red Clubba, Bristle
Floor 29: Hyper Cleft, Red Clubba x3
Floor 30: Rest floor. Items: Super Shroom, Snowman Doll. Badge: Dizzy Dance.
Floor 31: Shy Guy x3, Medi Guy
Floor 32: Sky Guy x3, Medi Guy
Floor 33: Shy Guy, Cherry Bob-omb x3
Floor 34: Shy Guy, Spy Guy x2, Medi Guy
Floor 35: Shy Guy x2, Medi Guy x2
Floor 36: Shy Guy, Groove Guy x3
Floor 37: Pyro Guy x3, Medi Guy
Floor 38: Shy Guy x4 (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow)
Floor 39: Anti Guy, Medi Guy x3
Floor 40: Rest floor. Items: Maple Syrup, Thunder Rage. Badge: HP Plus.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 19, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Introduction - Mario Be Trippin’

For the most part, Paper Mario: Master Quest starts off the same as the original Paper Mario: Mario and Luigi get invited to a party at Peach's Castle!

It’s a lovely occasion, with happy party guests who…

Wait, who’s THIS guy?

Cake, huh? Mario loves cake! Sure, I’ll try some.

Though I’m not sure what he means by ‘feel the effects’. Now back to enjoying the—

Mamma mia.

(The point of this Extremely Dubious Toad is to let you skip several cutscenes that kick off the plot of the game. By the time Mario comes to, Bowser will have made off with Peach’s Castle, hoisting it high up into the sky on top of his own, flying fortress. Had Mario attempted to fight him, he would have discovered that Bowser was now invulnerable thanks to the power of the magical wish-granting Star Rod, which Bowser filched for his own purposes.

Of course, the first Bowser fight didn’t happen, because Mario was off tripping and passed out in the grass near Goomba Village. Go figure.)

And so, Mario’s adventure begins in a truly inauspicious manner.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES FROM MAIN GAME (in this installment)

• A certain Toad lets Mario skip the intro cutscenes, through the time-honored method of getting as high as a Koopa.

Next Time On Master Quest: Bonus Dungeon unearthed ahead of schedule.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Prologue - Part 1 : In Which Mario Discovers Ancient Ruins Outside Goomba Village

The Prologue starts off a lot like the vanilla game… at first.

Music: Goomba Village

After one heck of a trippy dream, Mario wakes up in Goomba Village, just like in regular Paper Mario. The way to Shooting Star Summit would be through the east gate, but…

…Kammy Koopa shows up and smashes it. Like in the original game, we’ll have to get Goompa’s hammer to remove the big block - he was last seen fixing the veranda.

It seems that Goompa is a lousy carpenter.

We end up landing in the forest behind Goomba Village. In Paper Mario, this serves as the game’s opening “dungeon”, allowing you to get used to moving around and fighting enemies.

After finding the Hammer behind a bush, we can use it on the trees and Brick Blocks that are scattered around. Most only have coins (or nothing), but one tree has a doll that belongs to Goombaria.

On the way out, we’re horsed into a battle with the neighborhood nuisance, Jr. Troopa.

Music: Jr. Troopa Battle

This battle highlights a major difference between Master Quest and regular Paper Mario: You can use action commands during the prologue. In the vanilla game, you don’t get the ability to use action commands until after the prologue, when Princess Peach sends you a 'Lucky Star' pendant. Here, you're able to do them right away.

Because of this, at this point in the original Paper Mario, you’d be fighting Jr. Troopa without action commands - so your jump and hammer attacks would only do 1 damage, and Jr. Troopa’s attacks would always do 1 damage to you - 2 when he got down to low health and got mad. To make up for this, Jr. Troopa had only 5 HP.

In Master Quest, Jr. Troopa has only 4 HP, and your attacks do 2 damage if you get the action command right! With that and the ability to guard against his jumps, you can easily defeat Jr. Troopa in two successful attacks, without taking damage from him at all. (I missed a guard and took 1 damage.)

With Jr. Troopa defeated, we can smash the block blocking our way.

There’s also a Mushroom hidden in the nearby tree, and a Fire Flower on a nearby cliff. These’ll be our starting supplies until we get back to Goomba Village.

From here, it’s a matter of getting back home. There are parties of hostile Goombas along the way, but they shouldn’t pose too much of a threat - right?

Uh-oh.

While the Goombas and Paragoombas found here have not had their stats changed (they have 2 HP and do 1 damage when attacking), Spiked Goombas have been upgraded. They now do 3 damage with their spiky attack… and they also have a Defense of 1. (If an enemy has Defense in Paper Mario, it’s subtracted from the raw damage of each hit of the attack.)

This means that Spiked Goombas (who have 2 HP) now take two separate Hammer attacks to KO, so they’ll always get a chance to stick that spike in your face - and Mario’s ‘dodge’ action command only reduces the damage of any incoming hit by 1. Fortunately, there’s only one Spiked Goomba on the road between here and Goomba Village, and he’s alone.

We even pick up a star piece along the way! As long as Master Quest hasn’t mixed things up too much, we should be able to trade these for Badges later. For now, though, Goomba Village is in sight.

After returning to Goomba Village, Goombaria gives us a Star Piece as thanks for finding her missing doll.

In addition, Goompa has a present for the road: our first badge, Power Jump. Like the original game, it lets Mario deal 2 extra damage on a jump attack by spending two FP.

(For those who haven’t played the original Paper Mario, equipping Badges makes your battles easier (usually) in various ways, but they cost BP to equip. Power Jump uses one BP out of our starting three to equip, so we’ve still got plenty of space for any new badges we come across later.)

Then, Goompa suggests: time for Goombario to see the world!

And so we get our first partner.
Goombario’s starting moveset is the same as in Paper Mario: He can Headbonk enemies, doing 1 damage twice (the same as Mario’s Jump attack). He can also use Tattle to reveal enemy HP and other useful information - and he can tell Mario about the surrounding area, outside of battle.

Now, normally, with the block blocking the road taken care of, this would be the cue for Mario to set out on his grand adventure. But let’s do a bit of exploring, first… back to where Mario first fell to earth.

Hey, that’s odd. I don’t remember there being a block or a pathway here in the original Paper Mario. What’s this?

And this area wasn’t here, either.

Goombaria and I aren’t allowed to go back here. Mom said it isn’t safe.
But I’m with you now! We can go wherever we want. You always get to do fun stuff, Mario. It must be nice being an adult.

This area has a few Goombas floating around, and a ? Block with a mushroom on a high ledge.

There’s also this extremely dubious-looking cave entrance. (The block here had a Honey Syrup in it.)

I wonder what’s inside?

Okay, please don’t tell her I said that. But you have to admit, this place is pretty cool.
I bet this place would scare the pants off Goombaria, though. If Goombas wore pants.

OK, now I know this wasn’t in the original game. We’ve got an ancient tomb outside Goomba Village, for pete’s sake!

A spooky ancient tomb, too.

There’s a hidden gap in the railing by the coffins that leads to a walkway with a Star Piece.

Further in, the atmosphere looks unrelentingly grim.

This place must be super old. Even the torches here have burned out long ago.
Why do I get a bad feeling about this place?
I wonder how Mom is doing. I hope she isn’t missing me. Maybe I should visit. Right now.

Inside the center door is a room with… that stuff! I thought this game was E-rated!

There’s also a statue that looks kind of like a blind Mr. I. It has a message for us, but that’s all.
This is getting kinda ominous.

Backtracking and going through the right-side door yields a room with some old mushrooms. We’ll leave them here for now.

The mushroom room has a secret exit, which leads to a room with another Mr. I-ish statue.

I’m assuming it cues up some sort of boss fight, but we won’t be able to find out until we get to Peach’s Castle - which is around the end of the game. It’ll be a while.

If we backtrack and take the regular exit from the old-mushroom room, we end up in a very large hall with a beam of light pouring down… what IS this place?

ONE HUNDRED FLOORS TO DELVE FOR A PLACE TO LEAVE THEIR MARK
THIS PIT OF TRIALS IS A CENTURY LONG QUEST
OF ALL IN THIS WORLD THIS IS THE ULTIMATE TEST

Oh.

It seems the Paper Mario: Master Quest devs have back-ported the Pit of 100 Trials into the game.

For those who don’t know, the Pit of 100 Trials is an optional dungeon in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door where you have to fight 100 battles in a row, with only whatever you bring into the Pit to help you, plus anything you scrounge up on the trip through. In the pit in The Thousand-Year Door, there are rest floors every 10 floors with no enemies, a prize, and a chance to bail out early and keep the Coins, Star Points, and prizes you were able to get so far.

I’m going to enjoy doing the Pit challenge - later! Mario would get stomped on if I tried it now, with my 10 HP, 5 FP, and shiny new Power Jump badge. Instead, it’s time to head back to Goomba Village, and set out in the direction the plot points us.

Badges: 1/87 (New: Power Jump)
There are 80 Badges in regular Paper Mario.

Star Pieces: 3/180
There are 160 Star Pieces in regular Paper Mario.

• You can use action commands in the Prologue!
• Jr. Troopa has only 4 HP instead of 5, leaving him vulnerable to two well-swung Hammer hits.
• Spiked Goombas now deal 3 damage (instead of 2) when attacking, and have a defense of 1 (instead of 0).
• Pit of 100 Trials discovered in forest near Goomba Village.

Next Time On Master Quest: Mario besieged by inconveniently powered-up Goombas.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 3, 2019

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

That's nicely ominous.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
They seem to have goombario's dialogue down, which is a good sign.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I expected only an increase in difficulty and some minor changes to mechanics, not a whole new dungeon. That's an impressive level of work for what seemed like just a hard mode hack at first.

I'm definitely super interested in this now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I expected only an increase in difficulty and some minor changes to mechanics, not a whole new dungeon. That's an impressive level of work for what seemed like just a hard mode hack at first.

I'm definitely super interested in this now.

The pro mode hack that released a while back (that this hack is built on top of) came with extensive, and I mean extensive modding tools. That pretty much lets you adjust all sorts of things about the game to enemies and various attacks, to remodeling or adding in entirely new terrain.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Never in my life did I expect to see a Paper Mario romhack. God answers the strangest prayers. Looks interesting so far! I'm glad the ruins are so out of the way. Let's you safely ignore them if you're not looking for something too out of the ordinary. Pit of 100 is neat, though I cant say I'm excited to see it either.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

hm yes, this owns. I wish we could get a true Paper Mario style game for the Switch but this scratches the itch just fine

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Huh, this seems pretty neat. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Paper Mario is one of my favorite games so I'm very interested in seeing all the changes this romhack has to offer.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Ominous. I look forward to witnessing the pain.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

This looks interesting, I'll try it out. From what little I've played, I've noticed a minor change to Tattle from the original: Goombario no longer tells you attack and defense values for some reason. I'm guessing they changed them a lot during development and didn't want to have to update the tattle text each time? You missed some area tattles fwiw, each screen has a different one. It might be worth showing the new areas on the map screen, and by "might" I mean it'll be very underwhelming. The goomba tomb isn't any worse the Ocarina of Time's Shadow Temple imo, and that game was rated E at the time.

Have you thought about posting about this LP in the Romhack thread?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

You have my attention game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

NewMars posted:

They seem to have goombario's dialogue down, which is a good sign.

Uh, yeah, that should come with a bit of an asterisk. I cherry-picked the dialogue inside the pit. A few of the things he says have minor issues.

Second Room

This place is like if the cruddy smelling tunnels and creepy Forever Forest had a child.
I don't know if I should vomit or cry and I think I just might do both.
I guess I can forget ever sleeping again. At least the coffins look pretty sweet.

OK, one, the 'vomit' remark is out of character for Goombario - too negative, and two, I think the way he uses that word wouldn't pass Nintendo Treehouse certification circa 2001. Three, we haven't been to the Toad Town Tunnels or Forever Forest yet, so this is a continuity error.
(Four, minor nitpick, but Gombario would say 'those cruddy-smelling tunnels', and the tattle needs a few commas. Punctuation, people!)

Guillotine and Red Mr. I? Statue Room

That statue looks like it's been here forever. It stares so intently, as if it has something to tell us.
It resembles a Mr. I sorta, don't you think? Or maybe not. It looks kinda dumb.
Whoever made it was probably blind.
How ironic would that be, blind people making statues of eyes.

One. Misplaced words and punctuation. 'Sorta' needs to be earlier in the second text block ('sorta resembles'), and the last sentence needs a question mark. Two... the 'probably blind' remark was rude, Goombario. Out of character again. It'd be cooler if he pointed out that the statue looked blind.

Old Mushroom Room

This tomb is huge! It just keeps going down and down. Do you think we will ever find our way back up?
I think the faint scent of fresh air getting stronger as we go back up will lead us.
Seriously, how can you stand the stench down here?! Does that moustache trap odors before they reach your nose?

OK, I like this one.

"Your Death Would Be a Hassle" Mr. I? Room

It's so dark. I can't believe I actually miss Forever Forest.
Would it have killed the ancient tomb builders to have installed a nightlight?

Another good one, but also another continuity error.

Pit of 100 Entrance Hall (the huge room with the pipe)

Is that... light? How did they even get that big of a beam this far down?
I'm not complaining, but it does make you wonder. Whatever the case, it had to take a lot of work.
Whoever built this place really wanted this room to stand out.

OK, this one is good.

So, to summarize, most of the Pit of 100 room tattles are good. A few are kinda... off. A few are good as long as you've been to Forever Forest. Perhaps there was originally a more stony block blocking the way to the Pit in an earlier version of the hack?

Procrastine posted:

From what little I've played, I've noticed a minor change to Tattle from the original: Goombario no longer tells you attack and defense values for some reason. I'm guessing they changed them a lot during development and didn't want to have to update the tattle text each time?

I do actually notice in the next episode, as I'm fighting the Goomba King.

quote:

Ooh, that's a good idea! On it.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 19, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Procrastine posted:

This looks interesting, I'll try it out. From what little I've played, I've noticed a minor change to Tattle from the original: Goombario no longer tells you attack and defense values for some reason. I'm guessing they changed them a lot during development and didn't want to have to update the tattle text each time? You missed some area tattles fwiw, each screen has a different one. It might be worth showing the new areas on the map screen, and by "might" I mean it'll be very underwhelming. The goomba tomb isn't any worse the Ocarina of Time's Shadow Temple imo, and that game was rated E at the time.

Yeah, Pro Mode did that too, and it's kind of an unfortunate change. I can kind of see why they did that though, as in Paper Mario 64 and TTYD, enemies don't actually have an attack stat. Instead, the amount of damage an attack deals in 64 and TTYD are tied to the attacks themselves. IntSys just mostly sets the attacks from an enemy to deal the same amount of damage (Or enemies just have 1 attack period), but if an attack deals a different amount of damage, Goombario or Goombella would usually note such a thing in their tattle. But if the ROM hack changes the damage values of all attacks an enemy has, that would be kind of a lot of info to cram into those. And since Tattle shows the HP bars, there's little need to keep HP around if they're taking out the stats part of the tattle. The most unfortunate loss is the lack of information on defense, since that is tied to the enemy along with HP.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Prologue - Part 2 : The Goomba King Gets Buff

With the area to the west of Goomba Village thoroughly explored, it’s time to set off for Toad Town. But before that…

The tree next to the Goomba family’s house drops Goomnuts when hammered. They restore 3 FP, and will be useful later when we get access to Tayce T.’s cooking. I ended up stocking up on a few (you can get one Goomnut each time you leave the village and re-enter). Combined with Mushrooms we found earlier (and got from the Goombas outside the Pit of 100 Trials), our inventory is full of HP- and FP-restoring goodies.
Now, it’s time to head to Goomba Road.

There’re lots of bad Goombas around these parts.

It seems pretty nice to me. Oh look, a sign!

All right, I get the h—

Oh. :v:

Fortunately, the Goombas here aren’t any tougher than they were before. I easily deal with this group, but the next group of Goombas down the path…

…has a Spiked Goomba in the back! Which poses a problem. Let’s say I do every Action Command perfectly. It’ll take Mario and Goombario one turn to take out the Goombas in the front, then two turns to deal with the Spiked Goomba in back.

Goombario won’t be able to help while Mario’s attacking the Spiked Goomba, either - he’d hurt his head if he tried headbonking that spiky helmet.

By battle’s end, Mario ended up taking a total of 4 damage from just one Spiked Goomba. Fortunately, the Star Points from the battle were able to push Mario to Level 2, so he gets a free heal from the level up.

For the time being, I have enough BP, and I’m not using FP much yet. I’ll start by getting a HP increase - Mario needs the survivability.

I also make sure to get the First Strike on any further Goombas I encounter, which will do 2 damage to the frontmost enemy if it’s a Hammer attack, and 1 if it’s a Jump. The Hammer First Strike is enough to KO one of the Goombas in front without fighting.

We make our way down the road, past coin blocks and through several more marauding Goombas without much trouble. Getting the First Strike helps a lot.

Next up: a red ? block. Red ? blocks have Badges inside.

This one has the ‘Close Call’ badge, which we’re putting on immediately. When Mario has 5 HP or less (known affectionately as ‘Danger’), this badge makes attacks miss, some of the time - in vanilla Paper Mario, it’s 1/3 of the time. I have no idea if that chance has been changed in Master Quest.

There’s a mushroom on the board, but let’s keep it there for now - our inventory is stuffed, and anyway, there’s a Heart Block (which refills HP and FP) just down the path. As for the reason there’s a Heart Block here, well…

It’s a direct order from the Goomba King. That’s right!
I’m sorry, but the only way by is through the Goomba Bros. That’s me, Red Goomba, and my brother, Blue Goomba.

…the reason is that we’re about to fight our first miniboss: the Red and Blue Goombas! Though calling them a miniboss is a bit much.

This is Red Goomba. He's the older of the two notorious Goomba Bros.
The Goomba King ordered him to try to stop you.
You can take this guy, no prob. He has just a little more HP than an ordinary Goomba.

This is Blue Goomba. He's the younger of the two notorious Goomba Bros.
As you heard in his little speech, he's one of the Goomba King's men.
He doesn't look that healthy. He's weaker than his brother.

The Goomba Brothers are slightly stronger than their appearance in the original game. There, Blue had 6 HP, and Red had 7. Here, each has been given 2 extra HP.

They each attack for 2 damage instead of 1, too, so Mario’ll take chip damage even if he dodges. Good thing we’ve got an inventory full of Mushrooms.

Some repeated hammering/headbonking defeats Blue without too much trouble, provoking an anguished reaction from Red Goomba. Red doesn’t get any stronger, though.

Because Red has a bigger HP bar, I try Power Jumping. It works like a charm!

Unlike regular jumps, where Mario springs into the air and lands a second time on doing the action command, Power Jump only hits once. The action command will add an extra 1 damage to the attack, though, bringing it up to 4 damage (as seen here).

One more Headbonk and Power Jump does the trick, and the Goomba brothers beat it.

After a quick trip to the Heart block on the previous screen, it’s time to find out what’s farther to the east.

Turns out it’s a Save Block on the lower path, and the path forward on the upper one.

A little farther down the road is our last chance to prepare before the actual boss of the Prologue: the Goomba King! Fortunately, the battle with Red and Blue Goombas went fairly well, so we don’t need to do much.
It’s time to show this ‘King’ what we’re made of!

That’s a very slightly impressive-looking fortress.

Hey, look, Mario! See that building over there?
I'm pretty sure there used to be a bridge on the other side. I wonder what happened to it.

And that’s a very slightly impressive-looking Goomba. We immediately find ourselves sucked into a battle.

Music: Goomba King's Decree

Hey Mario! I think maybe we ought to take out the Goomba Bros. first, don't you think?
They must be pretty weak since we just finished beating them up back there.

Red and Blue Goomba have lost the 2-HP buffs they had in our last encounter, but they’re somehow at full Health again! In the regular Paper Mario, they’d have only 2 HP left (each) after our previous dust-up.
Fortunately, we have a secret weapon: the Goomnut Tree in the background. Hammering the tree will drop that very large, spiky Goomnut on the heads of the Goomba King and sundry.

In regular Paper Mario, that’d be enough to KO Red and Blue Goomba again. Here, it’ll take a little more pounding.
Sadly, the Goomba King can drop spiky Goomnuts on us, too (once).

Next turn, we’ve got enough accumulated damage to KO Red with Goombario’s Headbonk, and Blue with Mario’s Power Jump.

Sadly, the Goomba King shows his non-Goomnut-related power with a nasty spin kick! In vanilla Paper Mario, the kick only did 1 damage. Master Quest has boosted it to 3.

How much HP does the Goomba King have, anyway?

Answer: 12 HP. He took 3 damage from the Goomnut, so he started with 15 HP in total. Not bad for a first boss. (In the original game, he had 10.)

This is the Goomba King. He's really big. I mean, look at him! He looks really powerful.
He's the boss of Red Goomba and Blue Goomba. Who cares if he's strong? You're much stronger.
Gee, I wonder what he ate to become so big? I'd like to be a bit bigger, too.

One other thing I only just noticed: Master Quest omits the bit where he tells you enemies’ attack and defense in the Tattle blurb itself. Rude!
Anyway, with his lackeys gone, there’s nothing to do but unload as much damage on the Goomba King as we can.

Unfortunately, a few missed action commands later, and the battle’s going… not so hot.

Luckily, the Close Call badge puts in work, letting us completely avoid one of the Goomba King’s attacks.

The King’s next attack lands, but at this point, he’s almost KO’d himself. One last Hammer attack should do it.

With the Goomba King defeated… he retreats into the walls of his fortress. And there’s still no bridge. Now what?

Of course, King Goomba! I hid it in the grass outside the fortress.
Outside the… You idiot! You didn’t hide it in here? Mario will find it for sure!

Let’s find this switch, then!

Hammering the nearby tree yields no switch, but a Star Piece does fall out.

The nearby grass tuft, though, yields the switch. Hitting it…

…makes the fortress turn into the missing bridge! All right. Let’s get going.

But as Mario and co. leave, the game notes that Kammy Koopa, Bowser’s No. 1 Henchkoopa, has been spying on them…

Badges: 2/87 (New: Close Call)

Star Pieces: 4/180

• The Red and Blue Goombas have 2 extra HP each in their first appearance, giving them 9 and 8 HP respectively.
• When the Red and Blue Goombas show back up in the King Goomba fight, they’ve lost the extra HP, but they’re fully healed instead of at 2 Health each.
• The Goomba King has 15 HP instead of 10, and his spin kick does 3 damage instead of 1.
• Goombario doesn’t detail enemy stats any more.
   When I asked in the romhack’s Discord channel, someone explained that this is carried over from the earlier ‘Pro Mode’ romhack.

Next Time On Master Quest: We meet some members of the Toad Town Mafia.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 3, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh yeah, the other reason I believe the stats got cut out. Pro Mode kind of took a bit of a shortcut and doubled the amount of damage Mario takes instead of just increasing attack power. Due to how Paper Mario's damage formula works (IntSys did a really good job of making it look simple on the surface and having it so the player never really has to worry about too much beyond that, though it's kind more complicated than that under the hood, aspects of which these hacks take advantage of), doubling the damage Mario takes instead of increasing attack damage actually means any defensive boosts (stats, defending properly) were twice as effective as well. Though from what Quackles told me, this isn't the case in Master Quest. So if it's a holdover from that, it could probably get fixed in a later version. Or they could just leave it alone or something.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Huh. A mod that makes the game more challenging without immediately bending the player over the table? Color me surprised. Never have gotten a chance to play Paper Mario 64 (Did play it’s first sequel on the Gamecube though), maybe once we get some power and internet here, I’ll see about getting this.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
This hack looks like it's extremely My poo poo, i'm really surprised it exists. Good luck with the LP!

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.
I'm really digging how you're presenting this; the difference recaps are particularly delightful.

Looks like the Prologue matched the original game pretty closely in terms of fights and story; part of me hopes that continues so it makes the differences easier to see, but another part hopes this flies off the rails as soon as possible.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I pretty much never use first-strikes after getting Dizzy Attack, did hammer strikes deal full damage in the original game or is that a change the hack made?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Procrastine posted:

I pretty much never use first-strikes after getting Dizzy Attack, did hammer strikes deal full damage in the original game or is that a change the hack made?

They always did half damage afaik, whether or not you had action command unlocked or not

Changing that is a welcome change to accommodate a more difficult hard-hitting hack

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 21, 2019

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

They always did half damage afaik, whether or not you had action command unlocked or not

Changing that is a welcome change to accommodate a more difficult hard-hitting hack

That's good to know!

Since I didn't mention it earlier: Jump first attacks still do only 1 damage, though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Quackles posted:

That's good to know!

Since I didn't mention it earlier: Jump first attacks still do only 1 damage, though.

Maybe it'll change once you unlock the better boots (and jumps)? I remember landing one of those did 3 (or 5) damage, though you're a long ways away from getting them, or so we assume.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Procrastine posted:

Jumps and hammer first strikes just have you do a no action command version of the attack in the base game. The full damage appears to be a semi-backport from TTYD. (Though doesn't look like they were able to put action commands on first strikes.)

Quackles posted:

That's good to know!

Huh. Weird to give hammer that change, but not jumps. I guess they couldn't get it to do 2 hits or something?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I sincerely thought this was going to be one of those creepypasta romhacks when that new dungeon showed up.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Prologue - Part 3 : The Mushroom Mafia and the Mountain

We begin with an interlude: Kammy Koopa reporting in to Bowser’s Castle.

It’s nothing special, at first…

And Mario whips him so easily? What a wimp!

…though it does shed some light on how the Goomba “King” became a King in the first place.

After the conversation turns to the Star Spirits, we also get a preview of our first chapter boss:

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Koopas!

They show Bowser a preview of their special team attack, but we don’t get to actually see it. In the base game, it’s forming a spinning tower.

The interlude concludes with Bowser realizing that the Koopa Bros may be a good team, but they’re not the smartest team…

…and we return to Our Heroes. It seems as though a new area has been added to Goomba Road - this bit with the archway is new! That stone block won’t yield to Mario’s current hammer, though.

What a neat archway. I bet it took a long time to carve that out.
To the east is Toad Town. To the west is my house.

There’s also a fenced-off area Mario can blow a way into later.

We can’t do anything here right now, so it’s time to keep moving forward.

This ? block contains a Sleepy Sheep, but our inventory’s full. We’ll come back and get it later once we store some stuff at the Item Shop in Toad Town.

There’s also a spring in a tree. If we hammer the tree, it falls down…

…leading to a chest hidden on top of the nearby awning. It has a new Badge inside!

Hammer Throw will let us toss a Hammer at various inconveniently-located enemies, for the low cost of 3 FP. The attack also does one extra damage! We don’t have to fear Spiked Goombas with this any more.
Notably, this badge has been rebalanced from the original Paper Mario. There, it cost 2 BP to equip rather than 1, and the attack only cost 2 FP instead of 3 - but there was also no damage boost.

With the badge collected and equipped, it’s time to head into Toad Town.

Music: Toad Town

Hey, it’s that Toad who gave us the ‘cake’ back in the Introduction!
(OK, it’s probably not, but I can imagine, right?)

The town is in an uproar! The princess kidnapped! The castle uprooted! It’s bedlam!
Please, Mario! Save Her Highness!

Unfortunately, only a small portion of Toad Town’s facilities are available to us at the moment. The nearest is Russ T.’s information shack, to get useful lore dumps.

So it is told that far away, at the very top of the sky, there exists a Star Haven, where Stars make their home.

Wait, what?!
Oh, mamma mia. I’m sure this won’t have a major impact on the plot of the story later on, no sirree.

There are said to be Stars that are particularly strong and good-hearted. They are called Star Spirits.
Using the Star Rod, these Star Spirits grant the wishes of everyone in this world.
That's why, when we make a wish to the night sky and it comes true, it's all thanks to the Star Spirits and their Star Rod.

Some of Russ T’s other lore dumps are the same as in Paper Mario, so I’m skipping over them.
Some aren’t.

If you go east from the place where Princess Peach's Castle used to be, you'll find a place called Shooting Star Summit.

Wait a second…

The older sister, Donluvlee, can find things you’re looking for with her connections.
The hobby of the younger brother, Donlow, is collecting Star Pieces. If you take him Star Pieces, he'll swap them for Badges.

That’s all Russ T.’s got to say for now, but what he’s told us already is confusing enough! Let’s see what else Toad Town has to offer.

At the shop, we’re able to store all the goon nuts Goomnuts we carried from Goomba Village. They’ll be more useful later when we get access to Tayce T’s cooking.

In the original Paper Mario, the shop sold POW blocks. Here, they sell Eggs instead, which restore 5 HP and are useful in cooking.

The shop’s price list has also been… tweaked, presumably to give a higher difficulty. Mushrooms, which cost 5 Coins in the base game, now cost 8. Fright Jars are also (much) more expensive, going from a cost of 5 coins to one of 15! However, Honey Syrup is now cheaper. Its price has been reduced from 10 coins to 8.

Because we have inventory space, we’re able to backtrack and collect the Sleepy Sheep I mentioned earlier.

This section of Toad Town is also home to a Dojo. It’s currently closed.

There’s one other thing in this area of the town: the pipe leading to Mario and Luigi’s house!

And you’re all right! After all that castle craziness, I was really worried about you.

He’s happy to see us, but he’s kind of miffed that he’s stuck staying at home.

I have lots of talents, and I can jump really high, and...
What? Stay home and take care of the house? Man, that's not exciting at all!

If Luigi isn’t a bonus boss later, I’ll be pretty disappointed.
Anyway, back to Toad Town!

The central plaza of Toad Town has a bunch of buildings.

This is the central area of Toad Town, a plaza in front of Princess Peach's Castle. Pleasant Path begins to the east of here.
This used to be a bustling area before Bowser's attack. Guests at the castle were always in and out. And tourists came from all over to see the castle.
Donlon also lives nearby. If you need help, he has good info, being a mobster and all. Don’t tell him I said that.
There's also a Toad House where you can take a short rest and a post office where you can pick up mail for your party members.
Also, over by the flower garden, there's a guy named Rowf who's opening his own specialty shop.

If we talk to the people here, we find out more about the Don family… though why the Master Quest devs decided to turn a family of magicians into a Mafia clan, I’ll never know.

The building with the spinning roof is Donlon’s house. He also happens to be as stubborn as a mule. He rarely comes out.
As scary as he is, though, his connections are no joke. He knows just about everything.
He did a shakedown the other day! I’m glad I’m not that guy!

Up on Shooting Star Summit, there are these two siblings named Donluvlee and Donlow.
Donluvlee sells information. Her contacts are good at finding Badges or Star Pieces.
When you take Star Pieces to Donlow, he’ll trade them for Badges.
These two could help you, no? You ought to go meet them.

Oh good, Star Pieces still have the same use as the main game.

Sadly, Donlon isn’t in, and Rowf’s badge shop isn’t open yet.

The east exit is blocked by the Koopa Bros. in disguise as Toads (though we don’t know that yet).

And if we go out the south exit, there’s a big pile of fallen building materials in Mario’s way.

The post office is open, though, and there’s a letter from the Red and Blue Goombas to Goombario.

Aw, how nice of them.

Since we don’t have anywhere else to go, it’s time to go out the blue gate…

…past the ruin where Peach’s Castle stood…

…and on the road to Shooting Star Summit.

But first, we’re going to stop in at the Don family’s house.

This is the house of an amazingly gorgeous woman, the beautiful mobster Donluvlee.
Donlow, who collects Star Pieces, also lives here.
It’s weird. I know they’re in the mob. I just don’t have proof.
But it’s safe to say they are. They’re not dangerous, are they?
What if they don’t like people knowing?!

Sadly, Merluvlee Donluvlee is experiencing a bit of a supply chain issue right now…

…but her younger brother, Donlow, is always collecting Star Pieces, and will trade badges for them! His collection is a little different than in the vanilla game, though.

Here’s the full badge list:

• Attack FX A: 1 Star Piece (SP). This changes the sound effects of Mario’s attacks.
  • Chill Out: 2 SP - This cost 3 SP in the base game. It prevents Mario from being hit by an enemy First Strike.
  • Pay-Off: 3 SP - This cost only 1 SP in the base game. It makes more coins appear after a battle if Mario was beaten up a lot.
  • Berserker: 5 SP - This badge is completely new, and appears to be based on a dummied-out badge in the original Paper Mario. In that game, it increases Mario’s Attack by 2, but he acts on his own, and the player only controls the partner. This is something of a problem, as only Mario can use items!
  • HP Drain: 5 SP - This cost a ruinous 15 SP (!) in the base game. It reduces Mario’s attack by 1, but he restores 1 HP every turn.
  • Pretty Lucky: 7 SP - This cost 5 SP in the base game. It gives enemy attacks a 1 in 10 chance of missing (assuming the probability hasn’t been changed).
  • Heart Finder: 7 SP - This cost 12 SP in the base game. It makes HP-restoring Hearts more likely to drop from enemies after a battle.
  • Flower Finder: 7 SP - This also cost 12 SP originally. Same as Heart Finder, but with FP-restoring Flowers.
  • Happy Heart: 10 SP - This cost only 8 SP in the base game. It heals Mario for 1 HP a turn.
  • Happy Flower: 10 SP - This also cost 8 SP before. It gives FP regeneration, at the rate of 1 a turn.
  • Double Dip: 15 SP - In Paper Mario, Rowf sold this at the badge shop for 100 Coins, starting after Chapter 2. It lets Mario use two items per turn.
  • Mega HP Drain: 20 SP - This badge is another new one, but there’s no analogue for it in the base game. It acts like HP Drain, except it lowers Mario’s attack by 2, and restores 2 HP “per enemy hit”. This might require some testing later.
  • Zap Tap: 20 SP - This only cost 10 SP in Paper Mario - but it was one of the best badges you could get! I’m not surprised the price has been raised. The badge electrifies Mario. Most enemies will take contact damage, which interrupts combo attacks. It also let Mario jump on electrified enemies, at least in the original game.
  • Flower Saver: 20 SP - This originally cost 25 SP. It reduces the FP cost of moves by 1, to a minimum of 1.
  • Crazy Heart: 20 SP - Another new badge that was removed from the original game. It restores 3 HP a turn, assuming its stats haven’t been changed.
  • Flower Fanatic: 30 SP - Another previously dummied-out badge. It reduces the FP cost of moves by 2, also to a minimum of 1. Apparently, this stacks with Flower Saver.

The following badges were sold by Merlow, but are not sold by Donlow: Feeling Fine (prevents status effects), Peekaboo (reveals enemy HP without Tattling), Money Money (enemies drop more coins after battle), and Power Plus (gives Mario +1 Attack).

Anyway, I don’t have that many Star Pieces right now, so I’m going to hold off on buying anything. Instead, it’s time to head to Shooting Star Summit.

Going on the upper path from the fork in the road, we find ourselves in a new area, with a Star Piece we can get later.

Shooting Star Summit is just a bit further to the east.

But, there’s two east exits: an upper one that leads to Shooting Star Summit, and a lower one that leads to…

Somewhere new.

I’m not sure where we are now. This area isn’t on any maps…

This area has strange crystal trees and a cool waterfall. Hitting the trees makes them drop stardust on you.

Past the waterfall, there’s an entrance to… what looks like some sort of temple.

Hitting a nearby crystal tree makes it drop a hidden Star Piece.

There’s also a badge I don’t recognize on a ledge near the waterfall, but we have no way to get up there.

Inside the temple, we see a definite star motif.

I’ve heard of this place - it’s the Star Temple.
People used to come here to call upon and honor the Star Spirits.

In addition to the stone with the star-shaped cutout by the reflecting pool, there are seven of these niches with a star-shaped cutout - presumably, one for each star spirit.

At the back of the temple, a balcony shows us the night sky. I suspect that if we come back here with all the Star Spirits, this area will open the way to… what?

There’s nothing we can do here at the moment, so it’s time to turn around and head for Shooting Star Summit.

This time, we take the upper exit instead of the lower one, and wind up at Shooting Star Summit proper.

There’s a Star Piece hidden around the back of the mountain, to the left.

And our first Star Spirit, Eldstar, is waiting at the top.

The other Star Spirits show up to tell Mario the big scoop: that Bowser filched the Star Rod, and they need Mario’s help to sort things out.

And that’s the tea.

Do you think the Princess is going to be all right? I’m really worried about her.

And with that, the game whisks us away to Peach’s Castle.

Badges: 3/87 (New: Hammer Throw)

Star Pieces: 6/180

• Goomba Road has an extra area with a cool archway.
• Hammer Throw badge costs 1 less BP, 1 more FP, and does 1 more damage.
 • Toad Town’s wizards have given up magic and become mafiosi.
• Toad Town shop sells Eggs instead of POW Blocks.
 • Mushrooms and Fright Jars are more expensive at Toad Town shop; Honey Syrups are cheaper.
 • Donlow sells different badges for Star Pieces, including several not previously seen.
• Star Temple found softly glowing near Shooting Star Summit. Purpose unknown.

Next Time On Master Quest: The Princess gives Mario the ability to perform Action Commands… wait, that can’t be right.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 3, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The... mafia?

What.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Buncha RIP offs if you ask me. Dont even have a goofy game parlor.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Everything is better with the mafia involved.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Well, this already seems to be running off the rails.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure why we're suddenly dealing with the mafia but I can't say I'm against it, especially with the extra of people reacting to it.

The new area looks interesting. I'm guessing it's a post-game for a game that had none, so that should be neat, but also really far from now.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Well, that's... certainly an inexplicable change, at least at this time. I wonder how that'll pan out later on throughout the game? I can kind of see where they might be going with Merluvlee as an info broker, but I'm wondering what it was that meant she couldn't just stay as a psychic.

I remember the Star Temple from Pro Mode! I thought it was a very pretty setpiece, although back then I had an old laptop that would chug when entering the location. I should try finishing it now, now that I have a better computer, or else just switch to Master Quest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Part 4 : Chuck Quizmo and Other Diversions

Princess Peach isn’t doing so hot, all things considered.

It doesn’t help that Bowser keeps showing up to gloat.

Of course, I’ll only grant requests that I like… anyway, think about it.

Fortunately, someone’s heard Peach’s call for help:

It’s a Star Spirit!

A very small Star Spirit, but we’ll take what we can get.

I came from Star Haven to grant your wish!

While wishing is one way out of the situation, well..

…Twink’s just a Star Kid, so he doesn’t have much power to work with.

I want you to give this to him.

Peach can help from the sidelines, at least.

This is Speedy Spin, isn’t it?

In the original game, this was the Lucky Star pendant that let Mario use action commands. Now, it’s the Speedy Spin badge.

The fact that we’re getting this badge in particular feels like a nod to speedrunners. Mario has a Spin Dash that lets him move quickly (done by pressing Z while walking), and Speedy Spin makes Mario dash faster and farther while using it. People who speedrun normal Paper Mario try to get Speedy Spin as soon as it becomes available, in Rowf’s badge shop - but Rowf only has three badges from his stock on display at any one time. So, getting the badge can become an exercise of exiting and re-entering Toad Town to try and get the badge to show in the shop.

Here, Peach has sent it to Mario by special delivery, removing a large source of speedrun RNG.

Peach also has a message for Twink.

After Twink leaves, there is a quiet moment, under the stars.

Next, we return to our heroes, coming back from Shooting Star Summit…

…and then a shooting star konks Mario on the head. Talk about quick (if painful) delivery!

We get our promised badge…

…before being ambushed by a Magikoopa.

First I’ll take you down, and then Lord Bowser will give me my old job back from Kammy!

He’s apparently Kamek, who wasn’t originally part of the Paper Mario games until Sticker Star.
(In the original game, this was just an unnamed Magikoopa.)

We find ourselves horsed into a battle!

This is Kamek. This old Koopa must be going senile if he thinks he can take us on!
I mean, he isn’t even as strong as a normal Magikoopa, thanks to how old he is.
Well, it might be something else, too. He looks like he skipped lunch.
Whatever the case, he has low HP compared to others of his class, so we should be grateful.

OK, Goombario, what has Nintendo Treehouse told you about respecting your elders?!

Out-of-character moments aside, take a look at what Goombario said at the end there. Kamek has less HP than the average Magikoopa… at 13?! In the base game, most Magikoopas have 11 HP - and the one who ambushes Mario outside Shooting Star Summit has only 8. Exactly what sort of shenanigans can fully-powered-up Magikoopas get up to?

Being able to use action commands comes in handy. A timed jump will knock Kamek off that broom and make him easier to hit.

Now let’s see: What sort of attacks can Kamek—

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY! That’s a spicy meatball of a magic spell to take.

In case you didn’t notice, that magic bolt was aimed from offscreen, making it almost impossible to react to. In regular Paper Mario, Magikoopas fire a slow-moving magic bolt from their wands to Mario. This happened a LOT faster.

Well, if Kamek has that level of firepower, it’s time to bring our A-game. Mario will go for as many Power Jumps as he can, while Goombario will headbonk away.

I even managed to block one of the magic spells… a little… but it still leaves me in a bad situation.

Time to go all out again!

Fortunately, that’s all for Kamek. And late-game Magikoopas are gonna be even tougher? Yikes.

With the battle over, Twink has one more thing for us: Peach’s message.

I get the feeling, though… that she’s very lonely.

And there he goes. We’ve got a job to do.

Speedy Spin has been changed from the base game. It is now completely free to equip! Of course, we do.

It’s the only way to travel.

When we get back to Toad Town, the plot finds us again.

But we have some loose ends to tie up before we head thatta-way.

There’s a Star Piece in the tree next to Donlon’s house…

And where would we be without checking the Toad Town message board? Both sides of it.

For the next cool thing, we need to travel back to Goomba Village.

There’s a block just past the Goomba King’s fort with a Super Shroom in it - you have to hammer a brick block to make it appear. We missed it the first time through.

Despite our new spin dash, we end up running into some Goombas on the way. This looks like a job for…

Hammer Throw! The damage boost lets us take out the Spiked Goomba in one hit.

We end up leveling up from the battle. I’m taking FP this time since we seem to be using our FP-draining abilities more.

Goomba village is as peaceful as ever, but… is that a new resident in town?

Kaaaa-wiiiizzz! Iiiiit’s Chuck Quizmo, the wandering quiz master! Chuck is going to be a MAJOR source of Star Pieces as we play the game. Each time we answer one of his questions correctly, we get a Star Piece.

There’s one little tweak to Chuck Quizmo in Master Quest that I can really appreciate.

In vanilla Paper Mario, Chuck Quizmo would ask you one question, and then vanish from the town he was currently visiting - whether you got the question right or not. You’d have to go track him down again. Here, you can keep answering questions until he runs out, or we flub.

I don’t intend to flub!

What did Luigi want to tell you about back at Princess Peach’s party?
[His stamp collection / Zero SP challenge / Real estate investing]

This one’s a reference to a hard mode that’s in the game. If you talk to Luigi at the start of the game, he offers to turn hard mode on; in the hard mode, you gain no SP and so don’t level up. However, you get to equip 16 badges for free, in exchange.

I did not take Luigi up on his offer.

How many bushes can you search in Jr. Troopa’s playground?
[Five / Six / Seven]

How did Princess Peach close her invitation letter?
[Sincerely, Peach / Best wishes, Peach / Yours truly, Peach]

How many windows are there in Goomba Village?
[One / Two / Three]

Which one of the Goomba King’s minions had more health?
[Red Goomba / Blue Goomba / Neither]

After six Star Pieces, we seem to have bankrupted Chuck Quizmo for the time being.

So, he disappears.

Incidentally, some of those questions are new, and not in the original Paper Mario. I guess a good quizmaster’s got to stay ahead of the times!

Now that we’ve seen the quizmaster, it’s time to head back to Toad Town and get the plot rolling - but we’ve got one more stop.

Mario’s got some mail! Two letters, in fact.

I live in Toad Town. I’ve been training at the Dojo so I can save Princess Peach!
I’ll write to you again later. Bye!

Thanks for participating in our quiz show. Our ratings are through the roof. Are those Star Pieces helping you?
Please keep coming back until you answer the last question! I’ll cheer you on!
Vanna T

That’s all the lollygagging we can do, so it’s time to go bother Donlon.

After quite a lot of knocking, Donlon invites us in.

He has something important to tell us…

…but we’ve got to sit through a long story of his, first.

. . . but the crew . . . suddenly . . . a few G’s . . . and I . . . standing face to face . . .
Then, the goomah . . . the rat . . . was . . . getting shot up . . . was amazing . . .
. . . I was still so young then . . . I did a mock . . . but . . . got away . . .
. . . . . . and . . . . . . then . . . . . . so . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I’m not gonna lie, I think the ‘mafia’ bit is overdone, but this line made me laugh.

Anyway, back to business.

…So, anyway, that is why I am able to help you.
Right now, your main goal must be to save Princess Peach as quickly as is humanly possible, but…

Unfortunately, the road’s still blocked.

Most of all, though, you shouldn’t go ask the Mafia for help.
That would be really bad for us… I mean, for you! Don’t even think about it!

Oh, now of course we’re gonna ask the Mafia for help.

Hmmm! You aren’t Toads, are you?!

….Um… we don’t know what you’re talking about.

Yeah, right!

Fortunately, Donlon can use his magic powers Mafia connections to show these ‘Toads’ how things really stack up.

And that’s that. Donlon has one more piece of advice before we head out:

One of my associates knows him. In Koopa Village, you might run into the old geezer.

Koopa Koot is in the mafia???

Well, whatever. It’s time to head out on Mario’s grand adventure.

Badges: 4/87 (New: Speedy Spin)

Star Pieces: 13/180

Chuck Quizmo’s Quiz Questions: 6/64?

• Princess Peach gives Speedy Spin badge for delivery to Mario, instead of Lucky Star pendant.
• Mario ambushed by Kamek outside Shooting Star Hill (as opposed to just some random Magikoopa).
• ‘Kamek’ has 13 HP (originally 8), and has replaced his 3-damage magic wand with spicy 6-damage magic meteors.
• Speedy Spin badge equips for free.
• Chuck Quizmo lets you answer quiz questions until you go bust.
• Chuck Quizmo has new quiz questions.
• Koopa Koot is apparently a mafioso.

Next Time On Master Quest: Two words: ‘Spiked Paragoomba’.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I agree about the Mafia thing. A Master Quest shouldn't change any dialogue that's not necessary simply because that's not the focus of that playthrough.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

It wouldn't be a proper romhack without some pointless dialog changes. Frankly, I'm surprised no one's dropped any f-bombs yet.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

This is nowhere close to the worst romhack dialogue changes I've ever seen, but it still begs the question of why? We just saw that they didn't, and probably couldn't, change any of the animations. He's still a wizard. They're all still wizards. So what was the point in attempting to make them the mafia, of all things? Maybe this will play in to some added bonus boss later on, but I still can't imagine the mafia angle is 100% needed for that either.

Gameplay stuff looks cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

*points wand at the wizard family* mafia!!
*points wand at koopa koot* mafioso!!